The online racing simulator
Graphics Progress Report: Blackwood
(147 posts, closed, started )
But..

Hahaha, well played Big grin
Quote from Flotch :A bit off topic, while I see the Aston subject raised, I was dreaming of a new corner for Aston Grand Touring (in aim to differentiate its layout a bit more than the GP one) : it would be to use the part of the last corner of Club as per the attachment

I would prefer this kind of track expansion (yellow lines):

There is part of track going to nowhere near club layout, so why not to expand it a bit...
Attached images
aston.png
Quote from michal 1279 :I would prefer this kind of track expansion (yellow lines):

There is part of track going to nowhere near club layout, so why not to expand it a bit...

I'm digging this idea Smile I like the first one more than the bridge tho, and its nearly there too. The opening on the other side is kinda there too.
Maybe Eric had some other better ideas aswell, as curently we know nothing else than it will be beautiful Big grin
But indeed, it is like South City : plenty of configurations are already dreamable in the current state !
South City will have an expansion for sure. I'm certain.

Aston has the potential as well, to branch out several new courses. Given the size currently I'd say any decent expansion and it can be a mini Nordschleife.

Looking forward mainly to SO facelift and West wing development. SO needs it badly.
Quote from MicroSpecV :South City will have an expansion for sure. I'm certain.

Don't hype yourself and others. I don't want to see people hyped by non official stuff and make devs looks like they over-promised and under-delivered. I think this update will just be a small upgrade to current tracks, and put the bases for other graphics or track upgrades Wink
Thank you Live For Speed Smile
Quote from nacim :Don't hype yourself and others. I don't want to see people hyped by non official stuff and make devs looks like they over-promised and under-delivered. I think this update will just be a small upgrade to current tracks, and put the bases for other graphics or track upgrades Wink

what nacim just said ^

BUT, as we've seen, it's probably that we will have some other areas that we can drive at, but you are right to think like that, too much hype can ruin everything x)
Quote from driftbrk :what nacim just said ^

BUT, as we've seen, it's probably that we will have some other areas that we can drive at, but you are right to think like that, too much hype can ruin everything x)

I don't want to create any hype, but the road thats currently blocked out next to the highway is marked on the map file, and seeing it also has TV cameras could mean that it's worked upon. I am very unsure about this but I remember reading something about it being the actual "chicane" layout, but that might be the hype when SO was updated years ago. Tongue
Attached images
lfs_000000142.jpg
-
FPS problems (DReyes03) DELETED by DReyes03
Quote from DReyes03 :The fps will go down?

In my mind it will have two influence due to shader changed....
1. Can no longer running LFS if your card are under NVIDIA GeForce 6200GT / ATI Readon X1300 / Intel GMA X3000.
2. Can running with better FPS because new shader might have better efficiency(If same version). However new effect should make it drops FPS.
you forgot about dynamic shadows and more elements of lighting combined into total image...

Actually I would in place of Scawen use simple answer: "yes, FPS will go down a lot" ... if I'm wrong, people will be happy that it is optimized well. If I'm right, they will hear it soon... Big grin Can't lose. (except there will be some moaning of people who didn't buy new computer in last 5 years, but there's no alternative any way, either the LFS is still in development and progressing toward being best simulator possible (and then it needs some HW power and it will surely not scale down over years, actually a high quality simulation will very likely eventually need higher frequency physics which will be another big step in HW consumption), or it's a toy game for low-spec PCs and then Scawen can quit his effort...
Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there will be options to reduce and/or turn off shadow and specular effects. Lighting will still be dynamic, but without specular effects, it won't be that much of an increase in compute power required.
Agree.

To ask something about the wonderful Blackwood we can see, Eric, can you plan to add a way to have a joker lap implemented for the rallycross configurations ? Like a chicane close to the pit exit or one on the right of the long straight of Blackwood GP in normal way (aim was to not design something differently, otherwise a gravel part with an hairpin would be nice of course Big grin ). I am not asking to implement the joker lap feature, but at least to have something built in the track for an implementation of the joker lap in the future when Scawen will have some free time to spend Ya right
Quote from Ped7g :you forgot about dynamic shadows and more elements of lighting combined into total image...

Actually I would in place of Scawen use simple answer: "yes, FPS will go down a lot" ... if I'm wrong, people will be happy that it is optimized well. If I'm right, they will hear it soon... Big grin Can't lose. (except there will be some moaning of people who didn't buy new computer in last 5 years, but there's no alternative any way, either the LFS is still in development and progressing toward being best simulator possible (and then it needs some HW power and it will surely not scale down over years, actually a high quality simulation will very likely eventually need higher frequency physics which will be another big step in HW consumption), or it's a toy game for low-spec PCs and then Scawen can quit his effort...

Right...What I mean "higher FPS" is based on the "parallel contrast" with different shaderSchwitz so it might be have some confusion. By the "game" side it will be drop FPS indeed, but overall it has better efficiencyShrug
omg! Looking Ya right
Thanks for still keeping this game up to date devs! It looks amazing! Na-na

I still remember playing the game for the first time off a demo compilation disc that was somehow legal to sell in stores.
Looking allot different..

Never thought that it would still get mayor overhauls 15 years later. Big grin
Why people are asking if it will affect FPS? Hell, of course a graphical update does it! Just remember what new Blackwood did to FPS one and half year ago (I personally did not suffer from it, but heard several potato users complaining low FPS on Blackwood). Think before ask Rofl
LFS has always had very low hardware requirements (insert obvious calculator joke). But at some point those requirements have to be raised to provide a bit more modern (and looking at those pictures Omg omg omg) graphics. However I'm confident that there will be options that allow some fine tuning.

That is just the way gaming on a PC is and more or less has always been. At least the timespan between buying a modern PC and it being completly outdated has increased a lot in the past decade. An i5 2500k is still a decent machine.
People complain how LFS graphics look outdated and old, now when the new shaders (graphic) update roll out people will complain how it affects their preformance.. It will affect your preformance when you are playing LFS on a microwave or toaster... You can get pretty good configurations for low cost now.

(can't wait...!) Great pics Smile)
Kyoto First
[/Donald mode]
More rallycross tracks

point to point same real rally circuits

aawwww pleeeeeeeaaasss
Quote from MacedoSTI :More rallycross tracks

point to point same real rally circuits

aawwww pleeeeeeeaaasss

True Smile
More Rallycross Tracks to places we can do special Rally
Poor Fern Bay Frown