The online racing simulator
South City Chikane (alone)

Before update 290 Frames, after update 500 Frames!

This is fu.... UNBELIEVABLE! I am searching for words Schwitz

You are a GENIUS.....
tnx for lfs new
Thumbs up
Quote from Racer X NZ :
Quote from edge3147 :@Bigbob1993, If you can't exceed 100 FPS on LFS you need new hardware.

Rubbish, we all know that humans cannot see more than 30 FPS, "To find out more about why 30fps is sometimes the best option, check out our dedicated article that addresses the topic directly - do higher frame-rates always mean better gameplay?."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-case-for-30fps-pc-gaming

EDIT: I'll reply the below here....

Well, the article is good, but your statement is direct contradict to the article. Humans can see vay above 30 FPS easily. They way human eye perceives different frefresh rates changes varies. But everyone can notice the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS quite easily. Heres some more reading for you on this matter.

http://accidentalscientist.com/2014/12/why-movies-look-weird-at-48fps-and-games-are-better-at-60fps-and-the-uncanny-valley.html

And in case of car simulations, FPS above ~41 can realy help the gameplay.
Quote from askoff :
Quote from Racer X NZ :
Quote from edge3147 :@Bigbob1993, If you can't exceed 100 FPS on LFS you need new hardware.

Rubbish, we all know that humans cannot see more than 30 FPS, "To find out more about why 30fps is sometimes the best option, check out our dedicated article that addresses the topic directly - do higher frame-rates always mean better gameplay?."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-case-for-30fps-pc-gaming

EDIT: I'll reply the below here....

Well, the article is good, but your statement is direct contradict to the article. Humans can see vay above 30 FPS easily. They way human eye perceives different frefresh rates changes varies. But everyone can notice the difference between 30 FPS and 60 FPS quite easily. Heres some more reading for you on this matter.

http://accidentalscientist.com/2014/12/why-movies-look-weird-at-48fps-and-games-are-better-at-60fps-and-the-uncanny-valley.html

And in case of car simulations, FPS above ~41 can realy help the gameplay.

I can see and feel the difference between 290 and 500 frames. Its smoother now!
"I can see and feel the difference between 290 and 500 frames. Its smoother now!"

whoa, mind tricks in play... Big grin The only difference between 290 and 500 frames is like max ~1-2ms in input lag? Otherwise you get the same 100 different frames, with another 190-400 of their copies in between those which differ. And the screen tearing may happen like 1/10 of screen "sooner" (higher on the screen). Or am I missing something...
Maybe he has a 500Hz screen and a set of supernatural eyes?
Maybe its only Placebo, but i test Lfs before update and after, and its little bit smoother.
Quote from Ped7g :"I can see and feel the difference between 290 and 500 frames. Its smoother now!"

whoa, mind tricks in play... Big grin The only difference between 290 and 500 frames is like max ~1-2ms in input lag? Otherwise you get the same 100 different frames, with another 190-400 of their copies in between those which differ. And the screen tearing may happen like 1/10 of screen "sooner" (higher on the screen). Or am I missing something...

there is no difference between 290 and 500 frames if you dont have monitor from NASA worth 5864537248€ Big grin 144Hz(means 144FPS) is the maximum achieved commercialy.
Quote from Bigbob1993 :
Quote from Ped7g :"I can see and feel the difference between 290 and 500 frames. Its smoother now!"

there is no difference between 290 and 500 frames if you dont have monitor from NASA worth 5864537248€ Big grin 144Hz(means 144FPS) is the maximum achieved commercialy.

Maybe youre right guys, i also test with a full field of AI before and after. Only thing i can say it feels all around smoother (~80 to ~150 frames Wink )

I change very quick from single play to full field ( because of 500frames fixed)
Quote from Bose321 :Maybe he has a 500Hz screen and a set of supernatural eyes?

No, not with LFS, because only 100 screens per second are different (physics+world updates are working at 100Hz in LFS). The rest of 400 screens (to do 500 FPS) will be identical to one of those 100 frames.

So above 100 FPS you are just maybe getting lower input latency. And the improvement is under 10ms at most, more likely around 2-5ms. Which is probably easily adjusted by brain anyway, by forecasting, so it shouldn't matter.

What matters a lot is the variation.. if you had 80-150FPS before, with occasional drops to 40-60 for single frame, then new version may feel better, if it now works in stable 100+ with for example single drop to "80".

Theoretically 100Hz video mode would lead to most smooth LFS experience, practically it may still stutter a bit due to vsync vs physics timer not going in absolute sync together. Or 144Hz mode + vsync only, so some of those 100 (different) frames get postponed only by 7ms at most... should be hardly noticeable (unless you have perfect 100Hz running next to it for direct comparison).

Or Oculus Rift, where I believe (not sure about it) the position tracking is working every frame, so you have only 100Hz physics, but the camera(head) movement is tracked at current fps. The the lcd in DK2 has only 70 or 75Hz, so I'm not sure if it's enforcing vsync, or tearing (I don't own DK2, so I have no exact idea, how it works).
80Fps before 150fps after the update in a full field.
120hz Monitor.

(But sorry, i dont understand the theme not really with my bad english Wink )
TL;DR: The new physics give a great improvement to framerate.

The joke is the fact that movies/ PS#, XBox only play 30 FPS (Yes, movies/TV are really different but I don't care in 'THIS' conversation)

Here is Wikipedia on the subject: "The human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can process 10 to 12 separate images per second, perceiving them individually.[1] The threshold of human visual perception varies depending on what is being measured. When looking at a lighted display, people begin to notice a brief interruption of darkness if it is about 16 milliseconds or longer.[2] Observers can recall one specific image in an unbroken series of different images, each of which lasts as little as 13 milliseconds.[3] When given very short single-millisecond visual stimulus people report a duration of between 100 ms and 400 ms due to persistence of vision in the visual cortex. This may cause images perceived in this duration to appear as one stimulus, such as a 10 ms green flash of light immediately followed by a 10 ms red flash of light perceived as a single yellow flash of light.[4] Persistence of vision may also create an illusion of continuity, allowing a sequence of still images to give the impression of motion."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

Grats for this update Scawen. I've always complained having so much fps drop when too many cars were in the screen.

It's a great improvement.

Thanks.
Oh the irony...

My crappy laptop got broken and now we get this...

Excellent, now I need an update where I get a new gaming rig for LFS ( and other random stuff )

hmmmmmm...

I remember when my fps was 1,7 - 19... In some cases it was 55-60, depending how high you were driving ( with my layouts, the Z-factor amount was pretty much, not much needed to render track itself )

Hello!
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Oh the irony...

Excellent, now I need an update where I get a new gaming rig for LFS ( and other random stuff )

hmmmmmm...

I remember when my fps was 1,7 - 19... In some cases it was 55-60, depending how high you were driving ( with my layouts, the Z-factor amount was pretty much, not much needed to render track itself )

Hello!

u sure ????

hello!
Eehhh lets put this one here..

Quote :Naam van toepassing met fout: LFS.exe, versie: 0.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x55cde8b1
Naam van module met fout: LFS.exe, versie: 0.0.0.0, tijdstempel: 0x55cde8b1
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
Foutoffset: 0x0012098a
Id van proces met fout: 0x15dc
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01d0d99360ef2320
Pad naar toepassing met fout: F:\LFS\LFS.exe
Pad naar module met fout: F:\LFS\LFS.exe
Rapport-id: d25e4a80-48b2-11e5-943f-1c4bd60fd454

No idea what this is, what happened or anything. As this is the laptop for streaming. Looks like it simply crashed after hours of sitting in the multiplayer join screen.
That crash seems to be in the ogg player code.

I don't know if the bug is really in the ogg player code itself, or if LFS caused a crash by supplying faulty data to the ogg functions. Though strangely in all these years I have not heard of this happening...

But either way, it is probably because LFS switched on the entry screen music in the recent patch. You'd better switch that off then this crash should be impossible.
Quote from Scawen :That crash seems to be in the ogg player code.

I don't know if the bug is really in the ogg player code itself, or if LFS caused a crash by supplying faulty data to the ogg functions. Though strangely in all these years I have not heard of this happening...

But either way, it is probably because LFS switched on the entry screen music in the recent patch. You'd better switch that off then this crash should be impossible.

who build lfs musik ??? i like, very good!!!

is it dj or no? erik ?
or maybe is viktar??

sorry if off tobicBig grin
Quote from Scawen :That crash seems to be in the ogg player code ... switch that off then this crash should be impossible.

Thanks for this clarification. Maybe I test it on another machine if I am really bored to see if it crashes after some hours of looping that audio.
Quote from wildstyle :
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :Oh the irony...

hmmmmmm...

Hello!

u sure ????

hello!

I learned something three days ago in nightclub...

Never be sure, just act you don't know, even if you knew it!

EDIT: This is already off topic and spam, let's find it later elsewhere okay? I can give you some good tips about how to drive a car off with eyes closed off by meaningless bravery of hard-hitting weak brick wall made by random workmen with no payoff.
Quote from cargame.nl :
Quote from Scawen :That crash seems to be in the ogg player code ... switch that off then this crash should be impossible.

Thanks for this clarification. Maybe I test it on another machine if I am really bored to see if it crashes after some hours of looping that audio.

You could skip through songs to see if it crashs...(no need to play music for hours)
I had some .ogg files once that crashed LFS:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/87847-Some--ogg-files-crash-LFS-when-changing-music

New high performance update - 0.6J
(109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG