The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
Haven't tested yet but I guess it's too much to expect an FPS improvement on open layouts? (Since I seem to recall that LFS is CPU-bound in that case.)

But FPS improvements are always good, and am looking to trying the cross-eyed 3D
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :Bought them for cinema use and it looks like they will remain for cinema use only. Thanks Dave

Hmm I've spoken too soon... You can also use it for tv's. Active 3D tv's like this one for example; http://www.lg.com/nl/televisies/lg-60PH6608-pentouch-tv ... Seems it requires 600 Hz? I don't know, no experience.

* Going to order a pack of anaglyph glasses to see what you are seeing :P

I've played the same replay (BLGP, 1 lap, full grid of XRT AIs) on 0.6F and 0.6F2 while measuring framerate with FRAPS benchmarking tool. Here are the results:

0.6F
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
18064, 149152, 53, 361, 121.111

0.6F2
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
21710, 149448, 73, 372, 145.268

That's a ~17% improvement in performance without any quality loss. Well done Scawen

i5 750@3.2Ghz, GTX560ti, 8gb DDR3 CL8, Windows 7 64bit
Quote from cargame.nl :Hmm I've spoken too soon... You can also use it for tv's. Active 3D tv's like this one for example; http://www.lg.com/nl/televisies/lg-60PH6608-pentouch-tv ... Seems it requires 600 Hz? I don't know, no experience.

My TV is quite old and doesn't support that kind of stuff, but its good to know in case i get rich.

Quote from cargame.nl :* Going to order a pack of anaglyph glasses to see what you are seeing :P

Yeah, its definitely something worth trying, especially when you feel like you're in a fishtank using cockpit view.

Be aware that the colours become kinda dull because of the filters, but its still cool.
This is probably minor, because I use lot of outdated SW and I don't play LFS anyway, but new shaders don't work correctly with my linux+wine+gpu combination:

kernel 3.8.0-35 (Kubuntu 13.04, already not supported)
wine-1.4.1
AMD ATI Thames [Radeon 7550M/7570M/7650M] (kernel module "radeon")
+ integrated Intel Sandybridge something

looks like the 3D is running at open source radeon driver I think (and far from latest version).
But the old E17 without complex shaders did work OK.

Attaching 0.6F2 pics.

I think whoever does use linux to play LFS should test this new shader ASAP, hopefully it will work fine with more fresh SW stack.
Attached images
lfs_00000004.jpg
lfs_00000003.jpg
Problems ...problems
Just patched LFS to 0.6F2 and this is what i got:

nvm fixed.
Quote from Lonni_88 :Just patched LFS to 0.6F2 and this is what i got:

Well ... download the newest crack here and it will work : https://www.lfs.net/?page=shop
EDIT: Looks like you removed the pictures, but you failed so hard. Westhill, on a cracked server (AFAIK SCS is that), .vob mod (?, dunno it's so weird) with a demo license. Well played. His original post: http://i.imgur.com/JYxb7Si.png, and the links to the pictures: http://postimg.org/image/5jkk9tjj1/, http://postimg.org/image/l7lrglz4t/, http://postimg.org/image/ubk6h20pp/
But hey, this isn't about the new test patch. Delete these 2 posts, ban him and let's get back on topic
Quote from MandulAA :Well ... download the newest crack here and it will work : https://www.lfs.net/?page=shop
EDIT: Looks like you removed the pictures, but you failed so hard. Westhill, on a cracked server (AFAIK SCS is that), .vob mod (?) with a demo license. Well played. His original post: http://i.imgur.com/JYxb7Si.png, and the links to the picture: http://postimg.org/image/5jkk9tjj1/, http://postimg.org/image/l7lrglz4t/, http://postimg.org/image/ubk6h20pp/
But hey, this isn't about the new test patch. Delete these 2 posts and ban him and let's get back on topic

I'm not trying to fail or win anything ,
Quote from Lonni_88 :I'm not trying to fail or win anything ,

you are doing a good job failing though
Greetings to Eric. If any value outside 30-70 mm range is entered to interpupillary distance setting, LFS disappears instantly.
0.6F2 works fine on my Linux install, with wine 1.4.1, and nvidia 319.82 drivers.
There is a FPS increase in 2D, it goes up to 150 FPS (earlier not more than 100), but I get very low FPS in 3D red-cyan option, only 15-20 FPS even if no AA . Was that to be expected?
My short tests show a small but notable FPS increase:
+ 10-15% in the middle of the full grid (from multiplayer replay)
+ ~8% with only one car, sitting in cockpit (hotlap mode)
these result enabled me to reduce the reduction of the Dynamic LOD setting from 0.50 to 0.25, improving the appearance of cars further away while still having good FPS!
If I'm allowed to make a tiny comment about the Dynamic LOD reduction (Misc option): since it's about reducing the reduction of graphic quality it is the only slider which improves game appearance by moving it to the left side, which caused some funny outcomes. Some guys, with powerful PCs, ... e right side intuitively!. I was wondering if that slider could be switched around at some point, and call it just "Dynamic LOD"?

Aside of that mip bias for interface / text bug Flame mentioned, I haven't noticed any problems so far.

Reading Whiskey's post got me motivated to search for my own red-cyan glasses which i knew i had... somewhere, just to see this 3D effect of which i thought nothing off having never experienced seeing any kind of 3D with them before (not that i didn't try).
And boy I am GLAD i searched and found them! This thing is on PAR with seeing Avatar 3D in cinema . I was a little kid again, opening his present on a Christmas morning! It is unreal how real the 3D looks, I never knew RAC had those paddles behind the wheel until i saw them in 3D, they looked like aesthetic part of a dashboard before... lol. And only with a pair of different colored transparent plastic. The glasses haven't changed in all those years so they could have not affect this awesome effect; it must be the thoughtful way how it is implemented in LFS. Thanks so MUCH! I am eying an Oculus from now!

Only problem I have with it is the slight headache after using it for about 30+ minutes and short psychedelic sensation after taking them off . In addition, I had issues setting those two 3D sliders correctly so that the two images overlap perfectly. I could get the area close to me align but then the far away stuff gets miss-aligned and vice-versa.
It looks best when I use default screen width of 1440 mm (if i set to my own actual width of around 500 mm it only gets much worse). It seems only way to align everything would be if I could set interpupillary distance to 0 mm, but that doesn't make sense.
Don't know what to do, how to set those two things so they work together? Can anyone recommend some advice please.
Tested Red-Cyan glasses.
It's hard to get eyes used to true screen width (23" on-desk lcd ~510mm width). Less than natural pupils spacing set doesn't make much difference.
Interiors and flying cones&tyres looks awesome!

It's easier to get used (feels like eyes need to be crossed in red-cyan mode too), and with less red artifacts over 1000mm, and even close to 5000mm screen width, but perhaps 3D effect is worse.

On a side note, I'm not sure, if new 3D modes need some 'medical' warning or somtheing? Just in case?
Quote from sermilan :There is a FPS increase in 2D, it goes up to 150 FPS (earlier not more than 100), but I get very low FPS in 3D red-cyan option, only 15-20 FPS even if no AA . Was that to be expected?

Same here:
Up to 90 FPS (70 FPS before) in 2D, but only 15 FPS in 3D red-cyan.

/Request

As I enjoy driving against AI, it would be nice to have some changes to the single-player setup screen, so you can easily change the car, setup and skill level of each AI driver. (See image)
Currently it is possible to do this, but it is very annoying.
Attached images
setup_screen.png
I noticed one weird thing I have never noticed before - occasionly the interface (seen in chat or connections list) gets blurry for a very short time. I use -1.5 mip bias (while everything else is maxxed out to other direction) to have it sharp and clear,but these occasional blurrs makes it look like 0.0 mip bias. I haven't noticed any patterns when it happens,seemed like when the viewed car goes under something that throws shadow on road,but intentional driving under them didn't gave me that effect. Maybe someone else can confirm?
I can confirm with what Eclipsed mentioned above, I also experienced blurry interface chat for a very short time.
I reported it here yesterday
#45 - tpa
Just tried the cross-eyed view. The cockpit looked pretty cool, but I didn't manage to get a great feeling of depth much further out. It did a good job of hyping me up even further for the Oculus Rift, though!

Also nice work with the FPS improvements! After playing other sims LFS just always feels that much smoother
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I'm pleased it seems to work so well for most people!

Quote from MandulAA :My FPS test results - see below. Tried the red-cyan 3D ... what can I say? It's awesome!

EDIT: I just don't understand Horizontal screen width. My screen is 44,2 cm wide. If I set that to 442 mm (which should be 44,2 cm), the 3D is so weird and unplayable. If I set it to 1442 mm, it's great. Am I missing something?

Did you try (with width set to 442mm) a lower IPD, like 30mm? I am surprised by how well the 3D works with a smaller IPD than reality, and how hard it is to see when the IPD is close to real values.

One other thing, have you tried a low FOV? I'm thinking that maybe the correct IPD and screen width only work if the FOV is real too. Maybe when your FOV setting is higher than the true FOV offered by your screen, then you need to use smaller IPD or greater screen width.

IPD affects two things - it defines the separation of distant objects on your screen, and also is used to position in the in-game eye-cameras each frame. Using a greater screen width, without reducing IPD can be used as trick to decrease the image separation on your screen, while still placing the eye-cameras in game to a realistic IPD.

Quote from Ped7g :This is probably minor, because I use lot of outdated SW and I don't play LFS anyway, but new shaders don't work correctly with my linux+wine+gpu combination:

kernel 3.8.0-35 (Kubuntu 13.04, already not supported)
wine-1.4.1
AMD ATI Thames [Radeon 7550M/7570M/7650M] (kernel module "radeon")
+ integrated Intel Sandybridge something

looks like the 3D is running at open source radeon driver I think (and far from latest version).
But the old E17 without complex shaders did work OK.

Attaching 0.6F2 pics.

I think whoever does use linux to play LFS should test this new shader ASAP, hopefully it will work fine with more fresh SW stack.

Yes, I'm interested to hear from Linux users or anyone else who has a problem with this version. At the moment I am using shader versions ps_2_0 and vs_2_0 - I don't know if that is the best version to use, but it seemed a good idea at the time, maybe because it was in some of the example code I was looking at. But I haven't really researched that properly.

Quote from hackerx :Greetings to Eric. If any value outside 30-70 mm range is entered to interpupillary distance setting, LFS disappears instantly.

Mine just says "New value is too low" or "New value is too high".

Quote from PeterN :0.6F2 works fine on my Linux install, with wine 1.4.1, and nvidia 319.82 drivers.

Good, thanks. Hope to hear from more Linux users soon...

Quote from Major Pain :Same here:
Up to 90 FPS (70 FPS before) in 2D, but only 15 FPS in 3D red-cyan.

The people who have such low frame rate in red-cyan mode, could you try with the Anaglyph.psh from the attached zip? It goes in your data\shaders folder, overwriting the original. It uses vector operations to do the pixel calculation more quickly, which may possibly help on slightly older cards. Not sure if the compiler could figure out that optimisation anyway, but this is worth a try.
Attached files
Anaglyph.zip - 1.2 KB - 476 views
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :My TV is quite old and doesn't support that kind of stuff, but its good to know in case i get rich.

I don't even have a TV (neither desire one)

Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :
Yeah, its definitely something worth trying, especially when you feel like you're in a fishtank using cockpit view.

Eehh yeah. I do. But I think that also got to do with the movement of the car chassis. Not sure. I have no problems in car @AC. Don't know exactly why this is.

Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :Be aware that the colours become kinda dull because of the filters, but its still cool.

Hmm depends also on the monitor I guess. I have an extraordinary expensive screen which is called dreamcolor and it depends also on the used glasses I've read. The red/cyan quality differs from glasses to glasses.
I don't have the glasses so I can't be sure, but I suspect those IPD and screen measurements will only work with a more accurate FOV. But most people don't drive with an accurate FOV and stick to 90 or more to get an artificial feeling of speed.

Anaglyph mode doesn't support multiple monitors either (so no angle or bezel compensation), so even though I do use 3 monitors with a more-or-less correct FOV, it's not going to work here. Yet.
Quote from Scawen :
Mine just says "New value is too low" or "New value is too high".

When just entering 3D mode in dialog right click IPD and set value outside range, LFS crashes

BTW my FPS
2D - 151 FPS
old file - 77 FPS
new file - 79 FPS
in 2D + 20fps it seems (LFS counter : average values seen)
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG