The online racing simulator
Drift Tracks needed!!
(177 posts, started )

Poll : Do u wanna see this to be done?

Not really.
Very much so!!
Dont care.
Sure.
A faster lap time is always a faster laptime, unless the temporal mechanics at the region by which the laptime was achieved was somehow warped.
WRC cars drift because they are usually slightly front heavy (engine, tranny, front diff). They do compensate this by putting the driver and co driver further back, but it doesn't help completely. So on loose surfaces (snow and gravel) they oversteer a bit (drift, powerslide, whatever) to compensate for the front heavyness and prevent the understeering from happening. That's all. Go play RBR and go through a gravel hairpin the normal, racing way and then go through it while oversteering. What's better?

EDIT: Or use the RB4 on FE RallyX track (the long one). There's a nice hairpin there.
Moot question. They are, strictly speaking, drifting anyway. The only way to completely avoid all sideways motion is to drive like a granny. Scandinavian flick ("feint drift") through the hairpins perfectly and you'll see why Scandinavians historically dominate snow stages.

On tarmac events, fastest is usually smooth and neutral, until you reach that ultra-tight switchback...

It's just a function of lateral grip. On gravel and snow surfaces where longitudinal grip exceeds lateral grip, controlled drifts (not all over the place tail wagging) are the fastest. On tarmac events where lateral grip is as good or better, smooth and neutral dominates until that 2-lane wide hairpin turns up. Now where's the handbrake...

Remember, WRC cars are practically aero-downforce free, especially on non-tarmac tracks. Significant downforce would wreck havoc with suspensions as downforce grows with the square of speed, causing supension compression, the last thing you'll need to survive that bump...

The reason High downforce cars don't drift is because of their reliance on aero-downforce. A few CFD tests with an F-1 style wing will quicky show that wings don't like yaw angles greater than 2 degrees.
Quote from Jamexing :...
Remember, WRC cars are practically aero-downforce free, especially on non-tarmac tracks. Significant downforce would wreck havoc with suspensions as downforce grows with the square of speed, causing supension compression, the last thing you'll need to survive that bump...

This sounds wrong to me. The cars have their "wings" attached on all races, and they do add downforce to the car resulting in more grip. Was it Solberg or someone else who lost his rear wing and the car became a lot harder to drive. WRC does use aerodynamics even though they are not as important that they are in F1
The rear wing was simply used to relieve excess oversteer at high speeds. since all WRC cars are front heavy anyway, they are usually set to oversteer quite a bit to aid turn in and exit.

The wing on Solberg's Subaru is chiefly to stabilize the rear. It's no surprise that he complains of the car being harder to drive without it, especially at the higher speed sections.

The downforce to weight ratio of WRC cars are no where close to 1 even at top speed. At attempt to attach chin spoilers would be futile, since they'll only survive until the next jump.
Quote from Jamexing :The rear wing was simply used to relieve excess oversteer at high speeds. since all WRC cars are front heavy anyway, they are usually set to oversteer quite a bit to aid turn in and exit.

Don´t really understand what the front/weight balance have to do with the drifting. IMHO a heavy back is more easy to force into drift. Look to a Renault Alpine A110 for example.
That's why Porsches are setup to understeer, since their pendulum like rears swng around a lot anyway.

Front heaviness causes understeer, as that massive front mass is reluctant to turn. To compensate, the car's suspension is set to cause oversteer.
Like the best driver of all time says: "As soon as the tail (Audi S1) starts to slide, it's safe to nail the throttle until you start catching flies with the side windows."
This is just turning in to a "my dick is bigger then yours" thread about peoples supposed knowledge on history and racing.

The fact is people want mountian circuts. End of story.

Lock thread.
Quote from Jamexing :I'm saying don't judge drifting based on the overcommercialized sideways for the sake of sideways junk.

But that is what drifting is! The definition of drifting to me is overseering the farthest you can, making the most smoke, and getting points. Every thing else, like WRC, is not drifting. That's just going fast.
Agreed, m374llic4
Quote from m374llic4 :This is just turning in to a "my dick is bigger then yours" thread about peoples supposed knowledge on history and racing.

Lock thread.

It´s always good to read through a WHOLE thread before answering something stupid. See the threads name? It´s about drifting not about rallye stages. illepall

Crazy "LFSzilla" Harry =)
Quote from Crazy Harry :It´s always good to read through a WHOLE thread before answering something stupid. See the threads name? It´s about drifting not about rallye stages. illepall

Crazy "LFSzilla" Harry =)

I have read the whole thread. Which is exactly why I said what I did. If you had read it also, you would say the same thing. illepall

Anyways, I am going to go race.
one can take corners oversteering for two reasons.

a) to show off
b) to take the corner faster

both are "drifting".

the first is "drifting", as in "a sport called drifting"
the second is "drifting", as in "a technique used in racing".

is it clear, this way?
Quote from george_tsiros :one can take corners oversteering for two reasons.

a) to show off
b) to take the corner faster

both are "drifting".

the first is "drifting", as in "a sport called drifting"
the second is "drifting", as in "a technique used in racing".

is it clear, this way?

No, it really isnt. Only the first one is "drifting." The 2nd is just oversteering.
There is just a terminology barrier.

I never ever ever drift whilst racing. I might get a bit of a slide (or a big slide), and I might vary my slip angle depending on circumstance, but I'll never drift. Drifting, for me, is all about 'look at me homies, I can make a car slide innit'. Drifters don't care about lap times or beating a clock. Racers do.

It really annoys me when I hold a slide around a corner and people say 'nice drift'. I WASN'T FECKING DRIFTING!!! I was trying to catch the person ahead/pull out a lead/beat a pb/qualify on pole. Not drift. If I was drifting I would slap lots of stickers on my car the wrong way round and speak in mumbles because I'm too shy and have tonnes of acne...
Quote from wheel4hummer :No, it really isnt. Only the first one is "drifting." The 2nd is just oversteering.

No, it is still drifting. The term drifting was around long before the modern difting sport was.
i dont drift. i ant drift. i probably never will drift. but other people like drifting so y not open up for them a bit. obviously there are more racers than drifters, so we will still gave more race tracks than drift tracks.
Quote from MAGGOT :No, it is still drifting. The term drifting was around long before the modern difting sport was.

The term gay was around long before it was attached to homosexuals. The point being that terms do change. Drifting is no longer the correct term to describe oversteer characteristics whilst racing - slides, slip etc do that. Drifting nowadays (to me) is purely and simply the showing off stylised driving.
Gay still means happy, though. Just people associate it with homosexuality. (Or other random things. For instance "I'll use something other than gay Firefox")

In racing, a 4-wheel drift is still a drift. Just because people use the same word to describe something else doesn't mean it no longer means what it meant previously.
Quote :gay Firefox

a fire fox, that should be a fox on fire. if a fox is on fire why would it be gay? hmm

*goes to open a can of spam*
@MAGGOT and others:
Attached images
SPLIT.jpg
Quote from tristancliffe :There is just a terminology barrier.

I never ever ever drift whilst racing. I might get a bit of a slide (or a big slide), and I might vary my slip angle depending on circumstance, but I'll never drift. Drifting, for me, is all about 'look at me homies, I can make a car slide innit'. Drifters don't care about lap times or beating a clock. Racers do.

It really annoys me when I hold a slide around a corner and people say 'nice drift'. I WASN'T FECKING DRIFTING!!! I was trying to catch the person ahead/pull out a lead/beat a pb/qualify on pole. Not drift. If I was drifting I would slap lots of stickers on my car the wrong way round and speak in mumbles because I'm too shy and have tonnes of acne...

I was wondering when Mr.Knowitall would chime in with something absolutely ridiculous and stereotypical as usual. <3 Now that I think about it, its not even stereotypical. Its just stupid and ignorant.

Who cares who drifts, who doesnt, what drifting is, what it isnt. Mountian circuts are wanted. THAT IS ALL.
Quote from m374llic4 :This is just turning in to a "my dick is bigger then yours" thread about peoples supposed knowledge on history and racing.

Lock thread.

wtf lol the thread was getting interesting than you come in and make very strange post.
Feel the love.

Drift Tracks needed!!
(177 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG