The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Flotch :Would it be possible that for external views we do not get those black mirrors ? Something slightly bright would certainly be better looking if implementing the real reflection is not easy.

Using the already computed car reflection for the mirrors when on external view can do the trick easily Wink
Setting the mirrors of the car to use a simple shader that reflects the reflection map is indeed easy, especially considering it's a mirror and not a surface, so no lighting stuff is required.
Note that a lot of stuff is easy to do, but I never said it doesn't take time. And also note that I'm aware that Scawen got his priorities and certainly wants to do a lot of thing before doing small additions like that.
The real problem with that idea is it would usually reflect the sky, but in reality you would not often see the sky if you look at a mirror from outside the car. For example if you looked into the mirror from behind a saloon car, you should really see the driver's eyes as seen from the mirror's location, through the car's side window. From a wider angle you would just see another part of the car's window. So it seems to me the car's environment map would not really give reasonable results.
Great update,is so much fun now and looks so much real, thank you .Scawen i have problems in XRT like people show here with other cars. in car view i move mirror to left side and mirror are focus in left windows because have some rotation for the seat position, so i think we need some "mirror rotation" in real mirror and "mirror movement" (left/right-up/down) in digital mirror to be more usefull(especially for drift).other issue happen when i open my LFS,i have to turn off/on again real or digital mirror (in diferent views)everytime i open LFS,for some reason LFS dont save my last mirror settings. sometimes i open my LFS without have to configure again , but is 1% in 99% fail.

cheers
Attached images
lfs_00000010.jpg
lfs_00000011.jpg
lfs_00000012.jpg
lfs_00000013.jpg
Here are the fixes for the driver steering animation leg movements and the missing raceabout passenger frames.

[ EDIT : Attachment removed as Test Patch P4 is now available with fixes ]
Everything is fine here now Wink!
Mirrors are now adjustable in Test Patch P4! https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/89703

Changes from 0.6P3 to 0.6P4 :

Mirrors :

Mirror adjustment is now possible (in View Options)

Fixes :

Raceabout passenger seated positions were missing
Various steering animations included some unwanted leg movement
Internal mirror setting was overwritten by external setting on load
Helmet in mirror no longer moves with view when using a custom view
Click-and-hold to adjust would be good. It took me over a hundred clicks to get the mirror in the XFG with my 76 degrees fov to not be full of the driver's helmet.

Honestly, I prefer the old interior mirror. From a purely practical point of view I could see more of what was going on behind the car. Virtual mirror in another shape it might have been, but it worked for me, a good blend of where a real mirror should be and what it should look like, with a clear view.

Quick question, is mirror FOV independent of overall FOV?
Quote from sinbad :Click-and-hold to adjust would be good. It took me over a hundred clicks to get the mirror in the XFG with my 76 degrees fov to not be full of the driver's helmet.

The right click moves the mirrors in 1 degree steps (10 times the left click). So that should save some clicking!

Quote from sinbad :Quick question, is mirror FOV independent of overall FOV?

Yes, it is independent. It depends on the mirror's width and your position relative to it. The central mirror is flat and the side ones are convex.
Now that the mirrors are adjustable I think they are much superior to the old 2D mirrors.
I like 'em Thumbs up
Quote from Scawen :Yes, it is independent. It depends on the mirror's width and your position relative to it. The central mirror is flat and the side ones are convex.

Ah, that explains a lot - I was about to suggest a different FOV for the central mirror in particular.

IRL all car mirrors are convex; the wing mirrors moreso than the centre.
In my experience in road cars, the central mirror is generally tuned to more or less show the full view out the rear window*.
Full fat race cars tend to have very wide convex central mirrors to give a bit of a view out the rear side windows as well to account for limited head movement. Probably not such a big deal in LFS.

The current mirrors, especially the centre, seem a bit distracting to me because there's more movement of the world when cornering than I'm used to IRL. It's much more noticeable now there are nearby reference points.

*Corsa C is precisely matched down to the shape, even accounting for stereoscopic vision; Focus Mk.II IIRC is about right for height but slightly narrow; Meriva B is slightly small both ways.
Liking the new features so far.

Although i've got an issue that started in P3. With my G27, the shifter mapping keeps resetting every time i join the track, and it's in some weird config where 1st shifter position is 2nd gear and two of the shifter positions are 4th gear and so on. I try to change this but it keeps going back every time, which gets annoying.
Quote from Degats :IRL all car mirrors are convex; the wing mirrors moreso than the centre.

From my research, the interior mirror fitted to road cars by default is always flat, so that the distance perception is unchanged and you can see a long way behind. In the USA, the driver side exterior mirror must also be flat, though this is not the case in Europe. In the USA, the passenger side mirror (which must be convex because otherwise it is useless) has text on it saying "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". My understanding is this is the only mirror allowed to be convex on a car for the US market.

I agree the shape of the interior mirror is often tailored to suit the shape and size of the rear window.

I have seen the wide angle curved ones that are often fitted in racing cars, but up to now I have avoided the additional work of coding for a convex mirror option for interior mirrors. Instead, we just put some wider flat mirrors in the GTR cars.

Quote from Rascar13 :Although i've got an issue that started in P3. With my G27, the shifter mapping keeps resetting every time i join the track, and it's in some weird config where 1st shifter position is 2nd gear and two of the shifter positions are 4th gear and so on. I try to change this but it keeps going back every time, which gets annoying.

That is strange. I'll plug in the G27 tomorrow and see if it happens to me. Does anyone else have any controller problems?
The new mirrors took a while to get used to, especially the wing mirrors. Having visible bodywork and an accurate representation of what's actually next to you is a massive improvement. Properly useful mirrors at last!

The raised rear wings on the GTRs (and other model tweaks) are nice but I will miss the round mirrors on the MRT! Smile

I would like to see the mirror adjustment values displayed somewhere in the adjustment menu:

Something like:

Vertical: +6.0°
Horizontal: -1.0°
In the polish translation I observed a small grammar issue related to the mirrors. The "left" and "right" text for the mirror adjustment are actually under the same code as the other menu options like fps counter placement, virtual startlights and minimap (3a_smalleft/3a_smalrght in the language file). In the PL translation, those are translated to "po lewej" and "po prawej" (literally "ON THE left" and "ON THE right"), which are correct for those settings, but seems kinda weird when it's related to the mirrors, as the more natural and commonly used translation would be just "lewe" and "prawe" ("left" or "right" literally). I'm not saying this is incorrect, and I'm not also sure if this issue is just in polish translation or in other languages as well, but it just seems a bit weird for me as it is right now, so if mirror adjustment text would be under different code in the language file, it would solve the issue, as it would make it possible to translate it separately. Attatched screenshots for reference.

-----

BTW, about the G27 issue, I've played the entire day today without any problems, both offline and online.
Attached images
tlumaczenielusterek.png
Quote from Rascar13 :Although i've got an issue that started in P3. With my G27, the shifter mapping keeps resetting every time i join the track, and it's in some weird config where 1st shifter position is 2nd gear and two of the shifter positions are 4th gear and so on. I try to change this but it keeps going back every time, which gets annoying.

I've tried the G27 now and it seems to be working as normal.

Ah... I've just thought of one thing that might be causing your problem. The button numbers have been changed (in P2). They did start at zero before but now they start at 1. So that means if you have any scripts (data\scripts) that use the /axis or /button commands, you need to increase the axis or button numbers.

e.g. /button 8 gear_1 should now be /button 9 gear_1
To Scawen
good afternoon. I play preferably on open wheels and used real a mirror + virtual, now it is impossible to include an option at the same time, either real or virtual, and I got used to virtual + to real mirrors on open wheels, I ask you to add an option of simultaneous inclusion of all mirrors. Thank you very much.
Quote from baartlomiej :In the polish translation I observed a small grammar issue related to the mirrors. The "left" and "right" text for the mirror adjustment are actually under the same code as the other menu options (...)

I can confirm the same for the Czech language. We use different words for the adjective (left mirror) and the adverb (map on the left)
prety obdat Thumbs upSmile

how i can walk enter inside the kar of my?? any know ???? Confused
Quote from Flame CZE :I can confirm the same for the Czech language. We use different words for the adjective (left mirror) and the adverb (map on the left)

Same problem in Slovak language. Same rule. Languages 80+% identical Smile
Quote from Scawen :
Ah... I've just thought of one thing that might be causing your problem. The button numbers have been changed (in P2). They did start at zero before but now they start at 1. So that means if you have any scripts (data\scripts) that use the /axis or /button commands, you need to increase the axis or button numbers.

e.g. /button 8 gear_1 should now be /button 9 gear_1

Thank you, that was it Smile
Quote from mbutcher :

The raised rear wings on the GTRs (and other model tweaks) are nice but I will miss the round mirrors on the MRT! Smile

The mirrors on the MRT don't exist on the real life version, they are fictional. I tried to make the original round mirrors work but to be rear-view effective, they had to be extended away from the chassis by some 25cm. They looked like tea spoons sticking out from the chassis.Smile

So we ended up using a generic racing mirror.
Quote from Eric :The mirrors on the MRT don't exist on the real life version, they are fictional. I tried to make the original round mirrors work but to be rear-view effective, they had to be extended away from the chassis by some 25cm. They looked like tea spoons sticking out from the chassis.Smile

So we ended up using a generic racing mirror.

Why don't remove those altogether and see what people think? It would be interesting to race with other drivers depending only on head movement, IMO
Quote from Ziomek21 :Why don't remove those altogether and see what people think? It would be interesting to race with other drivers depending only on head movement, IMO

I already think it's a bad idea. I suppose it would be ok for those who have VR headsets, but for the rest of us who use buttons for head movement it's not a particularly good idea.
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6P2 (now P9)
(262 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG