The online racing simulator
Graphics Progress Report: Aston
(104 posts, started )
The track looks awesome! That extra connection in the middle of the track will open more possibilities with open layouts, great!

Though I have the same opinion as many of us - that nearly 180° corner was converted into 2 (probably) 90° ordinary corners. I was wondering why was such a decision made. Maybe it's possible to get the idea from Eric why it was made that way? I do understand that this is Eric's work so he's free to do it however he likes and I respect him for the work he puts in. That would be my only question. Thanks!
Looks great!
i have a feeling that the upcoming tracks will all have sausage kerbs
Quote from mbutcher :I want to see this. +1

Please, just make this happen.

Haha, get Wilko to commentate it, too Big grin

I'm looking forward to see the track in action, looks like an authentic F1 track, and the asphalt runoff area in T1 (as3-6) looks like a good idea since the line with GTRs is very much in the outer radius. hopefully that green stuff is less grippy enough to reduce chance of getting a speed advantage from that runoff, though Thumbs up The level of detail is also on par. Keep up the good work guys!
Quote from The_Great :this NEWDIMENSION RACING still exists?

why there is no CITYDRIVING UK banner? more applicable nowadays

Quote from MousemanLV :Been away for 8 months on LFSforums and I am glad to see that the game is changing. Keep up the great work, I am genuinely happy about the progress. Even though it will never be like it used to be back when NDR and Genuine Racing held races, it would be definitely nice to hop on LFS one day once we will be able to say that a new era has started to take its shape. Smile
Even if I was one of the individuals who hated on the progress of LFS, I am truly happy to see that you guys are still working on the game. It just shows that you are really passionate about what you do, even if it doesn't match the standards of today's gaming industry (which is what I appreciate because it keeps the true and loyal people in this community still around and cheering you on for what you are trying to achieve).

Great work, a bright future is ahead.

New Dimension Racing still exist, we've done a small number of events in the last years. Internally, we're discussing resurrecting, hoping to bring stuff back to life sooner rather than later (and hopefully in line with these updates coming to the public).

I'm loving the look of Aston with this redo, but I'm also curious of the final layout of the old nearly 180 at the north end of the circuit. The Grand Touring cut between the main pit straight and the north pit straight has been tightened. I'm sure I'll fall out of my chair when we see what work is done to Kyoto, and will have a heart attack when we see Fern Bay!
Is it special for s3 or what?
Quote from ABDUL02 :Is it special for s3 or what?

No LFS gets graphical update so all tracks.
Quote from dekojester :and will have a heart attack when we see Fern Bay!

Too right, my favourite track in LFS, such a joy to drive
Quote from dekojester :New Dimension Racing still exist, we've done a small number of events in the last years. Internally, we're discussing resurrecting, hoping to bring stuff back to life sooner rather than later (and hopefully in line with these updates coming to the public).

I'm loving the look of Aston with this redo, but I'm also curious of the final layout of the old nearly 180 at the north end of the circuit. The Grand Touring cut between the main pit straight and the north pit straight has been tightened. I'm sure I'll fall out of my chair when we see what work is done to Kyoto, and will have a heart attack when we see Fern Bay!

Last event was fun. Even though I finished near the back (as is tradition) it was still awesome to chat/drive with some people I recognize.
#61 - troy
This is looking awesome.
Just goes to show you don't need to change graphics engines to make a game look realistic.
Incremental improvements and evolution can achieve the same goal, and with added benifits.
What do you mean "you don't need to change graphics engines" ... the work done is actually like changing graphics engine (although it's evolution of the old one, and "only" shadow, shaders and pixel pipeline parts were rewritten, basic geometry transformations are same(?) and the pipeline is in principle very similar, still forward rendering (I guess, I haven't seen the sources and Scawen didn't write that much about it), so it's not like completely new paradigm (deferred renderer)).
@Scawen:
Currently track updates are in work, after that (hopefully) the car models get updates... do you plan an update for the sound system / engine sounds, too?
Quote from Ped7g :What do you mean "you don't need to change graphics engines" .

Maybe some people think updated graphics need a complete replacement, like switching an established product, say Assetto Corsa, to the Unreal Engine...
Can it be deleted by X ?

It is important for Arab drift ?
Attached images
download.png
Another great update Scawen, I was racing on Aston last night (more like propping up the back end!) and can see how much the new version improves on the original Smile
Quote from ABDUL02 :

That looks like an uphill drag strip from here Big grin

(I'm guessing that it's a trick of perspective and that the track gets wider where it gets lighter-coloured)
Anyway, I agree about removing those at on open config... Or, hopefully, we get longer drag strip.
@Scawen Will those start light pylons be removed in open X config? My layouts (Lmaoring) goes through those stuff currently in "old" drag strap, so if the locations of those poles are moved then I will have to reconfig the track and the entire structures around it (Marcus Memorial stadium) which would be a PITA imo.

Also, as people pointed out, there seems to be a rise/elevation at the far end of the strip. Will this also render layouts on the current flat drag strip incompatible??

@Eclisped
I think it is indeed a uphill runoff area near the end of the strip.
Let’s wait for a progress report about autocross environment before requesting things about Wink !

I suppose everyone agrees that Eric is doing a very brilliant job updating those tracks from 10 years ago, and lots of people seem to request to have the same thing as before ^^ , weird isn’t it ? Big grin .
Even if ofc doing a big layout is a massive work, having the tracks in LFS at a high level of details with some nice lines to take to race on is imo the most important thing for everyone (current community, newcomers, devs) : rework of layouts shall be to consider directly, they will be held on a new area afterall.

Btw good find on the drag strip, inded it seems to end in an uphill area. It will help to stop heavy fat cars to come in the future !
I've checked and if I select Autocross X or Skid Pad X then there is nothing at the Drag Strip start, only the red tarmac.

There is an uphill area at the end of the drag strip that starts to rise gently about 620 metres from the start. At the 750 metres point it has gone up by about 0.8 metres. At 800 metres it's up by about 1.5 m and finally at the end, around 960 metres from the start, the height is nearly 6 metres.
MicroSpecV: The layouts are bound to particular LFS version, they were never supposed to be future-proofed, so obviously you have to check them and fix with every new patch.

Anyway, it's "just" a layout, now imagine if the mods of cars and tracks would be already allowed, and this update would break all of those too.. and this nicely demonstrates why mod tools for LFS are not available at this stage of development (as LFS is not even v1.0 yet and there are some major internal changes still on the Scawen's wishlist, so breakage is inevitable in future, at least as long as they will continue with LFS development).

I'm not trying to belittle the amount of work you did put into the layouts, but if you want to see LFS progressing, you have to swallow this one, sorry.
Quote from Scawen :I've checked and if I select Autocross X or Skid Pad X then there is nothing at the Drag Strip start, only the red tarmac.

There is an uphill area at the end of the drag strip that starts to rise gently about 620 metres from the start. At the 750 metres point it has gone up by about 0.8 metres. At 800 metres it's up by about 1.5 m and finally at the end, around 960 metres from the start, the height is nearly 6 metres.

Is it possible to delete this BY X if it can't be requested to be optional It's a favorite street for Arabs

please reply
Attached images
jhWiExnBSGuK5lpyAV7jqw.png

Graphics Progress Report: Aston
(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG