The online racing simulator
20th Anniversary!
(149 posts, closed, started )
Happy 20 years, developers! LFS made me have poor grades in 2003 Big grin

But on the other hand it boosted my English, made me make some programming projects, probably taught some online communication etiquette. And of course, helped with learning to drive a real car -- I got the licence at 39, when for many it's hard to learn and be agile -- but it wasn't the case with me, thanks to LFS.
Quote from Flotch :Indeed, that's a surprise!

I wonder what else Eric is hiding up his sleeve. Big grin
Quote from miata :Happy Birthday LFS!

And just to be clear. Is this the first time the community has ever heard about Bancroft Autodrome and Fairfield test centre!?

I remember years and years ago (maybe 6 or 7 years?) Scawen mentioned in passing that Eric was working on new tracks, but no details were given. I'm guessing these are they.

Anyway, it's good to see some new track content. Or at least the prospect of it.
1000hz is really interesting. It will surely spark some interest among sim youtubers as LFS afaik will be the only sim operating at that frequency.

Whenever I used LFS to teach how to drive to someone else, they usually suffered motion sickness, especially when they were doing maneuvers in an open field possibly because the image "jumped". I am guessing this will be fixed with the update since difference between 17,17, and 16 is a lot smaller than 2,2 and 1.

Screen manufacturers are also chasing the magic number of 1000hz monitor refresh rate, so it will be a bit of future proofing as well. Running LFS on a 1000hz monitor at 1000 fps and 1000hz physics rate would be the smoothest gaming experience.
Quote from nexttime :1000hz is really interesting. It will surely spark some interest among sim youtubers as LFS afaik will be the only sim operating at that frequency.

In BeamNG the physics simulation runs at 2000Hz, which is a vehicle sim, not a racing sim tho.
Looks very promising as always Scawen, I'm looking forward to a test patch.

Best of luck!
Quote from Flotch :Now the question is : where is @Degats for the comparison screenshots of South City ? Omg omg omg

Been having some trouble with this batch, the processing order was a bit funky so I needed to manually sort them and I'd managed to break my screenshot code. Hopefully uploading shortly
freaking nice ! Thanks a lot man !!!
And thank you Eric for doing a such brillant South City !
Thank you for the comparison shots! Thumbs up Big grin
Looking great, really cannot wait!

@Scawen, is there a chance that the Track Bitmaps can be provided for the updated South City and the 2 new tracks to get a better understanding of the road network please?
Seems like South City might have like 20-30 well variating official configs now. There will be plenty of options for racing now - not just cruisers will profit from such massive update. Surely I'll try to make a Southschleife too... Big grin
Regarding 20 years - been around bigger half of those in the international community,crazy to think how time has passed,how much time spent with this hobby. Let's go for another 20 years!
When can we see sector times ingame whitout airio?
#64 - FIZ
Well, I actually checked and the first email with the friend I am still driving online with was sent on 13th September 2002 in which I was saying hey look, LFS is getting popular! Smile
Happy 20th Anniversary LFS!
Thank you Scawen, Victor and Eric!
Updated the "before" South City overview image using a modified shader to remove the haze (thanks Martin)

https://imx.tc-g.uk/20th/05

Same link, you may need to ctrl+f5 to see it if you've opened it before
*blows dust off account*

Happy 20th Birthday!

Awesome to still seeing updates on this gem Smile
Quote from superlame :I can't stop looking at these. A b s o l u t e l y B e a u t i f u l

That one makes me wish we got a daytime aerial view of South City as well for a more direct comparison
Happy Birthday!
The airfield track looks great and good choice of setting. Thumbs up

Quote from Viperakecske :When can we see sector times ingame whitout airio?

There is an option to display your split times. Or do you mean something else?
Generally I think insim exists exactly for such more detailed customization and display stuff.
Quote from Viperakecske :When can we see sector times ingame whitout airio?

I'd be interested to read a more detailed description of this request.
Quote from Scawen :I'd be interested to read a more detailed description of this request.

I think he means that airio displayed split times and your sector time, and would grade your time from good to top against the WR on that track.
You cannot see your sector times on server whitout having airio connected
Happy Birthday!!!
Cant w8 to try the new South city!!
Quote from Viperakecske :You cannot see your sector times on server whitout having airio connected

Options - Display - Checkpoint text : [split times]
ok
This thread is closed

20th Anniversary!
(149 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG