The online racing simulator
Drift Tracks needed!!
(177 posts, started )

Poll : Do u wanna see this to be done?

Not really.
Very much so!!
Dont care.
Sure.
Quote from Gabkicks :wtf lol the thread was getting interesting than you come in and make very strange post.

Merely an observational analysis. : )
so... if we try to explain in detail what we mean with the words we say, we are "splitting hairs".

if we do not try to explain in detail what we mean with the words we say, there will be misunderstandings.

Somehow, i don't think you thought your cunning plan all the way through.
Quote from m374llic4 :Merely an observational analysis. : )

sorry i am ill and i keep making bad posts.:hidesbehi
Quote from m374llic4 :Mountian circuts are wanted. THAT IS ALL.

By less than half of the people that have voted
I haven't read this whole thread but.... all I have to say is....

Why not get the best of 2 kinds of motorsports and make tarmac rally stage courses? You can drift on those. You can enjoy some 'rally' driving. And you can race on them I guess. Maybe even tarmac stadium event courses.

Specific drift courses are not really needed. I know there are quite a few actual tracks made for drifting exclusively, but you could always just use a track which can be used for normal racing that has lots and lots of flowing turns (and would need to be a small track with fewer straights).

But really, I think the title of this thread throws people off. Having tracks made only for drifters is what makes it seem unfair to some of us. If you make a track that is suitable for a wide range of driving/racing styles, then nobody will complain .
Quote from Tweaker :If you make a track that is suitable for a wide range of driving/racing styles, then nobody will complain .

That's a good point!

The stadium course would also serve karts if we get them some day
IMHO the vote (and the name of the thread) isn't about whether we want mountain/touge tracks or not, it's about wanting drift tracks (such as Sekia Hills). If we had a vote about would we want a mountain/touge track to LFS, I could easily imagine the voting numbers being reversed. I voted 'Not really' to this poll. Why? Because we don't really need drift tracks (like in the video above). All the tracks we have now are perfectly suitable for drifting and most of them offer many very fun corners to link after another. Of course mountain tracks are great and as Mr. Tweak said, they would cater both sides of motorsports, drifting and racing. However I very much doubt we are ever getting one.

There is however one really simple thing that the devs could do that would make lots of drifters in to happy campers, and that is increasing the maximum steering lock of the road cars back to 45 degrees like in the good 'ol S1 days.

I know, I know.. I've heard the same old story: "It wouldn't be realistic because no real life stock road cars don't have over 36 degrees of lock" but then again, how realistic is it to have so much car setting options in the road cars? The decreased steering lock has bugged me ever since S2. There is really no reason to decrease it with all these detailed car settings, as none of the cars we drive in LFS are even close to their stock roadcar form of real life.

Think about it. Increasing the max lock back to 45 would be a win-win situation. Racers wouldn't even notice it (which means no bitching about LFS being aimed for drifters) because they hardly use high steering locks, while drifters would get a more enjoyable driving experience with higher drift angles and more realistic drift car behaviour. That is because the very first thing any serious real life drifter does is to modify his car to allow more steering angle. Getting 45 degrees of lock from the old AE86 Corolla for example is a breeze, couple new parts to the steering system and voila. It's no more unrealistic than having the amount of car settings we currently have in our road cars.
Quote from Matrixi :That is because the very first thing any serious real life drifter does is to modify his car

BZZZT! no car modifications. (of this kind at least). they won't allow "drift tyres". why would they allow greater steering angles? they removed it in the first place.
Quote from george_tsiros :BZZZT! no car modifications. (of this kind at least). they won't allow "drift tyres". why would they allow greater steering angles? they removed it in the first place.

maybe because drift tires arent actually real, they are to some extent, but you dont go to the store and say "give me some drift tires". where as you buy tein tie rods and ends with the steering lock spacer you get increased angle. Which is a real thing. saying no modifications is stupid. The GTR's are full out mods to their slower counter parts.
Quote from george_tsiros :BZZZT! no car modifications. (of this kind at least). they won't allow "drift tyres". why would they allow greater steering angles? they removed it in the first place.

lol did you read his whole post?

It isn't any more of a car modification than the adjustable suspension units that we currently have. What kind of a stock roadcar has so many suspension, steering, transmission and differential change possibilities? I sure as hell would love to know, I'd buy one right away!

If you would bother doing some research before posting absolute nonsense, you would know that the reason why the road car steering angle was reduced by the devs in S2 was to make it more realistic stock road car like.

PS. Care to elaborate what the hell are "drift tyres"?
"more realistic stock road car like."

that is why they removed it. if they wanted it, they would have kept it. that is enough reason to expect it remains removed. And considering that of all the crazy tweaking that can be done with the geometry, they limited *this* specific tweaking, it must mean they are rather picky about it.

p.s.: hell if i know, but it says in the suggestions log that they won't be seen in LFS.
all they did to the steering was set it to realistic levels - same as they have endevoured to do for the other settings. Not sure what makes you think it was some sort of specific 'anti drift' move...
Quote from george_tsiros :that is why they removed it. if they wanted it, they would have kept it. that is enough reason to expect it remains removed. And considering that of all the crazy tweaking that can be done with the geometry, they limited *this* specific tweaking, it must mean they are rather picky about it.

Sigh. Knowing about the easyness of adding more steering lock to your car requires a bit interest and knowledge about drifting, which I'm guessing the devs didn't really care about at the time. I highly doubt that any racer would be interested in adding more steering lock to his car, because he won't need it unless he will make a mistake and starts to oversteer and has to countersteer to prevent spinning. The work of adding more steering lock is pretty worthless in the world of racing. It's just plain dumb saying that having more steering lock would be unrealistic, considering the currently unrealistic amount of settings we have available to tweak.

Quote from george_tsiros :p.s.: hell if i know, but it says in the suggestions log that they won't be seen in LFS.

Of course they won't be seen in LFS, because they don't exist.
Quote :It's just plain dumb saying that having more steering lock would be unrealistic, considering the currently unrealistic amount of settings we have available to tweak.

so... which direction should we go...

more realism?

less realism?

hm...

well, greater lock angles are not unrealistic, per se, but they are not seen in the world of racing. this might surprise you, but i am indeed interested in drifting, i'm getting better at it, actually, but that wasn't the reason i know that the modification is easy.
Quote from george_tsiros :so... which direction should we go...
more realism?
less realism?
hm...

That decision is up to the devs in the end. I'm guessing that atleast by the time of S3, the current road cars are either stripped from their high tweakability options OR they will get more options to tweak at (such as separate high and low speed suspension damping, wheel track etc). I personally favour the later, more unrealistic option in this case. Tweaking the cars in LFS is fun, even if it may be unrealistic, it's fun.

Quote from george_tsiros :well, greater lock angles are not unrealistic, per se, but they are not seen in the world of racing. this might surprise you, but i am indeed interested in drifting, i'm getting better at it, actually, but that wasn't the reason i know that the modification is easy.

I know high steering lock angles aren't usual in the world of racing, that's what I said in my previous post. As said before, LFS is a racing simulator and having more steering lock would be a win-win situation and do no harm to anyone. Or do you disagree?
I just cant wait till its finally finshed, and it can be up to us, with modification abilities and track editors. Then threads that get no where like this can stop, because i could just go make a mountian pass track, and a mod with increased steering angle. Soon enough I suppose.
Face it, curent levels of steering lock in S2 are far from unrealistic. At maximum lock, all road car based vehicles in LFS have turning circles pretty similiar to RL counterparts anyway. Just try the TBO class cars and none of them have turning circles that deviate wildly from what one could reasonably expect.

There is simply no good reason to change max lock angles currently available.
Quote from m374llic4 :I just cant wait till its finally finshed, and it can be up to us, with modification abilities and track editors. Then threads that get no where like this can stop, because i could just go make a mountian pass track, and a mod with increased steering angle. Soon enough I suppose.

..dont ever count on it
The poll was about drift only tracks, not mountain passes. If this thread was about a mountain pass style track like the Japanses stages of the WRC, the poll results could be massively different.

A mountain pass style tarmac track is a MUCH better idea, since it satisfies pretty much everyone from drifters to circuit racers to serious rally drivers (like ME! ).

A little poll:

Would you guys like me to start a real poll on a mountain pass style track (not this drift only track madness)? If I get 3 agreements or more, I'll gladly start a new thread on mounain passes, NOT DRIFT ONLY.
I
Wow! With that kind of attitude, no wonder we're losing license sales.

Guys, it's better to welcome people then act like a bunch of jerks (I get too much of that in RL anyway). It generates a much more positive, welcoming and productive atmosphere. If I read that thread before I got my S2 license, I would have just forgotten about LFS because this community is overpopulated by jerks.

Downhill == wrong way? When would you guys learn that the earth is NOT FLAT? Seesh.

This is an improvement suggestions thread, not a "pick on the demo racer" thread.
Just want to say: I´m really happy with the Car Park. Millions of track combinations possible.
Attached images
dodge.JPG
but there should be a sand/graval/grass possibility for the carpark as well...

Drift Tracks needed!!
(177 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG