The online racing simulator
#77 - och
Can someone explain the sleep settings to me? There is a new setting "Sleep every frame" - should it be set to yes or no?

I set frame limiter to 60fps (with vsync off) because my screen refreshes at 60hz and I hate any sort of tearing. In previous versions I had vsync turned on.

Very good performance updates by the way. I'm running LFS at 3840x2160 with forced 2x2 suspersampling, and it look gorgeous and I'm actually getting steady 60fps now - everywhere with full grid. Before the frames used to dip below 60 at certain places with forced supersampling.
Quote from edge3147 :
Quote from englishlord :a jerky 30-40fps

So do you think when you go see a movie at a theater the movie is "jerky" because standard cinema frame rate is still 24 FPS

my head aches every time there is a pan. note that they avoid pans because the frame rate makes it so jerky
In the options I choose not to limit the fps and have vsync turned off.

I noticed that when my car is standing in the pitbox the fps get limited to 1000 fps on some tracks, but as soon as I turn my car towards the track the frames get limited to 500. Its also a stable framerate, it doesn't get below or above 500. It is the same with 1000 fps in the pitlane, as soon as I drive back to the pits the limiter jumps back to 1000. Doesn't get above or below it.
I am not sure whats the reason for this just found it funny.

On the other hand I would like to know how I can have unlimited fps with the oculus rift. In the current version my fps are always limited to 75 and all the options under 'misc' are greyed out.
In the old version the fps were unlimited and fluctuated all the time which was useful when streaming or recording so you could see how much buffer you got left when setting the bitrate or using addons like sweetfx.

There is also another minor thing I would like to mention, this is only specific to the rift and not introduced by the new lfs version or the new oculus runtime.

From time to time I get some minor jumps. It's kinda hard to see, but it only happens when going through elevation changes and really tight turns.
http://gfycat.com/HappyPracticalKomododragon

On the top of the hill the camera slightly jumps which can be distracting, this also happens sometimes when going through a trough. Overall it happens maybe once every 10 minutes.

A similar thing occurs less frequently but more drastic. The camera abruptly changes and I can't see the road anymore.
http://gfycat.com/AchingSpanishDeviltasmanian

These things are pretty minor and can get fixed with the rift reset pretty easily, but today I was in a race and someone bumped me slightly into the rear end. My camera jumped instantly into something which kind of resembled the chase mode camera in LFS. It also was fixed easily with the rift reset, but I wasn't prepared for that, got disorientated and lost some positions in the process.
I don't know if these things are under control of LFS or due to my Oculus camera setup or because the oculus rift is still a prototype. I don't play other games with the rift so I can not tell if this only happens in LFS.
I can only hope that this work was done to enable significant graphical improvements in the future. Otherwise it seems a little pointless to spend time doubling the frame rate of a piece of software that ran fine on computers we threw away nearly a decade ago.

In this thread: People who don't realise there is very little point having a frame rate higher that the refresh rate on their display device.
I just tried offline at westhill. Without changing settings and without removing the frame cap. I have no frame drop. I am stuck at 100fps exactly as I want to. No more drop to 60 or so. I am still amazed on how stable is LFS.
Thumbs up
I dont recommend Scawen to play any blockbuster, you would be so frustrated!
Quote from colcob :I can only hope that this work was done to enable significant graphical improvements in the future. Otherwise it seems a little pointless to spend time doubling the frame rate of a piece of software that ran fine on computers we threw away nearly a decade ago.

In this thread: People who don't realise there is very little point having a frame rate higher that the refresh rate on their display device.

I think it's more to optimize Westhill to run on a suitable size of the player bases' computers, as I would expect Westhill to be indicative of the detail level for the "next gen" of LFS tracks.
Quote from colcob : that ran fine on computers we threw away nearly a decade ago.

Sad that so many people have no understanding that LFS used only one thread, which is 12% on an i7 which isn't a decade ago. It's now.

Can't understand why people are angry because of an update anyway. Spoiled Playstation generation nowadays? Or is it to complain just to have something to complain. There is an update, updates are good, period
I've been updating the vertex shaders for the track drawing system, so now they are in HLSL. At last I've been able to delete the old DX8 assembly language shaders. I'll be able to add some new texturing features for Eric to use in the editor. So far I have not added new features, but improvements and simplifications in the car shadow code and shaders have resulted in improved frame rate, specially when many cars are close together. Important on the grid or at Turn One.

That'll be fun to release and see a few people getting annoyed that we improved the frame rate again! Big grin

It's very important to improve the efficiency of the drawing system. For a start, many people did have problems at Westhill and can now enjoy it a lot more. I want to add dynamic reflections on the cars because it looks nice when the car is near high objects, trees, buildings, under bridges and so on. This depends on drawing an reflected image of the world as seen from each car. Clearly this will give the CPU and GPU more work to do, so it needs to be as efficient as possible.
Thanks for the progress report ! Keep it up ! Smile

Quote from Scawen :That'll be fun to release and see a few people getting annoyed that we improved the frame rate again! Big grin

This made me laugh way more than I should. Big grin
Quote from Mondbrot :In the options I choose not to limit the fps and have vsync turned off.

I noticed that when my car is standing in the pitbox the fps get limited to 1000 fps on some tracks, but as soon as I turn my car towards the track the frames get limited to 500. Its also a stable framerate, it doesn't get below or above 500. It is the same with 1000 fps in the pitlane, as soon as I drive back to the pits the limiter jumps back to 1000. Doesn't get above or below it.
I am not sure whats the reason for this just found it funny.

Do you have "Sleep every frame" enabled? That can cause that effect. And it can also happen if there is any waiting for the GPU (indicated by light red horizontal bars on the live timing graph in Misc Options).

Sleep is used in both of those cases and can lead to stable frame rates, although that is unintentional.

Quote from Mondbrot :On the other hand I would like to know how I can have unlimited fps with the oculus rift. In the current version my fps are always limited to 75 and all the options under 'misc' are greyed out.
In the old version the fps were unlimited and fluctuated all the time which was useful when streaming or recording so you could see how much buffer you got left when setting the bitrate or using addons like sweetfx.

Unlimited frame rate is no longer possible on the Rift, since the 0.6 runtime. The SDK and runtime enforces the 75 Hz frame rate, synced with the Rift screen.

You can use the timing graph visible in Misc Options and Graphics options to see how much buffer you have left. The red horizontal lines in the "Wait" column show the milliseconds while LFS is waiting for the Rift. You can use up that time. When there is no wait at all, then you will start getting stutters.
Yep, always good to know there are progress on-going Wink
Quote from Scawen :I've been updating...

Will the new changes give shadows to layout objects or is this totally different area? With the new concrete objects layout building opportunities have hugely increased,but everything looks weird and buildings from objects have still normal lighting inside (like inside garages or under bridges etc),kinda unrealistic feel...
No, this current update does not give shadows to layout objects. I agree the concrete objects look strange and unrealistic without shadows. It's tempting to dive right into a totally new shadow system that gives shadows to all objects in the world. That is something I want to do.

But I can do that at any time. Right now, Eric needs some new multiple texture blending features and it's important to give them to him with the highest priority, so he can complete a track we plan to include as S3 content. I was just surprised to find such a frame rate increase, right now with the current shadow system converted to HLSL and brushed up a bit.
Hi Scawen Smile

Why not add speed cutting up to this time? Are not you supposed to be in the simulator game? I've been playing since 2003 and 2015 rpm cutter still no decision today I would like to be added subject to editing and cutting of the first cycle

Sorry translate , thanks

Rev limiter I want to be added
Quote from Scawen :That is something I want to do.

And that's definitely something that I want to see. Smile

I agree that a rev limiter can be a nice addition (not a high priority tho), because hard locking to the red line is really unrealistic.
thanks for the news Scawen!

Looking forward to the new reflection system! Big grin and it's better if you can make them advanced enough to simulate fresnel effect, diffuse, specular, blurriness etc.... is not easy task, but it will give the lfs cars a even nicer look. Smile

As for the tracks shaders, improving shadows rendering, making a normal map system and multi layering textures will be enough to make the track look awesome for a start! Petals

Yes I can't help my self! as a 3d amateur artiste I'm quite happy with every little graphical improvement!
[off Topic Mode]
Quote from Scawen :...so he can complete a track we plan to include as S3 content...

95% done so ...
screenshots FTW
[/off Topic Mode]
Works better than ever on my dad's "hand me down" PC with Oculus DK2. Not a hitch, motion sickness for him erradicated now. He doesn't have to close his eyes in a spin anymore. Brilliant that I can see what he sees now too.

He's improved so much over the last year. Watching him last night on South City classic in an LX6, I'm confident to let him try my RX-7 next track day. He's not the fastest, but he knows how to recover when things go wrong, and that's all you need to have fun.

Looking forward to future updates, and to future LFS+VR stuff.
#96 - Vain
Quote from Scawen :...so he can complete a track we plan to include as S3 content.

You basically just derailed your own thread. Smile

In all seriousness - I love hearing about progress. Much appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Vain
Yeah fantastic to hear about progress & loose plans. Thank you. Also, I haven't tried lfs on dk2 with new 0.7 runtime but will asap. Always wanted the mirroring. Does is work on windows 10 okay chaps?
LFS works fine on win 10 Smile
When Scirocco?

New high performance update - 0.6J
(109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG