The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :You may or may not know but the BBC is funded via a licence fee which is mandatory for all UK TV viewers. You simply can't just 'turn over'. The BBC is in effect a publicly owned organisation. So it is stupid to say 'turn over' when you are being forced to fund it.

Oh for ****s sake.

The BBC produce a shitton of programmes. Yes, you're being forced to fund it, but that doesn't mean you're forced to watch everything on it If you dont like a program then the advice was absolutely right...turn over.

Intrepids version of reality:
Do you want our national forced funding television? It reruns tv shows from 25 years ago, haven't produced anything new for 10 years AND it has commercials all day, which it shouldn't cause it's funded. lol, hating on BBC, talk about first world problems.
Out of an interest, what are BBC fees per TV? Cannot find on internet
Quote from Boris Lozac :Do you want our national forced funding television? It reruns tv shows from 25 years ago, haven't produced anything new for 10 years AND it has commercials all day, which it shouldn't cause it's funded. lol, hating on BBC, talk about first world problems.

Don't you **** with me mister! I am not kidding, no I am not, I will god damn tell you what they show on the national channel here (top list, and it's true)

1: A train ride from one part of the country to the other with a camera mounted on the front car. Lastet a whole day!

2: A boat / cruise trip which lasted... god knows, a day or more, and it was shown NON-STOP

But... even tho the channel shows shit, it's without commercials and it does produce some good stuff every now and then. I actually can live with that. I rather pay for something that does not have commercials. Commercials really can get my blood boiling.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Out of an interest, what are BBC fees per TV? Cannot find on internet

£145 per year
Quote from Storm_Cloud :I take offence at self-righteous indignation, which this thread reeks of.

This is basically what happens about every season of Top Gear. Intrepid watches it, has outrage, whines about TV licence.

Every.

Season.

Ad infinitum.
Quote from The Very End :

1: A train ride from one part of the country to the other with a camera mounted on the front car. Lastet a whole day!

2: A boat / cruise trip which lasted... god knows, a day or more, and it was shown NON-STOP

Sorry but that is fckin epic, i would fund the shi* out of that!

We have those during the night, complemented with classical music. My father loves to watch them when he can't sleep :spin:

well .. that sound pretty specific to Norway

Regarding Top Gear: The Botswana Special still stays at the top for me. This was not bad, but during the second part they too often ended up doing crinch-worthy stuff that makes me skip forward.
About the "racism": Top Gear likes to play with stereotypes, yes, but not limited to whatever group or ethnicity, nor themselves.
Quote from amp88 :"Slope" is definitely a well-understood racist term in the UK. I'm not saying everyone in the UK knows it, but it's certainly widespread.

Speak for yourself - literally nobody I've spoken about it with has known that "slope" was a racist term, and nobody realised that it could have had any connotation towards the Asian chap on the bridge, because, hmm I don't know, the bridge was sloping?

Quote from amp88 :I'm a strong believer in political correctness.

Ok. Beigeist.
Quote from piggy501 :Speak for yourself - literally nobody I've spoken about it with has known that "slope" was a racist term, and nobody realised that it could have had any connotation towards the Asian chap on the bridge, because, hmm I don't know, the bridge was sloping?

.... and pikey isn't a racist term blah blah blah blah it's fairly obvious what Clarkson was doing. No comment is 'accidental' especially one about a slope on a bridge.

btw Dawdust I was quite vocally supportive of top gear until the pikey's peak incident... so stop making up complete lies.
Quote from Intrepid :.... and pikey isn't a racist term blah blah blah blah it's fairly obvious what Clarkson was doing. No comment is 'accidental' especially one about a slope on a bridge.

He didn't say there were 2 slopes on the bridge.

And if it was a racist joke, wouldn't it be also racism if he didn't make it.
No reason to get yet another thread locked Intrepid.
Quote from pipa :He didn't say there were 2 slopes on the bridge.

And if it was a racist joke, wouldn't it be also racism if he didn't make it.

Yes, if he didn't make the racist joke because it was racist that would be racist.

**** me.

And btw I

1. Didn't highlight the racist joke first
2. Amp88 is as vocal as me on this and any other normal human.
Quote from Intrepid :

btw Dawdust I was quite vocally supportive of top gear until the pikey's peak incident... so stop making up complete lies.

O M G, that really got to you eh, it's an awesome fckin pun, go ask some more of your road travelling friends if they got buthurt, we need second opinion..
Quote from Boris Lozac :O M G, that really got to you eh, it's an awesome fckin pun, go ask some more of your road travelling friends if they got buthurt, we need second opinion..

as much as i dislike Boris, I have to agree with this one.
If you wanted to be offended you can find a way.

Imo people need to harden the **** up. This is 1st world problems at there finest.
Quote from Mustafur :If you wanted to be offended you can find a way.

He might be offended about you pointing out about him being able to be offended by everything.

Better watch it!
Well I was going to chime in an say I laughed my ass off for the entire special it this thread has taken a turn down over-sensitivity lane.

I'm actually more curious about the motor/ drivetrain in The sports lorry. Was it before or after the GM takeover? It really looks like a larger Chevy truck from the outside.
Quote from Intrepid :2. Amp88 is as vocal as me on this and any other normal human.

So what you've implied here is that, unless someone agrees with your opinion they are not a normal human? For someone banging on about political correctness and equality and all that pish, don't you see how you're being a huge hypocrite by suggesting that I, and anybody else that disagrees with your opinion, is abnormal?

I find this offensive and I suggest you retract your statement before I report you to the Internet police for hurting my feelings.
Quote from piggy501 :Ok. Beigeist.

When Stewart Lee did his Comedy Vehicle episode on "Political Correctness Gone Mad" he said that a generation of people had somehow confused or equated political correctness with health & safety legislation. At the time, I didn't buy that notion and I thought it was a bit weak. Now that I've seen the observational comedy "genius" Billy Connolly do it I've got to change my opinion on the Stewart Lee routine. Health & Safety legislation and political correctness are not related.

So, let's sum up Connolly's routine there:

Political correctness is wrong because he can't make jokes about disabled people, a menu used the term "wait person" rather than "waiter", "person hole cover" is so much worse than "manhole cover" (the facts that terms like "utility hole" or "maintenance hole" are more appropriate and that even person hole cover is more accurate since not everyone who uses them is male are incidental, of course) and he was woken by the beep of a reversing lorry (really, has anyone here been woken by that?). Really? Also, politically correct people are "at the controls". At the controls of what?

Also, saying that people who support political correctness are "beigeists" is pretty laughable.

I give you Bernard Righton.

Ultimately, political correctness is about trying not to needlessly cause offence to people, by respecting them as people. What's wrong with that, really?
Sorry for the double post; I missed the quoted reply below.

Quote from Anthoop :It is funny that you mention "spastic", I used the term recently and was chastised by someone around 15 years younger than me. Of course my only redemption was that it is an actual medical term...or at least was to my knowledge.

There are still certain usages for the term "spastic" which would be considered correct, but there's also a tricky area. As in the use of the word "slope" in the Top Gear episode, it could be defended by insisting it referred to the level of the bridge, where the intent was actually offensive. This is done with numerous terms.

Quote from Anthoop :...and this is where it can become complicated.
Why is the abbreviation for one ok but another not?
Yes, you mention history being the reason for not abbreviating the term for a person from Pakistan...but surely it is the specific incidents that have to be dealt with...not the words involved?
It would always be easier to play the racism card rather than deal with an actual integration problem.

That's one of the problems when people use terms in an offensive fashion - people who would like to (or used to) use them 'properly' and non-offensively are no longer able to because of the associated stigma. It's unfortunate, but that's the way things are.

Quote from Anthoop :I recall a football incident ( I do not watch football generally but it was a popular story), where a white player called another player a "black c***".....of course the aggressor is looking to offend...maybe if they were both the same shade of pale then he would of used a different word in-front of the C word.

Sounds similar to the Ron Atkinson controversy. Sure, these are openly racist remarks.

Quote from Anthoop :Do not be shy...it can be very funny to laugh...even when the joke is aimed at people that you may associate with yourself with....colour/age/gender/religion/height/size/etc...

I suppose it can be funny, but I don't really enjoy that kind of comedy. I prefer people who don't need to pick on differences or minorities to get their laughs (such as Stewart Lee, Dave Gorman, Charlie Brooker and Demetri Martin). Also see the John Thomson character Bernard Righton above.

Quote from Anthoop :Surely you know that Jeremy Clarkson is just a guy that hates everyone...it is probably nothing personal.....but it can be entertaining.

I don't buy this "<x> hates everyone equally" defence. It's been used a number of times before (by Bernard Manning in particular). It's such a weak defence against the act of intentionally trying to create offence by singling out particular attributes (skin colour, sex, nationality etc).
Quote from amp88 :I suppose it can be funny, but I don't really enjoy that kind of comedy. I prefer people who don't need to pick on differences or minorities to get their laughs (such as Stewart Lee, Dave Gorman, Charlie Brooker and Demetri Martin). Also see the John Thomson character Bernard Righton above.

I suppose it can be offensive, but I don't really hold that kind of view. Surely anything can be offensive if you're sensitive enough. I prefer people who don't need to shove their opinions on people to get their moral superiority.

What's offensive is entirely subjective to each individual - for example, you might object to being called Scottish stereotypes being used around you, whereas I'm perfectly fine with laughing at being called a whisky-drinking, haggis-chasing, deep-fried Mars bar muncher. Oh, and don't forget we all wear kilts.

If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it, and leave those that do, to do so in peace.
Quote from piggy501 :I suppose it can be offensive, but I don't really hold that kind of view. Surely anything can be offensive if you're sensitive enough.

Certainly, it's possible for people to be overly-sensitive and look for offensive statements when they're not there. With Top Gear's track record, that isn't the case here though (in my opinion).

Quote from piggy501 :I prefer people who don't need to shove their opinions on people to get their moral superiority.

I'm not forcing you to listen to me. Ignore me if you wish. It's also strange that you think the notion of treating people fairly and trying to respect them is some form of militant moral superiority.

Quote from piggy501 :What's offensive is entirely subjective to each individual - for example, you might object to being called Scottish stereotypes being used around you, whereas I'm perfectly fine with laughing at being called a whisky-drinking, haggis-chasing, deep-fried Mars bar muncher. Oh, and don't forget we all wear kilts.

I agree (at least to an extent).

Quote from piggy501 :If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it, and leave those that do, to do so in peace.

As I said before, I don't watch it any more, but I don't believe that means I give up the right to comment on it.
Quote from piggy501 :I suppose it can be offensive, but I don't really hold that kind of view. Surely anything can be offensive if you're sensitive enough. I prefer people who don't need to shove their opinions on people to get their moral superiority.

What's offensive is entirely subjective to each individual - for example, you might object to being called Scottish stereotypes being used around you, whereas I'm perfectly fine with laughing at being called a whisky-drinking, haggis-chasing, deep-fried Mars bar muncher. Oh, and don't forget we all wear kilts.

If you don't enjoy it, don't watch it, and leave those that do, to do so in peace.

Can you also play the bagpipe?

Top Gear Discussions [Spoilers and fun inside]
(568 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG