The online racing simulator
Getting a permission from a manufacturer for detailed replica mods
Hello everyone,

I have been working on detailed replicas of some real cars lately and currently I am trying to get a permission from a manufacturer to use a real design, names and logos for my mods. It proved much more difficult than I imagined, but it is possible. I have started this thread to find answers for questions and issues that I have ran into during the process and maybe this thread will be helpful for more modders who would also like to try to get a license.

It looks like the manufacturer agreed to license my mods under some conditions and I need only a few more steps to get the license for a couple of cars. The first problem is, that the manufacturer needs the final models for a quality inspection. However, the whole mappings and wheels are built in the LFS Editor, so it cannot be viewed if the inspectors do not have the S3 license. Is there any way how to export a textured models (for example into the LFS viewer)?

The next question is, how to prove a license obtained from a manufacturer, without sharing my personal data to all users in the LFS public review system?
Quote from stuchlo :The next question is, how to prove a license obtained from a manufacturer, without sharing my personal data to all users in the LFS public review system?

I think you can send an e-mail with the documents to the LFS developers and they can forward it to the reviewers.
Quote from stuchlo :It looks like the manufacturer agreed to license my mods under some conditions and I need only a few more steps to get the license for a couple of cars. The first problem is, that the manufacturer needs the final models for a quality inspection. However, the whole mappings and wheels are built in the LFS Editor, so it cannot be viewed if the inspectors do not have the S3 license. Is there any way how to export a textured models (for example into the LFS viewer)?

Could you just send them the .OBJ file of the car body without the wheels? Would that be enough for the inspection?
Quote from Flame CZE :I think you can send an e-mail to the LFS developers with the documents and they can forward it to the reviewers.

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, this could work Smile

Quote from Flame CZE :Could you just send them the .OBJ file of the car body without the wheels? Would that be enough for the inspection?

Currently trying to find out, if the .OBJ without textures and wheels is enough.
2 be fair i would send some photos of that vehicle with all textures, if they need such thing. I do not know how was it with Saab from timdcnoder if he needed to send such photos/obj/video to Saab
Okay, the problem has resolved itself, the quality inspection is mainly about visuals and therefore screenshots and videos are enough Smile Currently waiting for the final version of a contract to sign.
It looked scary at first, but went pretty smoothly at the end. People from Škoda were very nice and cooperative and thanks to them two new licensed mods are available now (and two more are on a way) Smile

So, getting a license can take some time, but it was worth it. Of course, there are some limitations (for example forbidden derivatives).
Thats really impressive man, well done for giving it a shot, it goes to show that in life you will never know if you don't try, the worst someone can say is "no"!
For my Saab 9-3 foto’s was enough.

I did try to get the Fraud Wheeler E2 licensed but ford wanted a $1.000.000 insurance fund for image damages before giving the green light for that so I didn’t continue that avenue.
Quote from timdecnodder :I did try to get the Fraud Wheeler E2 licensed but ford wanted a $1.000.000 insurance fund for image damages before giving the green light for that so I didn’t continue that avenue.

This is quite sad. I am glad, that I did not know this before, I would definitely not dare to ask for a permission. BTW, your Saab mod inspired me to try Smile

In my case, I had to fill an official application form to clarify my request and to show screenshots of one finished (unpublished) mod to persuade a commission about quality of finished products. After license approval, the manufacturer prepared a detailed contract about usage of logos and design of the picked models in Live for Speed, which I had to sign. The last step was to send screenshots and videos of a particular car for a final quality approval. It took some time, but much less than the creation of the mod itself Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG