The online racing simulator
MRG V8 GTR (and perhaps Road Version soon)
Hello everyone,

actually I much active on discord, and just remembered today that I need to post in forum to get some insight from you all guys

so, starting from the facebook, which usually I see and share some random shitpost, until one day I found out, Morgan just release car called "Morgan Plus 8 GTR" which are resemblance of Morgan Plus 8 that raced on the old day (I not quite know about story of this car really, but as interesting as the body model, it makes me influenced to make one in LFS, but in my version

the attachment that I include below, are the 3 hour progress, just for the exterior thingy, I think I'm really satisfied, despite the car started from LX6 base (I know, it will be called "Default Car" by some people since it's not really start from scratch)
Attached images
LFS Editor 13_12_2021 07_26_06.png
Nice dude!
The update actually started (not so) long time ago, my bad didnt take screenshot of it per each progress, but well, atleast I could focus on the work instead too much talking hahaha

so I decided to make directly a GTR version, since it will much tempting to make and balance rather than road car

so I add spoilers, no fake Aero whatsoever for sure Big grin
Attached images
LFS Editor 14_12_2021 19_56_17.png
LFS Editor 14_12_2021 19_57_50.png
So I decide to use 3.5L V8 Small Block, actually this engine was taken from Flat 6 FZR, but I change it to V8, and make some adjustment so it will scream up to 7k rpm, not so high? yes I know, but my projection is to Small Block engine which still uses Push-Rod, and all we know, Push-Rod engine couldnt have high rev limit because there's ton of reciprocating mass on each part that will break into failure if revving too high, as how IRL push-rod engine does

also, since it rev limit was lower, so I put V8 Crossplane instead StraightPlane, since CP engine will generate power so good starts from low to mid rpm range

pardon for my OOT, TL;DR, the engine spec will be 3.5L V8, 7400rpm (safe limit so the engine will never overrun when accidentaly downshifting twice)
Attached images
LFS Editor 19_12_2021 18_55_53.png
starting with interior

Disclaimer: all this work has been done directly inside LFS Editor, some parts are taken from another car INSIDE the LFS Editor

I quite happy to challenge myself to create something outside 3dsmax and Blender program, yes this app has caveat especially to smooth out low poly curves, but overall I'm happy that I'm quite learn a lot from this app, Thanks LFS Developer team !! I love you (no homo)
Attached images
Live for Speed 15_12_2021 17_35_04.png
alright, my final checkpoint was here.

so I decided to make 3 colour option for the car, first colour ofcourse for the main body, second colour I set for Rollbar on interior, and third colour was for towhook on the front bumper (if you could see)

that's all for now, since I have business for Domestic Christmas flight, all progress will be updated slowly, atleast until I had free time again once there's finished
Attached images
LFS Editor 19_12_2021 19_16_25.png
Very cool car! gonna be very fun for epic races
Are the front pillars (left & right from frontwindow) are a bit too wide?
On the cockpit screenshot they block much of the view. Compare with the readl car, there they are thinner.
Quote from Gutholz :Are the front pillars (left & right from frontwindow) are a bit too wide?
On the cockpit screenshot they block much of the view. Compare with the readl car, there they are thinner.

Duh, why notification doesnt appear on my email

Yes, I think it quite thick, will make revision soon, thanks for spotting it too 😄
This car feels great to drive, amazing mod!
Great job! Hopefully some talented creative people create some skins for this, would look really cool instead of the default full colors. Once small thing that bugged me when I switched to the chase view: could the rear lights (brake and turning/hazard) have just a little bit more smooth curves and be more of a circle instead of a 8-point polygon? Since the car has smooth curves all over it and looks great. Smile
My only two complaints are that, visually, the steering wheel is perhaps a bit close to the dash (I feel as though my knuckles would smack into things when holding the wheel) and that on hard braking my wheel's FFB kicks around a bit. I wish I knew what caused the latter as I've seen it on a few mods so far! Just spikes of force wrenching the wheel one way or another.
Great mod, car feels great to drive! Definitely going to try it with the boys for our races!
Quote from MandulAA :Great job! Hopefully some talented creative people create some skins for this, would look really cool instead of the default full colors. Once small thing that bugged me when I switched to the chase view: could the rear lights (brake and turning/hazard) have just a little bit more smooth curves and be more of a circle instead of a 8-point polygon? Since the car has smooth curves all over it and looks great. Smile

uhh yes, the rear light needs to be redesign a bit so it's not low poly, thanks for pointing out the small mistakes !

Quote from Zopiac :My only two complaints are that, visually, the steering wheel is perhaps a bit close to the dash (I feel as though my knuckles would smack into things when holding the wheel) and that on hard braking my wheel's FFB kicks around a bit. I wish I knew what caused the latter as I've seen it on a few mods so far! Just spikes of force wrenching the wheel one way or another.

I didnt know if this was a problem or not, but in my G29 it feels the same, I'll try to find the issue, and perhaps update this car if I found how to fix that, thanks
Quote from ivancsx :uhh yes, the rear light needs to be redesign a bit so it's not low poly, thanks for pointing out the small mistakes !

Thanks for improving them, they look much better from the outside now! Smile
Improvements needed
Hi, yesterday i host a very interesting race with your mod. People seems to like it (including me), but i have some questions and feedback about it

- The front feels too much planted at low speeds while it slides out at higher speeds
- The car has too much undertray downforce, and its located right in the middle of the car
- Power to weight ratio is a bit off compared to GTR cars
- The car is kinda unpredictable, sometimes it looses the rear and sometimes the front
- Steering feels odd, a slight movement makes a huge change in direction
- Its very easy to flip someone if you rear end the person https://streamable.com/42jy8n
- Suspension motion range is well above what we see on GTR cars

My suggestion to fix the handling "issue" would be to:

- Maybe changing tires size to 310/35 R18 front and 355/30 R18 rear (not sure about it because it might not be necessary if other things gets changed)
- Reduce undertray downforce and make the undertray point more towards the rear, relying more on wings downforce
- Match power to weight ratio (and make the car a bit heavier and powerful, maybe Big grin)
- Decrease suspension motion range (using Max Up settings on LFS Editor to .230m front and .220 rear) as well as reducing a bit more the upper arm lenght, basing on what XRR and FZR suspensions looks like. Caution not to change too much of the car's track
- Make max steering lock 24° and car steering wheel turn 540° (or 270° on LFS Editor)
- Push front lower point of LOD3 a bit backwards, and upper front a bit up and slightly forwards
Attached files
BL4X_race_15L_0R_10F.mpr - 5.5 MB - 285 views
BL4X_race_15L_17R_14F.mpr - 9.3 MB - 264 views
One side of your skin - the one with logos - is mirrored ...

Attached images
MRG Mirrored.png
not for me though. when I use the mod it does not have the side mirrored
Quote from PedroXDBR :Hi, yesterday i host a very interesting race with your mod. People seems to like it (including me), but i have some questions and feedback about it

- The front feels too much planted at low speeds while it slides out at higher speeds
- The car has too much undertray downforce, and its located right in the middle of the car
- Power to weight ratio is a bit off compared to GTR cars
- The car is kinda unpredictable, sometimes it looses the rear and sometimes the front
- Steering feels odd, a slight movement makes a huge change in direction
- Its very easy to flip someone if you rear end the person https://streamable.com/42jy8n
- Suspension motion range is well above what we see on GTR cars

My suggestion to fix the handling "issue" would be to:

- Maybe changing tires size to 310/35 R18 front and 355/30 R18 rear (not sure about it because it might not be necessary if other things gets changed)
- Reduce undertray downforce and make the undertray point more towards the rear, relying more on wings downforce
- Match power to weight ratio (and make the car a bit heavier and powerful, maybe Big grin)
- Decrease suspension motion range (using Max Up settings on LFS Editor to .230m front and .220 rear) as well as reducing a bit more the upper arm lenght, basing on what XRR and FZR suspensions looks like. Caution not to change too much of the car's track
- Make max steering lock 24° and car steering wheel turn 540° (or 270° on LFS Editor)
- Push front lower point of LOD3 a bit backwards, and upper front a bit up and slightly forwards

Wow, quite detailed critics that I need. Thanks a lot !

I'll recheck again later when I had quite free time, for the power to weight ratio, I doubt it will kinda weird to have similar weight and power to other GTR cars, but with current weight, I doubt it will be disadvantages to other competitors, but let me do some in depth research again with it (hope it still fun to drive after fixing some geometry of the car Tongue )

Allow me to take notes about point you've mentioned, and I'll reconsider and test your options, Thanks Big grin
Quote from sinanju :One side of your skin - the one with logos - is mirrored ...

I doubt if the problem only on garage, but as for me, it's fine when on track

But let me test it out again later and see if the problem exist, thanks Big grin
Might be broken only for Left Hand Drive or Right Hand Drive. Depends if you're mirroring the whole model on side change or just the interior subobject
I haven't really figured this mapping bug out yet but I can reproduce it and I've looked in the editor and seen something a bit strange.

Reproduction: I only see this bug in the garage, when first loaded. Sometimes it is correct again in the garage and I can make it happen again clicking the rallycross setup.

Oddness in the editor: The mapping (M1_side) is from the left side, which I guess should be OK (maybe...) but its primary cutout is called "SIDE_LEFT" which is kind of what you would expect but the odd thing is that is actually the mapping for the right side of the car.

It's kind of confusing because the entire JPG skin is a mirrored skin. Any artist who wants to make a skin for it, would have to mirror all logos.

So I would suggest that the default skin should be flipped and the cutouts re-done, which would be helpful for the artists.

I think I would recommend that the M1_side mapping should really be from the right, as it is aiming for triangles that are built on the right right-facing. It is possible to do this exactly accurately, by selecting that mapping, changing to right view then click "ADJUST".

I've got a feeling that sorting this stuff out would remove the 'bug' (and make it easier for the artists) and it would be better to do that before too many people make a skin for this quite cool mod. Smile

By the way, I have a vague memory of someone reporting this bug a few days ago, but I can't find it. Maybe it was this car or another one... please tell me if anyone knows of another mod with a similar bug! Uhmm
Quote from MandulAA :Yes, it was me, in the A5 test patch thread with mod DORITO-GTO Smile https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1985034#post1985034

Thanks! Good to know I'm not going mad! Big grin

I think I couldn't find your post because I remembered seeing images (must have been the video) and the post doesn't contain images, only URLs.

OK, the DORITO appears to be conventionally mapped, so will be an easier case for me to try and understand the bug.
Quote from Scawen :I haven't really figured this mapping bug out yet but I can reproduce it and I've looked in the editor and seen something a bit strange.

Reproduction: I only see this bug in the garage, when first loaded. Sometimes it is correct again in the garage and I can make it happen again clicking the rallycross setup.

Oddness in the editor: The mapping (M1_side) is from the left side, which I guess should be OK (maybe...) but its primary cutout is called "SIDE_LEFT" which is kind of what you would expect but the odd thing is that is actually the mapping for the right side of the car.

It's kind of confusing because the entire JPG skin is a mirrored skin. Any artist who wants to make a skin for it, would have to mirror all logos.

So I would suggest that the default skin should be flipped and the cutouts re-done, which would be helpful for the artists.

I think I would recommend that the M1_side mapping should really be from the right, as it is aiming for triangles that are built on the right right-facing. It is possible to do this exactly accurately, by selecting that mapping, changing to right view then click "ADJUST".

I've got a feeling that sorting this stuff out would remove the 'bug' (and make it easier for the artists) and it would be better to do that before too many people make a skin for this quite cool mod. Smile

By the way, I have a vague memory of someone reporting this bug a few days ago, but I can't find it. Maybe it was this car or another one... please tell me if anyone knows of another mod with a similar bug! Uhmm

quite strange about the side mapping things, FYI I started this car mod from LX6 base (since I initially planned to make LX6 GTR at first, but changed mind after several works done), I didnt really touch the position about the mapping, only a resize it to match the entire side panel of the car, because I'm using LX6 base as template for mappings, that quite strange resulting that on garages

for cutout position, I just realized that I wrong to put "flip:on", still working for it as I reconsider it will be hard for any skins artist to make their own skins with current state
Attached images
lfs_00000057.png
lfs_00000058.png

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG