The online racing simulator
Quote from Victor :
Using the league feature as an organiser
We were wondering if this is too complex? Many people do use the season and rounds feature so I think that's understood.

Though it might be a bit of work to fill it all in, when this was created there was a need for many options because of different league setups and requirements.

But the sign up isn't used at all I think. So with regards to the question asked earlier, is this too complicated to setup and / or use?

I've used it for a while, it's good. It does take a while to get our info in there, but our setup is not standard. (I'm a webdev too, I feel your pain in trying to cover all these possibilities neatly Wink )

The changes proposed look like they will fix all the problems we have Thumbs up

Quote from Victor :
We may do away with the car selection for events and replace that with a free-form text field where you can enter anything you want (to mention what cars will be used). The same for tracks, so you can e.g. indicate a layout name, if used.

I thought maybe the free-text could override the setup you have now, which is great for organisers if they know which cars they are using. Maybe also a default set in the season settings? For example I would then use the text 'Various' until they were chosen, then fill them in properly. Rony would do the same with 'TBC'.

If you leave the possibility of having full data in there, you could use it elsewhere - on the mod page, for example, or an icon on the mod's cover pic.

Quote from Scawen :

Description Existing Proposed
----------- -------- --------
Website section title: Leagues -> Events

Collection of Seasons: League -> Series
Season: Season -> Season (no change)
A round in a season: Round -> Round/Event (interchangeable)
An element of a round: Event -> Session

That looks to be the best fit for covering everyone without going crazy.

I think it's one of those things where you can clarify endlessly, but never really get rid of the last bit of fuzz. We use 'event' for 'a round in a season' just because we have rounds within those and it was sometimes clunky to distinguish.
For me the main problem is forgetting, sometimes I will check and there is an event in 1h, maybe I start watching some youtube, making food, etc. and so I forget about its existence
Hello!

As a long-time member of FM Fox Friday organizers, I am very pleased to read this topic. Here are some of my thoughts about handy fixes that would probably make it easier for just to race. Feel free to pick any into development!

With Playername, there should be an option to type down your racing number and it could be visible beside your name, and perhaps on the car. The host could then let several ppl with same number take a part in a race, or force to have only one dedicated number per attendant (like in some events there are, and they should go by registration!).

Skin sharing platform: like mods, there could be a platform for user-created skins you could just use straight from the pit window, as easy as changing your car or mod. Pick what you like - I bet there would be several users who would share their skins that way. There could be even a box for race number that appears on top of a skin when you enter one.

Also same thing with setups: if you are in SO4r and have Fox, there should be a button for public sets that are uploaded to setups section (in this case into FOX-SO4r). All newcomers would have setup immediately in use without downloading it from lfs.net and finding right folder to save it etc... The host could even force racers to race with a forced setup etc. If there'd be an opportunity to force a dedicated set for all racers, or a possibility to choose between just a few options without modding them.

Forced restriction on server: Like if we are racing GT2 and there are rules of restriction, host should be able to put these automatically on on top of any setup player is using. If a newcomer joins the server, but is not cabable of setting the right air intake, he will never get to track and leave for good from that server.

Damage repair: in pits, you should be able to choose which damage to fix and which to leave. Also tyre wear should be shown as a percentage, so that you could adjust which tyres to change and which to leave.

Right to let your team mate change your setups or refuel rate while you are racing - makes team managers more useful.

Refuel bar to show how many laps will that last - and the number of lap when you would have to pit next time helps calculating tactics while doing endurance. Also showing estimated amount of laps with current fuel (LFS LAZY feature).

Adding info about who has pitted and on which lap into spectate view. And which tyre compound is in use etc. For the viewers and spectators. Also intelligent spec to show where are battles going on - yeah there are insims for that but building them inside LFS.

Buddy list online is used in LFS Lazy. All features of Lazy including buddy list online should be built into LFS instead of having an insim. Like live timing on track while driving and comparison to your best speed and time which is the best Lazy feature to improve driving! Helps newcomers who do not know what insims are.

Also building AIRIO tracker features into LFS.

LFS remote build into LFS where you could just spec without joining the server.

Host be able to close and open pits like insims do. Also host to use custom starting lights. Maybe AI SC to ease the pain of event organizing =)

Pre-built !rc commands for admins / hosts.

Timing tracker (like NDR tracker) built into LFS.net under leagues and game. (perhaps this and some other tools for a small fee from host Smile )

Option to automatically copy sign-in to forum and perhaps add forced reply field into forum for sign in purposes.

Showing LFS race results, statistics and replays in Leagues section? Perhaps even points count.

And finally last but definitely not least: retro environment that includes at least old Westhill as it was left! (How much ££ do you want from us to include that?? Big grin )
Quote from pantiainen :
Good points..

I can't agree more with all of these points. Make it more user friendly and people gonna understand why we love Live For Speed. When I started back in 2010, I had the same struggle. Didn't understand what I had to do or why server kept me spectating. Also the results part will be a cool thing, something like spdo once had.

I can understand this may be lots of work, but will improve online racing for sure!
Quote from Scawen :Interesting...

There is an idea to make the name of "Upcoming Events" clickable for follow the link by default browser https://www.lfs.net/leagues/calendar
I also found out about the availability of this convenient calendar much later than I started playing, it will be convenient for new players.
How about also change "Multiplayer" to "Online Servers" in the main lobby?
Thanks for the feedback.

It can now get the images and information from the internet and Victor is working on the script that gathers the information to send to LFS.

For now I'm still using fake information, and here's the progress. I still need to do the live broadcast link.

For anyone who runs a series, if you haven't already, I recommend you add a series(league) or season logo. You'll soon be able to add event logos but it will use the season logo if there is no event logo. For example, I think the MRc RX Championship doesn't have a logo.

EDIT: Changed this paragraph about the image as Victor gave me more info:
The image can be png or jpg and must be a 16:9 image with size 672x378.
The usual png vs jpg applies:
- If it contains photo or screenshot, should be jpg for good compression.
- If it has more flat colours png may be a good choice.
- Transparency is allowed (must be png in this case).

Attached images
lfs_00000074.jpg
#83 - FIZ
Dear Scawen, I really do not like that button in the upper part, too unbalanced for me.
I am still undecided if it is better to have a dedicated "page", though.

It creates confusion, all buttons should be on the right part?
Or at least aligned more precisely vertically and horizontally.
The first 5 buttons (training singleplayer, multiplayer, hotlaps and options) are all strickly Game menù.
The other two buttons, separated by a bigger vertical margin, can be external links.
I would add also the "external link icon" beside the text to make it more clear and more standard.

My 2 cents:
Attached images
proposal.jpg
Thanks for the feedback and I accept you may have some good points, but your solution doesn't really make sense to me. Tilt

A few points to make.

1) This list of events has to appear right there on the entry screen as that is basically the whole idea of it - won't explain further. Smile

2) The "Upcoming events" text was first intended as a title for the list of events so people know what is below it. It was changed to a button in response to Aleksandr_124rus suggestion above and I think it looked better as a button than how it looked in the previous iteration. But yes, it's quite wide...

3) It may not look like it but the buttons are actually vertically aligned precisely and there is symmetry about the central horizontal axis of the screen. I don't claim to be very good at graphic design but I have tried to take care with symmetry and alignment, although there are always compromises so I am sure that better solution are possible.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the feedback.

It can now get the images and information from the internet and Victor is working on the script that gathers the information to send to LFS.

For now I'm still using fake information, and here's the progress. I still need to do the live broadcast link.

For anyone who runs a series, if you haven't already, I recommend you add a series(league) or season logo. You'll soon be able to add event logos but it will use the season logo if there is no event logo. For example, I think the MRc RX Championship doesn't have a logo.

EDIT: Changed this paragraph about the image as Victor gave me more info:
The image can be png or jpg and must be a 16:9 image with size 672x378.
The usual png vs jpg applies:
- If it contains photo or screenshot, should be jpg for good compression.
- If it has more flat colours png may be a good choice.
- Transparency is allowed (must be png in this case).

I disagree with FIZ, compared to what you started with, this is a major improvement, and having a separate menu for the events calendar would prove the effort null. Only thing I'd change is the starts in "6 minutes" text should be red instead of green.
#86 - FIZ
Ok, I know I arrived late to the party, but this is really intriguing.
I always found missing generic online information in the start page.
LFS is so "online" by many meanings, but that start page is too static.
I just sent a proposal, but changed my mind because I still think a dedicated page for the Upcoming Events like the mods one would be better: it would have a much wider page to show all the events info.
So, about the start page, just add a game button below "Multiplayer".

The home page will be empty again, wait no.
I would use kinda the same approach for this Upcoming Events approach, but, my professional UI approach is always the same: the home page is control panel of everything, it shows every-thing.

- The last official LFS NEWS
Some text/title + photo from the article,
(link the the LFS page)
- The last official LFS Tweet
The complete text
(link to the tweet)
- The last 3(?) forum thread opened/messages
(3 links, one row per thread)
- Twitch Event Live right now, otherwise the last stream
(pic title and link)
- The Next Event
(but only 1 event)
- Users online count? Mods count? Other things to count?
I don't really know, it would depend by how much space left. Could be nice or ugly.

This would be a quite complex interface, many different elements to be harmonized.
If I had a day I would provide a good example instead of the last one I posted earlier.

A more interactive, more complete, more true "start page" for LFS.
#87 - FIZ
Quote from VladM :I disagree with FIZ, compared to what you started with, this is a major improvement, and having a separate menu for the events calendar would prove the effort null. Only thing I'd change is the starts in "6 minutes" text should be red instead of green.

Don't worry, sometimes I disagree with FIZ too Big grin
I realized too late I was still in thinking process, then I saw the light Petals
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the feedback.

That looks really nice and clean. I'd maybe make sign up and join buttons bigger and more inviting, but not at the cost of breaking the minimalistic and clean look. For later improvements I'd suggest each event being clickable and showing more details in a new page within LFS. Like details about previous races, cars, winners, points etc.

Simbroadcasts are doing a good job. Maybe in that unused line you could link to the live broadcast of the event if and when there is one. People are more interested in joining when they realize its streamed and even commentated. And it tends to create a better racing environment as well as help the streamers. It also gives a chance for demo users to see what is in S3. If they see the live stream, all those mods and want to join in on the action, there you go. Easy Demo to S3 incentive.

I don't know if the event will be in the list while its on, if it is, you can put a little red "LIVE!" text next to the link of the stream.
Quote from nexttime :Simbroadcasts are doing a good job. Maybe in that unused line you could link to the live broadcast of the event if and when there is one.

Yes, that last line I still have to do tomorrow for Live Stream info.

Quote from nexttime :I don't know if the event will be in the list while its on, if it is, you can put a little red "LIVE!" text next to the link of the stream.

The plan is to have an estimated end of event, which I guess the organiser will need to manually enter, so the event can be shown until that time is in the past.

Just for interest, here's the first actual LIVE version of the calendar! Big grin

As you can see, most of the data fields are not yet populated but bear with us, it's obviously not finished - I'm just showing it as part of the fun of the development process. Smile

Attached images
lfs_00000075.jpg
I agree with FIZ regarding the place of the events. Events relate to the multiplayer mode, so they should be displayed after entering the multiplayer mode. Someone who wants to play online after entering would have a list of events displayed and it is not possible to change the list that would look like it is in its current form.
The Single player player is usually not interested in On-Line events. In this system, the main MENU of the game could be left unchanged
Quote from Lucas McFly :I agree with FIZ regarding the place of the events. Events relate to the multiplayer mode, so they should be displayed after entering the multiplayer mode. Someone who wants to play online after entering would have a list of events displayed and it is not possible to change the list that would look like it is in its current form.
The Single player player is usually not interested in On-Line events. In this system, the main MENU of the game could be left unchanged

I disagree, maybe the player playing single doesn’t know about these events, that’s the whole point of adding this in. And for most other player's it doesn’t matter cuz most click through their main page anyway.

My only other suggestion is to let master servers post a message in any server when you have 1h till the start of an event, but that’s not really related to adding calendar to the mainpage.
I agree on both sides. i have not followed of how UI of this will work in practice, but there should be some kind of "live bar" of what is currently happening in Community.

Hm... This would had been excellent since five to six years ago. Earlier than that didn't matter, because times were a bit different and people were more active. Then there was a drop-out with decreasing community, only core people stayed, while brand new people actually wanted to participate into something, regardless of serious or not.

And one of the major factor roles in LFS is there has been ( and still would be ) almost any kind of racing. From Destruction Derby to 24h race. From D1GP Drifting to Ultimate speed battles.

Heck, even some kind of minigames were then, although they were mainly public... but could had been used as proper public event... *sigh*... Sumo...ahhh...

Ok, so what my point is that this improvement for scheduled events... technically speaking it may not be needed to only limit there. But I guess that is whole another story.

EDIT: Yeah I went a bit too off, thinking out of the box... my bad.
Looks good to me, I have no more quick suggestions.

The logos using less height are slightly irking to my OCD, but no idea what to do about that. (I guess aligning their top with the top of info area looks equally irking then, with large bottom empty? Too lazy to fire up GIMP to check myself Smile )

Hopefully organisers will optimise the graphics over time to fit perfectly with other content on the main screen.
Quote from Ped7g :Looks good to me, I have no more quick suggestions.

The logos using less height are slightly irking to my OCD, but no idea what to do about that. (I guess aligning their top with the top of info area looks equally irking then, with large bottom empty? Too lazy to fire up GIMP to check myself Smile )

Hopefully organisers will optimise the graphics over time to fit perfectly with other content on the main screen.

Top aligned would probably look better.
Yes, if I understood Victor correctly, newly submitted images from now on must be 672 * 378 so I think people will design for the 16:9 aspect ratio. Though transparency is available so there is flexibility. But let's see how it looks with more data fields completed.
Looks like a great addition !!
Getting better step by step. Smile

Nice to see some series organisers have been updating their logos! Thumbs up

Attached images
lfs_00000078.jpg
lfs_00000079.jpg
Looking good Scawen! Any idea when this version will go public?
Quote from UniValvePlums :Looking good Scawen! Any idea when this version will go public?

Thanks. I'm hoping it could be in a test patch in a couple of days.

But my head's a bit of a blur and Victor and I will be reassessing in the morning. Smile
This is great. Hope it helps attendance! Smile

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG