The online racing simulator
New Version 0.7A - Mods Support
(173 posts, closed, started )
Dear Racers,

We have always wanted to support user created content in Live for Speed. We thought it could be done after the new version release, with the new physics. That would have been ideal but there is a lot of demand for mods and we started to look into it this year.

At first we started thinking about simply allowing VOB mods, with some restrictions. But it would of course be better if we had an official way to edit and export mods. So we experimented with some changes in the current public version of LFS, to the point where it could load VOB models saved from our development version. It was immediately obvious that it would be too restrictive if we only allowed VOB mods on existing cars. So we made more changes to save fully edited vehicles that could be loaded in the public version.

As a standalone model and vehicle editor was proven to be possible in principle, we got more serious about the whole thing. We started working on a mod submission system, with mods stored on our website and automatically downloaded in LFS. With the new system, you can visit any server and see new mods there for the first time as they are automatically downloaded like skins.

To make a mod you can build a model (3D mesh) directly in the LFS modeller or start by importing one from another program, e.g. Blender, then make adjustments and apply texture maps within the LFS modeller. To create a driveable vehicle with your model, you could either start from scratch with a new vehicle or choose an existing car as a starting point. Adjust wheel positions, mass, suspension, engine and so on. Test the mod in your public version of LFS then export and upload it to our website. Reviewers will check it follows the rules and accept / reject / request changes. When accepted, the mod can be downloaded in LFS and used online.

There are some restrictions.

- The mods system is only for S3 licensed users.
- We do not allow real car names or logos, unless permission is proved.
- We do not allow meshes converted from other games, unless permission is proved.
- There are limits (e.g. triangle count and texture size) so the mods are quick to download.

Changes to hosting:

There are some changes to the way game servers work. We believe the only way to prevent piracy is to no longer release any server code at all (or even support LAN games). For the new version, we provide the servers, using our existing server rental system. Game server owners can use InSim connections to their servers. We have set up internet servers in various continents so you should get a good ping wherever you are.

You can start a free server in game, using the "Start new host" button. But now, that starts a host running on one of our servers, instead of locally on your computer. When you leave a free server, it closes down after a few minutes.

If you want to run a full-fledged server, or multiple servers, that stay online all the time and store replays and layouts, you can use our game server hosting system. You can choose Netherlands, USA, Japan, Brazil, Hong Kong, Turkey or Australia for the location of your game server. The prices are approximately a quarter of what they were before this change.

You can manage your hosts from https://www.lfs.net/hosting/admin

That works for free hosts started from in-game as well as rental hosts. An InSim port is always opened and available to the IP of the user who started the host. If you would like to whitelist more IPs for InSim, you can do so using the hosting admin link above.

Please read the full list of changes below.

How to use the mods system : downloads, web pages, videos, documents

Four ways to get version 0.7A :

1) AUTO UPDATER - If you already have version 0.5V or later :

- Click on "Multiplayer" then "List of Hosts" in LFS and choose a download mirror.

2) MANUAL PATCH (35 MB) - If you already have version 0.6R or later :

- Click HERE and save the patch installer.
- You can run the patch installer from its download location or from your LFS folder.

4) FULL VERSION (521 MB) - If you are new to LFS or making a fresh installation.

- Click HERE to visit the download page and get the full version installer.

Changes from 0.6V to 0.7A :

Mods:

Mods support is now available for S3 licensed users
A vehicle editor and object modeller are available
Includes support for single-gear electric vehicles

Multiplayer:

Start new host screen starts a new host on LFS.net
Host options screen now available for admins while online
Message "[user name] is connecting..." when someone is joining
Unlimited number of bans in ban file

Updated cars:

MRT with improved frame, steering wheel, wider tyres, minor updates
RB4 with more detailed exterior, interior, 10mm shorter wheelbase

Graphics:

Minor improvements to drivers and spectators
Updated ADS jpg textures for all tracks except RO
Increased number of mipmaps for number plate textures
Updated car shaders to better reproduce the editor materials
- Variable shine can now be used (alpha channel sets shine level)
- Material type 'overlay or plain' can be used for chrome parts
- Roughness value is NOT supported (specular reflection disabled)

Interface:

Using updated font from new version of LFS
Improved display size of vehicles in game setup screen and garage
Removed feature that enabled "window while connecting" on new patch
FIX: Player name could be displayed wrongly in F11 and F12 menu

Misc:

More prominent warning for clipping in engine sound editor
Experimental anti clipping audio option (enabled by default)
Anti clipping is automatically disabled in engine sound editor

Layouts:

Plain area 4km x 4km designed specifically to allow large layouts
Max selected objects in editor is now 60 (was 30)

Controllers:

Support for controllers with up to 128 buttons
Look Heading and Look Pitch are no longer automatically assigned

InSim (for programmers):
New packet size byte - now represents packet size divided by 4
This allows larger packets up to 1020 bytes (old limit was 252)
IS_ACM and IS_MCI make use of the increase packet size
New packets IS_MAL / TINY_MAL set / get allowed mods

Commands:

/allowmods=yes to allow mods on host
/cars=none to disallow all of the official cars
/cars+=xfg+xrg to add xfg and xrg to the allowed cars
/cars-=ufr+xfr to remove ufr and xfr from the allowed cars
/window X Y sets window client area width and height
/enforce - spectate anyone who is driving a disallowed car
/unapproved=yes to allow unapproved mods to be used on host
/mods=AAAAAA+BBBBBB sets a list of allowed mods (and allows mods)
/mods+=CCCCCC+DDDDDD adds to the list of allowed mods
/mods-=BBBBBB+CCCCCC removes mods from the list
/mods=ALL removes the list of mods and sets /allowmods=yes
/mods=NONE removes the list of mods and sets /allowmods=no
/mods and /cars commands can accept plus or comma as delimiter

Scripts:

Script 'ev.lfs' is run when an electric vehicle is selected
Script 'kart.lfs' is run when using vehicle with centrifugal clutch
Script 'free.lfs' is run when using vehicle with no engine or drive

- LFS Developers
Viva la LFS
Thanks for the update and I hope you can enjoy some quality time off time soon.
Maybe the staff pick, mod selection could be updated. There is currently 8 only. I am not staff but it might be good time to rethink it.
Edit: I guess the RB4 pbs and wrs become obsolete?
#4 - lfsrm
Congratulations! Hopfully this will give LFS some popularity boost.
Hi! I have a question that i think it has been answered already but, where is the option of enable/disable autoclutch?. on last version it was on driver config. Thank you very much for the update!
Quote from xpablousky :Hi! I have a question that i think it has been answered already but, where is the option of enable/disable autoclutch?. on last version it was on driver config. Thank you very much for the update!

It should be available in the same spot as before. (at least it was there when I tried to see if it was still there with an H-pattern gearbox car on the track)
#7 - gu3st
Quote from xpablousky :Hi! I have a question that i think it has been answered already but, where is the option of enable/disable autoclutch?. on last version it was on driver config. Thank you very much for the update!

You may need to get in a car for the option to appear.
Hi Scawen. I remember you wanted to add a square soil to the map layout Square. When will you add?
This was mentioned a while back, but was there any further thought on separating unlocks between the editor and LFS? People who use the modeller will be burning through twice as many unlocks now.
Quote from Dmitry RUS :Hi Scawen. I remember you wanted to add a square soil to the map layout Square. When will you add?

There are a lot of things we could not do before time ran out. Not only feature requests but actual known issues. So I can't say when each one of those will be done. But I'm quite sure that there is enough there to keep people entertained for a while! Smile

Quote from Degats :This was mentioned a while back, but was there any further thought on separating unlocks between the editor and LFS? People who use the modeller will be burning through twice as many unlocks now.

We've updated this now, so:
S3 licensed users get 5 unlocks when there is a patch, and they get 2 extra each week up to a maximum of 4 remaining.
To be compared with:
S1/S2 licensed users get 3 unlocks when there is a patch, and they get 1 extra each week up to a maximum of 2 remaining.
Quote from Scawen :There are a lot of things we could not do before time ran out. Not only feature requests but actual known issues. So I can't say when each one of those will be done. But I'm quite sure that there is enough there to keep people entertained for a while! Smile

I am very grateful for such a function to create cars. I'm a cross country runner. I was hoping for a large square of soil, thought it was easy to change the surface. I make a motocross car. There are very few dirt road sections.
There will be time, please include in the list to add a plot of soil. You have already done this, quickly changed one section of the square. I hope someone will support my request.
We just need a flat area with a lot of soil. No guidance required. In the editor, create the direction of the dirt road.
I'm with you on that! But nothing's quite as simple as it seems. There are maybe 100 things I should have done, that take only a few hours each. But there just wasn't time as we had to release in time for the holidays. Smile
Quote from Scawen :I'm with you on that! But nothing's quite as simple as it seems. There are maybe 100 things I should have done, that take only a few hours each. But there just wasn't time as we had to release in time for the holidays. Smile

Thanks for trying! I made a wish for Santa Claus, a plot of land 1x1 kilometer in LFS.
If Santa Claus needs help with good ground texture, sand, PVC asphalt, library models to add to the autocross editor, I will help!
Yeah but sorry I can't do it for Christmas. I don't even want to describe how many hours a week I've worked for well over 6 months without any break at all! But a 1km dirt square is on the list. Smile
Quote from Scawen :Yeah but sorry I can't do it for Christmas. I don't even want to describe how many hours a week I've worked for well over 6 months without any break at all! But a 1km dirt square is on the list. Smile

It's just a desire. Thanks again for the very important tool for adding models!
Good luck developing!
Quote from Scawen :But a 1km dirt square is on the list.

I hope a layout objects limit raise is also on the list - the big 4x4km square offers new possibilities in track building,but with big projects in mind some might run very quickly in the 2400 objects limit (I already did,so I'll have to sacrifice some safety measures to complete my project).

Besides that I'm wondering why MPRs of previous version are now invalid - only 2 cars have been changed,which would cause sync issues,rest should be fine,right?
[EDIT by Scawen: thanks, fixed links]

Manual patch link also broken
"Test the mod in your public version of LFS"

Think you mean local/personal version Smile
Great to see it gone public. Focus is now again on new track updates and physics and graphics?
Haven't played properly for a good number of years, since long before vob mods were known about (hi funnybones Wink)

However to show my support for this latest addition, I did a thing.

Have a great Christmas Scawen Victor Eric

Attached images
Screenshot_20211216_201043.jpg
#21 - Eric
Quote from Bose321 :Great to see it gone public. Focus is now again on new track updates and physics and graphics?

Yes. Smile
Excellent! Thanks for the update before the holidays! - I wish the devs a nice, relaxing and well-deserved holiday season

If I have skipped the note, then sorry. But what do "slots" mean in hosting? Are these real connection of users/drivers or "slots" in relation to number of cars on the track?

Short: Are AI vehicles counted as a "slot" or not? I think not but I'm not sure.
Awesome, It's christmas before christmas. So long years without playing, and rediscover that pearl Big grin

Thanks guys
Early Christmas gift from the devs Smile

I think this update is a big step. Now this is a big reason to upgrade to S3 if you haven't.

And hopefully it'll attract casual racing players too.
This is amazing! This finally gave me a reason to upgrade from S2 to S3!

My only complaints are that the list of installed mods should be laid out better (preferably with pictures), and the lack of AI support is a bit disappointing.
This thread is closed

(173 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG