The online racing simulator
nice! this patch really helps my computer from the stone age. thank you!

@devs: could you possibly add some info on what the new settings in the options screen do and how to set them for either the highest framerates or for the smoothest and most fluid framerates with the least amout of input lag and timing offset from the physics engine?
there was plenty of info on that in the patch test tread but that is not accessible anymore since the test forum is hidden again.

peace, mo
Quote from edge3147 : then you can afford to buy

Nah.. I don't agree... We not all sit locked on our rooms with some stupid desktop pc with 'cool' lights masturbating with the latest tuning add on installed.. You clearly didn't followed the conversation in the test patch thread but it's nice to read you all going to sponsor us new laptops. Mine was $3000 ... A new Zbook dreamcolor costs $4700 .. Thank you Santa edge3147 Wink
I need new notebook too...
Was hesitating, as I don't like wasting my money on HW (it's usually obsolete in a year or two, I like things which last a bit longer, like a decade at least). But now if edge will sponsor it...

Quote from englishlord :Generally, is it better to have sleep every frame as yes or no? I am not sure what it does.

"No sleep". Unless you have single core CPU, or messed up OS, which keeps choking up (unresponsive during Alt+tab, etc..), then you may try "yes" to give task scheduler some more breath. But this one is probably obsolete thing of distant past. Hopefully.

The much more tricky question is fps limit vs vsync... wouldn't dare to give any general advice there, depends too much on HW and personal preference.
Just a question, shouldn't the first group of options in "Other" be in "Graphics"?
Quote from edge3147 :
Quote from englishlord :a jerky 30-40fps

So do you think when you go see a movie at a theater the movie is "jerky" because standard cinema frame rate is still 24 FPS unless you go see IMAX which then is only 48 FPS. This stupid bickering over frame rate and LFS performance is stupid. If you can't achieve decent FPS in a 12 year old simulator, UPGRADE YOUR HARDWARE.

If you can afford to buy a G27 or an Oculus Rift then you can afford to buy a decent graphics card. Stop making the developers waste time on new things like your poor performance related to outdated hardware.

@Lfs Devs. You can purchase an AMD FX CPU and a current generation NVIDIA graphics card that will gladly give you more than 100 FPS in LFS for really really cheap now. Stop catering to the few and start advancing this simulator that has been stalled of any major progress for years now.

As far as I was aware, the problems had to do with CPU rather than graphics card and as I have an 2.4ghz quad core which LFS only uses 1/4 of, then that's probably why I was having problems. I have a 2gb radeon 7870 card, the graphics setting weren't making a difference to FPS problems even when turned from high to low. So it seems to me, my performance was bottlenecking at the CPU. Should I feel obliged to upgrade my hardware even when the game doesn't use all of what I have efficiently? I don't think so and I shall upgrade when I want to, not because some random guy is whining on a forum because he didn't get the next imaginary car in a timely fashion and wants to moan at me for something I have no hand in. Honestly, if you have been on this forum more than a week and still think you can bark at the developers for their development speed and priorities with the notion they will give a shit, then you make yourself look like a proper plonker.

I don't know why the game was jerky when like you say movies use lower fps, maybe it because the frames run evenly whilst a game suffering performance problems does not. Nevertheless, the problem is fixed and I was thanking Scawen for doing so. I don't know why doing so pissed on your chips.

Quote from Ped7g :"No sleep". Unless you have single core CPU, or messed up OS, which keeps choking up (unresponsive during Alt+tab, etc..), then you may try "yes" to give task scheduler some more breath. But this one is probably obsolete thing of distant past. Hopefully.

The much more tricky question is fps limit vs vsync... wouldn't dare to give any general advice there, depends too much on HW and personal preference.

Thanks!
Quote from englishlord :have an 2.4ghz quad core which LFS only uses 1/4 of,

1/8 I think even.. Because 8 threads..

But like I said this guy probably didn't read the test patch thread and then you get these kind of comments. Excellent patch, lot of people can be happy with it Smile
edge, I can run LFS with no problems on my pentium 4 with a 256mb GPU (Radeon 3650)..and my PC probably costs like 5 euros. pls m7
Excellent, thanks for a great update!
Brain dead sheep will always be brain dead sheep.

I had 0 issues with performance on ALL of the Westhill Test Patches on my AMD FX 4130 and R7 270X.

Learn to configure your PC, scrubs.
Just took a stroll through Westhill on 0.6H and never once dipped below 200 FPS.

PC Baddies.
At least it's good to have such performance updates, so whenever they add some more CPU/GPU demanding features, there will be a cushion.
IF those features ever come.

Years waiting on "new physics". In that time, Household PC computing power has increased exponentially, yet we still don't even have a physics test patch BUT we can have support for the Derpulus Rift.

This graphic speaks plenty. Give up on supporting old hardware, its being replaced every couple of years now.
Quote :Brain dead sheep will always be brain dead sheep.

I had 0 issues with performance on ALL of the Westhill Test Patches on my AMD FX 4130 and R7 270X.

Learn to configure your PC, scrubs.

So people are brain dead sheep because they can see that an optimized graphics engine enables the possibility of using more demanding graphics effects in the future. I remember Scawen writing about realtime reflections for cars and track shaders etc...

You may had no performance problems, but believe it or not, not everyone has adequate hardware. And I think people who have slow hardware had to learn to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their computers to run anything nowadays.
Quote from AnnieC :I remember Scawen writing about realtime reflections for cars and track shaders etc...

I remember him talking about the VWS, then Rockingham, then new tyre physics, then open configurations, then more objects for the layout editor, then Oculus support, and now a new Westhill.

Scawen talks a lot but delivers rarely. If wants to ban me for speaking my opinion then good on him but this is this sim went from magazine articles and the talk of sims in 2005 to having memes made about its lack of development or care from the developers.

I am sad that I ever contributed money to such lazy developers.

And as for Cargame.nl - I live off my own income in my own house, internettryhard. When did you buy Daves account because I can tell by the awful typing, this is not Dave.
Quote from edge3147 :I am sad that I ever contributed money to such lazy developers.

You paid for S2 licence,you got it and you can use it for rest of the life. You paid it for actual current content,none of it has been removed (unless you were in deep love with old Westhill,which you can still access by installing older version though). Or did you had some specific contract where there was a term that you will get extra content withing specific time? I doubt that.
Everyone,who purchased LFS licence,has the purchased content,noone can now claim,that he has been robbed of something,because everything new you got is extra! If you don't like it,maybe go pay some of your hard earned dollars to iRacing - there you can buy content and then still pay subscription so you can use it too!
He wants attention, I say ignore/delete and don't feed.
-
(Racer X NZ) DELETED by Scawen : spam
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yeah+right

Great improvement on FPS, certainly works much better with Westhill.

I suggest doing a clean download and clean install as that will give the best result.
Just copy over your setup stuff.

Well done with the system improvements.
Quote from Flame CZE :At least it's good to have such performance updates, so whenever they add some more CPU/GPU demanding features, there will be a cushion.

very good Big grin
-
(Flame CZE) DELETED by Flame CZE
Quote from edge3147 :
Quote from englishlord :a jerky 30-40fps

So do you think when you go see a movie at a theater the movie is "jerky" because standard cinema frame rate is still 24 FPS unless you go see IMAX which then is only 48 FPS. This stupid bickering over frame rate and LFS performance is stupid. If you can't achieve decent FPS in a 12 year old simulator, UPGRADE YOUR HARDWARE.

You must be totaly blind or a hardcore "next gen" console player if you think that 30 FPS is not jerky. Movies use motion blur to compensate for the low framerate so you will not notice jerking so much. However, this is not applicable in games because you don´t know which way will camera move so you can´t make proper use of motion blur. Therefore more frames per second are needed to make better illusion of smooth movement.

Another point is that steady 30 FPS is better than randomly jumping from 35 to 50 because your eyes dont have to adjust to different framerate every few seconds.

There are some cases when motion blur is needed, for example tyres spinning in very high speed. In this case it is helpful and increases the illusion of smoothnes because the forward tyre movement is quite predictable.

I personaly have 75Hz monitor, so Im playing on 75 FPS. But i must confess that I notice difference between 60 and 75FPS almost always only in first person shooters, when fighting in tight corridors with need to make fast turns often.
Thanks for the update, game works great now.
Quote from cargame.nl :
1/8 I think even.. Because 8 threads..

It's not quite as simple as that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnS50lJicXc
tl;dr a single thread that's using your CPU efficiently *can* use up to 1/4 of your CPU, even though windows says 1/8th. 1 hyperthread is not equivalent to 1 core.

~~~~~~~~

The following *may* be useful for a small number of people with performance problems, but I really don't know how widespread it is. It might only affect CPUs similar to mine (Phenom II X4 955) or it could be more common.

During the test patch phase, I noticed some weird performance issues on my PC:

In 0.6H, I was getting between ~35 and ~95 FPS in Westhill, depending on where I was looking and whether or not my car was between paths. I was pretty much CPU limited and saw no improvement when I upgraded GPUs (4890 -> R9 285).

A few test patches in and my framerate had dropped to 25~45, at a time when most other people had a ~50% increase. It was bad on other tracks as well (max 80 on an empty Kyoto).
I tried older test patches and 0.6H, but I still had worse framerates than before, so I knew it was something weird with my system and not test patch related (which is why I didn't report it).

Long story short, turns out Visual Studio 2015 installed some Hyper-V stuff that was wrecking LFS performance. I disabled the Hyper-V hypervisor (rebooted) and now I get 100~200fps on Westhill open config with 40 players, 200~300 on a Kyoto race with a handful of players.
Quote from Degats :
Long story short, turns out Visual Studio 2015 installed some Hyper-V stuff that was wrecking LFS performance. I disabled the Hyper-V hypervisor (rebooted) and now I get 100~200fps on Westhill open config with 40 players, 200~300 on a Kyoto race with a handful of players.

Like I said, learn to configure your hardware.

@Bigbob1993, If you can't exceed 100 FPS on LFS you need new hardware.
Quote from edge3147 :
Like I said, learn to configure your hardware.

Software dude......

But, yes, do stop all pointless software running on startup, especially if your processor/system isn't the latest etc......

MSCONFIG is your friend here.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/msconfig-the-system-configuration-tool/273dea8e-4cbe-47e9-8489-f400e879ce17

Quote from edge3147 :@Bigbob1993, If you can't exceed 100 FPS on LFS you need new hardware.

Rubbish, we all know that humans cannot see more than 30 FPS, "To find out more about why 30fps is sometimes the best option, check out our dedicated article that addresses the topic directly - do higher frame-rates always mean better gameplay?."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-case-for-30fps-pc-gaming

EDIT: I'll reply the below here....

He's not running LFS using that, its simply running in the background. Therefore, software !
In the case of Hyper-V, it's not in the startup list, or services; it's effectively a driver.
You have to use the bcdedit command to disable it - I only knew it was even running because VMWare refused to start.
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Scawen : unpleasant comment

New high performance update - 0.6J
(109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG