The online racing simulator
Quote from Abone :today I decided to put my personal textures in 0.6H3 and I faced problem about textures "wrong format" (in printscreen). this changed my FPS for some reason, but textures works normal. i have this in 0.6h without any issues.

Thanks, I confirm this is related to the change to D3D9Ex. This is a case I have not handled yet.

Quote from Dr3dD :Now that you're talking about streaming...

Is it possible to give us an option to not loose audio in window mode when you click outside of lfs's window please?

That is just something to do with how DirectSound works. LFS is not in control of that.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from Dr3dD :Now that you're talking about streaming...

Is it possible to give us an option to not loose audio in window mode when you click outside of lfs's window please?

That is just something to do with how DirectSound works. LFS is not in control of that.

I remember similar requests in the time you changed the sound engine and the sound stopped or didnt stop after you minimized in full screen mode.

I don't know how you use DirectSound but isn't the following flag changable for you?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.directx_sdk.reference.dsbufferdesc.aspx

DSBUFFERDESC -> dwFlags -> DSBCAPS_GLOBALFOCUS. Option may appear also elsewhere.
Thanks for that info. I just did a quick test adding that flag in the places where a DSBUFFERDESC is filled in. For some reason the music did keep playing but there was no car sound. But I think they use a similar system so I'm not sure why that is. I'll look into this.

<?php 

function __construct($bin) {

$headers unpack("A6LFSMPR/C1gamever/C1gamerev/C1mprrev/C1immstart/C2nul/I1rules/I1flags/C1laps/C1skill/C1wind/C1nplayers/A8lfsver/A4trackshort/I1starttime/A32trackfull/C1config/C1rev/C1weather/C1nfinished/I1zero"$bin);

function 
__construct($bin) {

$headers unpack("A24pname/A8numplate/A4scarname/A24lfsuname/S1laps/S1pflags/C1cflags/C1pits/S1penalsecs/I1racetime/I1bestlaptime/C1zero/C1startpos/C1handicapmass/C1intakeres"$bin);
?>

Something completely different but related to patch H. I'm quite sure the MPR structure changed. I cannot retrieve player data anymore... Is this data: https://www.lfs.net/programmer/mpr still 100% correct?

The only thing I can think of is that the amount of drivers/finished people can be 32->40 but I seem to miss how this can effect MPR headers other then that there can be 8 times 80 bytes more result data.
I guess you must be reading the undocumented MPR packets.

The undocumented packets start at some point after the results and a table of skins used in the replay. Now there are another 8 slots for results (80 bytes each) and another 16 skin name slots (20 bytes each).

So the offset of the MPR packets has moved on 8 * 80 + 16 * 20 = 960 bytes.
So the start info block is now at offset 4880 (but was previously at 3920).
Quote from Dr3dD :Is it possible to give us an option to not loose audio in window mode when you click outside of lfs's window please?

Quote from CLRS530 :DSBUFFERDESC -> dwFlags -> DSBCAPS_GLOBALFOCUS.

Thanks, this is now done in my version.

I hope to get H4 out this week but I'm half way through a restructure of the image rendering code. This restructure is mainly for the Rift (and all stereo 3d options). It reduces CPU and GPU usage when generating a stereo image, by only doing some things once. This is valid because the two images are so similar. I don't know how much benefit there will be for normal views.

I did find one issue where just a few of the buildings at Westhill were being drawn a slow way. This would have a small effect on the frame rate.
Quote from Scawen :I guess you must be reading the undocumented MPR packets.

In the end the problem was something completely else which had nothing to do with MPR reading, made wrong assumptions. Renamed the servers during switch to patch H, it was retrieving stored database data from a wrong location. Face -> palm ..

---
Concerning FPS.. Still want to do my video's to show how LFS performs on an older mobile CPU with a somewhat moderate video card (Radeon HD 5730). I guess a lot of people on LFS have some similar performing system. Had no time to shoot video's yesterday so I took my old laptop with me.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from Dr3dD :Is it possible to give us an option to not loose audio in window mode when you click outside of lfs's window please?

Quote from CLRS530 :DSBUFFERDESC -> dwFlags -> DSBCAPS_GLOBALFOCUS.

Thanks, this is now done in my version.

Great! Thank you!
Quote from cargame.nl : I guess a lot of people on LFS have some similar performing system.

I agree .. the problem is que these people do not report Their problems, these people do not know this test path available, simply out of laziness .. generally want new things and then criticize when faced with a problem .
i have no problems.
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Scawen : unhelpful
0.6H4 now available:
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/87997

Misc :

New Audio Option "Sound when window is inactive" (off / on)

Oculus Rift :

Reduced CPU / GPU usage by sharing scene preparation for both eyes

Fixes :

Some buildings at Westhill track were drawn using a slow method
LFS failed to resave custom textures found to be in wrong format
Using mouse wheel to change gear did not work properly at high fps
Thanks, I'll try when I get home (and benchmark it BTW). Smile

@Scawen : I don't know if I reported it earlier, but when you set height at maximum with a custom view, there is clipping everywhere (I tested it with RB4 at Westhill). (I don't know if you fixed it in 0.6H4, but it's not on changelog)
Holy crap. H4 is now installed. After a race a moment ago, I got this weird music in my ears for the first time ever!
Whatever you did Scawen, it made the music work on my PC and I don't ever remember hearing it before...
(I turned it off again mind you, cos it's, em, awful Wink)
I'm back, with some benchmarks !

Sadly, I was expecting better results.
I don't have 0.6H to try between 0.6H and H4 (but I know there will be a massive improvement due to H2/H3 improvements). Check out PNG for quick results, or PDF for more details. Wink
Attached images
H3 vs H4 benchs.png
Attached files
H3 vs H4 benchs.pdf - 129.9 KB - 448 views
Did you used an exact same replay?
No, I used a single lap of 5 IAs with FBM @WE1 with replay camera on first IA.Wink
They have done the same time, and I don't think replay is accurate for a benchmark because it doesn't compute physics.
Quote from Neilser :Holy crap. H4 is now installed. After a race a moment ago, I got this weird music in my ears for the first time ever!
Whatever you did Scawen, it made the music work on my PC and I don't ever remember hearing it before...
(I turned it off again mind you, cos it's, em, awful Wink)

The entry screen music option is enabled when you first run this version because the audio options are stored in a more compact way and it doesn't read the old setting when it starts. Normally that music is switched off when you unlock.

Quote from nacim :I'm back, with some benchmarks !

Sadly, I was expecting better results.

Most of the benefit of the H4 restructure is seen in stereoscopic 3D modes, where around 5% to 10% of CPU time is saved in the render, due to sharing calculations between the two eye views. I think the main benefit from H3 to H4 in non-stereo views was the bug fix - those few buildings that were drawn a slow way. That may help a little with the frame rate drop in the 3 places, but not much as it was only a few of the buildings.

But still, so much is visible at those locations that it does still slow down. I have one more thing to try. I think for the objects with a low triangle count, the CPU is still wasting too much time deciding if those objects should be drawn, and sending a request to the card for their specific vertices and triangles to be drawn. I think it is worth trying a test of just grouping these lower detail objects into a mesh that is drawn complete every frame. This would certainly help CPU usage. I will need to experiment with the number of vertices that is the threshold between these smaller objects, and the larger objects that it is worth not drawing when they are not visible.

Quote from nacim :No, I used a single lap of 5 IAs with FBM @WE1 with replay camera on first IA.Wink
They have done the same time, and I don't think replay is accurate for a benchmark because it doesn't compute physics.

Physics is computed in single player replays.
Quote from Scawen :Most of the benefit of the H4 [...] when they are not visible.

Actually, that can be something to try but in my opinion, I don't think that much optimisations is a real priority right now.
I understand that improvements like the one in 0.6H2 with more than 100% improvements in some places can be a real benefit, but I also think that a 5% improvement optimisation can wait for lasts test patches (before stable version 0.6I). I guess it's more logical for me to add new content and features and then optimise it, so maybe you should release the real time reflections system before doing this. Wink

Quote from Scawen :Physics is computed in single player replays.

That's nice to know, maybe I'll try again later (if someone can send me LFS.exe from 0.6H, that's would be nice, I don't want to redownload the whole game for it). Wink
Thanks Smile
Hi Scawen,

Maybe offtopic
I have been searching for lfs on google without word lfs and I found out that lfs is impossible too find on internet.

I only find other race games and sims.

Maybe thats a thing too work on? Get on google Thumbs up

Anyway I thought I mention it too you Smile

Greets Storm
for me it's more of the same to be honest. Yes, I obtained improvements on all tracks including westhill( thanks for that). in the places mentioned I had improvements to, but in a very short space, that means FPS still drop. I found a light in texture that appears only in clear day.
Attached images
11.jpg
22.jpg
There are also some lights at start of south city (in front of pits), when you pass on this section, interior blink 4 or 5 times due to theses lights.
Maybe it's a leftover or maybe it's intentional, but without shadow mapping lights and shader per-pixel lighting, theses are just weird.
Gear shifting on BF1 was possible with full throttle. When driving only with Mouse is it hard to mve the throttle with Mouse Y for shifting.
Westhill FPS are not improved for me, i have only 38 FPS before T1.

Off Topic: I need a Joystick-Emulator for a 64 bit OS.
Quote from RC-Maus :Hi Scawen,

Maybe offtopic
I have been searching for lfs on google without word lfs and I found out that lfs is impossible too find on internet.

I only find other race games and sims.

Maybe thats a thing too work on? Get on google Thumbs up

Anyway I thought I mention it too you Smile

Greets Storm

i dont know what you mean, i search LFS and the first result is lfs main webpage, also seccond and third link show me wiki and lfswiki
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6H2 (now H11)
(391 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG