The online racing simulator
No crash so far.
Yesterday I got annoyed testing the drag mods at the drag strip. I set a server with no restriction (I mean reset allowed mods allowed and so on). There is a restriction like too soon to restart. Come on it is a less than 10s race! Could these restriction be easily removed either by host option or by detecting drag strip and adapting?
Not urgent but definitely something to look at.
Quote from loopingz :No crash so far.
Yesterday I got annoyed testing the drag mods at the drag strip. I set a server with no restriction (I mean reset allowed mods allowed and so on). There is a restriction like too soon to restart. Come on it is a less than 10s race! Could these restriction be easily removed either by host option or by detecting drag strip and adapting?
Not urgent but definitely something to look at.

The /restart command by an admin overrides the timer IIRC
-
(thegamer147) DELETED by thegamer147
Quote from Scawen :Thanks again for the crash report. I decided to upload the fix for this one, so we can see if you get any other different crashes related to mods that have not yet downloaded. And hopefully gives you a better chance of staying online!

It's in the form of a zip file. Direct download below. You only need the LFS.exe from the zip, if you already have W52.

Changes from W52 to W53

Removed feature that enabled "Window while connecting" on new patch
FIX: Crash related to applying handicaps to not yet downloaded mods

https://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_W43_TO_W53.zip

No crashes so far, great upgrade! Smile

But now i'm curious, how do you find out what's causing the program to crash?
Quote from loopingz :No crash so far.

Yes, with great ease. Click on "options" in game if you are an admin and adjust the setting.

Or there are the /rstmin and /rstend commands documented in docs/Commands.txt
Quote from Facu23 :No crashes so far, great upgrade! Smile

But now i'm curious, how do you find out what's causing the program to crash?

Well I get that crash report and I look at the offset, and compare it with a "map file" that I save for every released exe, for this reason. This can show me which function the crash occurred in. Sometimes it's easy to see what went wrong immediately. Or at other times I need to study the assembly code of the EXE at that line where it crashed, and compare that with my source code to figure it out. Often some context such as what the user was doing at the time, can help me understand what is going on.

Anyway, it's usually very easy to reproduce and fix a crash, without any crash address, if you can make the crash happen at will. Then I just do it in the debugger and simple, I find it. But if it's an occasional or rare crash that we can't reproduce at will, that's when I need to use the crash offset and study the exe, map file and source code to track down the bug.
Is there any other way for admins to retrieve InSim port and IP of dedi server other than logging to lfs.net and checking Hosts info?

Now when I create in-game temp host for testing InSim stuff the InSim port and the IP is random every time. It's slightly annoying having to go to lfs.net to get that info.

Maybe admins could have a command that would show them a message with server's InSim port and IP?

Edit: Oops, I guess this is wrong thread, sorry Smile
I do have something on a list for that, so hopefully I can get to that before the first official version (though many things I want to do will have to be done after the first official version). Am I right that actually this information only needs to be for the actual 'owner' rather than admins in general? By 'owner' I mean the one that started the in-game host.
Quote from Scawen :Am I right that actually this information only needs to be for the actual 'owner' rather than admins in general? By 'owner' I mean the one that started the in-game host.

Yes, I think that's fine. Thank you Smile
EDITOR and LFS Update W54
EDITOR changes from W51 to W54:

Support for single spoke objects
- Can load an OBJ file as a spoke object
- Automatically sets to 1 spoke in that case
FIX: Crash when deleting the second-last surface of a rim

LFS changes from W52 to W54:

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/95664
0.6W52

Had not much time to play mods online, but engine sound bug found. After switched back to XRT from JDX100, the sound remains the JDX100's. When in Shift+A menu i hear my XRT set, but when I exit, it switches back to mod sound.

The other time i found that the sound is cleaner and louder, when in shift+a menu and muffled when out of it (is that new anti clipping system?).

And BSOD happened at evening. I gave my friend to drive an XRT at Rockingham National in SP. When he went off the track and asked me to check his final drive i entered Shift+P and instantly got this on my screen:
Attached images
IMG_20211204_193320.jpg
Quote from Scawen :EDITOR changes from W51 to W54:

- Can load an OBJ file as a spoke object
- Automatically sets to 1 spoke in that case
FIX: Crash when deleting the second-last surface of a rim

LFS changes from W52 to W54:

I'm having a strange bug on w54. When shift + a menu is enabled the car sounds way better and louder but when the menu is closed te car goes back to normal

video: https://streamable.com/4yig7w
Not a bug, audio clipping prevention is turned off when in the engine audio editor. If your engine is louder in the editor then it means it is clipping (along with the red CLIPPING warning)
Quote from PeterN :Not a bug, audio clipping prevention is turned off when in the engine audio editor. If your engine is louder in the editor then it means it is clipping (along with the red CLIPPING warning)

Not quite right because in fact all engines will be louder in the engine editor.

The clipping prevention does make all engine sounds quieter, but that volume reduction is more pronounced with louder engines.

Facu23: There is an option in audio options to disable the clipping prevention.

One thing I am still disturbed about is engine creators who do not notice the "CLIPPING" red message in the top corner, while in the engine editor. That message means "SOMETHING IS WRONG" but apparently a lot of people think that a bright red message in capitals means they are doing the right thing. Big Eye

Everyone else, please, if you get in a mod and you go in the engine editor and you see CLIPPING nearly all the time, please go and give that mod a one-star rating for engine sound. We'll need to get the message out there that engine sounds should not clip (well I'd say they can clip a tiny bit, occasionally).
@Scawen - after installing W54 something weird started to happen with shaders - LFS looks for Car3 and World2 shaders, instead of Car2 and World so that the game is unplayable. Do you have any ideas?
Attached images
Zrzut ekranu (23).png
The shaders are in the patch (well the cars ones are) so I don't know what has gone wrong there.

Have you made sure you have the correct required versions before installing the patch? And did you use the actual patch installer?

There isn't really anything wrong with the installers, but somehow yours has gone wrong. It's a bit odd, as if you have got the exe only and copied it into a really old version of LFS.
Quote from Scawen :

One thing I am still disturbed about is engine creators who do not notice the "CLIPPING" red message in the top corner, while in the engine editor. That message means "SOMETHING IS WRONG" but apparently a lot of people think that a bright red message in capitals means they are doing the right thing. Big Eye

Everyone else, please, if you get in a mod and you go in the engine editor and you see CLIPPING nearly all the time, please go and give that mod a one-star rating for engine sound. We'll need to get the message out there that engine sounds should not clip (well I'd say they can clip a tiny bit, occasionally).

Hahaha!!!

Yes! Some people think because it’s loud it sounds good. But in fact no they need to tune engine sound with default audio options. Minimal clipping in things like revving the engine in the pits where it echoes or echoes from driving by under pass/tunnel. Or at extreme speeds because wind noise is extreme.

I still believe the anti clipping option all it does it turn the volume down. If the engine noise is extremely clipping with anti clipping off. With anti clipping on it still clips but at lower volume.
Scawen. I'm not sure this is right place, but i've seen people discussed bugs here, so:

0.6W54

1. Scripts does not work. I can't use my Indicators/headlights on G25. I hope someday you'll make it possible to re-map these functions, but for now I use it with script.

2. "Look Left"/"Look Right" button release delay. Headlights flash, turnsignals and emergency lights has the same problem. All mapped to G25's console, in my case. No issue on keyboard.

3. There is something wrong with ALPHAs' opacity in new patch (see screenie with dashboard). Since you made LFS converting DDS, i don't even try to fix it but it was ok in previos versions. The part is in Child_18.

4. Some edges broken on unofficial VOB mod from 0.6U. The strange thing is that this bug disappeared after LFS restart. I know you might not like previos VOB mods, and you maybe changed something about VOB files, but anyways it is a strange bug.
Attached images
LFS 2021-12-08 08-14-48-67 copy.jpg
LFS 2021-12-08 08-29-05-64 copy.jpg
LFS 2021-12-08 08-28-12-42 copy.jpg
Quote from Snoop.DriftEra :0.6W54

1. Scripts does not work. I can't use my Indicators/headlights on G25. I hope someday you'll make it possible to re-map these functions, but for now I use it with script.

2. "Look Left"/"Look Right" button release delay. Headlights flash, turnsignals and emergency lights has the same problem. All mapped to G25's console, in my case. No issue on keyboard.

That sounds like a problem with Logitech's software, which is notoriously bad. I gave up using it for scripting years ago because they kept breaking things.

LFS script files & binding controllers to /press 3 etc in the CTRL+ ALT+ controller options pages still works fine in W54.

FWIW, if you want to bind whatever controllers (including several buttons/controllers for the same action) to the lights keys, you can use TC Lights https://tc-g.uk/TCLights
EDITOR update W55:

New buttons to create skin templates in 'page' mode:
- create shaded skin texture
- black and white skin texture
- white background wireframe
- black background wireframe

Number of points and triangles per spoke object now depends on the
number of spokes - maximum for all spokes of a wheel is now 1600

FIX: Mouse direction (for selecting triangles, etc) was calculated
wrongly if aspect ratio of visible area was wider than 16:9

Quote from Degats :That sounds like a problem with Logitech's software, which is notoriously bad. I gave up using it for scripting years ago because they kept breaking things.

Script works perfect at 0.6U. No 'button release' lags either.
Quote from Snoop.DriftEra :Script works perfect at 0.6U. No 'button release' lags either.

Have you turned "FF Steps" up too high? Maybe try making sure "Sleep every frame" is enabled too. Come to think of it, I hope you are not using unlimited frame rate. It's best if LFS doesn't occupy your entire CPU usage, then there is time for other software (like wheel drivers) to do their thing.

Nothing has changed regarding controllers in recent times.
FF steps? I gotta do some research, i have no idea what you talking about, it always was kinda plug-n-play thing for me. I just installed clean 6V3, then patched it to W52 and transplanted all my settings and scripts. that's all. So technically i use same settings as at U patch.

----
I just looked at my cfg, the FF Steps is "1" at W54 and "256" at 0.6U. So copy-past cfg didn't work out, i guess.
---
Tried to change it to "256", but LFS now overwrites it to 7. Scratching my head.....
----
Excuse me for disturbing you, you must have an iron-made patience with all of us. We both got other things to do. I think I'll just wait friday and reinstall whole system and till then we better focuse on our current tasks.
FF Steps is visible in the controllers screen in Axes/FF section. The default is '1' seen in the cfg.txt but that appears as 400 steps in the controllers screen. 400 should be fine for ordinary force feedback wheels. The high numbers were added to support the high end direct drive wheels. I was just trying to think of reasons why you would experience controller lag.

Maybe the best thing is to make sure your frame rate is limited to 100, or vertical sync is enabled. There is no point in going above 100 fps as the physics is at that rate anyway. In older versions there was a reason (related to force feedback) to allow higher frame rates than 100 but that was sorted out with a controller update within the last few years (I can't remember when).
Just ckecked it out. There was no such option in 0.6U that's why i had no idea.

In 0.6W54 it was set to 10000. Crazy! Changed to 400, left 50Hz as is. Still no effect on lag. I think we better ask other people with G-series or wait till they see this discussion.

BTW I found out why script doesn't work.
Somehow the buttons 33,36,34,2 (0.6U) now recognised as 129,130,131,132 (0.6W54).
It happened before, once after 0.6F. They were 32,35,333,1 (0.6F).
I don't think it's a wheel issue, since my Richard Burns Rally still have same key mapping from ~2015, few OS ago, and still runs well. Just FYI.

...and thank you for trying to help.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG