The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
I do like the idea of collecting system statistics but I think we need to ask the user if it's OK.

So I have to write some code to pop up a screen asking the user for permission to send various different types of data back to LFS database, like computer system info, maybe settings info. Then code the info collection and packets to send it, modify the master server to receive this info and send it to the database.

I think when you store info about someone's computer system, you really need their consent before you do it. So that's just an added complication that puts me off doing it in a hurry.

It's one of those things that you have to code now, to get the benefit later, like the auto-updater which had to be released but never used until the next patch. It doesn't provide any benefit for the current patch so it always ends up low priority. Obviously it helps with future decisions so at some point you get round to it. But at the moment I feel really overloaded with things so to add one more thing to confuse me would be a mistake.
Quote from cargame.nl : OK.. I'm done with this.

[Starts Wii, Mario Kart]

8000 mm is 8 meters or 314.96063 inches

guessing he probaby meant 800mm

also i think it would be a good idea with implementing it where you get system specs, it would give you a bigger picture of users systems and then get a general idea of what your catering for
Quote from Scawen :I think when you store info about someone's computer system, you really need their consent before you do it. So that's just an added complication that puts me off doing it in a hurry.

Yeah, I think you're probably right (despite the temptation to just do it). Thanks for clarifying.
NB: I'm not keen to distract you from the main thing
Quote from bishtop :I mean the following

/w is_licensed USERNAME

That is a new one for me. Why isn't this one documented anywhere? It could be added to the keys.pdf files as well as to the /w ? output message.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK : can lfs even run on macs? just curious. nothing serious if so. can someone pm me how to set it up please?

Use homebrew to install wine. Installation of homebrew see the homebrew homepage: http://brew.sh

To install wine type the following command in the terminal:
brew install wine

This takes a while.
Afterwards you can install LFS with 'wine LFS_S2_6F_setup.exe'

You will find the installation here:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/LFS

Run LFS then with
wine LFS.exe

Works fine on my Mac. (Tested with OS X 10.9 and 10.10)
LFS also works on OS X with WineBottler which has a graphical user interface.
Quote from Flame CZE :That is a new one for me. Why isn't this one documented anywhere? It could be added to the keys.pdf files as well as to the /w ? output message.

It was given to me while making some enquiries. I was told it was undocumented but was ok to use

@scawen

Just add it to the installer with a choice of sending the specs and include a disclaimer explaining what will be sent and what the information is used for
Quote from bishtop :...

Just add it to the installer with a choice of sending the specs and include a disclaimer explaining what will be sent and what the information is used for

I am sure Scawen agrees, but as told, he is busy preparing the WestHill patch (and his DK2)
Please, do not disturb
Attached images
Please, do not disturb.jpg
I question the usefulness to do that with an installer, last time I actually used the installer was 4 years and 3 systems ago. Just guessing I am not the only one just moving the LFS directory around.
Agreed, it would be best for LFS to do something like store a checksum of the info, and send the new info when it changes (upgrades, etc).
Quote from cargame.nl :I question the usefulness to do that with an installer, last time I actually used the installer was 4 years and 3 systems ago. Just guessing I am not the only one just moving the LFS directory around.

With another patch coming soon would it not be easy enough to implement it when you go through the update process ???
Quote from Flotch :I am sure Scawen agrees, but as told, he is busy preparing the WestHill patch (and his DK2)
Please, do not disturb

i only disturb those that allow themselves to be disturbed
Quote from Scawen :Changes from 0.6F to 0.6F2 :

Two new 3D formats in TV / monitor /projector mode :

- red-cyan anaglyph...

Thx.
I have tried with openSUSE 13.1 64 Bit and Wine 1.7.2.
The "outdated" GPU was an NVIDIA 8400 GS with SM4 support.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400_tech_specs.html

I have reduced the LOD and have disabled AA and also texture filtering.
I've got around ~23 fps in cockpit view of the last car (10.).

The GPU already supports SM4 but does not have enough power anyway to display a "simple" resolution of 1680x1050 without any image enhancement.

Btw. I have tried with nouveau and also proprietary driver of NVIDIA itself. The result with NVIDIA drivers was only around 10% better (2-3 fps).

With this GPU I don't think the result will be much better under Windows.

Software installation after core installation of Linux (KDE desktop):
- Installation of wine
- Installation of DirectX 9.0c
- Installation of LFS with the update to 0.6F2

I do not get any errors after LFS start. With a better GPU LFS work fine under linux.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :thank you very much for that info

and thank you for this aswell

Yep, those instructions need to be sticked and wiki'd.
Quote from Scawen :I do like the idea of collecting system statistics but I think we need to ask the user if it's OK.

So I have to write some code to pop up a screen asking the user for permission to send various different types of data back to LFS database, like computer system info, maybe settings info. Then code the info collection and packets to send it, modify the master server to receive this info and send it to the database.

I think when you store info about someone's computer system, you really need their consent before you do it. So that's just an added complication that puts me off doing it in a hurry.

It's one of those things that you have to code now, to get the benefit later, like the auto-updater which had to be released but never used until the next patch. It doesn't provide any benefit for the current patch so it always ends up low priority. Obviously it helps with future decisions so at some point you get round to it. But at the moment I feel really overloaded with things so to add one more thing to confuse me would be a mistake.

Just an idea: While LFS is still in Alpha, make a button on left top of the main screen called "debug" for a popup menu, where we can send you crash files, system settings, blablabla and so on
LFS is not Alpha anymore, as far as I know.
Hi Scawen,

I'd like to thank you for theses updates, and Eric for the Westhill update that will come soon. It's a really cool you add some new tech for LFS (even if I don't have a Occulus Rift or a 3D screen, like most of the people). Updating the game to DirectX 9 increased my FPS by 10-20% (now 400+ FPS ).

I think that now the 3D patch is ready, and the DK2 support will not take long time (you have now experience in VR ), and I really want for LFS to go S3 for the end of the year (I know it will be hard). I'm sure that the community can help you with your problems, so don't hesitate to post them here (we want to develop LFS with you ! ).

By the way, can you give us a progress report about the tyre physics and other S3 content (and Westhill too) ?

So thanks again for getting back on LFS developpement !

(Sorry for my bad English)
Quote from nacim :
By the way, can you give us a progress report about the tyre physics and other S3 content (and Westhill too) ?

Here is what you ask for

Quote from Scawen :No, it's much too subtle. What Eric is talking about is something you can feel, but not see.

In my words, just as I've said before, the new tyres feel better to drive. I think it's because of the physical model used to combined the lateral and longitudinal forces.

It's not something you can see. There are terrible flaws with the new tyre system, relating to pressure, temperature, load sensitivity. It's unfinished work. It's something I want to get finished. I can't make any more comments on the subject at this time.

Quote from THE WIZARD DK :i tried yours. im sure it looks great on other machines. but when i use it. all surface joints gets pixelated. like the boot / hood of any car is with squares on the lines thats supposed to be smooth..

Can you attach an example? I have not yet received any bug reports, so it is not surprising that I could miss something.

If you mean the sharp edges with specular lighting, then there's nothing I can do, since it depends on the detail of a polygonal mesh which is really poor.
There are 2 ways to fix it:
Modification of .VOB file with higher mesh detalisation, which is not quite a legal, or additional textures for materials so i could add normal maps for smoothing edges and adding details.

Anyway i can do really something beautiful, if i had more access to LFS graphics.

For example, I have attached screenshots of one project which I'm working on.
All graphics is realtime(exept the motion blur).
Attached images
mp412C_s.jpg
mp412C_4_s.jpg
mp412C_6_s.jpg
Quote from Keiichi_Tsuchiya :Can you attach an example? I have not yet received any bug reports, so it is not surprising that I could miss something.

If you mean the sharp edges with specular lighting, then there's nothing I can do, since it depends on the detail of a polygonal mesh which is really poor.
There are 2 ways to fix it:
Modification of .VOB file with higher mesh detalisation, which is not quite a legal, or additional textures for materials so i could add normal maps for smoothing edges and adding details.

Anyway i can do really something beautiful, if i had more access to LFS graphics.

For example, I have attached screenshots of one project which I'm working on.
All graphics is realtime(exept the motion blur).

interesting but what is that ? a simulator or a simple graphical engine ?, btw look like you using assetto corsa mclaren, right ?
Quote from lfsrm :interesting but what is that ? a simulator or a simple graphical engine ?, btw look like you using assetto corsa mclaren, right ?

it's a simulator which I hope to release someday.
And yes, there's Mclaren from AC which i'm using for testing purposes (scripting, rigging, shading, texturing, etc) because of convenient texture UV. Everything will be replaced when my buddy will finish original 3d content.
Quote from Keiichi_Tsuchiya :it's a simulator which I hope to release someday.
And yes, there's Mclaren from AC which i'm using for testing purposes (scripting, rigging, shading, texturing, etc) because of the convenient texture UV. Everything will be replaced when my buddy will finish original 3d content.

thanks for response and very interesting project but I think it's too much for you alone, you need some help from friends or someone who want to be 100% involved into your project because even a team of 10 personne like kunos have trouble at many point, only genius team like scavier can achieve something good with tiny resource ( also in visual side there is still some problem due of that ).

anyway good luck.
Here's an InSim packet that I'd like to see. IS_TRE (Tire)

struct ISP_TRE
{
byte Size; // 8
byte Type; // ISP_TRE
byte SubT; // Always 0
byte PLID; // Player ID of Client in Question

// Followings Byte's Value is From Contact Patch Defines;
byte DSF; // Driver Side Front
byte DSR; // Driver Side Rear
byte PSF; // Passenger Side Front
byte PSR; // Passenger Side Rear
}

#define TRE_TARMAC; // 0 - sent by the layout loading system only
#define TRE_OOB; // 1 - Tire is out of track bounds.
#define TRE_RUMBLE; // 2 - Tire on Rumble Strip.
#define TRE_GRASS; // 4 - Tire is on Grass.
#define TRE_SAND; // 8 - Tire is on Sand.

This packet would only be sent when there is a change of state. Could use useful for making a smarter lap invalidation system within an InSim application, outside of checking the client's cords being in the track's path. Mainly also useful on X and Y configs where there are no paths by default, we can then use this information as a backup.
Frame rates
Regarding frame rates, i run a laptop with nvidia 670mx 3gb GDDR5 and i7 3630qm and 16gb 1600mhz ram. when running games i have performance and battery settings for performance, so i got:

110fps with patch F
120fps with patch F2.

HOWEVER. after prolonged running of LFS, i.e. above 5 hours give or take, framerate drops to 45fps. obviously i can fix this by restarting LFS, but that's not the point here. after this point, it randomly decides to run at 45fps or 120fps. and its a minimum of 5 mins while switching back and forth. i've noticed that this happens even more frequently when i run LFS between 5 and 9 hours. after 12 hours however, problems go away. AFAIK.

this be my report for your test patch scawen
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG