The online racing simulator
VOB Mods [discussion]
(170 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Evolution_R :Any news about the official mods support?
It's been an year. Shrug

Thanks, this is not forgotten.

I hope to have more information in the next few weeks.
Quote from Evolution_R :Any news about the official mods support?
It's been an year. Shrug

Remember, no ripped models this time. Big grin
@nikopdr Well, yes. I'm sorry about that back then. Big grin
Quote from Scawen :Thanks, this is not forgotten.

I hope to have more information in the next few weeks.

Oh! Thumbs up
Quote from pajkul :I think I know what you are thinking, but no.

I think I know what you think he is thinking. Big grin
Appointment taken in the next few weeks 😁, nothing more
@Scawen if you don't mind, then I can post the information about the vob file that I received 10 years ago (c++ header file + 3ds max script file).

aslo can i post some screenshot from 3ds max with imported original vob?
Quote from Scawen :Hello Racers,

For a long time, we have not allowed much discussion about VOB mods. A VOB mod is a model that changes the shape of a car. Originally these could sometimes allow users to cheat online and were associated with hacking, so we did not allow discussion of it on our forums.

However, we know that many people who make mods are really being creative and enjoying some more of what LFS has to offer. So we are now allowing the sharing and discussion of mods in a new forum section, although we are not doing anything else to support mods at this time.

[EDIT: The new section is currently closed while we discuss rules and possible legal issues]
See below: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1955839#post1955839

Some rules must be followed:
  • Demo racers may only share or modify demo cars
  • Only licensed racers may share or modify cars that require an S1/S2/S3 license
  • Online servers for modded cars must use /modified=yes and require a password
  • Mods that allow cheating on public servers are not allowed
We hope that modders will enjoy the new section. [EDIT: Link removed for now]

hi scawen
I would like to say that some lfs modifiers will use normal vobs like xrt and xrg among others like xfg it would not be interesting to make room for these artists to give the opportunity to create lfs cars for other players to use ,,,, and even going through their supervision here on the forum for them to become effective in-game ..

like you did with the lfs track editor, and at the same time with the steering wheel turning increasing its direction in xrg and xrt ,,, it might be interesting to open this dialog here in this post. Maybe you even edit these cars to mode Drift or tourist run >>> follow the photos

I agree mods can allow a lot of creativity.
We are working on something but it will still take a bit longer, but not too long.
I can't talk about it yet, though.
I hope it is some kind of a modding tool making modding easy and fun. Shrug
Quote from Evolution_R :I hope it is some kind of a modding tool making modding easy and fun. Shrug

yes...but I think the dev will look for an idea to change the game's features without the cars becoming a circus of horrors in the hands of the users,,,
not spoiling the real idea of ​​the game

an idea that I can mention is the possibility of seeing changes in the structural setup mode for the racing, drag, drift, and oval type car using the lfs cars themselves, thus not violating the intellectual property laws of another famous brand,,

example tuning mode players could choose between various aspects of the car ex:body kit made by game devs keeping a clean line of cars I believe they want,,
Quote from Scawen :I can't really get into any discussions at the moment but we are working very hard and hope to say more within the next few weeks.

Quote from Scawen :I agree mods can allow a lot of creativity.
We are working on something but it will still take a bit longer, but not too long.
I can't talk about it yet, though.

=> you are teasing us Uhmm Omg omg omg
LFS
I think the risk of getting sued would be eliminated as long as mod discussion isn't done on lfs.net. Providing powerful modding tools is no infringement in itself. And the mods would go to other sites like for example race department.

Quote from Flotch :=> you are teasing us Uhmm Omg omg omg
LFS

very much so. I'm hoping for a modding system which makes it easy to import a model with UV maps.
Creating the car as a new class, and allowing us to do tweak-y stuff to them without using tweak. As well as full control over suspension geometry. A man can dream Big grin
Quote from pärtan :I think the risk of getting sued would be eliminated as long as mod discussion isn't done on lfs.net. Providing powerful modding tools is no infringement in itself. And the mods would go to other sites like for example race department.

very much so. I'm hoping for a modding system which makes it easy to import a model with UV maps.
Creating the car as a new class, and allowing us to do tweak-y stuff to them without using tweak. As well as full control over suspension geometry. A man can dream Big grin

big agree
This is my project!
XFG "hillclimb" version, probably with a 1600 engine Smile
Attached images
xfg_hillclimb.png
Quote from Scawen :I think we acted too quickly. What I imagined was people making meshes representing real or fictional cars, which would be their own work. It probably sounds silly but I did not understand that immediately we would see cars copied from other games that are almost certainly copyrighted.

I guess we should have discussed it in public first but no harm done, I think.

So how about another rule, only allowing original work, and disallowing meshes from other games, unless proof of permission is supplied? Would there actually be anything to share in that case?

EDIT: Even if we disallow links to copies of cars from other games, we are also unsure about the legal issues of allowing representations of real cars to be advertised here. Maybe it is OK for people to make and share their own versions of real cars when not used for profit, or maybe there are issues there. Though I'd find that hard to understand. I think someone can make a painting of a famous car without permission from the manufacturer. Are polygon meshes representations, like paintings? Maybe someone knows the answers to these questions.

I think you have a good point here. Look for instance how modding goes on AC . The developer just doesn't care about legal issues and just let everyone play with mods. They don't put themselves in first place having to deal with mod approval and mod hosting. Also, I don't think real cars uploaded on racedepartment with real logos and so on created from scratch ever got taken down due to copyright infringment if not stolen from other games (but may be i am wrong). I usually buy 3d stock models of cars for my work but i don't think the artists need to pay anything to the manufacturer although they get a profit.
In a game is perhaps different due to licensing but look how simracing.gp does: they have mods from racedepartment that represent real cars but they make sure they are not ripped from other games.
My take on this is that you can't block people from recreating real cars or stealing them from other games first of all, AC has been so successful thanks to mods and made it great over the years, i think you should make LFS completely open for modding and it will live for ever. What i mean is that you could go on with the sort of mod workshop you proposed that can be the official one, with approved quality and tested mods (not copyrighted of course). I would leave anyway the game open both for tracks and car mods of any kind but not on the official page. I know piracy is hard to fight but if you can't beat it you need to exploit it.
Quote from pärtan :I think the risk of getting sued would be eliminated as long as mod discussion isn't done on lfs.net. Providing powerful modding tools is no infringement in itself. And the mods would go to other sites like for example race department.

Totally agree. In this case may be they should get rid of the demo mode or people won't buy even the base game and no profit at all for the developer.
Can I post this? this is my kartcross project from mrt5 frame (wip).
Attached images
kartcross.PNG
Quote from NENE87 :Can I post this? this is my kartcross project from mrt5 frame (wip).

Hi, we now have a special forum to show and discuss Work in Progress mods:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/499

I'll close this thread now as it is from April 2020, long before we implemented real mods support.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to the discussion! Smile
This thread is closed

VOB Mods [discussion]
(170 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG