The online racing simulator
Ok - I admit - I've made a horrible mistake and as a result many innocent people were hurt. I will no longer distract your slave with questions which - I suspect - would take him at least 73 hours to answer. I'm sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience because of my irresponsible behavior. Hope your burns will heal soon.
I've admitted that I've made a mistake and apologized for it, what else do you want from me? Just let it go.

Good news is that now apparently they've started sending Vives to the press:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88KKpJu5q5I
Not sure why they send them Pre instead of the CV1. I think that confirms they are the same, because why would you send outdated hardware to the press.

Quote from cargame.nl :Now, about this cable and foam thing. Is it still very important?

Rift DK2 had a few cables (two I think) held together with a plastic mesh, they were quite stiff. When you moved around or looked back you could feel it scratch your back, which was uncomfortable and immersion breaking. So I was wondering how is that on the Vive, since you can move around alot more with it - thanks to better tracking.

And I don't think I have to tell you about the importance of the facial interface material. It's what connects the headset with your face. DK2 had 2 layers of foam of different density and it was covered with some soft - nice to touch - material. It was not bad for a devkit. The foam on the Vive looks on the photos like that hard, ichy, scrachy type. And I've asked is it removable because you would probably like to wash it from time to time, with all that sweat and stuff going on.

It seems like little details but combined together they make a big difference in long term use.
Quote from Amynue :I've admitted that I've made a mistake and apologized for it, what else do you want from me? Just let it go.

I don't see any apology at all. I don't even see how you can say that.

I do see some unpleasant, sarcastic posts with strange comments about burns.

On your current course you are heading for a ban.

To be clear, we want people to be able to come to our forum and think it's a sensible place with a good community. Not a place where it seems that bizarre nerds are allowed to hang around writing unpleasant sarcastic comments.
Quote from Amynue :I don't know... .

If you think VR support is a waste of time and it's delaying LFS development, I'm afraid you are wrong. From my perspective VR is what brought Scawen back to active development of LFS. He seems genuinely excited about new possibilities VR brings to the world of simracing. It also an opportunity to make LFS shine again and gain new players.

Uhhhh.... scawen shouldn't have to do a whole lot, if anything to make LFS VR compatable. Like I've said, I don't know the names for half of this stuff, but I do know they make some sort of third party drivers that pretty much allows you to play just about anything using the occulus.
One big drawback - you still look nerdy using them though
Quote from Scawen :I don't see any apology at all. I don't even see how you can say that.

Quote from Amynue :I'm sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience because of my irresponsible behavior.

If that wasn't enough of a apology then I'm sorry. Next time I'll write a poem.

Quote from Scawen :On your current course you are heading for a ban.

Ask about some stupid cables and next thing you know someone gets offended by the question and you are heading for a ban.

Quote from Scawen :bizarre nerd

Thanks for the insult, Scawen.

Ok, I'm serious from now on - no sarcasm.

Let's get back were we were - nice peaceful conversation. No more offensive cable questions. No more ban threats and insults. No sarcastic responses. Just a conversation about HTC Vive - wireless.

If I've caused trouble I'm sorry. I apologize to everyone. I'm a bad person.
Quote from Racer Y :Uhhhh.... scawen shouldn't have to do a whole lot, if anything to make LFS VR compatable. Like I've said, I don't know the names for half of this stuff, but I do know they make some sort of third party drivers that pretty much allows you to play just about anything using the occulus.

I think you are talking about VorpX and it doesn't work with all games, here is the list:
http://www.vorpx.com/supported-games/
Scawen did alot more than just making it work with VR headsets. Menus and replays are displayed on a virtual monitor, HUD is floating in the air... you wouldn't be able to that with VorpX even if it would support LFS.

EDIT: They are definitely sending Vive Pres to the press, here is another Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUThUBrzhbM

EDIT2: HTC claims they took 15000 preorders in first 10 minutes. It's sold out until May.
Haven't actually tried LFS with the goggles. My son thinks it should work without any problems. But he said if it has problems and if the driver thing (VorpX?) isn't compatible he can fool with camera settings in the game. Don't ask me what all that means. AS far as menus and all that goes. I don't know.
We talked a little about it last night. Most of what he describes is over my head.
LFS supports VR headsets natively out of the box, so there's no need for software hacks like VorpX.
It's up to HTC/Valve to sort this out by disabling chaperone in seated mode. Too bad the article makes it look like it's a bug in LFS rather than OpenVR SDK. Still, it's good to see LFS beeing mentioned somewhere.

Would be nice to see LFS on Steam or Oculus Store on the launch day, but as far as I know neither is possible. I do know there will be something called "Oculus Concepts" alongside Oculus Store, which will basicaly be what Oculus Share is right now, so maybe LFS will aprear at least there.

Are there any plans to implement any VR related features before the headsets start shipping? Like for example the image in the mirrors changing depending on head possition. I know the chaperone camera binded to a key is on the to-do-list.
Yeah, I don't know why they display a chaperone if the program asks for seated mode. And why it's offset in front and to the left, after setting it up at the actual seated position. Seems buggy to me.

Yes, I am working on VR features. As both Vive and Rift are shipping within a month, this has become the most important thing. Tyre physics can wait another month.

A good VR implementation with all the wrinkles ironed out will help bring in more users and that will be good for everyone. It's not possible to be in Steam, for reasons discussed before, but Valve have kindly supported us by sending Vives and we can be fully up to date with the software. On the Rift side, I have been in touch with Oculus and there is still a possibility of having LFS in the Oculus store. This is ongoing and I won't be able to say any more because if there was any more information, it would be under NDA. You'll just have to leave that to me, I'm working on it.

One requirement is that it must be possible to operate the game with a controller only. For the last two days I have worked on a system that draws a crosshair in the view centre and allows you to click buttons using the space bar. Obviously this "Click" function needs to be assignable to a controller button. At first I thought this task would be a few hours but the complexity is quite surprising. Various adaptations and improvements have become necessary. I think the only other buttons that are needed are "Escape" and "Show Virtual Keyboard". These will soon be available in a compatible test patch.
"Yes, I am working on VR features. As both Vive and Rift are shipping within a month, this has become the most important thing. Tyre physics can wait another month."
======
What? You said THAT? YOU? You and them damned tire physics? Nah. Say it isn't so.....

This is ongoing and I won't be able to say any more because if there was any more information, it would be under NDA. You'll just have to leave that to me, I'm working on it.
+++++
NDAs can sorta suck. I can't go into half of what my son does because of them.
That sucks too. Get a kid that does something cool and you can't brag on them.

If you want to do something cool with the occulus in mind Scawen, you should try to design a track that takes advantage of the "dizziness" factor from wearing those goggles.
A race game really looks good and performs pretty good with them. But I noticed it lacked the illusion of G forces. Going around corners was about the same as it is going around corners using a conventional monitor set-up. Where as on a roller coaster simulator, it didn't just look all 3d, it kind of felt that way too.
Quote from Scawen :One requirement is that it must be possible to operate the game with a controller only. For the last two days I have worked on a system that draws a crosshair in the view centre and allows you to click buttons using the space bar. Obviously this "Click" function needs to be assignable to a controller button. At first I thought this task would be a few hours but the complexity is quite surprising. Various adaptations and improvements have become necessary. I think the only other buttons that are needed are "Escape" and "Show Virtual Keyboard". These will soon be available in a compatible test patch.

Thank you! Thumbs up
Quote from Scawen :Yeah, I don't know why they display a chaperone if the program asks for seated mode. And why it's offset in front and to the left, after setting it up at the actual seated position. Seems buggy to me.

I remember that in the past you were using the Vive DK1 with one basestation because the second one was faulty. So right know are you using one or two basestations? Maybe it's not optimized for one-basestation-setup. All the videos I've seen of people using the Vive had always two basestations. Before you said you are using it with one, I thought that wouldn't even work.
I was also wondering - does the basestations automaticaly turn on and off when you are using the headset or do you have to turn them on and off manualy?

Quote from Scawen :Tyre physics can wait another month.

I'm pretty sure some people will have a different opinion on that, they should be there shortly...

Quote from Scawen :On the Rift side, I have been in touch with Oculus and there is still a possibility of having LFS in the Oculus store. This is ongoing and I won't be able to say any more because if there was any more information, it would be under NDA.

That would be great. On the launch day thousands of people will get their Rifts and once they are done playing with the bundled games they will go to the Oculus store to search for something new and there will be like 100 games at most (my guess), so there is a very high chance that they'll run into LFS. Free demo is very inviting.

I was expecting that you will be under NDA since I can't see any developer talking much about their Rift CV1 or Touch devkits beyond the fact that they have it. So... just nod your head if you are getting the Rift CV1 and SDK 1.0 before the launch.

Quote from Scawen :One requirement is that it must be possible to operate the game with a controller only. For the last two days I have worked on a system that draws a crosshair in the view centre and allows you to click buttons using the space bar. Obviously this "Click" function needs to be assignable to a controller button.

Even if they wouldn't require that, I think it still would be worth implementing. It's hard to locate and operate your mouse and keyboard with the headset on.

Are you going to do anything with the Oculus Audi SDK in the future? I think that good postional audio is very important in VR and it's a big immersion multiplier.
Quote from Amynue :
I was also wondering - does the basestations automaticaly turn on and off when you are using the headset or do you have to turn them on and off manualy?

According to the computerbase review they are always on and you need to turn them off by either unplugging or by using a power strip with a switch. They use 5w per station no matter what, the vive goggle itself is pulling 3.5w in standby and about 12w running.
Quote from troy :According to the computerbase review they are always on and you need to turn them off by either unplugging or by using a power strip with a switch.

That sucks.
The more I read about the Vive, the more I think they rushed it out a bit. As if they skipped that development stage where they make it more user friendly and easy to use.
Maybe it isn't much, but still a waste of energy. It's not something like a refrigerator which HAVE TO BE running 24h/d, you only need them on while you play. Let's not forget that despite they are quieter than on the DK1, they still make noise and you probably wouldn't want to hear that noise all day long when there is no reason for them to be running.

Both the headset and the basestations have some sort of wireless communication module. HMD uses it to communicate with the controllers (and phone?) and basestations use it to sync with eachother. Couldn't they make it so that when you turn your headset on, it sends a signal to basestations to turn on and when you turn it off they go into standby mode.

Say what you want, but for me it's a bad design, expecialy in a product that costs 899 Euro.
I don't know if I'll ever own a vr unit, but, as if anyone cares what I think, it's good for LFS to be connected with this.
Quote from Amynue :Video showing Vive's passthrough camera in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnciEkUDnhs

I'm impressed!

But I'm afraid it just looks impressive seeing someone else's video wearing it...

Oculus Rift for example, I saw people on youtube wearing it and complementing nonstop, I thought it would be something from another world, something incredible...

So I went and tested the DK2 from one friend, thank god I tested before buying...

I tried it on LFS and AC, and I just couldn't feel anything close to those people on youtube, specially because I was able to count each pixel...

After that the only conclusion I came was that those people were acting, and now I just can't believe on any of this "VR magic" when someone is having uber fun wearing it...
Quote from Specht77 :...
I tried it on LFS and AC, and I just couldn't feel anything close to those people on youtube, specially because I was able to count each pixel...

After that the only conclusion I came was that those people were acting, and now I just can't believe on any of this "VR magic" when someone is having uber fun wearing it...

Maybe not everybody is as sensitive to low resolution as you are? You value resolution over true 3D visuals and head tracking but maybe others can overlook this issue easier. And don't forget that the consumer versions will have slightly higher resolution than the DK2.

HTC Vive - VR headset form HTC and Valve - what do you think Scawen?
(328 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG