The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Neilser :Your sound card doesn't let you do it via the mixer??
(Oh hang on - I seem to recall they hid the balance options stupidly deeply starting on Win7, but it's still there... Somewhere under advanced properties or something insane.)

Yeah, i already use this, but its hard to find the Optimum, when Sound is not live... and this mini slider is not accurate enough
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :Yeah, i already use this, but its hard to find the Optimum, when Sound is not live... and this mini slider is not accurate enough

When I'm adjusting balance, I just keep hitting the slider (it goes ping each time) until I get it right. Possibly the Win7 improvements broke the ping too?
Quote from Scawen :WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

NOTE : THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW TYRE PHYSICS OR ANY NEW CONTENT

PLEASE TEST BEFORE YOU POST

NO OFF-TOPIC FEATURE REQUESTS

NO UNRELATED COMMENTS

Hello Racers, here is a new TEST PATCH : 0.6F2

This test patch is fully compatible with version 0.6F

It contains some fixes, two new 3D modes and draws cars in a single pass, improving frame rate when many cars are visible.

You cannot upload hotlaps made with this test patch because it is only a test patch, not an official patch

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from 0.6F so you can easily go back if there are any problems

Changes from 0.6F to 0.6F2 :

Two new 3D formats in TV / monitor /projector mode :

- red-cyan anaglyph
cheap red-cyan glasses are required
more expensive glasses can correct red (left) eye focus
colour perception is reduced and different in each eye
do not use this mode for a long time

- cross-eyed view
no equipment needed
the 3D world appears small
right eye looks at left image / left eye looks at right image
this is difficult for some people (with normal vision)
stop immediately if you feel any discomfort
do not use this mode for a long time

Skin downloading when watching a replay :

If a car or helmet skin in a replay is not available at LFS World
when you start the replay (with low or high res skins selected)
but you already have the skin in the other resolution then that
skin in the other resolution will be used instead of a plain car

Fixes :

Crash when using a wheel button assigned to /rift toggle command
Crash when pressing e.g. F8 when /press F8 was assigned to F8 key

Graphics :

New car shaders give higher frame rate when many cars on screen
FIX : Car lighting momentarily vertical as car entered a shadow

Misc :

Updated Estonian and Serbian translations

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS :

A full version of LFS 0.6F must already be installed - www.lfs.net

To install the PATCH using the SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
4) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

NOTE : You can see if the patch is correctly installed when you run
the program. At the bottom of the entry screen : 0.6F2

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE) (if you already have 0.6F) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6F_TO_6F2.exe (0.9 MB)

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (ALTERNATIVE ZIP) (if you already have 0.6E) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6F_TO_6F2.zip (0.9 MB)

I like the new test patch, Its clean and not so hard on my PC like before. I learned that While on Wifi LFS will Drop Frame Rate by 10% Expacially when near Other Players. I usually play on the [WKD] Cruise Server when not playing on Cargame.nl and WKD has a lot of Objects unlike Cargame.nl where there are more players that Objects. Mostly on a Ethernat Cord is where I usually stay at 90 frames per Second and it stays like that for most of the time. my PC specs are as followed

Intel Core i7 Proccesor
Nivida GeForce GTX 770
Windows 8.1 64x bit

And I can acually play Minecraft while playing LFS now and Record With Fraps.
It's great that you put the optional anaglyph mode in LFS!

Can anybody explain how to edit "Anaglyph.psh" to make it work with magenta-green glasses as well? I don't quite understand how to work with this file ...
Quote from smove :It's great that you put the optional anaglyph mode in LFS!

Can anybody explain how to edit "Anaglyph.psh" to make it work with magenta-green glasses as well? I don't quite understand how to work with this file ...

Well, a simple and probably nasty version might go like this...

The most basic red-cyan code at the top of the psh file (NB: "bad retinal rivalry (brightness conflicts)" - hence it's not the version in use) looks like this:
// Out.Colour.r = L.r; // r = red from left eye
// Out.Colour.g = R.g; // g = green from right eye
// Out.Colour.b = R.b; // b = blue from right eye
// Out.Colour.a = 1.0f;

I imagine you could simply uncomment that and tweak it to read:
// want green from left, magenta (i.e. red + blue) from right:
Out.Colour.r = R.r; // r = red from right eye
Out.Colour.g = L.g; // g = green from left eye
Out.Colour.b = R.b; // b = blue from right eye
Out.Colour.a = 1.0f;
return Out;

That might be good enough to try. Fine-tuning it to mix the colours a bit more (like the Dubois versions at the bottom of the file) would require more head-scratching but should cause fewer headaches

Um, I shuda checked Dubois' website before posting
See https://www.flickr.com/photos/e_dubois/5132528166/
Thanks, I found quite some bits as well. The values found here work good for a start in green/magenta. Needs some fine tuning for everyone's screen and glasses, though.

In short, this is what to put in your anaglyph.psh:

Out.Colour.r = L.r * -0.062f + L.g * -0.158f + L.b * -0.039f + R.r * 0.529f + R.g * 0.705f + R.b * 0.024f;
Out.Colour.g = L.r * 0.284f + L.g * 0.668f + L.b * 0.143f + R.r * -0.016f + R.g * -0.015f + R.b * -0.065f;
Out.Colour.b = L.r * -0.015f + L.g * -0.027f + L.b * 0.021f + R.r * 0.009f + R.g * 0.075f + R.b * 0.937f;
Out.Colour.a = 1.0f;

Edit: @Neilser: Great minds think alike, don't they?
I'd just like to mention on thing (bug?) in IS_VER.

struct IS_VER // VERsion
{
byte Size; // 20
byte Type; // ISP_VERSION
byte ReqI; // ReqI as received in the request packet
byte Zero;

char Version[8]; // LFS version, e.g. 0.3G
[B]char Product[6]; // Product : DEMO or S1[/B]
word InSimVer; // InSim Version : increased when InSim packets change
};

When connect insim to LFS client IS_VER reports currently unlocked licence level right, however if you are connected to a demo server it will report Product as DEMO. Not sure if there is a reason for that
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :When connect insim to LFS client IS_VER reports currently unlocked licence level right, however if you are connected to a demo server it will report Product as DEMO. Not sure if there is a reason for that

I assume it reports the level of content that is available at that time. If you're connected to a demo server, there's no point in the InSim trying to do something with S1/S2 content that it has no access to.

Knowing the /mode setting of the server could be useful to automatically reduce functionality of the InSim app to what is actually usable.
Quote :When using your coefficent matrix for optimized red/cyan anaglyphs usually (by StPhM) a gamma correction of 0.9 for the left image and 1.25 for the right image is recommended

( https://www.flickr.com/photos/ ... 230654930/in/photostream/ )

I don't know if LFS is doing this but can Gamma correction be controlled by adding something to anaglyph.psh ?
Quote from Degats :I assume it reports the level of content that is available at that time. If you're connected to a demo server, there's no point in the InSim trying to do something with S1/S2 content that it has no access to.

Knowing the /mode setting of the server could be useful to automatically reduce functionality of the InSim app to what is actually usable.

Yeah, it looks so.
But IMO the word Product does not mean Content, or I'm wrong

Anyway, Content of server can easily be retrieved using LFSW, but users licence level not. Idea is to know exact licence level of client and therefore show only accessible servers in program's server list. There are already filters by content level, but I don't have info how to set them.
Hi Scawen,

first of all thanks for the great updates coming, I dont care if its capitalist reasons behind it or not.

I also had an increase from 60fps to 80fps. But more importantly, I felt that higher ingame AA values are more easily achieved with less negative FPS impact. Might be illusion though.

With Red-Cyan 3D mode, frames drop to 35 per second. But thats expected, right?

I am on a i3 with HD4000 Intel graphics on windows 8.1 and 1920*1080.

Keep it up please. I think like for many other people, all this made me come back. I actually bought a G27 again and I am racing with my media PC in the living room !
Quote from Major Pain :/Request

As I enjoy driving against AI, it would be nice to have some changes to the single-player setup screen, so you can easily change the car, setup and skill level of each AI driver. (See image)
Currently it is possible to do this, but it is very annoying.

+ 1 for the request

@LFS Team : Thanks for these updates, I know you are trying to do 3D stuff, but can you add somes of games shaders in the shaders folder, so we can create our own and improve LFS graphics (to wait for the time your team will do it) ?
Quote from cargame.nl :( https://www.flickr.com/photos/ ... 230654930/in/photostream/ )

I don't know if LFS is doing this but can Gamma correction be controlled by adding something to anaglyph.psh ?

I just checked, and yes, you can do all manner of non-linear stuff using functions available to the pixel shaders. But doing it one pixel at a time seems likely to be very slow.
You are specifically thinking of the 3D mode though? (Different gamma for each side, thus can't use a global gamma in the card settings.) If so, I guess you could just try it in the shader file, and if that sucks for performance then LFS would need to do the rendering with a different gamma on each side...
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Yeah, it looks so.

Anyway, Content of server can easily be retrieved using LFSW, but users licence level not. Idea is to know exact licence level of client and therefore show only accessible servers in program's server list. There are already filters by content level, but I don't have info how to set them.

Product means content level, ie Demo/S1/S2, that's pretty much what I meant by content.

If I understand correctly, the server mode restricts the specific content that can be loaded on that server. As it's fairly common for InSim to be setting things like cars & track (yes, even client side InSim if it's a helper program for admins) it would be important for an InSim app with that functionality to be aware of what can and can't be loaded.

I guess it could be useful to have an additional field to report the licence level of a client, but the two would certainly mean different things.
(Either way, we're getting rather off-topic here )
Quote from Neilser :But doing it one pixel at a time seems likely to be very slow.

So influencing colors is not a problem but gamma is? Hmm OK, well.. I have zero experience with that. All I know is that gamma has influence on the 3D picture quality/experience. The issue I have is that I can change gamma for the RGB channels but its for both images at the same time. Now I wonder what happens if gamma of separate images can be influenced.

Maybe nothing

It's more or less a poor mans 3D mode anyway but, still nice to convince others (and myself :facepalm that 3D in a racing sim actually is better.
Quote from cargame.nl :So influencing colors is not a problem but gamma is? Hmm OK, well.. I have zero experience with that. All I know is that gamma has influence on the 3D picture quality/experience. The issue I have is that I can change gamma for the RGB channels but its for both images at the same time. Now I wonder what happens if gamma of separate images can be influenced.

Maybe nothing

It's more or less a poor mans 3D mode anyway but, still nice to convince others (and myself :facepalm that 3D in a racing sim actually is better.

Haven't found my 3D glasses yet so I've yet to experience how good/bad it is
As for the gamma thing, what I meant was that it's likely to be computationally expensive - instead of just a few multiply and add operations, you need to create a non-linear mapping between the input and output values (using x^y for example). Doing that on a per-pixel basis seems hugely sub-optimal. However, since I haven't tried it, I can't be sure it would be slow enough to be a problem so wth, why not give it a shot
Quote from Scawen :I've fixed that and the text mip bias thing.

It looks like AF setting does not have effect on the car texture in F2:

(using 0.0 mip bias on objects, 16x AF)

Attached images
skin_noaf.jpg
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Yeah, it looks so.

theres is a command to retrieve license held by a racer, il need to go through my old emails to find the one i was sent which told me of the command

EDIT : checked and the command just tells you if they are licensed and not at what level they licensed (s1 or s2)

in regards to this patch ive tried with the 3d glasses and it works well for me with no noticable fps drop
No there is not officially.
Probably you mean output of !pl in Airio, that is not exactly accurate as any racer with more than 6 PBs is licenced. There are S2 users with <6 PBs, as well as demo users with xx PBs.
I've never seen LFS run like that, really no latency in the "game play" as always and the fluidity is an unrivaled from this patch.
Really bravo to all the team for the work you have done for this game
I'm really excited to see the S3 because the adventure continues
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :can lfs even run on macs? just curious. nothing serious if so. can someone pm me how to set it up please?

I think this is done through Wine, as it is on Linux.

Quote from THE WIZARD DK :i have a old nvidia card i think 7600GT which is running lfs fine.. im not sure if it uses shader model 2 or 3 tho.. but it usually runs lfs and also games like two worlds fine without lag and such.. i would be disapointed if i could not run lfs on it

We will not break compatibility with Shader Model 2 cards at this time. I'm planning to add a SM3 option for people who want to experiment with shaders.

Maybe I'll need SM3 in future. There's a lot to be done with shaders so I'm going to be learning more about what you can do with the different Shader Models, and also a clearer picture will emerge about how many people really do have cards that can't do SM3. At the moment it appears that "some" people do have SM2 cards but we don't really know how many.
Quote from the wizard dk :i have a old nvidia card i think 7600gt which is running lfs fine.. Im not sure if it uses shader model 2 or 3 tho..

SM 3.0

Basically anything from late-2005 onwards is pretty much guaranteed to be SM3 compatible.
Quote from Scawen :At the moment it appears that "some" people do have SM2 cards but we don't really know how many.

Scawen - are you actively against the idea of LFS sending PC information back to base (e.g. CPU id and speed, OS, RAM, GPU)?
Or perhaps it's just not a priority?

(The subject keeps coming up but I don't remember ever noticing you comment on it one way or another - apologies if I've missed it.)
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :No there is not officially.
Probably you mean output of !pl in Airio, that is not exactly accurate as any racer with more than 6 PBs is licenced. There are S2 users with <6 PBs, as well as demo users with xx PBs.

I mean the following

/w is_licensed USERNAME
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG