The online racing simulator
Quote from Flame CZE :One thing I find a bit disappointing and strange about the tracks in LFS, are the spectators. Most grandstands are empty. In my opinion, they should be full, at least in the race mode.

If Eric decides to fill these, it would be a cool thing if we can send him photos of us, so that he fills the grandstands with people who really drives and likes LFS.

(I think there are enough people here in the forum that will help with the preparation of the photos like cut-out, etc)
Quote from Brilwing :If Eric decides to fill these, it would be a cool thing if we can send him photos of us, so that he fills the grandstands with people who really drives and likes LFS.

(I think there are enough people here in the forum that will help with the preparation of the photos like cut-out, etc)

If you put lots of dekos in there, you can like half the amount of people
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :If you put lots of dekos in there, you can like half the amount of people

No, you can't cut the amount of people in half if you use me, I'm not that fat
character design?

i guess we will see some chick on the pit wall flashing boobs to distract us from the holy purpose of driving?
I peek in after many moons (as I usually do to creep around for new stuff) and now Eric posts? And hypes up new tire physics? Am I dreaming? :eye-poppi

Choo-choo mothertrucker!
Quote from Eric :I’ve been testing with the new tyre physics for a few years now

Jesus H Christ
Quote from eobet :Jesus H Christ

Have to say I was surprised nobody made a big deal about that comment too.

I'd love to see some videos of it in action, until now we've just had those few screenshots right?

Scawen/Eric, is there any chance you could release a video with a full lap onboard and the same lap from replay cameras? A side-by-side synchronized video would be perfect.
Quote from RadEd :Have to say I was surprised nobody made a big deal about that comment too.[..]

I took it as Eric's provocative sarcasm, so only lol'ed and moved on .

Regardless, I'd love to see a/some video(s) as suggested.. .
Thank you in advance devs, should you decide to do it
#60 - troy
I don't think we would see much in videos, after all it's supposed to be a subtle change in tyre physics not a complete overhaul, I think we where already in the ballpark with the tyres we drive right now they just needed some work in certain areas. Of course it took a long time but the end result should look pretty similar but feel better I guess?

I wouldn't mind a video driving on new westhill with the added bonus of physics though.
I think you've nailed it there - the new physics will result in a far more accurate feel to the sim, but you wouldn't be able to tell that from a video. You don't look at a LFS video made with the existing physics and think it looks inaccurate

Would love to see a lap of westhill though.
No, it's much too subtle. What Eric is talking about is something you can feel, but not see.

In my words, just as I've said before, the new tyres feel better to drive. I think it's because of the physical model used to combined the lateral and longitudinal forces.

It's not something you can see. There are terrible flaws with the new tyre system, relating to pressure, temperature, load sensitivity. It's unfinished work. It's something I want to get finished. I can't make any more comments on the subject at this time.
Scawen, if they "feel great", but "there are terrible flaws" then how would you know if the end product will be the same when you fix these flaws? You may fix them and the tyres feel terrible. Then what... back to stage 1? I and I'm sure many others would rather see some new tracks in the meantime...
Quote from Scawen :
It's not something you can see. There are terrible flaws with the new tyre system, relating to pressure, temperature, load sensitivity. It's unfinished work. It's something I want to get finished. I can't make any more comments on the subject at this time.

Fair enough, a completely justifiable reply.

I admire the fact you are such a perfectionist and that you would rather have a complete product be released than something with, as you say, 'terrible flaws'. It's great to hear that the feel of the new tyre model is fantastic, and I wish you all the best of luck in trying to balance everything else.

In terms of the original post, it very much sounds like Eric has spent his time wisely and made further fictional tracks. I could obviously be fantasising here but I'm sure I'm not. It's great to see more interactivity from the development team and the community!
Quote from Scawen :No, it's much too subtle. What Eric is talking about is something you can feel, but not see.

In my words, just as I've said before, the new tyres feel better to drive. I think it's because of the physical model used to combined the lateral and longitudinal forces.

Understood, I just (possibly wrongly) assumed there would be at least some noticeable difference in the way the cars reacted that would be visible, particularly in replays under heavy loads or running over curbs etc.

I'm sure the new tyre model will be worth the wait.
Quote from Eric :
As a side note, I have no idea how the revised Westhill will drive with the old tyre physics that you guys are using. I’ve been testing with the new tyre physics for a few years now and I refuse to drive the old one, which has just doesn’t have that visceral tyre feel and response compared to the new tyre physics.

Eric

Damn that is a good teaser!
Quote from Bmxtwins :I and I'm sure many others would rather see some new tracks in the meantime...

If only anyone had said a word in the last 6 (7?) years.

FYI, its not Scawen who does the tracks, so i think you're talking to the wrong person. Eric talks, so maybe you should talk to him?

(not to mention that it was explained many times what the plans are and why it is how it is now)
Somebody should get Vic to post in this thread. All 3 devs talking in one thread must be a record, so then I have an excuse to eat copious amounts of cake.
Quote from Bob Smith :Somebody should get Vic to post in this thread. All 3 devs talking in one thread must be a record, so then I have an excuse to eat copious amounts of cake.

Yeah, it should be a record

Anyway, Vic, how is "the brew of your own" doing? It must be in a good shape now An extensive progress report on it isnt needed, 1 or 2 sentences are enough.
Quote from Bob Smith :Somebody should get Vic to post in this thread. All 3 devs talking in one thread must be a record, so then I have an excuse to eat copious amounts of cake.

Haha, Bob right! How can we get him?

Victor, how is life?

Ok that was probably to random.

I thought it would be an excuse to drink copious amounts of Newcastle Brown... or is no excuse needed for that?
Not had a bottle in years, but then I don't live there anymore. Maybe I should pick up a bottle or two for the weekend so I can reminisce.
Mmh I am still waiting for someone to rebuild Blackwood in real life
I consider this layout one of the best, because it is so simple, yet you can pass nearly everywhere.

Also, I really like the S1 tracks, specially fern bay with all the tricky turns and bumps, and probably because they give the most track day feeling, combined with the normal road cars.

About "talent" and such: I thought I was good at doing art back then when I made LFSW with Vic, but once I got more into programming at university, it turned out that I am several magnitudes better there... So Eric, whatever you thought you were good at, keep doing what you do now - the sky is the limit
Quote from ORION :Mmh I am still waiting for someone to rebuild Blackwood in real life
I consider this layout one of the best, because it is so simple, yet you can pass nearly everywhere.

Agreed. I love the flow in sector 2 and 3. It's really matching the elevation changes well in particular. Great fun to drive with GTRs or the FO8.

The old version I found a bit frustrating personally, a bit too stop-and-start for my liking, but Eric did a good job with the new one, a bit narrower, faster, and more flowing Even if it meant the demise of the chicane tree unfortunately(which shall rest in peace alongside the good old VIR oak tree).

Quote from ORION :Also, I really like the S1 tracks, specially fern bay with all the tricky turns and bumps, and probably because they give the most track day feeling, combined with the normal road cars.

Yea, S1 tracks have that nice "old school" feel to them... I still like S2 tracks of course, but find them a bit sterile and oversized in comparison - most of them were clearly made for the new S2 cars which were mostly faster, granted.
Quote from Flame CZE :One thing I find a bit disappointing and strange about the tracks in LFS, are the spectators. Most grandstands are empty. In my opinion, they should be full, at least in the race mode.

I dunno about you, but when I drive all grandstands are absolutely full. Probably your driving isn't that interesting.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG