The online racing simulator
December Progress Report: South City
(194 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Flotch :Look at some Dover raceway videos, it fits the look and feel Fern Bay could have ... nicely Smile

That looks wild, i like it! I would laserscan the hell out of it. Feels almost like a rallycross track.
Quote from mbutcher :This.

Hmm I do not fully agree. X/Y determines the start/finish direction.

edit: but, hhmm.. On South City its not so important it seems.. Only SF-line is positioned wrong, there are no grid slots and traffic lights work in both directions so can create a custom grid field if you want other direction in the end.. I guess.
I actually forgot about Y being the other direction, fair point Dave. Maybe we need Z Wink
Or maybe simply a new configuration specific for that? SO0 South City Normal for everyday use if that is so improtant for others.
LFS needs some kind of a motion blur too. ^^
Quote from Eclipsed :SO0 South City Normal for everyday use if that is so improtant for others.

It's being created after Eric looked what cruise servers are doing I guess; placing a gazillion objects on the center of the road to prevent wrong way driving. Nice, but not handy for racing.

Maybe the appearance of these objects can get triggered by the cruise flag. (letter C @lfsworld)

[attachment] I also noticed this gray area, normally this is a section where you would expect an object. A place for pedestrians and or people with bike to pause when crossing the road, but its entirely removed here. Either coincidental or this is really a different mode where some object is removed.

Kinda weird by the way to have lightrail trains scattered around the racing/driving area. Normally they would be parked in a depot during an event but hhmm okay, nitpicking.
Attached images
Imahoupuge1.jpg
Quote from cargame.nl :Kinda weird by the way to have lightrail trains scattered around the racing/driving area. Normally they would be parked in a depot during an event but hhmm okay, nitpicking.

Check out the Gold Coast street circuit in Australia.
Attached images
458313D500000578-5000322-image-a-21_1508571492611.jpg
Cvam4sQUMAA1wN2-1024x683.jpg
ccc90c850c57658554b55336275b7eff.jpg
Used for commercial purposes? Smart.

But okay fair enough.
Nah, It carries passengers around as normal.
Its not possible @LFS because of some roadblocks so its not the same situation
I would love for the trams to be movable via InSim, but that's probably not gonna happen.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing Fern Bay. It was left for last, so it better be the best one, because that track really needs a massive overhaul.
Indeed, and please Eric, consider adding a Joker lap layout to the existing layouts, even if not implemented (code speaking), this is a must !! Same for Blackwood ! Heart
Quote from Flotch :Indeed, and please Eric, consider adding a Joker lap layout to the existing layouts, even if not implemented (code speaking), this is a must !! Same for Blackwood ! Heart

Gets my vote Thumbs up I managed to squeeze one into BL, but it's a bit lumpy on entry and a bit too long for my liking. I wanted to avoid changing the racing line to fit the joker, so there were a lot of placement options ruled out that way. I may have to let that standard slide to find a new layout.

Insim'd to DQ those who skip the joker lap, too. (PiranMOTORallycrossJoker).

I'm open to donated layouts on that server, so if anyone fancies having a go...
I needed to search for joker lap, but its an alternative piece of road to skip some part of the track? Whats the goal of this?
Yeah, an alternate route that just adds a few seconds to a lap. Everyone has to take the joker once, but on any lap. The choice of when to take it brings a little strategy into a very short race.
Quote from cargame.nl :I needed to search for joker lap, but its an alternative piece of road to skip some part of the track? Whats the goal of this?

I see that as chance to pass in races where safe passing is difficult,like rallycross. Actually mandatory pitstop has sort of the same effect. Shrug
Quote from Evolution_R :Yes... and DOF too. Tongue

I wouldn't still make an effect that varies per person... For example it's hard to see DOF for me at all, even though i try to concentrate on the surroundings of where i focus. for me DOF has always been a game breaking distraction rather than immersion as usually they end up simulating a near sighted person with 100-200 meters of vision, if there is going to be dof it should atleast be a toggle option Tongue

Motion blur is another subject, but this is also hard to replicate with monitor becase you need to have a fixed focus point, that usually is the center of the screen and it's unadjustable, unlike your own eyes when you can decide the focus point you're looking into etc.

These things imo translate quite badly to a 2d screen, and i would assume same problem exists in VR headsets since these monitors cant read where your eyes are looking at(and hopefully never will Tongue) which results the desired effects to appear fake-looking and to effects what you would see in photography rather than in real life.
Quote from Racon :Yeah, an alternate route that just adds a few seconds to a lap. Everyone has to take the joker once, but on any lap. The choice of when to take it brings a little strategy into a very short race.

OK but Fern Bay already has this then.
You could use the old pits with a chicane on the short course, or, on the long course, send them around the tree at the junction with the bridge. I'll get around to knocking those up some time Smile
I see there are imaginative people there Big grin Thumbs up
For FE5, using FE6 (R) would make a dramatic junction before the final corner ! I would prefer something a bit less dangerous. In the attached picture I have put in red the areas for FE5, and in blue the ones for FE6 I have in mind.
I agree with you Racon for the pits of FE6, as they are not very useful at all.
Attached images
FE_joker_lap_areas.jpg
This thread is closed

December Progress Report: South City
(194 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG