The online racing simulator
New life into LFS?
(128 posts, started )
I would like to see many more tracks added. The main reason I drive LFS (a simulator rather than a game) is to get experience on a track before I race there in real life.

Is there any possibility that we can get many more real-world tracks in the game? I can help out as much as possible. The closest and most interesting one for me is Pocono Raceway, which has multiple configurations. I realize it is similar to Kyoto, but again, for me the point is to use the LFS simulator for real-world training. :-)
Have you seen Pocono's alternate layouts?!. They're terrible at best and horrible if you're being honest.
Quote from MadDenker :I would like to see many more tracks added. The main reason I drive LFS (a simulator rather than a game) is to get experience on a track before I race there in real life.

Is there any possibility that we can get many more real-world tracks in the game? I can help out as much as possible. The closest and most interesting one for me is Pocono Raceway, which has multiple configurations. I realize it is similar to Kyoto, but again, for me the point is to use the LFS simulator for real-world training. :-)

well, sorry to break it to you but... LFS doesn't have any real tracks bar one which is no longer in racing use. What did you think you were buying?
Quote from mbutcher :I wish there was a like/upvote system here for posts like that. Good stuff.

That would be a really bad idea. It promotes non communication.
Quote from cargame.nl :That would be a really bad idea. It promotes non communication.

There used to be one. Needless to say, it wasn't for very long until it was removed due to misuse.
Quote from MadDenker :I would like to see many more tracks added. The main reason I drive LFS (a simulator rather than a game) is to get experience on a track before I race there in real life.

Yeah... everyone wants new tracks. I wanna track with a loop in it. Uhhh... no matter how you try to spin it, LFS is a video game. And you're never going to get that experience you want from just going around in a circle in a video game as what you will in real life. No matter how good the physics are or how well the track is modeled, it just ain't gonna happen. It might even work against you. Sure there are things about this game that can help you overall at a basic level, like getting an ideal for proper braking and learning to look for the best race line. You really don't need a specific car/track combo for that though. But this game leaves a lot out. Like how to deal with the effects of G-forces, negotiating random elements that appear on the track. How far you can push your car without screwing it up. You have to figure that out by actually driving a real vehicle on a real track. The cars in the game are optimized to be the best they can be, not the best as dictated by the limitations of your pit crew or financial limits.
Think Scawen thought he was close to the upgrade LFS a year ago Shrug

At least I thought that when starting update progress reports.
All looked smooth but then they stopped reporting.

Wonder whats going on?

Love to see a report now and then Taped Shut
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :
and just maybe.. they dont want it to go as we seen it did in 2007 (no names mentioned).

What happened in 2007? can you link some threads where i can read up on this?
I was hoping for a may progress report! Would be nice if we have one! ^^
Quote from Racer Y :Yeah... everyone wants new tracks. I wanna track with a loop in it. Uhhh... no matter how you try to spin it, LFS is a video game. And you're never going to get that experience you want from just going around in a circle in a video game as what you will in real life. No matter how good the physics are or how well the track is modeled, it just ain't gonna happen. It might even work against you. Sure there are things about this game that can help you overall at a basic level, like getting an ideal for proper braking and learning to look for the best race line. You really don't need a specific car/track combo for that though. But this game leaves a lot out. Like how to deal with the effects of G-forces, negotiating random elements that appear on the track. How far you can push your car without screwing it up. You have to figure that out by actually driving a real vehicle on a real track. The cars in the game are optimized to be the best they can be, not the best as dictated by the limitations of your pit crew or financial limits.

Thanks for the reply Racer Y.

I hear what you're saying, but LFS does provide me a lot of value as a simulator, way more than other titles out there, hence why I drive LFS. I would also argue that there is a lot of value to running laps in the simulator to improve real world performance. For instance, I am driving Mid-Ohio in mid September. I've never driven there. I only get about 3 hours on track in a weekend. So, if it takes 1-2 hours to learn the track and the braking points, that leaves me very little time to really charge the circuit and find the limits, usually at the very end of the second day. Even a few hours on the simulator would help immensely. True I could get some of that from a game, but the better the simulator, the more valuable the virtual training is.
I feel like if you're wanting to learn a specific track, then maybe a simulator that's laser scanned the track already might be a better choice. LFS is great for racing and the content that exists, but not if you're expecting specific tracks.
I think Live for Speed deserve real tracks more than any other simulator out there. But the life we live in is very unfair... where one of the most profitable games are GTA 5 / Forza with its flying cars and bikes.
Scavier dont Accept Help from other Guys,not even when its for free.
I can Undertstand that.

Its a Shame what happend to LFS,its simply Dead,like the Progress from Scavier.

Still waiting for "Early 09" and the VW,pff!
Quote from marcel. :...
Its a Shame what happend to LFS,its simply Dead,like the Progress from Scavier.

"non-delivered progress" is not "no progress", see what is prepared in the progress reports ! And we know that not everything is shown !
Quote from MadDenker :Thanks for the reply Racer Y.

I hear what you're saying, but LFS does provide me a lot of value as a simulator, way more than other titles out there, hence why I drive LFS. I would also argue that there is a lot of value to running laps in the simulator to improve real world performance. For instance, I am driving Mid-Ohio in mid September. I've never driven there. I only get about 3 hours on track in a weekend. So, if it takes 1-2 hours to learn the track and the braking points, that leaves me very little time to really charge the circuit and find the limits, usually at the very end of the second day. Even a few hours on the simulator would help immensely. True I could get some of that from a game, but the better the simulator, the more valuable the virtual training is.

Good point. LFS as far as the physics goes in it's game engine, can give you half a clue as to what to expect and what to look for in a circuit - if they modeled that particular track. I still think wheels on the ground is still the best way to accomplish this versus LFS, but if you only have 1-2 hours to get to know a track and racing against people that know the track like the back of their hand, something that accurately represents the track would be a big help in that regard. I think I misunderstood your original post.
I was waiting for the May progress report, it's been a long time, I hope we can hear new news.
I bet there are still many fans online, desirous of seeing new progress in LFS. Since LFS has an awesome game engine, any new vehicle or improvement in physics would be interesting to observe.
Quote from karamurat1004 :I was waiting for the May progress report, it's been a long time, I hope we can hear new news.

Last big update of South City or Kyoto have taken at least 3 months before we can have a look ... Fern Bay is requiring maybe lots of time aswell (I would bet on more ...) due to its 'level' ... so before end of June would have been very optimistic simply based on what we have seen through progress reports ! But anyway, surprises are always welcome !
Almost all race tracks in LFS are the product of imagination. I wonder how would real race track experts evaluate them.
Quote from Flotch :Last big update of South City or Kyoto have taken at least 3 months before we can have a look ... Fern Bay is requiring maybe lots of time aswell (I would bet on more ...) due to its 'level' ... so before end of June would have been very optimistic simply based on what we have seen through progress reports ! But anyway, surprises are always welcome !

The last update I can give for sure is that a about 6 months ago I got assurance that I would be able to run a second full season of the custom Layout Racing League without an update wrecking the layouts (i.e location and geographic changes).

Not much else I can disclose (well not much more actually), but I would guess that we will be close to knowing when things will be done by the end of this year, and the formal update possibly fall next year. I have trust in the team Tongue
Quote from MicroSpecV :Well, I've studied it long and hard enough to give a more basic explanation on how rake works in LFS. Baring in mind I'm not yet ready to expose the full details on how to set the car up (as I don't want to giveaway set-up tips), but if there's more interest I might.

Thanks to excellent15 (LLM Excellent) for helping out too during the BuggyRA Round 1 event, and trialing some dampers.

Okay, onto the stuff - (for the set-up itself, head to asterick * portion)

Basically, in LFS, cars have very forgiving rear ends, and thus a very high slip angle... [Snip]

Here's a hot lap showcasing the capability of the set - notice how it behaves (even externally) different from the mainstream set-ups, and also the responsiveness and ride quality.

It may not be right up there in terms of lap speed, but for a config that's vastly different from what you'd normally put into the car it's pretty darn close. Just 0.3 off.
Quote from MicroSpecV :Here's a hot lap showcasing the capability of the set - notice how...[snip]

Was looking for an explanation of how the set works, and I've found the most ideal video to explain how to drive it..

Basically he explains everything - it needs a predictive steering style, huge lock, good rear compliance (which the set has) and a new driving style. None of the rear skidding power sliding technique.
And it's true, for GT2c at Aston I nearly made a no-stopper work, until from a spin caused a puncture.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but let's see what the new tire physics update brings. Hopefully it reduces the 4 wheel drift/mario kart style the current handling model promotes...
what would it take from the LFS community to kick the devs into the next gear? As from what i have read it seems like your not interested in help, your not very interested in saying whats going on behind the scenes etc. What CAN the community do to help (live for) speed things along, if i was promised/guaranteed a product (Cars, tracks,features, career etc) i would have no problem giving $60 to LFS but as updates are few and far between (better in the last year) i cant even tell myself to get an s3 license because i dont see any desire from the devs to really make progress. If i saw updates like the beamNG group put out i would have NO problem providing funding to help you guys out. I would suggest trying crowd funding to help motivate progress.
Quote from bdog922 :what would it take from the LFS community to kick the devs into the next gear? As from what i have read it seems like your not interested in help, your not very interested in saying whats going on behind the scenes etc. What CAN the community do to help (live for) speed things along, if i was promised/guaranteed a product (Cars, tracks,features, career etc) i would have no problem giving $60 to LFS but as updates are few and far between (better in the last year) i cant even tell myself to get an s3 license because i dont see any desire from the devs to really make progress. If i saw updates like the beamNG group put out i would have NO problem providing funding to help you guys out. I would suggest trying crowd funding to help motivate progress.

It astounds me how people can't grasp the notion that 'funding' isn't the be all and end all. The developers have repeated over and over and over again how the traditional corporate structure is what they were trying to get away from with LFS.
And if you do feel like giving more money to the devs, you can easily buy LFS credits. It won't make LFS be developed faster, but you can feel warm and fuzzy inside.

New life into LFS?
(128 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG