The online racing simulator
LFS-Racing sim no more!
(61 posts, started )
#1 - CSU1
LFS-Racing sim no more!
Ok, I might not have the best pb's or be the most popular racer out there, but I still race every night and have done so for eighteen months.
I hope I speak for the majority of us, in saying that I feel well...
let down for the lack of information about this hack/code whatever it is
that are making these drivers go so fast.
To me It's just not the same anymore,
the competitiveness and sport is no longer there when knowing that Driver x. might be cheating.
When I started talking on a team server about it I casually got brushed off
and someone said it was old news!
Not to me.
So if I have missed a bulliten from LFS, please forgive me, excuse this thread and point me to where I can get some answers.
As I said I hope I speak for the community.
I like yourself have missed this "go fast" cheat that people are saying is doing the rounds.

However, ask yourself does it really matter?

Try and improve your own times and forget the prat that wants to cheat to win. I'm sure one day someone will be able to identify who's using it and who's not, then ban them!
I am not having a go at you but if you used the "search" button on the forum or browsed around a little you would know that there has been issues with people cheating and that its an exploit and that it will probably be fixed in the next big patch...

edit* damn you Chris Kerry
Normally on S2 servers everything is fine. The likelyhood of someone cheating to gain a few seconds off your times is just a fast driver with lots of experience and practice. Heck, probably been around LFS for 2 or 3 years to know what is going on.

The only place this "speed cheat" is being used is on demo servers by 1 or 2 unknown users. This has only been around for 2 weeks or so. It is obvious and not subtle... a player that goes twice your speed on the straights, and cannot control the car no matter how hard he tries with keyboard.

If you think a driver's time is too fast to be true, check LFSWorld and see what the world record is -- which are honest laps.
No one would dare use a hack on S2 as it's just a waste of your £24, this hack is noticed easily and i'm sure that it can be made very discreet but you can allways tell if somoene is making time on the straight and if you have any suspcions save the replay and check it compared to other drivers.

If you race on demo then I guess you just have to expect it as people who use the hack on demo don't care about the game and getting fast times, just showing off that they can go so fast.

But I think your going overboard a bit as the racing has stayed the same to me and on S2 i've got no suspicions about other drivers on there.
#6 - CSU1
Quote from Madman_CZ :I am not having a go at you but if you used the "search" button on the forum or browsed around a little you would know that there has been issues with people cheating and that its an exploit and that it will probably be fixed in the next big patch...

edit* damn you Chris Kerry

Ah yes, I very aware of the "search" button, and was also very aware of the problem, my point was too the lack of info, and how cheated I feel.
Quote from CSU1 :Ah yes, I very aware of the "search" button, and was also very aware of the problem, my point was too the lack of info, and how cheated I feel.

I agree with Bawbag - don't worry about it on S2 servers. I'm 99% sure I haven't seen anyone cheating in S2.
Quote from Tweaker :a player that goes twice your speed on the straights, and cannot control the car no matter how hard he tries with keyboard.

And has no tyres left after a lap or two.
#9 - axus
I'm sure it will be delt with in the next incompatible update, or perhaps even a dedicated server patch (assuming that's possible) as soon as the devs know how to get around it. Join a league - no-one will use this thing in a league.
Author, drink some poison.
sorry to say that but that cheat(s) work currently on S2 servers as well.It least the guy who make it is saying he tested this and it works on S2 too.
Quote from Tweaker :If you think a driver's time is too fast to be true, check LFSWorld and see what the world record is -- which are honest laps.

This supposedly works on hotlaps too.
And the most scaring thing that if someone uses the hack just a little, so that he gains a little edge over other players, but no one can be sure he is using a cheat or is he just a fast driver. Or if some fast driver starts to use it...
Quote :This supposedly works on hotlaps too.

i remeber a thread about a blackwood hotlap that was using a cheat. so yes, but thats only assum,ing it was the same cheat. forgive me if im wrong.
that particular hotlap cheat was unrelated to this cheat. Something totally different in fact.
I'm 100% sure that none of the fast drivers would ever THINK of using any cheat. It would be noticed and whatever reputation he had before would be gone in a second. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
#16 - SamH
Quote from DEVIL 007 :sorry to say that but that cheat(s) work currently on S2 servers as well.It least the guy who make it is saying he tested this and it works on S2 too.

You're speaking of a guy who has manufactured a cheat. You think he will not manufacture a lie?

I'm not suggesting that his cheat doesn't work on S2. I'm saying that it should not be assumed, just based on his claim. His word can not be trusted.
Quote :
that particular hotlap cheat was unrelated to this cheat. Something totally different in fact.

okey dokey no problem. just thought id bring it up as it could have been related
Cheats are a part of any game. All you can do is keep on top of them as and when they come out. A Punkbuster system might work.

Punkbuster is used in the first person shooter genre and allows you to get a screenshot of the other players screen to check for any visual cheats, like hacked textures etc.

You'd need to abstract it for LFS, as a screenshot wont help. Instead you'd need to write something that allows an admin to query a certain player if suspected to check if his accellerative capabilities are above what the car is capable of in it's current set up.
i think analyse for speed can show all that.
all we would need to do was save the multiplayer replay, and then output HIS/HER lap data, and open it, then we could see what was happening at every tenth of a second. i think.

edit: is it possible to output lap data from a multiplayer replay?
LFS need a 100% bulletproof protection system, because if more cheaters/hackers come, they will ruin the game Just look what hackers made to the game MU Online :/
aaahh you cant output lap data frm multiplayer replays. thats my idea out the window then.
Quote from MataGyula :LFS need a 100% bulletproof protection system, because if more cheaters/hackers come, they will ruin the game Just look what hackers made to the game MU Online :/

I highly doubt LFS or any other game will have a 100% bullet proof protection system. All they can do is make it harder for people to hack it. If someone really wants to hack it they will.
I'm using LFS for over a year now, first with KB and now with a DFP, and after playing a couple of months, I tought, wow how can people go that fast, as I put everything I've got into my laps, and still go 4 or 5 seconds slower. Since I'm using a DFP, my laptimes with the XFW on BL1 has improved very much from 1:37:.. to my recently set PB of 1:35:00 which I'm very proud of. Otherwise, I still see drivers doing a 1:33:.. which is almost 2 seconds quicker. But, I'm having much more close races, since my time has come down. And I think that close racing is ten times better, then win a race with 10 or 20 seconds in front of the most of the pack. So, keep practising and enjoy this great game.
Quote from SamH :You're speaking of a guy who has manufactured a cheat. You think he will not manufacture a lie?

I'm not suggesting that his cheat doesn't work on S2. I'm saying that it should not be assumed, just based on his claim. His word can not be trusted.

I think he is dumbass who is trying to show off how good he is.I am not saying he must be right but unfortunately it looks like a more true then a lie.

Only DEVs or moderators could give some light on this if its working online in S2 or not.
#25 - Woz
Cheats in online games are a fact of life. CS, Quake and the FPS world are swiming in them hence software like PunkBuster that scan your machine and look for cheats being run.

There is one major difference between LFS and FPS games though in that cheating in movement of an entity (Car/player etc) is easier to spot that something like an aimbot in the FPS world.

If there is a cheat out there it WILL be used by people in the wild, that is a given. Detection code is needed so if you are detect using a cheat your LFS licence is banned for for x days/weeks etc. It should be simple for a server to detect cars moving much faster than allowed or cornering faster than allowed as the server will know your car setup and hence can calculate what it is capable of.

I needs to be detected on movement because people will just hide the cheat from detection tools using rootkits and the like if the LFS client just looks for progs in the task list etc.

LFS-Racing sim no more!
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG