The online racing simulator
A bit sad when people make posts like that, it's a real deflating feeling when I am hyped up and working 10-12 hour days getting loads of good things done. Not a good end to the day. Maybe I should be careful how I browse the forum in future. Just thought I'd check in and see what useful commend had been posted on the test patch thread. What I found was this spam (which was originally on the test patch thread).

Deep breath... turns off computer...
Quote from Be2K :
Just wanna new tracks and a community which will create greate events then. Not the same old content.
Westhill is nice and we did a 10hour Race on it, but now everyone will move on.

I hope Scawen will release something big this year ? At least my hopes are build on this random testpatch. Normaly he announce someting before.

There has been a 10 hour race now with the GT1 class on WE2, but still there hasn't been a longer endurance race on the reversed configuration, which is also worth trying it IMO. And the GT2 class could also be used.
Quote from Scawen :Maybe I should be careful how I browse the forum in future.

Nah... I understand it's hard to stay looking from it on the outside but it's written by someone of 25 years old, It's an I world nowadays. Not social at all, "I I and I, I want this, I want that". My (I) system is running good so dotdotdot Also not reading, the latest generation doesn't read also. The discussion earlier was already that LFS on the new Westhill is maxing out a lot of multicore CPUs... Can have 3.000 FPS on Westhill but still the screen is lagging with my 2000 Euro laptop. Now maybe this decrease in system memory footprint and/or DX9Ex helps to avoid this, had no time to test this yet but using less memory is good anyway. Don't understand why textures are in system memory anway while I have 4 Gb of GPU RAM but I'm not a game/sim programmer.

It's better to optimize performance then to be busy with content. It took just two weeks for people to move from Westhill 2.0 to some extreme silly brainless Rockstar game*. But, well, thats how it goes nowadays. However, it's of course very welcome if Eric does some texture updates here and there Wink *(People with ridiculously specced computers can do this, people with avarage computers can't).

To have a good future as sim it's better to release sort of timed update releases. Like every 3 months something, instead of doing something extremely big twice or once a year in a surprising way. I know this produces deadlines but even a small update is better then nothing. Let the people complain about "is this everything? blabla". Also, the sooner we are with 1.0 the better. I think some people stay away because they think it's unfinished. Maybe you also see it like that but people play this for over 5 years now (like me), I don't think this zero reflects the state of the sim.
Be2K, maybe you should try pCars? I've heard they're already launching pCars2! Is that what you want? Unfinished cars and tracks shit out every once in a while? You're demotivating to developers and aren't helping at all.
Quote from Bose321 :Be2K, maybe you should try pCars? I've heard they're already launching pCars2! Is that what you want? Unfinished cars and tracks shit out every once in a while? You're demotivating to developers and aren't helping at all.

Don't you mean NFS Shift 3 and NFS Shift 4?

FWIW: They forcefully removed me from their backers because I've been commenting negatively on the internet. Thus properly completing the bait and switch Tongue
This is actually a thoughtful post given the thought put into the above posts.

Cargame, the kids have had GTA V for years on their xboxyPS thingies. People with PC's have been playing The Witcher......, as should everyone here if you love gaming.

Scrawen, I really understand what your feeling and saying, but after 10 years here, after me saying the same thing for years, and now sadly stating that online in Australasia doesn't exist any more, that's really sad to say.

IMHO, Open up the demo to Westhill and Fox to get up numbers, allow 3rd party tracks for licenced players, build online interest so when you release the physics, there is still a player base to build on.

Or, rely on Occ Rift which doesn't care about small studios, rely on ?????? to get user numbers up. Whatever, I love this game but it's up to you to get the ball rolling again. Many of us have been trying hard for years but.......

LFS really sucks db as a single player game, it's strength is online multiplayer. Please don't kill it !
Quote from cargame.nl :Now maybe this decrease in system memory footprint and/or DX9Ex helps to avoid this, had no time to test this yet but

Exactly the same behavior of CPU usage; 12% (=max on 8 thread CPU Intel I7). Now I know it gets worse with a multi monitor setup (LFS on one screen, Windows desktop/apps on another) for some unknown weird reason. Wonder if this DX9Ex helps with this, but I am not at home to be able to test with multiple monitors..

Others reported problems with multi monitor configs before? Where are they? Test! :P

Maybe I should buy an I5? At least 25% of the CPU can be used then Big grin
Quote from Scawen :A bit sad when people make posts like that, it's a real deflating feeling when I am hyped up and working 10-12 hour days getting loads of good things done. Not a good end to the day. Maybe I should be careful how I browse the forum in future. Just thought I'd check in and see what useful commend had been posted on the test patch thread. What I found was this spam (which was originally on the test patch thread).

Deep breath... turns off computer...

Forget about trolls, Internet is full of them. Do this for you and the community that supports you. Smile
BTW, I had time to read what you deleted, so I know how you feel right now, so chill you a bit and come back when you'll be less frustrated. Wink
track editor is wise choice to release. you see, people made beautiful mountain layout on AU with minimal slab and wall texture...i mean the possibility to make beautiful track inside track with minimal editor by a user. the future is here...
I am actually interested in releasing a track editor and providing a system to automatically download track updates when the creator updates their track and textures. I think the download would be a low priced paid service (like premium skins) even if the tracks are free (paid tracks are another thing entirely). But this is absolutely impossible to supply to S2 licensed users, unless we want to discard any possibility of making money. So it would have to be an S3 thing. This type of possibility is one of the reasons why Eric and I are working hard to get to the S3 license, because it will allow us to produce and release cool things for S3 licensed users.
Quote from Scawen :I am actually interested in releasing a track editor and providing a system to automatically download track updates when the creator updates their track and textures. I think the download would be a low priced paid service (like premium skins) even if the tracks are free (paid tracks are another thing entirely). But this is absolutely impossible to supply to S2 licensed users, unless we want to discard any possibility of making money. So it would have to be an S3 thing.

300% approving this, you can already take my money if you want to. Thumbs up
Yes, take my money too !!!
The bank is in touch, the damned 12 or more pounds are already provided Big grin

Good luck for your excellent work as usual Wink
Scawen please don't be sad. It's just a few haters barking loud for many LFSers who appreciate your work, but remain silent.

My approach is, that unknown people are not able to offend me over internet.
I'm one another of those old hares that tend to visit this forum only on occasions, but I love how there is still some thing going on.

On the track editor idea: Guess a few dozen track modellers working on Assetto Corsa content would happily release their tracks for LFS if it would mean that people could race them online without a big hassle of manually installing and the train wreck of a online interface AC offers Big grin
Quote from Scawen :I am actually interested in releasing a track editor and providing a system to automatically download track updates when the creator updates their track and textures. I think the download would be a low priced paid service (like premium skins) even if the tracks are free (paid tracks are another thing entirely). But this is absolutely impossible to supply to S2 licensed users, unless we want to discard any possibility of making money. So it would have to be an S3 thing. This type of possibility is one of the reasons why Eric and I are working hard to get to the S3 license, because it will allow us to produce and release cool things for S3 licensed users.

Nice !

my first post wasnt intend to offend you / your work.

I'll just want a big racing community back in LFS. But there is a smallbase of racers left which are only driving on Cruise Server.

I hope you could release S3 soon Smile so we could get a big Trackpool Smile
Stop screwing with Scavier's enthusiasm.
Quote from Scawen :I am actually interested in releasing a track editor and providing a system to automatically download track updates when the creator updates their track and textures. I think the download would be a low priced paid service (like premium skins) even if the tracks are free (paid tracks are another thing entirely). But this is absolutely impossible to supply to S2 licensed users, unless we want to discard any possibility of making money. So it would have to be an S3 thing. This type of possibility is one of the reasons why Eric and I are working hard to get to the S3 license, because it will allow us to produce and release cool things for S3 licensed users.

That's quite a game changer there, I think. And I welcome it.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall the Devs ever hinting at the proposition of allowing user created content in LFS.
Oh God... People will stop waiting Rockinham and Scirocco and now they will cry about the promising track editorBig grin

Hey, after many years without updates its normal that the community lack of activity (race events, racers etc).
But developers are active again so in near future LFS will be active again.
Developers release new stuff=racers coming back. Simple.
I didn't really say anything new there, guys. I was just saying once more that we are interested in user created content after S3, for people who have forgotten that or missed it. It's not imminent or definite. It's something we are interested in. But how long? Think years, not months.

Perhaps we could release user editors bit by bit, to iron out the issues, rather than dumping some big unwieldy mess on you all at once. But as I say, it's not relevant now. We have to get to S3.
Quote from Scawen :
Perhaps we could release user editors bit by bit, to iron out the issues, rather than dumping some big unwieldy mess on you all at once. But as I say, it's not relevant now. We have to get to S3.

this is the most beautiful sentences i ever read for today Omg omg omg and i wish it come with editor arrow like this for precision object places. and maybe if i can suggest, movable all object around the track (trees, building, sign, etc..etc) or just give user blank mountain/flat landscape with saperated object menu like i dont know Did I Say That? skateboard park tycoon ahaha...

Quote from Scawen :I didn't really say anything new there, guys. I was just saying once more that we are interested in user created content after S3, for people who have forgotten that or missed it. It's not imminent or definite. It's something we are interested in. But how long? Think years, not months.

Thanks for the clarification. Not being a programmer, I have absolutely no idea of the effort necessary to implement a track editor.
I would predict though, that it could well be the renaissance that LFS needs so much.
LFS still holds the advantage of having a beautifully simplistic and functional MP system that's not yet matched in other sims. This combined with high quality, community made content would revive interest a lot I think.

I also agree that an incremental release of editors would be the best approach. It will maintain interest in the community and help to keep things manageable on the development front.

It's funny, Steam provides the content delivery that you're describing as part of using SteamWorks (and Steam) as a platform. Workshop allows creators to submit their content to the Workshop and update it, along with providing a mechanism to keep everyone who has "subscribed" to that content up to date.

It works great for clients and servers alike, as both of them can use workshop to download content and keep it up to date.

Assetto Corsa was supposed to use Workshop for mods, but Kunos either forgot about that or hasn't done it yet.
Quote from farcar :
Quote from Scawen :I didn't really say anything new there, guys. I was just saying once more that we are interested in user created content after S3, for people who have forgotten that or missed it. It's not imminent or definite. It's something we are interested in. But how long? Think years, not months.

Thanks for the clarification. Not being a programmer, I have absolutely no idea of the effort necessary to implement a track editor.
I would predict though, that it could well be the renaissance that LFS needs so much.
LFS still holds the advantage of having a beautifully simplistic and functional MP system that's not yet matched in other sims. This combined with high quality, community made content would revive interest a lot I think.

You typed almost exactly my response.

Of course the developers need to make money from what they do...and continue to make money when they are not doing what they do..

Something like a track editor would seem (to me) to be free money...someone else is creating content that can be un-licensed and they not only pay you for that but others also pay you to accesss that content...lol.

There are so many ways in which a track editor could work with LFS..of course no one wants this to turn into a million tracks where you have to download the exact thing for it to work.

Simple forum voting can decide content...pay a few quid for downloads...(not few quid and download all...but few quid to download selected).

Come on Scawen just take a look at how the rest of the world works....
Its better if the track that user made are maintain / approve by developer and put a list of track on LFS website as part of LFS release, so people won't confuse on server list while they join one server but missing the track because he/she didnt have a track that use on the server in multiplayer...for example.
because track is not like layout object that we can load while joining a server, omg i can't imagine the awesomeness of track in the future Big grin
Quote from Scawen :A bit sad when people make posts like that, it's a real deflating feeling when I am hyped up and working 10-12 hour days getting loads of good things done.

Don't worry there are lots of people that still love the game you have created, we are just not as loud.
This thread is closed

New Westhill racing environment - 0.6H
(328 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG