The online racing simulator
between the shift + option and apparently still not in Spanish, do not know if this will be in mind that even people of Latin America there playing, that, if they can put you in Spanish the shift + u, forgive my English
Hi lfs.cl.guest1

I'm not really sure what you mean but this Test Patch does have some untranslated lines. The translators have been working on them, so maybe it will be fixed in the next update.

But you can check on this thread where you can talk to the Spanish translator:
https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=85846
Thanks, I'll add that to a small list of things to do after the official version contains this 3D update. In a few days I want to release this as a new official version on our site and that is a better time to spread the word to that site and to OVR Share https://share.oculusvr.com/
Will the official version include Timewarp and other improvements of the preview SDK for lower latency?
No, I don't want to do any more work on the Rift support until I have my own Rift. To support Timewarp means changing the way our Rift support works and without hardware to test it, it could take some time. I don't even want to look into which Windows versions are supported...

I'm one of the first orders so there shouldn't be a long time between anyone getting their DK2, and me releasing at least a DLL to provide basic support, shortly followed by positional tracking and further improvements, hopefully 3D mirrors and so on, possibly Timewarp, but as I say I'm not even going to start looking into how that works now.
Understandable, was just curious.

I do wonder how backwards compatible the DK2 will be for DK1 written applications, I hope it will be able to use the 1080p resolution and just skip the need for positional tracking and fall back for the attitude based headtracking.
Yes, I'm not sure about that.

Actually I have a feeling that it just won't work at all, as in, the current SDK code will simply be unable to recognise the device.

But I am guessing it'll be a very simple matter (e.g. an hour or two) to just recompile with the new SDK in order to provide the old style support for the new device. In LFS's case I could just update the DLL only and release that as a quick fix.

But then it will be seriously temping to jump straight in and do the positional tracking support which will put the feeling of immersion onto a new level, where the world won't appear to be warping if you move your head without changing its orientation. Also I've been imagining proper mirror projections where you can see yourself looking in the mirror...
Quote from Scawen :Also I've been imagining proper mirror projections where you can see yourself looking in the mirror...

That would be very cool, having a virtual camera for each mirror would be costly performance wise, but it's a pretty big deal for VR perception.

There's also the case regarding arm movement in racing sims, it felt a bit strange to change gears while both my hands were continuously on the steering wheel in-game. Delayed shifting animation Assetto Corsa style isn't really the answer either, it feels just as discomforting. It's a tricky situation with no obvious solution yet.

My DK2 should be arriving amongst the first ones aswell, so I'll definitely do some LFS testing with it.
Quote from Matrixi :There's also the case regarding arm movement in racing sims, it felt a bit strange to change gears while both my hands were continuously on the steering wheel in-game. Delayed shifting animation Assetto Corsa style isn't really the answer either, it feels just as discomforting. It's a tricky situation with no obvious solution yet.

https://www.kickstarter.com/pr ... -for-vr-animation-and-mor
Yup, looked in to that and very happy to see it reach the funding goal. Not sure how many people would be willing to pay $600 just for hand tracking though, but atleast there's progress happening in the tracking field.

I was thinking about hacking together a cheap, crude hand tracking rig with couple TrackIR units once the DK2 arrives, but </OT>
Quote from Matrixi :

There's also the case regarding arm movement in racing sims, it felt a bit strange to change gears while both my hands were continuously on the steering wheel in-game. Delayed shifting animation Assetto Corsa style isn't really the answer either, it feels just as discomforting. It's a tricky situation with no obvious solution yet

Sorry for the offtopic

but that is just a matter of adapt yourself to the new animation, almost all racing game with cockpit view have the arm with gear change animation
why in lfs is so complicated to implement this?
Probably only active in Rift mode (and that head tracking device, forgot the name) so I don't understand how you can look forward to this.
For me it's surprising that there are not more people excited about virtual reality in a racing sim. It seems like what LFS has been made for!

However, I'm not going to try and be an Oculus Rift salesman until I've felt the actual experience, and most probably not after that. I'm sure there will be problems at the very least with the low resolution and motion sickness. Or even if you don't feel sick, you still lack any actual feeling of acceleration, so it's clearly not going to be the same as reality.
Scawen, I am mega excited for VR! I cannot wait for it to evolve slightly & think you are right that racing sims (lfs) are the best experience for them. Especially with the dk2 head tracking only working up to 180 degrees or so and still having a wire to the goggles.

I have an oculus rift dk1 which I've tried with lfs and other racing sims. With the resolution that has it is just not possible to pick your braking point as the graphics are too blurred to see. It's not unplayable, but it starts to get annoying that you can't see far ahead clearly enough, almost like my vision has got really bad. So for me the uprated resolution of the dk2 with the addition of head tracking is what I'm very excited about. I think this will be the base for many years to come. Obviously higher res will be welcomed but I do think this will be 'the' starting point for the future of VR. I cannot tell you how different it feels being inside the car rather than looking at it. If you keep your head perfectly still I can get away without feeling too sick but if you move your head a bit I have to stop! Everything I've read about dk2 seems to have solved this. I ordered mine a couple of days after you so hopefully I'm not too far down the list. Happy days ahead.
Quote from Scawen :For me it's surprising that there are not more people excited about virtual reality in a racing sim.

Lot of people reported that the current beta product has not enough pixel density and that an HD version was coming up. No need to invest in a product version which is going to be obsolete soon. A new version is coming up now so lets see what this is going to bring.

Then people need to be able to run it properly, it asks more GPU power if I understood correctly and sadly still a lot of people cannot even run LFS with basic settings in a decent way.

The biggest group of racers/drivers/cruisers is also controlling the car in a casual way, sometimes too lazy to even attach a wheel/pedals. Sitting in a chair with a VR helmet on your head is pretty hardcore, isolating yourself from everything in your surroundings. Luckily this isn't socially accepted yet.. Yet... Because this smartphone addiction is already a step into that direction.
Smartphones... I understand it's useful occasionally to have the internet access wherever you are, and some people have a boring commute to work so it helps, but...

The other day as I approached a roundabout in my car, a woman drove across it perpendicular to me, I saw the glint of something in her hand, then I saw that while steering round the roundabout, using her left hand, she held a phone in that hand and her right hand was operating the touch screen.

Now, it's illegal but the police don't really take it seriously yet for some unknown reason. It's bad enough them talking on a phone while on the straight, they do wander left and right and are terribly distracted... but we are on a new level when idiots like that woman can operate the interface while perfoming a complicated manoeuvre that requires full attention.

I've seen a family in a restaurant and the parents did not say a word, they used facebook the whole time until their food arrived, then ate the food then got straight back on facebook again.
Quote from Inouva :Sorry for the offtopic

but that is just a matter of adapt yourself to the new animation, almost all racing game with cockpit view have the arm with gear change animation
why in lfs is so complicated to implement this?

The problem is in the delay, even if you have a canned shift animation, it's going to happen AFTER you have already changed the gear in real life. For perfect VR perception, the gear change animation would need to happen in sync with your real hands.

It's hard to explain for anyone who hasn't tried VR, but basically if you see your body in virtual reality doing (or not doing) something that your real world body is doing, it's extremely disorientating.
Quote from Alric :Especially with the dk2 head tracking only working up to 180 degrees or so and still having a wire to the goggles.

Last time I chatted with Carmack he said that they are very busy working on bringing multiple tracking camera support for the DK2 and CV1, but it won't be ready for the DK2 launch next month. Once the software is ready, we'll have full 360 degrees of positional tracking, as long as you're willing to buy more tracking cameras.
Quote from Scawen :but we are on a new level when idiots like that woman can operate the interface while perfoming a complicated manoeuvre that requires full attention.

Certainly.. But that is probably only a temporarily problem. Cars expect to be self drivable within a few years, possibly sooner then most expect. I don't want to create any kind of demotivation but that would render driving in LFS pretty nostalgic.

The upcoming generation would probably laugh about it, you needed to drive a car by yourself??
Quote from Matrixi :The problem is in the delay, even if you have a canned shift animation, it's going to happen AFTER you have already changed the gear in real life. For perfect VR perception, the gear change animation would need to happen in sync with your real hands.

It's hard to explain for anyone who hasn't tried VR, but basically if you see your body in virtual reality doing (or not doing) something that your real world body is doing, it's extremely disorientating.

still lfs can have a option to "use new animation with gear change" or "Dont use the new animation style"

i think is not cool to hold back that feature because you dont feel it "right"

So, how you do it in others sims like P.Cars o AC o any other game that have that?, you simply dont play it?, i'm curious
Quote from cargame.nl :Certainly.. But that is probably only a temporarily problem. Cars expect to be self drivable within a few years, possibly sooner then most expect. I don't want to create any kind of demotivation but that would render driving in LFS pretty nostalgic.

The upcoming generation would probably laugh about it, you needed to drive a car by yourself??

Like robots performing all your household chores, I think you may find that takes longer than you think. It's easy enough on well kept roads that really obey some proper rules and have clearly defined lanes and edges. But it's too complicated in some cases, for example the tight country lanes around where I live and we have to frequently pull in to let the oncoming driver pass. And where is the edge of the road? How many slicking out plants should we hit per second and how far should I drive into the muddy puddle with my road tyres before we think we are 'off' the road? It depends on what is coming the other way. How to deal with a cyclist here, a car behind, a school bus coming the other way, pedestrians, a fallen tree... it's really far from practical yet when things are tight, and requires the sort of intelligence that computers just can't do yet.
Quote from Inouva :still lfs can have a option to "use new animation with gear change" or "Dont use the new animation style"

So, how you do it in others sims like P.Cars o AC o any other game that have that?, you simply dont play it?, i'm curious

I turned it off completely, because I find it weird looking at two wheels I even hate the paddle clicking sound, I can hear it once coming from my wheel, why hear it twice?

But for keyboard/mouse drivers it can be more convenient to have it turned on.
Quote from Inouva :still lfs can have a option to "use new animation with gear change" or "Dont use the new animation style"

You seem to be talking about simply having it as a non-VR feature, whereas I'm talking about VR implementation. Sure, there's no reason not to have an AC type delay based shift animation for non-VR users on standard monitors, but somehow I don't think we're going to see such detail in LFS unless there's a specific purpose and reason to have it.

Quote from Inouva :So, how you do it in others sims like P.Cars o AC o any other game that have that?, you simply dont play it?, i'm curious

I haven't had a Rift devkit for ages. And when I did try LFS with it, the support was still based on an unofficial hack involving several third party tools to make it work, AC wasn't even out at the time.

The only thing that VR users can do for now is simply suck it up, and "deal with it" until we get affordable VR gloves which enough developers are willing to support for low latency hand tracking.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E15 (now E19 - DirectX 9 + 3D / VR support)
(136 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG