The online racing simulator
New life into LFS?
(128 posts, started )
I think the skill level comment is wrong.

Back in 2010, 2011 - a certain fellow called Maunokasa dominated Fox Friday races. And i mean dominated, almost lapping whole field and winning every race. Now, although he is posting same times as before, he has to fight in leading pack.

AS3 used to be won with 1:47.0 laptime. Fastest lap on AS3 this year was 1:46.3x

Field as a whole is alot faster these days. And they have to be, otherwise they dont even qualify in top 40.
Quote from cargame.nl :Read back what? There is nothing to read thats the whole joke. Something gets updated more frequently, oh wow thats some argument. It's not even multiplayer, what the hell is the discussion.

Like I said, vehicle crash simulator for 12 year olds. Okay.. Its not 100% correct. -offline- vehicle crash simulator for 12 year olds. Enjoy.

Having a multiplayer simulator is a whole different ballpark. I noticed somebody mentioned Assetto Corsa, good argument!

There's a mod called beam MP that allows multiplayer
was the mod created by the game developers?

If not, how is that relevant to the LFS development?

You can technically take LFS.exe and mod it yourself to have beamNG-like crash simulation... and then post here "there's a mod called crash-sim that makes LFS crashes more like beamNG"

(edit: thinking about why I'm even trolling here... I'm kinda irritated by mod panacea thinking... I guess Bethesda made it normal, but there used to be times when the actual game from the devs was already playable and fun... although many of you probably can't remember, it's now too long)
Quote from Ped7g :was the mod created by the game developers?

If not, how is that relevant to the LFS development?

Were custom shaders created by the developers? Were car mods created by the developers? Higher resolution/custom textures? Custom sounds? Were the insim that count the thousands of a second created by the developers? Offline replay analyzer? No, but people still use them. Community work is not useless, they help the game. I know "made by the developer" is usually better but if they do nothing about it what? So far the answer to those that didn't like the graphics of the game has been "use this custom shader and download this high resolution texture pack". Ofc, in a while that won't be a thing anymore.
Quote from KevinRacer :There's a mod called beam MP that allows multiplayer

Ye trucksimulator has it too.. Are LFS devs even realizing this? Competition kicks in hard.
Quote from cargame.nl :Ye trucksimulator has it too.. Are LFS devs even realizing this? Competition kicks in hard.

Your sarcasm is really annoying. Everyone has different opinions respecting others sims, if you don't like BeamNG, that's fine, but you can't simply deny the work that has put into that simulator and the community as a whole. Yes, the multiplayer it's a mod, but the mod looks very promising even if it's not supported by the game developers.
Did you notice that Airio was implemented by an user and then it became the norm in the LFS community?
Quote from cargame.nl : Competition kicks in hard.

Well considering how the activity is in LFS, yes, it really kicked hard you know!
Quote from Thespeed10 :Did you notice that Airio was implemented by an user and then it became the norm in the LFS community?

Server owner ye. It only became the norm after support was dropped weirdly enough but ye I had personal contact with EQ Worry about all the developments and wishes, so? It's a plugin though, an intended InSim plugin. Had to rescue it from heading it towards direct death some years ago, did you noticed this as well? But I do not see how this relates in any way to a 'mod'. And yes I am very skeptical about 'mods' , especially MP mods.. Going multiplayer is not an easy job, almost all sims or games fail with it in one way or the other.

It's a bit annoying to read that people think that outputting a sh*load of cars and tracks would make the difference. The LFS problem is already described many years ago, this needs to be solved first. This whole discussion is therefore pretty much useless and has been covered many many many times already. No need to put whole books online anymore about it. In fact it's a bit annoying to read this continuous cycle of useless suggestions, wishes, demands. Just a bit, not much. Can easily be counteracted. Most people do not understand anything about all the history so I can stay vague but I do not think I mock someone. Trying to trigger to use the brain, yes, I tend to do that. Annoying? Hmm.. Lazy persons. Smile
Quote from cargame.nl :It's a bit annoying to read that people think that outputting a sh*load of cars and tracks would make the difference. The LFS problem is already described many years ago, this needs to be solved first.

Can you write in one sentence what is the problem with LFS? I'm serious. Thanks. Smile
My idea is LFS has many things best Shrug

Plus:
Easy spectating
Easy implemeting insim
Easy chatting
Real WR

bads:
Bad outdated graphics
Bad outdated sounds
also needs updated contact maybe more pps (me was said that leads to more cpu usage but lfs hardly takes resources server)
Quote from Evolution_R :Can you write in one sentence what is the problem with LFS? I'm serious. Thanks. Smile

Outdated.
ITT - everyone is angry because they will be 60 before the new LFS update comes
LFS suffer from the comparison with the larger scale simulations,we should take it as it is, means as a small scale indie project.

I guess Scavier know that and they are probably transitioning from the everythings in-house mindset, as it is impossible for them to compete directly with other simulations, I think they are slowly shifting LFS to a semi-customizable platform model, the modding discussion started by Scawen can prove that.
Quote from Evolution_R :Can you write in one sentence what is the problem with LFS? I'm serious. Thanks. Smile

He should present us with his thesis on why apples must be compared with oranges.
I'm sure it would be as riveting as his forum posts.
It's coming up, just recovering from some real world driving, 2000 km in 2 days crossing 5 borders full of corona-fear bullshit ending up in beautiful nice but a tad too sunny Montenegro.

On the very last moment not deciding to drive through Bulgaria (to Turkey) otherwise I could have explained it live from cargame. Hah. Beat that.
Quote from taipalsaari :ITT - everyone is angry because they will be 60 before the new LFS update comes

I'm 62 and I'm still waiting Big grin

The answer is no. Not in one sentence. Because when I say "updates, LFS lacks periodically timed updates" then this is the core of the problem but I am stating the obvious without giving the details.

The question concerning LFS is "why are there no periodically timed updates". And this question has been answered already. By Scawen himself. However for some reason overlooked by too many people. So lets do some history, at the end of 2008 this Scirocco car was announced. The first real road car which actually is available for the usual Joe (RAC, FBM, MRT are also 'real' but are far less common). Quickly was discovered that driving a Scirocco in LFS does not feel at all like driving a Scirocco in the real world. This Scirocco has a lot of specific techniques in the car itself but the main problem is something else, something which all sims / games have in common; the physics in general suck. During the lockdown I heard Max Verstappen complaining about it as well, didnt want to participate in virtual races because it doesn't feel real at all.

So Scawen realized this and started to work on the tire model. Remember, a car only functions and behaves as a car with the only surface contact that they have and this is being accomplished by tire rubber and it's canvas. It's a complicated process, best noticeable when switching from tire brand or even better; tire type. Due to my nature and the current very strange behavior of governments where I will not know where I will be on this planet months in advance I decided to switch to all-season tires. If you do this, you will experience that its less easy to do high speed cornering, there is less grip when accelerating and more importantly when the brakes are applied and the overall experience is just a less grippy situation. Tire manufacturers also know this and invent all kind of nifty techniques to improve this as I researched what gen3 has more to offer then my current gen2.It is being explained in one minute here and here and here .. Not only tire contact patches play a role but also the canvas material itself (and the profile with rain/snow but we don't have this @LFS, that would be extremely advanced).

So LFS lacks.. As every other sim.. A good tire model. So the decision was made to develop better tire physics in a seperate development branch. Sadly a better tire model never reached general public release status and is upto today only being used internally by track development. As developer it means you now all of a sudden need to code two different versions of a game/sim. Every serious change needs to be coded twice which sounds easy but it actually ain't easy. It can result that in one version something works but in the other version it means it breaks something and you then need to fix/work on this. This is very limiting and can be demotivating a lot because you can start to think like hhmm if I change this, will it break this and that. So you get less willing to make other updates on the other branch while the tire-dev branch keeps having an unfinished state.

And this is the main problem of LFS. LFS cannot be properly updated anymore by either getting rid of the tire development branch completely and just move on or just saying OK we are not going to do any updates anymore until the tire physics gets into public release state.

Now a big release update is in the works but I can predict that LFS will not gain serious popularity again if it doesn't get periodically updated -after this big release-. And then I mean not once a year but at least three times a year. It can be even total bullsh* updates, it doesn't matter. This is how the internet works, communities need regular timed updates otherwise interest gets lost. As long as this two LFS branched versions keep existing I have very low expectations about the future of LFS. Further tire physics development, or car physics development can be done but it should not be in a version where another developer needs to work with, as its suffocating everything.

---
People comparing LFS, which is a complicated multiplayer system, to some offline vehicle sim.. They do not understand how much of a difference this is. In a multiplayer environment the physics get communicated/calculated/processed across all 40 cars + spectators. It's a completely different level of complexity. It doesn't deserve more then one "sarcastic" line of text.

Now finally off to the pekara. See you later internet warriors.
You know what could really shake things up? Once the tire model is out and all these keyboard warriors who kept on defending how great the physics are, will be brought to a stage where the cars feel either like in Assetto Corsa or iRacing, will now suddenly, out of nowhere, praise HOW GOOD THIS UPDATE IS OMG...Yes, that will happen, I guarantee
Honestly didnt think my post would cause such a stir!...MB Fam.
Quote from False hope :You know what could really shake things up? Once the tire model is out and all these keyboard warriors who kept on defending how great the physics are, will be brought to a stage where the cars feel either like in Assetto Corsa or iRacing, will now suddenly, out of nowhere, praise HOW GOOD THIS UPDATE IS OMG...Yes, that will happen, I guarantee

You are incapable of imagining a good thing getting better? And it's all these other people who don't hide behind pseudonyms who are the keyboard warriors?
What's the % chance Racon of things getting better? Look at the tech that other top-level sims have available and how frequently they update, compared to this. Stop being a fanboy and be realistic Big grin
I don't care what tech is used to simulate tyres, I care whether it feels right or not. Immersion > everything else. IMHFBO, of course.
@False hope, what is the point of your comments, I don't get it. If there is no (or false) hope, then why are you still here? Making other people feeling bad? Does it make you feel better?
You have to be very naive to believe that a team of 3 people was able to make an outstanding model of tire physics, which cannot be done by large teams of developers of other race simulators. I don't.
Life For Speed had a great start. I personally remember how cool and fun keyboard control was when there were keyboard assistants. In some patch, the keyboard assistants were later removed (just before new to that time tire physics as I remember). If the developers could sell that physics model in order to insert such driving physics into another game like GTA, it would be a bomb blast and a revolution in the realism of that another game.
It is unlikely that the cozy indie LFS has a big future, there are too many competitors nowadays.
But I believe that the thoughtfulness of Live For Speed ​​can turn it to a great game engine, like Source or Unreal, but for the auto racing niche. Just think how cool a driving training simulator for beginners would look like on an LFS engine. Realistic city, realistic controls, realistic physics, realistic AI - you could learn to drive a car right from home.
-
(cpn72) DELETED by cpn72
Quote from cpn72 :You have to be very naive to believe that a team of 3 people was able to make an outstanding model of tire physics, which cannot be done by large teams of developers of other race simulators.

Or you could try them? Shrug

New life into LFS?
(128 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG