The online racing simulator
Quote from Flotch :Glad for you this is done Smile
Quote from Scawen :...
I can now concentrate on getting things finished, to get the compatible open paths support test patch out, to be followed by the Westhill update which should be fun.

everybody is ready to have fun ^^

Thumbs up!
Woo Hoo!
Quote from Scawen :
I can now concentrate on getting things finished, to get the compatible open paths support test patch out, to be followed by the Westhill update which should be fun.

Oh yeeeeeees Smile Thumbs up for this
Quote from mbutcher :...

A reveal of what looks like the circuit map and a karting sign - Yes please.

so Eric, with the extra-time you could have spent on Westhill thanks to VAT ... could you tell us more on this karting symbol ^^ ?
-
(plisunban) DELETED by plisunban : wronk post
Quote from plisunban :.

While it can be a respectable achievement for some, but don't you seriously get tired from creating multiple users to praise that?

Well, grats. I guess.
-
(edge3147) DELETED by edge3147 : =]
Quote from Scawen :I can now concentrate on getting things finished, to get the compatible open paths support test patch out, to be followed by the Westhill update which should be fun.

Happy to hear this
-
(Racer X NZ) DELETED by Flame CZE : not relevant
-
(CSF) DELETED by Flame CZE : not relevant
-
(boothy) DELETED by Flame CZE : not relevant
Scawen, now that the VAT MOSS crap is behind you guys, how is the patch coming along?

Regarding the new pathing system, what exactly is the plan here? It's possible to have multiple paths from multiple sections of track? The path files themselves would be updated on a some what regular basis based on the current WR hot lap path on a per car basis? I'm grasping at straws here because I really have no idea what I'm to expect from this system. I already have a pth file parser, so I'm wondering what I'm going to have to do to it to get this new information, and how often.
For paths, it is explained here :
The high level of detail resulted in some loss of frame rate, specially in open configs, so we have worked on a new system where open configs can use 'paths' (and change between paths as needed) so LFS knows where you are and what you can see from your location. This keeps the frame rate high by avoiding drawing too many objects. I worked on a new hidden object removal system which doesn't miss objects like the old system did. I plan to release updated hidden object files for the existing tracks.

Quote from Dygear :The path files themselves would be updated on a some what regular basis based on the current WR hot lap path on a per car basis? ... I already have a pth file parser, so I'm wondering what I'm going to have to do to it to get this new information, and how often.

IMO, it's unlikely that any paths will be based on WRs, or even regularly updated for that matter - the current ones certainly aren't.

Since the new paths look to be dealing more with open (or custom) configs with multiple potential routes, there's a good chance they may not be based on driving an actual driven lap at all, but rather multiple linked sections of road similar to digital mapping/navigation systems.
some news about progress(westhill progress 2015) ?
Quote from BorislavB :some news about progress(westhill progress 2015) ?

Quote from Scawen :I can now concentrate on getting things finished, to get the compatible open paths support test patch out, to be followed by the Westhill update which should be fun.

Quote from Degats :
Quote from Dygear :The path files themselves would be updated on a some what regular basis based on the current WR hot lap path on a per car basis? ... I already have a pth file parser, so I'm wondering what I'm going to have to do to it to get this new information, and how often.

IMO, it's unlikely that any paths will be based on WRs, or even regularly updated for that matter - the current ones certainly aren't.

Since the new paths look to be dealing more with open (or custom) configs with multiple potential routes, there's a good chance they may not be based on driving an actual driven lap at all, but rather multiple linked sections of road similar to digital mapping/navigation systems.

Come on guys...READ the previous threads...the "paths" have absolutely NOTHING to do with the AI cars or WR's or anything other than GRAPHICS!!
Quote from Scawen; (in case you cant scroll back more than 2mm!!)...

Quote :The high level of detail resulted in some loss of frame rate, specially in open configs, so we have worked on a new system where open configs can use 'paths' (and change between paths as needed) so LFS knows where you are and what you can see from your location. This keeps the frame rate high by avoiding drawing too many objects. I worked on a new hidden object removal system which doesn't miss objects like the old system did. I plan to release updated hidden object files for the existing tracks.

I have already quoted this part for them ... without success Big grin
These are the paths in question, if I'm not mistaken.

So LFS should switch between these paths as you go from one config to another, and show only the necessary parts of the track.
Quote from Bladerunner :Come on guys...READ the previous threads...the "paths" have absolutely NOTHING to do with the AI cars or WR's or anything other than GRAPHICS!!

We can read.

We were discussing/asking how they might be implemented and made, not what they're going to do, or how they might be used.

Oh, and by the way, there's a very good chance they could be used for other things that Scawen hasn't mentioned as well, depending on how they're implemented and what data we (as programmers) get access to.

A good example is the current/old paths (rendered on Flame's post).
They are used for graphics as well (for the same reason as the new paths), but also for timing, the racing line, to render the track map, and contain data about the track area and drivable area.
They are generated by (presumably Scawen) actually driving around each track config (hence the WR reference), but that method wouldn't necessarily be so practical with the new paths due to the potentially huge number of possible routes.
This path system posted by Flame was used to help spam sprites and the world around a car isn't it? And its the reason why on open config you have less FPS. Because that path isnt there so the whole 'world' needs to be drawn also when it's out of your point of view.

To my understanding Scawen wants to either replace that whole system or make a new one especially for graphics tasks along side of it? This bit is unclear so thats why people start to wonder.
Quote :but that method wouldn't necessarily be so practical with the new paths due to the potentially huge number of possible routes.

The new implementation will use only sections of path, so each possible route in open config will have it's own section of path defined. As you drive around on open config, LFS will probably detect somehow on the crossing, which way you went, and which new section of path to use for your current position.

So the number of paths required to be defined is not that huge, as if you would have to define whole lap for every possible variant.
This update will include new shadow system ? Any news about this ?
Quote from cargame.nl :This path system posted by Flame was used to help spam sprites and the world around a car isn't it? And its the reason why on open config you have less FPS. Because that path isnt there so the whole 'world' needs to be drawn also when it's out of your point of view.

To my understanding Scawen wants to either replace that whole system or make a new one especially for graphics tasks along side of it? This bit is unclear so thats why people start to wonder.

I thought I had explained it in detail already. But apparently there is still confusion so I'll explain it again.

I'm not really replacing the whole system. Two things are happening.

1) The paths will be used in open configs, just as they are in default (standard / normal) configs, for the hidden object removal (not drawing hidden objects), the lightmaps (car appearing in shadow when it is in shadow) and echo maps (an echo when you are in a tunnel). BUT NOT for the functions of AI cars or lap position tracking and 'wrong way' detection, because it's still an open config and you keep switching between paths as required. These path related features are not available when using open configs in the current public release. This is mostly done and working, except that the lightmaps are only half done yet. Also the selection of visible objects for the TV cameras is half done because I have done that a really different way now.

2) Improved system for detecting the hidden objects. This benefits the ordinary configs as well as the open configs. It reduces greatly that thing you sometimes see in LFS, on ordinary configs, where objects, fences or parts of track or scenery are missing for a moment. This is done, but I just need to make a way to save the hidden object info to a file that will be released with the patch.

So, this first test patch will be fully compatible and have no extra features, but you will notice there will not be objects popping up, and the open configs will be just as good as the standard configs.

Quote from sti228 :This update will include new shadow system ? Any news about this ?

Not in this first test patch and the status of this system is not clear to me yet as it is still experimental.
Still same boring, you are approaching magical date Big grin 21.June 2014
" we expect to release this version for testing in a five weeks "
Najs vork
#422 - kdo

Goods !
Quote :Not in this first test patch and the status of this system is not clear to me yet as it is still experimental.

Thank you. Can't wait for new Westhill update. Good luck Smile
Echoes in open config, awesome!
That awkward moment when you realise that echo was missing on open configs for all these years...

Not relevant to original topic ...
I've been messing with IS_AXM recently and noticed that you cannot get/request info about current objects in use. PMO_LOADING_FILE is sent in case of loading file or when connecting to server, and PMO_ADD_OBJECTS in case of modification of layout. However there isn't a way to detect objects in case my InSim is started while layout has already been loaded. TINY_AXM ? Big grin
This thread is closed

Westhill Progress (November)
(946 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG