The online racing simulator
RaceAbout GTR / RaceAbout Attack (stopped)
Ok, so some may know that I did work on this some years ago and made a thread in the render section. I did not make this in the few days since the announcement lol. More a heads-up that this is out there, I can absolutely not tell if I can get this to work and if I release it.

The fictional specs I cooked up for this were 300 hp, 725 kg weight, aero somewhere between GT4 and GT3 of comparable size. Engine is a high revving V6, similar to older Formula Renault VQ-based V6s. Suspension wise I kept it with the odd no-antirollbar at the rear just for giggles.
Whaw cool! Super curious.. I saw the RAC GTR screenshot/impressions a few years ago, was that your work as well?
Quote from ACCAkut :The fictional specs I cooked up for this were 300 hp, 725 kg weight, aero somewhere between GT4 and GT3 of comparable size. Engine is a high revving V6, similar to older Formula Renault VQ-based V6s. Suspension wise I kept it with the odd no-antirollbar at the rear just for giggles.

Isn't 725kg impossibly light for such a car? Even lightweight Lotuses are around a ton.
Quote from Cutie pie :Isn't 725kg impossibly light for such a car? Even lightweight Lotuses are around a ton.

The real thing is 800kg, 75kg shouldn't be too hard to shed.

Keep in mind the Lotus 2-Eleven weighted 670kg while having an Elise/Evora engine. Comparing trackday specials with everyday sports cars is apples and oranges.
The real thing has an aluminium chassis with carbon body shell though, so there is not much weight to take out of anymore, i would expect every kilogram lost to come back when installing hardtop and a rollcage Big grin

Please keep the saab engine though. Big grin IIRC real one had a B204, you can shed almost 10 kilograms off that block if you remove the balancer shafts and it's chain pulleys Big grin
Looking forward for this Big grin Rofl
Quote from nikopdr :The real thing has an aluminium chassis with carbon body shell though, so there is not much weight to take out of anymore, i would expect every kilogram lost to come back when installing hardtop and a rollcage Big grin

Please keep the saab engine though. Big grin IIRC real one had a B204, you can shed almost 10 kilograms off that block if you remove the balancer shafts and it's chain pulleys Big grin

you probably got a good point there with the car's weight Big grin

With the engine, the combination of that rear axle with turbo lag made the RAC so hard to master, so a high revving N/A would make it more predictable. Also, we got so many turbo-4s already, spice it up a little Smile Saab did use Opel/GM X25XE V6 is some of its models... I could brew up a hypothetical formula version of that... 10k Spiess-build V6 anyone?
Im loving this WIP. Ill take high revving NA engines any day.
Quote from klbbadd2002 :Im loving this WIP. Ill take high revving NA engines any day.

what's the meaning of WIP is?
This RAC GTR as I remembered, is an rendering work decades ago. Forgot author either.

Quote from scania :what's the meaning of WIP is?

Work in progress. 製作中。

By the way, would you mind testing the ping of servers for Hong Kong area? 你能為香港玩家測試一下伺服器的ping嗎
Quote from kagurazakayukari :This RAC GTR as I remembered, is an rendering work decades ago. Forgot author either.

Work in progress. 製作中。

By the way, would you mind testing the ping of servers for Hong Kong area? 你能為香港玩家測試一下伺服器的ping嗎

which server?
I can try tmr
Quote from ACCAkut :With the engine, the combination of that rear axle with turbo lag made the RAC so hard to master, so a high revving N/A would make it more predictable. Also, we got so many turbo-4s already, spice it up a little Smile Saab did use Opel/GM X25XE V6 is some of its models... I could brew up a hypothetical formula version of that... 10k Spiess-build V6 anyone?

But that wouldn't be realistic either, LFS doesn't simulate head gasket failures Big grin

I can only express my opinion about the engine, suppose it could be easier to maintain under balance if it had an N/A unit Tongue

Quote from kagurazakayukari :This RAC GTR as I remembered, is an rendering work decades ago. Forgot author either.

I think it was ORION's render, not entirely sure since i think that render is 15 years old by now Big grin
#14 - 5tag
I attached an image with some aero improvements. To make use of the ground effect, you already have floor paneling (I assume), a splitter, skirts and a diffuser. However you also need to deal with the air pressure buildup in the wheel houses. So that's where these vents and spoilers come into play, which I carefully illustrated in meticulous detail. :-)
Attached images
RARaero.png
Yeah you can basically ignore that lower half of that screenshot as I will not use it, everything is much too high poly for the LFS guidelines (full car is 250k tris)
I will splice in my new aero onto an "original export" of the RAC model and make a new simpler cockpit.
#16 - 5tag
That was just to illustrate my suggestion understandably, rather than drawing it "in the air" with the other parts. BTW you should also think about covering up the headlights, as these massive, blunt cylindrical shapes would probably mess up the airflow over the wheel arches.
Just wondering… the car is going to have a solid roof or is it going to be removable like LX models? And will it have a crazy looking hood scoop like the McLarens LT or the Pagani race models?
I don't want to destroy the original RAC bodylines too much, as (if Scawen implements UV import), one should be able to use normal RAC skins on this car with minimal, if any, modification needed to the skin. As such I'd like to keep the headlight array, but use the lower opening for the brake cooling ducts instead. Fender venting rather at the rear than on top.
The one I have in AC has a roof scoop, but I really don't like it much and would not put it into this here. It will be a smallish V6, no need for huge air masses. Side scoops slightly widened instead.

I aim at making a competitor to the existing GTR cars, open roof would not fit.. neither do I know how to do that yet. Or anything really in the Editor Looking

Attached images
6.jpg
7.jpg
Great progress. I've always wanted a unique new GTR version of a car like this.
Haha ok everything you said make sense, this is going in a great direction! But again… if you knew how to have different modes like roof or no roof like LX models wouldn’t that be cool or even just a targa top… it still has a roll cage right @Scawen how do we get the different settings like LX and GTR cars got for the tire settings
#21 - 5tag
Quote from ACCAkut :I don't want to destroy the original RAC bodylines too much

I was thinking about something like a bullet-shaped piece of (acrylic) glass in front of the headlight bulbs. Maybe the same for those smaller lamps too, because while the brake cooling duct intakes are a quirky idea, the shark mouth intake already seems fairly large for a mid-engined car, especially without the stock version's fog lights.

Quote from ACCAkut :one should be able to use normal RAC skins on this car with minimal, if any, modification needed to the skin.]

I don't see why that should be a priority. After all the existing GTRs have fairly different skins from their road going versions as well.

Quote from ACCAkut :The one I have in AC has a roof scoop, but I really don't like it much and would not put it into this here. It will be a smallish V6, no need for huge air masses. Side scoops slightly widened instead.

A roof scoop sounds reasonable for any mid-engined race car. After all, form follows function. It doesn't have to be big (for reference check out the various designs used for Honda NSX GT500 cars over the years), but it does provide fresh air rather than the side intakes, which are usually feeding into radiators and might pick up brake dust etc., too.

Quote from ACCAkut :I aim at making a competitor to the existing GTR cars, open roof would not fit..

Quick question: Does the enclosed roof fit? I mean does it leave enough room for a driver with helmet? I was wondering if your roof section needs a GT40 sort of bulge, or maybe it could be more rounded as a whole?
Those sorts of acrylic lights would probably appear a bit poorly with LFSs Shader system. Maybe I'll try something, but my vision of the car is mostly set. Same with the roof scoop, in the old thread I linked you can see the scoop I had on it before. But whole engine compartment is to change, as what I have is much too high poly and a bit unrealistic anyway with its open standoff injectors (which were just an AC scripting experiment mostly). I managed to find measurements of a "Saab V6" (X25XE) and transversal seq box for the drivetrain. Probably not going to end up in the final model, but I like to fill my cars with their needed components. Front shark mouth contains the radiators and coolers.

Driver fit well in AC, but there I could scale it. But iirc I did model the roof section with a helmet in mind, it's why in my roof version I continue the windscreen shape in an arc instead of extruding it flat to the rear like in the other render.
pls fix its handling and understeering issues thx
Regarding the "hardtop" idea, this is what I made the doors of the car.. hence no hardtop here really, rather a full structural roof

(old 250k tris version)

ofc no use of that in LFS, so I started working on a new much simpler interior. First try at shallow lights like5tag suggested

Attached images
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
This looks awesome, cannot wait to see this.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG