The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :
P.S. We don't mind if you use another sim any time you feel like it. There's no exclusivity clause in our contract with you. Big grin

Wait... There is not? Dammit, I've avoided every other racing game for the past 8 years...
Quote from {DILUSI} :
Quote from Scawen :
P.S. We don't mind if you use another sim any time you feel like it. There's no exclusivity clause in our contract with you. Big grin

Wait... There is not? Dammit, I've avoided every other racing game for the past 8 years...

The difference is you would have been flamed from this forum, if you even mentioned a different racing game back then Wink
But back then there wasn't a single game that was worth switching to.

Anyway, I'm just patiently waiting. I couldn't really care less if Scawen still needs a year or two. As long as the final product is good for him, it's good for us.

The only thing I do hope is that there will be some content once the tyre physics are done, because I'm not sure if a single track and one or two new cars will be exciting enough to keep people interested for long.

I'm looking forward to what the future might bring to LFS.
Quote from Bose321 :But back then there wasn't a single game that was worth switching to.

Anyway, I'm just patiently waiting. I couldn't really care less if Scawen still needs a year or two. As long as the final product is good for him, it's good for us.

The only thing I do hope is that there will be some content once the tyre physics are done, because I'm not sure if a single track and one or two new cars will be exciting enough to keep people interested for long.

There still isn't a game worth switching to for the stuff that makes LFS so special. AC has the content and the physics, but the MP system is so broken it might as well not exist. iRacing is awful in every single way. AC got so much hype because there was a few months of new content and features every 2 weeks for free.
LFS is the reason other racing sims bug me. I've been spoiled for years with incredible physics and super tight racing with amazing net code. No other game comes close to the this in terms of how everything feels when you're in 10th of 20 cars and everyone is racing hard. It's honestly the perfect racing sim, and I will continue to play it long into the future. Absolutely got my money's worth for this game.

Keep up the great work guys, and take as long as you need to get Westhill, and the S3 content ready. I'll patiently wait.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Quote from Bose321 :But back then there wasn't a single game that was worth switching to.

There still isn't a game worth switching to for the stuff that makes LFS so special. AC has the content and the physics, but the MP system is so broken it might as well not exist. iRacing is awful in every single way. AC got so much hype because there was a few months of new content and features every 2 weeks for free.

I think AC is decent, but after a couple of weeks of pick-up racing in LFS I agree with you even more than I might have before.
For me it goes to show that content is not important. We get sucked in because each car or track is a new reason to double click the .exe but with the exception of a few tracks (or, to a lesser extent, cars) that are a challenge and thrill in themselves, tracks and cars do not really add more than a few hours of interest for me, often much less.
Proper multiplayer, like LFS provides with such ruthless efficiency you can almost believe that kunos was so disheartened by the impossibility of coming close that he just half-assed it (seriously, you can be in a server in like 15 seconds or less from the desktop, it's brutal), proper multiplayer is clearly the only reason interest in LFS still survives.

Good to see Scawen is clearly happier about things at the moment, anyway. New chapter time.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from theodu69 :What are they actually doing? Everyone is moving to Assetto Corsa

Just in case it is somehow not yet clear, we are currently working very hard on the last things to be able to release the new Westhill. That is what we are actually doing. Smile

Hey Scawen. I really like your job right here, I understand that you guys are working in a duo and you have done a masterpiece. No other game currently on the market has such an advanced physics model, not speaking of the tyres. You have a very nice community (mostly consisting of Arabs, nothing wrong with that, though).
Just wanted to put that out there. I really love playing your game everyday, it never gets boring.

P.S. My favourite car is the XFR Big grin
Quote from misu2048 :
Hey Scawen. I really like your job right here, I understand that you guys are working in a duo and you have done a masterpiece. No other game currently on the market has such an advanced physics model, not speaking of the tyres. You have a very nice community (mostly consisting of Arabs, nothing wrong with that, though).
Just wanted to put that out there. I really love playing your game everyday, it never gets boring.

P.S. My favourite car is the XFR Big grin

lol!
I think it's really important to release the Westhill as soon as possible. I've joined to LFS servers almost every day (usually just to see people) and I see they are getting more empty all the time. People I know are just leaving and there's less people in the servers. And that is happening faster than ever.

Tbh, there is only one server for S2 racing anymore and it only has XFG and XRG available (nothing against those cars, I like them).
Quote from CardsetCrazy :I think it's really important to release the Westhill as soon as possible.

I think their plans are the same, they are working on it. I agree, though.
i've looked at the online charts.. now i am sad.
IMHO we can tell that LFS is dead. We are at the Point now where LFS must get content to gain his community back.
At the end of last year the Whesthill Update supposed to be the rescue boat but now i think it wouldn't be enough.

so actually... there isnt any "live" for speed
Quote from Be2K :i've looked at the online charts.. now i am sad.
IMHO we can tell that LFS is dead. We are at the Point now where LFS must get content to gain his community back.
At the end of last year the Whesthill Update supposed to be the rescue boat but now i think it wouldn't be enough.

so actually... there isnt any "live" for speed

And yet here we (and you) are.

I bet they aren't expecting it to make them millionaires, but as long as they keep working on it, it won't die. It's too good at what it does. Content has never been what makes LFS fun. We aren't obsessed with things which look like things in "real life".

When the Westhill patch comes, I am certain there will be a spike in numbers online. If nobody cares, then you may have a point, but I think people will.
I still think that long before getting to post-mortem there'll be things they can do to light a fire under LFS. Adding in a variety of cars for one thing, not necessarily in perfect shape. And/or doing it with a more public pre-release playtesting phase.

That is IMO the main issue for LFS; the content. Evidently the engine itself carried LFS thru this long a dry spell, so to speak.
The really feature that LFS should have is the possibility to create and add cars with given softwares/plugins, and be playable in multiplayer (just like AC).
Quote from nacim :and be playable in multiplayer (just like AC).

I guess it depends on what you call playable...
I never had any issues with MP, guess I'm doing it wrong.
People did not thought there is actually something else to have than Assetto Corsa, in case of if LFS doesn't "taste" any good... It is called a real life.

I got a bit amused how LFS fanatics are afraid about people go to enjoy AS or similar racing sim.

I can tell you, it is no need to be afraid. Once S...
Engrishizzle mh Finnishizzle
Quote from nacim :The really feature that LFS should have is the possibility to create and add cars with given softwares/plugins, and be playable in multiplayer (just like AC).

Multiplayer can be fine without InSim and such..
Nowadays people use that feature to do cruise/drift/drag stuff (Such necessary right.)
Quote from theodu69 :Nowadays people use that feature to do cruise/drift/drag stuff (Such necessary right.)

Because they can't do anything else. If people could create their own servers with cars and tracks, I'm pretty sure that LFS would become MUCH more popular than it ever been. People love to create content, and VOB restriction is purely killing a big community in LFS.

That's why I think that if Scawen release a plugin to import 3D models and create custom cars (with car parameters, etc.), and the same for tracks, LFS would massively be played.
Other game are super custom open and customized. That does not make them any better... Let The dev work and deliver us a quality bug free sim with a Feeling to it!
Quote from nacim :That's why I think that if Scawen release a plugin to import 3D models and create custom cars (with car parameters, etc.), and the same for tracks, LFS would massively be played.

From the FAQ "Can I make my own cars/tracks for LFS?":
Quote :No - Live for Speed is still in development therefore there are no car or track editors available at this time. Also it's not yet possible to import other 3d formats into the game. However we will probably release the editors at some point in the future when most of the LFS development is finished.

Quote from loopingz :Other game are super custom open and customized. That does not make them any better... Let The dev work and deliver us a quality bug free sim with a Feeling to it!

A pretty false dichotomy.
Quote from Ped7g :From the FAQ "Can I make my own cars/tracks for LFS?":
Quote :No - Live for Speed is still in development therefore there are no car or track editors available at this time. Also it's not yet possible to import other 3d formats into the game. However we will probably release the editors at some point in the future when most of the LFS development is finished.

I already know that, but maybe it time to think more about it than waiting for LFS to be dead finished before allowing car/track Add-ons.
that window mode while connecting bugged me for years Big grin and it still does when i make a fresh install. first thing one does when he/she cant see servers is exit lfs, in which case one will already see the error message so its not needed i think.

letting community create cars will give it a short lived "lfs is active" illusion, then it will go down, and even if devs release new official cars, it wont excite us as much as it now would. like the saying too many cooks spoil the stew. rarity of content for years is what made us so hungry for updates. ac got that "dream pack", but I am more excited for westhill.
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG