The online racing simulator
Revolution Pack's Blog
(96 posts, started )
I think there is no possibility to set a proper fresnel effect with the old spherical projection, though your reflection look very fine but it reflect too much at every point of view without any respect to the sun/specular position, but its the system limitation so we can't do much about that. Shrug

On the other hand we have the new reflection system, I am not sure if it has the same spherical projection but only with sky and some high objects and fresnel effect, I dont know why scawen keep with this type of projection because it make the fresnel useless with the black thing around the edge of the car, plus no near the horizon object reflected which is sad but understandable since scawen said he won't do more because of game performance .

Maybe nacim can take a look at the shaders code and see if there is a possibility to make it into somthing near horizontal projection, like someone did with the old reflection shader.Smile
Keiichi_Tsuchiya did Smile
As I know he's working on a new game with his friends so I guess he has no time for LFS.
No no, it's more than just a time issue. There are some technical problems that made his technique not really doable correctly, because the car's reflection is going full retard when the car is flipped over for example. Big grin

About the current shader, Scawen had to it before official patch but I guess that Rockingham release made him get his priorities straight. LFS Graphic Override developer has gone faster than us and already fixed the distortion of the reflection.

I'm already trying to do some experiments on the shaders, but work and school gives me not that much time to work on it, plus I'm not really used to see such "messy" shaders (I got mines all clean and in separate shaders for all different types of surface, when there is only one for every world objects on LFS). But when I'll get the logic of it, it will be okay I guess. Big grin

EDIT: About the bottom reflection, with Keiichi's idea, it would have been possible to fake it somehow by using the old reflection texture and applying on the bottom of the car, but since the old texture is no longer passed to the shader, we can't do it, so we're a bit stuck on two choice, try to ignore it while Scawen decides to work on it, or wait for good graphic override extensions to override the current system while a solution is developed by Scawen.
Hi there!
Quote from Lynce :@Lfsrm. Thank you!

Difference between new reflection system in real time by Scawen and texture reflections made in 2010....

This confuse me too much, really. There is two opposite points of view.

Well, I back to the work.

Scawen said that facing reflectivity of car paint is about 4%, and with all honest he set the reflection value to 0.04, but he probably didn't knew that it's a linear value.
Since LFS rendering pipeline is not in linear color space, this value is wrong. Corrected value for sRGB color space is 0.23.

I have already mentioned about importance of linear color space in one of my posts: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86111
Quote from Keiichi_Tsuchiya :
All calculations that occur in a shader is already happening with the modified gamma correction. From the physical point of view it is not right, and it can be seen in many games where the light unrealistically is too bright or too dark in different situations.

(upd: Tested out switching lfs rendering to linear, and my assumptions were confirmed. More here: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1899014#post1899014 )

And now, when Scawen trying to use values from real physical world, things like this happens.

So, here is quick fix for that: Open the shader file "Car2.psh", find the lines:

#ifdef ALPHA
const float facing_reflectivity = 0.08f; // reflectivity of glass (parallel to normal)
#else
const float facing_reflectivity = 0.04f; // reflectivity of paint (parallel to normal)
#endif

and change it to:

#ifdef ALPHA
const float facing_reflectivity = 0.317f; // reflectivity of glass (parallel to normal)
#else
const float facing_reflectivity = 0.231f; // reflectivity of paint (parallel to normal)
#endif

UPD:
Quote from nacim :There are some technical problems that made his technique not really doable correctly, because the car's reflection is going full retard when the car is flipped over for example.

I already fixed this issue, and only things been left to do is generate new corrected reflection textures for all tracks and conditions.
I counted how much time i need to do that, and it's about 3-4 days like full time job. It was too much for me.
Anyway, it's doesn't matter anymore, because of new real-time reflection system. I can't even access old reflection textures through shader. It's not used anymore. So we need to figure out a workaround for this.
Attached images
lfs_00000009.jpg
lfs_00000010.jpg
It looks better in a way, but probably due to the fact that the environment map is not created from the full sphere, it still looks odd - now the "wrong" distortion stands out even more. It would probably look natural with a full sphere map.

Interesting point, though.

Edit: also in some cases it looks too bright.
Attached images
reflections.jpg
Quote from Flame CZE :
Edit: also in some cases it looks too bright.

Yes, it is.

The surface should not reflect more light than was received.
This rule is simple: More reflection lighting - less diffuse lighting, and conversely.

Because of fresnel effect, reflection on the edges comes to 100%, and base color with diffuse lighting should be compensated. This is not happening in the shader, but it should be.

UPD: I checked out shader more closely, and found that diffuse compensation already there. So, this is not the cause of this issue.
Wow!! A very interesting conversation!!

In this case I can't talk about shaders because I'm not a programmer.

In my case I have worked on the texture reflection. Just textures or images.

As people know, first I make an exhaustive documentation to start of the development and that is the secret of the standard of my work. Remember that the Revolution Pack June 24 th are just textures.

I will explain briefly some cases and why the scawens textures does not convince me at all. Although are two completely different things and has his respective limits.

I want to made a clarification that I don't have the totally truth and I'm not better than anyone. Even all this explanation and the respective pics is based on the observation alot of hours in all conditions of light and situations(city, field and stations) of the real life.

The important objects of the tracks, are just in the exact position inside the texture and only is valid in one place. Example, Box building:

But in another point of the track and in the same position than the build before mentioned, is not valid:

Normally, when the sun is under the cloud there are more dispersion of the light on the bodywork as I made in this case. In this case the Sky is reflected in all the track in real time because the sky can be seen in all the track.. Same with the landscapes.

In the case of the Fern Bay (Clear Day) Tropic position. The sun is the point of the more light. So the scenery cannot be reflected on the bodywork. Except on the oblique angle on the dark part of the car. In this case is not possible due the reflections system of the LFS.

On the sunset, the light of the sun can be diffuse or in one point. In any case the clear buildings can be reflected on the dark zone of the bodywork. Remember, the car reflects the light and this case the light bounces from this buildings.

The leadership in this case is for the sun. As this case in the sunset. Is more shining than the buildings in the part where it is.

In conclusion, in the bright zone of the bodywork, only the sun is reflected.

As you say, the bodywork cannot by reflect more light than is received such this case. But in the city, in any condition of the day, there are a lot of contrast of colours. So the car can be reflect anything in the same intensity that its received. Depends of the angle and the colour of the car, of course. In this case the car is Black so is more easy this paragraph.

Another example. When the day is more clear, the bodywork reflects with more intensity the clear colours. In this case the example is a cloud.

At last, when the sunset is the last time of the day, on the opposite side of the sun, the car cannot reflect anything important (there are exceptions, obviously as I have explained some pics ago).

Finally, in the same case the bodywork just reflect the point of light in the side of the sun or the position that the sun can by reflected. All the scenery are secondary and can be more darker on the bodywork than it can see the human eye directly in real life.

Thanks to all for your comments. This is my conclusion in 2010 when I worked on this texture reflections. I remember that the documentation was exhaustive and every days I was watching cars on the street, on photos and videos (top gear,etc).
Nice documentation, it will inspire me for my future works, thanks Smile
Damn I totally forgot about this. Bloody nice work !!.
Quote from nacim :Nice documentation, it will inspire me for my future works, thanks Smile

Thanks but, the information is very simple. In 2010 I could talk with more details about how it works the light the light on the bodywork in almost all the spectre of the day and how it works with the basis colours of the cars(blue, red, white, grey and black). The documentation was more exhaustive than the Fern Bay's textures, sure.

Anyway, as I say always with all options and works, everything depends of the point of view. I never will have the absolute truth.

Thanks, niels.

Again, sorry for the delay. I had a lot of compromises, so the next week I can back to the work again. Sorry for this inconvenience. The tyre texture will be released because it is finished and I will upload on dropbox. The sidewalls is under 20%. The concept of the site has completed to start of the design and the faccilities of the navigation. The first work I'll upload, will be Fern Bay textures in 4096x4096 exclusivelly.
Impressive work !
Thats some dope work right here. I can't wait to try out the tires textures you are making Lynce, thanks for sharing!
Hey there! How's the tyre stuff going? Any progress? Smile
I am using the skies.dds files from RP 2010, but the reflections only depend on what is written in the car2.psh file. Is there a way to use reflections from Lynce RP 2010 with patch 0.6K ?
I have a serious trouble to have a better concentration so I'm making the revision of the oldest works to upload them again. You can see all the progession here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmorrigan/
Nice, high resolution default skin with baked ambient occlusion is an excellent idea ! Smile

Can you make them use a linear color space by the way, so that we have more realistic color for LFS without having to use pow() function in shaders (they are quite taxing on GPU) Wink

Keep it up my friend Thumbs up
Really nice, I'm now waiting to see that for all other cars Big grin

Keep it up my friend Smile
About questions of the tyres:
By medical reasons I have a serious troubles to have a better concentration. So I want to make a very professional works to keep the standard on them and I can't for the moment.

So I'm working on my old works where no need a lot of work and concentration.

About my gender I'm a woman because I'm trasganeder (this is because in oldest crdits appears Javier, instead Sophia).

Me today:

P.D. This is just because I'm tired of explain this situation.
Sophia, much respect is due Smile

Congrats on the transition, I know someone who has started on this journey and how hard and long the journey can be whether physically or socially.

Go get yourself all sorted out with your health issues and in the right head space as I'm sure that LFS will still be about once you are ready and you will find there will be plenty of fans awaiting your latest updates! Smile

I am a big fan of your work as you show an amazing eye for detail with everything you do so I'll also be waiting for updates but only once you are ready Smile
Much appreciated, Chunking.

Thank you.
Most recent: Last week on theater.

Ok, on topic:

I'm finishing the new version of the Default Skin for the FZ50 and this cars needs an improvement of the interior because the back does not convince me due the cut line of the rear seats. The leather of gear box and seat are my best work so far about the interior of one car. Needs improvement of the head lights, also.

Revolution Pack's Blog
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG