TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

NOTE : THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW TYRE PHYSICS OR ANY NEW CONTENT

PLEASE TEST BEFORE YOU POST

NO OFF-TOPIC FEATURE REQUESTS

NO UNRELATED COMMENTS

Hello Racers, here is a new TEST PATCH : 0.6F2

This test patch is fully compatible with version 0.6F

It contains some fixes, two new 3D modes and draws cars in a single pass, improving frame rate when many cars are visible.

You cannot upload hotlaps made with this test patch because it is only a test patch, not an official patch

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from 0.6F so you can easily go back if there are any problems

Changes from 0.6F to 0.6F2 :

Two new 3D formats in TV / monitor /projector mode :

- red-cyan anaglyph
cheap red-cyan glasses are required
more expensive glasses can correct red (left) eye focus
colour perception is reduced and different in each eye
do not use this mode for a long time

- cross-eyed view
no equipment needed
the 3D world appears small
right eye looks at left image / left eye looks at right image
this is difficult for some people (with normal vision)
stop immediately if you feel any discomfort
do not use this mode for a long time

Skin downloading when watching a replay :

If a car or helmet skin in a replay is not available at LFS World
when you start the replay (with low or high res skins selected)
but you already have the skin in the other resolution then that
skin in the other resolution will be used instead of a plain car

Fixes :

Crash when using a wheel button assigned to /rift toggle command
Crash when pressing e.g. F8 when /press F8 was assigned to F8 key

Graphics :

New car shaders give higher frame rate when many cars on screen
FIX : Car lighting momentarily vertical as car entered a shadow

Misc :

Updated Estonian and Serbian translations

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS :

A full version of LFS 0.6F must already be installed - www.lfs.net

To install the PATCH using the SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
4) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

NOTE : You can see if the patch is correctly installed when you run
the program. At the bottom of the entry screen : 0.6F2

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE) (if you already have 0.6F) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6F_TO_6F2.exe (0.9 MB)

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (ALTERNATIVE ZIP) (if you already have 0.6E) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6F_TO_6F2.zip (0.9 MB)
Will try out the red-cyan mode tomorrow. A quick check proved that it's working here. I will compare the FPS improvements when many cars are on the screen ... tomorrow! Thanks for this fast test patch.
Hi,

did a quick test regarding:
Quote from Scawen :
[...]
Skin downloading when watching a replay :

If a car or helmet skin in a replay is not available at LFS World
when you start the replay (with low or high res skins selected)
but you already have the skin in the other resolution then that
skin in the other resolution will be used instead of a plain car
[...]

Worked well. Tested with the highres option (1024) enabled. Loaded replay. Some skins weren't found and LFS used the lowres skins from HDD instead Thx for patching that.

I also can confirm an increase of FPS with the new patch by roughly 20-45% with about 20 cars in the replay.

Land
I just tried the red-cyan mode but I can't really see the 3D effect. Looks like the blue shades are ok, I mean I can't tell they are there anymore, but the red ones don't seem to "fit in" creating a whole picture. I can clearly see it there (the conture of it? i think?) bugging my eyes and causing me a headacke.

Do I have to adjust the settings somehow? I even checked if I'm using the glasses properly (not the other way around)

I'm sorry but its late and I can't think of another way to explain what I'm seeing. Maybe its just the small display I'm currently on or my eyes are just broken. Or my brain.

I'll test again tomorrow using my huge ass tv.

Also there is indeed more FPS. Tested with a replay of 32 cars from the back of the grid. Can't tell exactly how much because I haven't done a benchmark, but its definitely noticeble.
There are noticeable FPS improvements

LFS bench replay, everything maxed out
2014-07-21 23:12:45 - LFS F2
Frames: 10748 - Time: 107750ms - Avg: 99.749 - Min: 67 - Max: 130

2014-07-21 23:31:13 - LFS
Frames: 9518 - Time: 108436ms - Avg: 87.775 - Min: 58 - Max: 115

FPS isn't improved only in case of many cars on screen. FPS in cockpit view (one car) is improved greatly as well.
In 0.6F, cockpit view ~130 FPS, force mode (no cockpit) ~160 FPS.
In 0.6F2, cockpit view ~157 FPS, force mode (no cockpit) ~160 FPS.

BTW, while doing FPS tests (with FRAPS) I encountered crash.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: LFS F2.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 53cd72ad
Fault Module Name: StackHash_b04b
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 16282b50
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1050
Additional Information 1: b04b
Additional Information 2: b04b7e7b24d8c9c72cd5360e03ba4951
Additional Information 3: 3759
Additional Information 4: 3759dfab696958bd9248d3ebf09afea7

I started LFS, then FRAPS, activate LFS window (FPS counter appear), click some other window and crashes (or when return to LFS).
Used FRAPS from lfsbench site : http://lfsbench.iron.eu.org/?c=instructions
Tried multiple times, sometimes happen instantly, sometimes need to wait 5-10s. It will not happen if FRAPS is already running before LFS.
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :I just tried the red-cyan mode but I can't really see the 3D effect. Looks like the blue shades are ok, I mean I can't tell they are there anymore, but the red ones don't seem to "fit in" creating a whole picture. I can clearly see it there (the conture of it? i think?) bugging my eyes and causing me a headacke.

Do I have to adjust the settings somehow? I even checked if I'm using the glasses properly (not the other way around)

Left eye must be red and right eye must be cyan. It can be hard at first, to look "into" the screen. It's easier if at first you use a smaller Interpupillary distance (though this reduces the 3D effect). Then when you are used to it, you can increase the Interpupillary distance, but stay on the safe side, less than the true distance between your pupils. Also make sure you have set your horizontal screen width correctly. One more tip is it's easier to learn to look "into" the screen when the image is moving.
When on track using one of the cockpit views (in car or custom), the interface/text mip filter seems to be set to 0.0 no matter what I set in the Graphics options.
I *might* be crazy, or perhaps this is the part where normal vision comes into play, but I don't see how this cross-eyed 3D thing is supposed to work. How are people to separate where their eyes look?
Quote from Flame CZE :When on track using one of the cockpit views (in car or custom), the interface/text mip filter seems to be set to 0.0 no matter what I set in the Graphics options.

Interesting, will look at that tomorrow.

Quote from boosterfire :I *might* be crazy, or perhaps this is the part where normal vision comes into play, but I don't see how this cross-eyed 3D thing is supposed to work. How are people to separate where their eyes look?

Some people can do this and some can't. Some people can go cross-eyed easily, and some need to look at a finger or pencil that they bring nearer to their eyes. Anyway, if you put LFS in a fairly small window, twice as wide as it is high, in cross-eyed mode, then cross your eyes, at some point while crossing your eyes, your right eye is looking at at the left image and your left eye is looking at the right image. Then some people (including me) can allow the eyes to look at that as if it is a real image. You have to ignore the extra image on each side of that image. The world looks small when you do this. I feel my eyes would go funny if I looked this way for too long.

Cross-eyed 3D is a reasonably popular thing and you can find "jps" images on the internet which are actually jpg images with a right eye view on the left and a left eye view on the right. I have done this as a quick thing that was requested. But I don't recommend you do it for long!
This cross eyed thing, I suppose it would work with a static picture as well? Would someone mind posting a screenshot? I'm really curious but don't have access to a computer at the moment.
Did a quick test with same settings and replay, and the new patch increases about 10 fps. From 40~50 to 50~60, so it looks like a solid 20~25% improvement on my aging computer
Cross-eyed 3D screenshot.
Attached images
lfs_00000030.jpg
Thanks everyone for the testing, pleased it's working well so far.

Quote from DANIEL-CRO :I started LFS, then FRAPS, activate LFS window (FPS counter appear), click some other window and crashes (or when return to LFS).

Does this only happen with 0.6F2 or also with 0.6F?
Welp, I surely couldn't do that for extended periods of time. Anyway, everything gets blurry when I cross my eyes so it doesn't look feasible for me :P Anyway, FPS does seem to have increased from what I can see so far.
Quote from Scawen :
Does this only happen with 0.6F2 or also with 0.6F?

oh, it looks it happen in 0.6F as well

and it looks like it matter which window you click after LFS. In my case it crashes when click on Skype or Visual Studio 2013, but it does not on Word, Excel, Notepad, Windows Explorer, Chrome, ...
Quote from Scawen :Cross-eyed 3D screenshot.

Thanks! I put my finger on the tip of my nose and noticed how the frames started to float together but didnt quite manage to work it out. Then my partner saw me holding my cellphone and finger in such an akward position and obviously wondered what the heck i was doing, haha! I explained and she had a go, and succeeded (allegedly). She said it helped to try to focus a bit in the distance.
I did a test with the red/cyan glasses, it's cool. VERY cool, but now the color of the walls in my house looks funny

Tomorrow I'll do another test, it is worth a headache hahaha
Whoa... Shaders now open. Thank You, Scawen!
FPS is up from 40 at 60~100 now
:cheers:
Thx Scawen

Quote from Scawen :Left eye must be red and right eye must be cyan. It can be hard at first, to look "into" the screen. It's easier if at first you use a smaller Interpupillary distance (though this reduces the 3D effect). Then when you are used to it, you can increase the Interpupillary distance, but stay on the safe side, less than the true distance between your pupils. Also make sure you have set your horizontal screen width correctly. One more tip is it's easier to learn to look "into" the screen when the image is moving.

Ok so I tried this again on a 80cm tv. At first it was kinda hard. Started to see the "3Dness" when I was looking at the dashboard, but I was basicaly seeing double when I was looking at the cars more than 20 meters away ahead of me. I have played a bit with the screen width and interpupillar distance and now I'm just blown off my seat.

It looks amazing!
You actually feel like you're in there and if you reach your hand, you can touch the wheel or the radio. Really cool stuff Scawen

Also the FPS reduces significantly but I think that makes sense since the engine has to render more identical images. I use a 62fps cap anyway when I'm not testing so its fine.

I also have another type of 3D glasses which have no red-cyan lens (3D master image, see attach) and I was just wondering what's the deal with them. Obviously they don't work, but meh.

I'm just gonna have to buy a better version of red-cyans, since these I currently have are made of cardboard LOL.

Thanks again!
Attached images
glasses.jpg
All seems to be working good. I have tried this red-cyan a few years back with the nvidia emulation, and it looked ok also, but now there's better control and directly from inside the game.

Also, beeing "native", now it saves the screenshot in 3D . Thank you
Quote from bogdani.cojocaru :
I also have another type of 3D glasses which have no red-cyan lens (3D master image, see attach) and I was just wondering what's the deal with them. Obviously they don't work, but meh.

Those glasses use light polarization. Only light with a certain (circular) polarization can reach either eye, so that would need a special projector/screen as well, which would emit two different images with two different polarizations, like you can see in 3D cinemas. I'm not an engineer, but I hope I'm right

Edit: ffs, slow typing on mobile and I got beaten by cargame
Oh okay. Well that sorts everything out then. Bought them for cinema use and it looks like they will remain for cinema use only. Thanks Dave

You too Legend
My FPS test results - see below. Tried the red-cyan 3D ... what can I say? It's awesome!

EDIT: I just don't understand Horizontal screen width. My screen is 44,2 cm wide. If I set that to 442 mm (which should be 44,2 cm), the 3D is so weird and unplayable. If I set it to 1442 mm, it's great. Am I missing something? My monitor: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr ... =en&docname=c02022661
Attached images
06f2_fps.png
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F2 (minor update)
(181 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG