The online racing simulator
VOB Mods [discussion]
(170 posts, closed, started )
Yes. But very likely nobody will care. Fan art is usually even encouraged and liked by original game devs.

Although if you would for example try to sell this as canvas-oil-painting for premium price and somebody of the material copyright owners would notice, they would probably contact you quickly about their share or went after hypothetical "damages" to milk you even more.
Quote from gu3st :Stealing content from another game does not constitute fair use, it's copyright infringement. Releasing it for free does not change that.

Ignore me then, I'll just be on my way playing modded BeamNG, Assetto Corsa, Street Legal Racing Redline, rFactor 2 and Drift Streets Japan whilst LFS players argue about nonsensical things Smile
Quote from gu3st :That kind of thinking will get Scawen sued into oblivion. If users are posting meshes ripped directly from Forza (which is a large number of modded cars out there for many sims), then that's putting Scawen hugely at risk. Maybe the car manufacturers won't care, but Turn10 who spent money licensing and building the car might have their own thoughts.

It's like saying that a music maker software developer can be sued because his software is capable of copying artist's songs.

EDIT: I'm no lawyer but if Scawen doesn't make an official release with a new car including an existing car brand or other game's own car he is untouchable.
relax ,, SIR ISAAC NEWTON revolves around its axis.
LFS needs its own original compatible ISO standard for destruction, sound and physics ...

Everything else must be provided create by the user for his safety.
update system for share setup ... create some now, some easy ,, OGIGINAL LFS Light diode model.. litle change color ... HaHaHaHa i playing in windows10 night mode(break law ?) . i love this color in lfs .. 15%night mode only + - ...

race way is hard ,, not posible full free for all ..
Quote from Evolution_R :I've made some mods using copyrighted mesh - does that makes me a thief?

Is that a theft too (photoshoped Forza Horizon 4 car over a LFS track)?

If you distribute it, yes it is theft. You do not own the intellectual property for that car, therefore you are not eligible to distribute it. You could build a program that would convert it from someone's legitimately owned version of Forza but by distributing it yourself you're breaking the law.
Quote from BeNoM :Ignore me then, I'll just be on my way playing modded BeamNG, Assetto Corsa, Street Legal Racing Redline, rFactor 2 and Drift Streets Japan whilst LFS players argue about nonsensical things Smile

Nonsensical? If you as a business or individual sell and/or facilitate the spreading of illegal stuff, then you're breaking the law. It's that simple. BeamNG and AC etc do not advertise with their shitty stolen mods that their game has. You can find mods the official way, but only approved mods. Guess why? Yeah because it's illegal. That why you will not find real brands or other stuff that is owned by a brand or a company on the official channels.

No one ever heard of IP? Ever heard of people being sued that copied games, movies, music etc? I don't see how LFS would be an exception to that rule. Saying nobody will care or something like that is just stupid and ignorant.

But as long as the LFS devs do not facilitate the hosting of these mods it's fine. Simple as that.
Quote from Paprika6 :It's like saying that a music maker software developer can be sued because his software is capable of copying artist's songs.

EDIT: I'm no lawyer but if Scawen doesn't make an official release with a new car including an existing car brand or other game's own car he is untouchable.

That's not what we're saying at all. The same goes for apps like Gimp and Photoshop. They're made to edit files in their way. As long as they don't make features specifically to copy/steal things that's fine, because now it depends on what the end-user will use the software for. But you can't use this comparison for LFS.
Let's say we don't upload the mods to LFS site(s). If I decide to make a mod (using copyrighted mesh) and share it with other people over YouTube using Mega.nz or Google Drive - at what risk I'm exposed as a person? Maybe only a copyright strike or there is a possibility of me actually being sued?

Probably the best thing will be if I do not share them... but then what is the point of making the mods if nobody can use them except me... Shrug

Quote from Bose321 :...do not advertise with their shitty stolen mods that their game has.

By the way some mods are really high quality which are times better than the stock cars (doesn't matter the game/simulator).
Quote from Paprika6 :It's like saying that a music maker software developer can be sued because his software is capable of copying artist's songs.

Music making tools such as cakewalk or fl studio are not capable of copying an artist song, you have to build or play the song using instruments/VST's ect , and yes if a lot of music will get flagged on places such as youtube even if the only thing that is resembles the original song is an acapella, some songs are in the public domain and may be freely remixed/mashed otherwise you need seek permission. All from personal experience over 10 years
Quote from Evolution_R :Let's say we don't upload the mods to LFS site(s). If I decide to make a mod (using copyrighted mesh) and share it with other people over YouTube using Mega.nz or Google Drive - at what risk I'm exposed as a person? Maybe only a copyright strike or there is a possibility of me actually being sued?

In theory they could subpoena the filehost for your identity and then sue you directly. The faster outcome is that they'd file a DMCA strike and get your file removed because content providers effectively can't reject a DMCA request if they wish to retain the protections that the DMCA gives them
Quote from Bose321 :You can find mods the official way, but only approved mods. Guess why? Yeah because it's illegal. That why you will not find real brands or other stuff that is owned by a brand or a company on the official channels.

Are you daft?

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?forums/general-modding-discussion.26/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/workshop/

http://driftstreetsjapan.com/mydownloads.php

https://steamcommunity.com/app/497180/workshop/

https://www.beamng.com/resources/

All of the above include real brands, don't spread misinformation to push your narrative mate.
Man it's like these kids have no idea about how the real world works
Quote from gu3st :Man it's like these kids have no idea about how the real world works

Haha,, ilegal Windows in Home ,, legal Windows in work .. normal world Smile .. best of bussines this free ilegal user Windows .. best money system freeilegal Home system..
Quote from Evolution_R :Let's say we don't upload the mods to LFS site(s). If I decide to make a mod (using copyrighted mesh) and share it with other people over YouTube using Mega.nz or Google Drive - at what risk I'm exposed as a person? Maybe only a copyright strike or there is a possibility of me actually being sued?

Probably the best thing will be if I do not share them... but then what is the point of making the mods if nobody can use them except me... Shrug

By the way some mods are really high quality which are times better than the stock cars (doesn't matter the game/simulator).

Pretty much no risk I think honestly. But if the LFS devs facilitate this, then they're at a much greater risk. That's the whole point. If LFS would allow modding and some people decide to create content that infringes someones IP that's not their fault, as long as they don't help host/spread this illegal content.

And yeah, some mods are incredible. Many hours are spent in BeamNG with some great mods over here!

Quote from BeNoM :Are you daft?

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?forums/general-modding-discussion.26/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/365960/workshop/

http://driftstreetsjapan.com/mydownloads.php

https://steamcommunity.com/app/497180/workshop/

https://www.beamng.com/resources/

All of the above include real brands, don't spread misinformation to push your narrative mate.

The BeamNG devs are very clear about illegal content on their official resources page, so I doubt you'll find much.

But still, if there's no consent from the IP owner of the mod, and you're spreading their work, it's illegal. Just because a brand is not putting effort into suing everyone doesn't mean it's okay to do. How hard is that concept to get? Just because you post a few links from unknown games that look terrible.

Also read the stance on this from Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/1335568846541784343

There are also plenty of cases about mods that infringe the IP of someone. So who's daft? Smile
"You can make them look like a car, but cannot name them that car.

A good example of this is the Burnout, and GTA series.

Brands do not want games to crash model their cars. It looks bad. Look at the mess some of the cars end up in during a GTA session !

GTA gets around this by bending the brand a little. Audi becomes Obey."

Makes a great point.

The infringement comes in my opinion when the model is copied from another game and not the use of the model itself.
EDIT: Too big subject
Can you PM me with the deleted message... I want to read it! Big grin Thanks!
I think VOB mods are positive, you can make amazing cars for example updating BF1 already with Halo etc ...
As long as it is well used I think that would be quite interesting
Lol

Looking good tho. Good job. (:
Quote from BeNoM :Lol

Now the "funny" part about this is, that the track is illegal in AC even if it was remodelled from scratch (and not extracted from LFS data files), because LFS devs allowed only blackwood to be recreated...

So this is excellent example of copyright owners breach and "ignorance" on the side of the modder?

I have difficult time to form my opinion about this, because I really like the modders hard work, and also I kinda like if somebody reproduces whole track on his own (although this looks like data extracted from LFS, which is kinda lame, but some work was put into it)...

But IMO people should pay more attention to the license terms of content, and start picking more content of authors who have more permissive license and give you liberty to do more fun stuff with it.

Because from the SW world I can actually see like some people not only don't prefer the more free licenses, but actually shit-talk the SW and push for the commercial SW with closed license.

Then again I guess it is lot more difficult for 3D artist to get actually some money from somewhere and also to release their models under some more-free license for reasonable price, I don't think you can create whole new own track for AC and put it on sale for $10 and expect enough users to buy it to cover your work-time, even if you would sell it with some kind of nice license allowing the users for further modding/exports.

I just don't see how that could work, especially now with people being pretty much ignorant about author's license and not realizing the extra value of the more permissive licenses.

(edit: this is commenting in general way, LFS is not free license either, it's very decent license in commercial world with life-time way, but it's still very limiting license like most of the closed-source SW, which makes all of the hard work of Scawen kinda wasted with regard to long term future, I find that somewhat sad, but then again, it's full right of Scawen to decide what he wants to do with his own work)
Quote from NENE87 :Here's another theft!

I think that is a strong word. Real thieves are out there and they are stealing billions. That's how our modern civilization works. A huge disbalance.
Any news about the official mods support?
It's been an year. Shrug
This thread is closed

VOB Mods [discussion]
(170 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG