The online racing simulator
My game review
(53 posts, started )
My game review
Few days ago I gave it a go and bought S3 package. I only played demo version before, and was quite curious what other cars feel like. Have to say I'm little bit dissapointed. All cars feel/sound quite similar. Camera options are quite limited, so I can't increase camera height in F1 car (I hate playing with limited field of view). Graphics is something from 2005. I won't complain about light calculation techniques, but at least you could add some hd mesh and textures for models, that is not that hard to do.
I hope in future there will be some diversity in the game. Like offroad cars, heavy trucks. I wanna see how physics would work under critical conditions.
Don't take this review as offense. It is just as it is. Wish you all the best.
I would strongly disagree about all cars feeling the similar. Of course, it would be great to have more diversity, but saying the cars are all the same is just not true. Have you tried breaking some records, pushing yourself to the max, spending some time on a car/track combo and getting used to the car completely? Well, I don't really think that's possible after 2 days of gameplay.
Camera/View options: the view / camera options are customizable. Have you visited Options - View while in a car? FOV, X, Y and Z offsets are all available and changeable (separately for every car).
As for the graphics and lighting, the developers are making great progress and a huge graphical update is getting closer. Check out the two published screenshot of the new graphics here: https://www.lfs.net/attachment/184311 and https://www.lfs.net/attachment/184314 . Comparison view between the old and new one: https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=2703f5ca-8e92-11e8-b263-0edaf8f81e27 Devs are planning to post screenshots and a progress report in August. I hope you'll still be around here and check it out Smile

I hope you don't take my reply offensive, either. It's just a pity that you give up after 2 days and leave.
#3 - nacim
Quote from AfterAll14 :Camera options are quite limited

Did you go to Options > View ? You can create your own custom camera per car, and customise every other camera.

Quote from AfterAll14 :Graphics is something from 2005. I won't complain about light calculation techniques, but at least you could add some hd mesh and textures for models, that is not that hard to do.

Graphics are the focus of the next update (mainly lighting and shadows, with some fixes on some tracks), wait for it.
Some track were already remade in higher quality (Westhill and Blackwood), and Rockingham is also in high quality, and the idea is to update progressively every track.
It's not a matter of hard to do or not (even if yes, it's hard to make high definition models and textures), it's mainly a matter of time. It takes time for a single artist to upgrade all the existing tracks while also creating new ones.
Thanks for your camera tips. I will try. I think I already did, but couldn't figure out how to make it work.
As for cars feeling. For sure they all have different physics. But they all FEEL boring and same. So I have 0 interest to continue playing with them.
"All cars feel quite similar" - seriously? How many cars did you try in those two days? What distance did you drive? Your online stats are all zeros and I doubt you did more than few hundred kilometers at best in offline mode in that time.
Yeah all cars in LFS are so similiar, that if I was given any of those cars while being invisible and not producing any engine sounds (being able to judge only by the handling) you can be sure I can tell what car I'm driving.
Do they feel boring? Well, stop cruising around and try some driving on the edge while hitting some good laptimes (if you can handle it at all).

Srsly, this feel like like a Steam review from person that has played 0.5 hours in given game but already knows everything...
yes ples big monster trak in lfs!! Smile Confused
@AfterAll14, dude, open youtube and watch some education videos or visit https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/ before writing such a misleading posts. The camera options are one of the most customizable and user friendly. I think you do not understand what makes this simulator special... too bad.
You don't need "educational videos" to play the game. If you can't figure out how to do somehing within the game - it's a game problem.
#9 - expr
Quote from MandulAA :I would strongly disagree about all cars feeling the similar.

I have to, strongly, second this. LFS certainly doesn't have a problem of too many cars, but the cars that are there are of great variety. I don't really even understand how someone would come to the exact opposite conclusion.

Also, I greatly prefer the "LFS way" of doing things, especially when compared to some other games that have chosen to monetise their operation by selling ever more "DLC" packs of new cars that are only really distinguishable from each other by their visual models and slightly different sounds, but not so much anything else. But to each their own, I guess. (Thank you for supporting the continuing development of the game, however.)
Might sound ugly now,but - why don't you return to Gran Turismo or Forza then?
I mean - most of us needed months to really get into this simulator to enjoy everything what it can deliver,you seem to be bored already after 2 days. For example I also wasn't too thrilled in first tries of LFS,but was hooked up right after 1st day I tried it online. It's online racing simulator,you know,the biggest fun is not racing sole car on empty track,but to race in actual races against real people.
Quote from AfterAll14 :Few days ago I gave it a go and bought S3 package. I only played demo version before, and was quite curious what other cars feel like. Have to say I'm little bit dissapointed. All cars feel/sound quite similar. Camera options are quite limited, so I can't increase camera height in F1 car (I hate playing with limited field of view). Graphics is something from 2005. I won't complain about light calculation techniques, but at least you could add some hd mesh and textures for models, that is not that hard to do.
I hope in future there will be some diversity in the game. Like offroad cars, heavy trucks. I wanna see how physics would work under critical conditions.
Don't take this review as offense. It is just as it is. Wish you all the best.

I bolded text from you, where I disagree completely...

...However, I understand perfectly. It is like cars are lightweight, and same methods with different cars makes... same things, unless going further to the edge. The best example are LX6 vs RaceAbout06 vs FZ50 cars.

...Unless, the method how you receive "things" from all 5/6 senses, is different.

EDIT: However, when using VR, things changes almost completely!

Quote from michal 1279 :"All cars feel quite similar" - seriously? How many cars did you try in those two days? What distance did you drive? Your online stats are all zeros and I doubt you did more than few hundred kilometers at best in offline mode in that time.
Yeah all cars in LFS are so similiar, that if I was given any of those cars while being invisible and not producing any engine sounds (being able to judge only by the handling) you can be sure I can tell what car I'm driving.
Do they feel boring? Well, stop cruising around and try some driving on the edge while hitting some good laptimes (if you can handle it at all).

Srsly, this feel like like a Steam review from person that has played 0.5 hours in given game but already knows everything...

Bolded on text:

I do not think this time that's the case of the problem. I am pretty sure this person can see different things and also feel.

I believe problem is have not gone enough far to the edge. Btw, Passenger cars in real life does feel somewhat same, especially if very similar suspension and other characters. There are things going to be changed once similar fashion: going to edge happens. Anything which is different between 2 or more comparable cars, starts to give higher "multiplier" the further they go.

This is thing I explained quickly, but I am pretty sure every person understands it. So the answer is: Go further! ( In terms of getting more different senses with different things )
Quote from AfterAll14 :...they all FEEL boring and same...

Man, I'm sure you haven't tried FO8 yet Big grin Taming that beast is still quite challenging for me even after 11 years of playing. And it feels everything but boring. I suppose LX cars too... I don't drive them much.

Just driving them is one thing, but trying to be competitive, as guys above suggested, is totally different story if you have passion for doing so.
Quote from AfterAll14 :
As for cars feeling. For sure they all have different physics. But they all FEEL boring and same. So I have 0 interest to continue playing with them.

The cars actually do have the same physics, because it's a consistent simulator. But every single parameter is different. Also your criticism doesn't make sense because LFS have an objectively high variety in the few cars available. Maybe you should be more specific in what aspect you feel the cars are too similar in.

I guess what you're trying to say is that they all feel like cars, which is the whole point of the game. Shrug
Only in LFS, the cars feel completely different for me. At AC I have more similarities I think so. (G27)

Everyone feels differently.
Quote from AfterAll14 :You don't need "educational videos" to play the game. If you can't figure out how to do somehing within the game - it's a game problem.

What sims did you even play to say that, lfs is by far one of the easiest sims to understand.
Assetto corsa's interface is similar to rfactor...1 witch is very bad for the time they have between them, the only rediming thing in AC is the live hud changes you can do.
Iracing is so focused on online racing that there is little fun factor to it, like just running arround, and doing drifts or whatever.
LFS is easy to understand, hard to master.
Today I played it little bit, so I can make some corrections to the initial review.
Every car physics is definitely different. And physics feels very natural. That is a good point.
But all cars look ugly, they are modelled and textured in a similar way, like the modeller only gave it 5 hours for the whole game. Sound is average and it's same sound algorythm for all cars. Formula 1 car has same tyre slip sounds as any road car - that is very lame. Also when driving in cockpit mode camera is shaking too much. That doesn't help at all to control the car given limited field of fiew. I didn't try advanced camera options yet so maybe it can be fixed.
The only good point here is physics. I would give it 9/10. The rest is made on very basic amateur level. And it makes big impact on the overall driving feeling. The game feels boring.
Quote from AfterAll14 :But all cars look ugly, they are modelled and textured in a similar way, like the modeller only gave it 5 hours for the whole game. Sound is average and it's same sound algorythm for all cars. Formula 1 car has same tyre slip sounds as any road car - that is very lame.

old models and sound system

Quote from AfterAll14 :Also when driving in cockpit mode camera is shaking too much. That doesn't help at all to control the car given limited field of fiew. I didn't try advanced camera options yet so maybe it can be fixed.

all that can be fixed easily in camera options

Quote from AfterAll14 :The only good point here is physics. I would give it 9/10. The rest is made on very basic amateur level.

agree and that is one of the few reasons why this simulator is still being used

as said before, it's easy to understand and hard to master as driving a car fast in real life, it is very rewarding when you get it right but it takes time
Quote from AfterAll14 :The game feels boring.

Man, why did you waste your money on something you did not want to like in the first place?
Quote from AfterAll14 :Also when driving in cockpit mode camera is shaking too much. That doesn't help at all to control the car given limited field of fiew. I didn't try advanced camera options yet so maybe it can be fixed.

If you do not like the default camera settings then why do you not change the settings?
If you have problems to figure out the options then just ASK, instead of wording it like a "review"...
Quote from AfterAll14 :You don't need "educational videos" to play the game. If you can't figure out how to do somehing within the game - it's a game problem.

The fact that you do not understand the game is not a problem of the game but of your head. This game is one of the easiest to understand and adjust, everything is so easy to understand that even children of 12-14 years of age cope. The cars were boring, sounding the same way - tried in the forum and internet sounds to download, there are different cars for each car. He had read the forum first, coming to an online server - you are just troll and noob Omg omg omg
LFS was never really boring... just lacks racers and for some people... motivation.
Quote from AfterAll14 :Today I played it little bit, so I can make some corrections to the initial review.

Driven distance : 0 Km

ok

As I did not see anyone posting specifics, you can disable the camera shaking completely by setting all 'Acceleration shifts viewpoint' sliders to 0 (to the left), in Options - View. You SHOULD try advanced options, because you miss out on too much if you ignore them all Smile
Wat a bs

My game review
(53 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG