The online racing simulator
Rfactor ?
(57 posts, started )
whats rFactor?
Quote from jwardy :I think its some racing game, that tries and fails! to compete with lfs :P

Good edit.
Have you installed the mod in the right place? Have you asked on the rTractor forum?
#32 - Jakg
You think THAT looks good?

It reminds me of Sega GT ffs

(I know rF looks a lot better than that when you actually turn up some options - still prefer LFS's "style" though)
Those are some fairly horrible screenshots
Sorry, which of those pictures looked good? Looked fecking awful to me.
I like Rfactor because the modding and reall cars and circuits but graphics suck
Quote from LFSn00b :

rFactor ain't that bad y'know

Those graphics look appallingly bad, ugly mods and really poor graphics settings.
Here are some screenshots straight from my pc but in dx9 mode with 8xAF, no AA. I really don't care that much about graphics but these look far more 'drivable without a sick bag' than those posted above.

Actually this runs at 50+fps on a 6800GT at this res, which isn't too bad, but I play in 'shader free' dx7 which tripples the framerate..
Attached images
notthatbad1.jpg
notthatbad2.jpg
notthatbad3.jpg
Here are a few shots I took of the W196, this is on the lower detail settings in DX7 with no AA/AF so I can get reasonable fps and it still looks really nice compared to the quality I have to endure other games in
#40 - JTbo
Colours, those are really wonderful thing. However getting colours to look realistic is not really that easy, you can't just pick bright red and say that is colour of curb, it takes really lot of work to get colour right.

This work is quite often not done with rFactor mods, colours jump to your face, well kind of, everything looks like they have came off from children's movie or something like that. In reality there is so much more variety in colours but still they tend to be less bright when you compare what you see in rFactor.

Someday I hope that I can start working with colours a bit, it annoys me every day more and more how wrong some colours look in my mod, how ever it is not easy task to learn how to use colours and then to find proper ones, it takes lot of time, maybe I'm ready by time S3 final of LFS does arrive
Niko, no offence but thats horrid!

What are your specs? Even my old laptop (P4 3ghz, 1gb ram, 128mb gfx card) managed to play rFactor better than that!
Auch.. well though, LFS and rFactor are very pc friendly. With a 1.5ghz pc and a Geforce 4 ti card you can run rFactor fairly well in dx7 mode, 50+fps most of the time!

Gaming and onboard graphics have never really gone together all that well.. Simracing is great though, any second hand cheapskate 3d card will be enough. How much is a ati 9600pro second hand these days? 30 euro? No way to save some $ for that?
Quote from JTbo :Colours, those are really wonderful thing. However getting colours to look realistic is not really that easy, you can't just pick bright red and say that is colour of curb, it takes really lot of work to get colour right.

This work is quite often not done with rFactor mods, colours jump to your face, well kind of, everything looks like they have came off from children's movie or something like that. In reality there is so much more variety in colours but still they tend to be less bright when you compare what you see in rFactor.

I concur - not only is the luminance just plain wrong, but the overall hue and saturation is so alien at times that it hurts. Also apart from the texture work it seems like the general lighting settings tend to be rather surreal as well and I still haven't seen one thing that matters when playing the game which could fully justify a separate "dx9 mode".
hi guys, how do you get the online mode goin.
the games come up but it says either incompatible game versions or join times out when i go to join?
#45 - JTbo
Quote from craig12345 :hi guys, how do you get the online mode goin.
the games come up but it says either incompatible game versions or join times out when i go to join?

Error messages are quite random in rFactor, imo.

Make sure you have version 1.250 of game, that is last good one, 1.255 is not so good and I think many have not moved to that yet.

Then it is lack of version control hell possibility, mod or track can be wrong version, how ever usually you get some cryptic .hdv mismatch or something like that, which really does not point even to correct file most of time

Edit: Realistic overtaking :-X
Quote from LFSn00b :Another guy that is "LFS is the only sim in the earths!11"

Why are you flaming rFactor? It ain't that bad.

Well, i used to be a rFactor hater, but not anymore, because of it's modding ability, graphics, gameplay.

rFactor ain't that bad y'know

On the basis of this thread, I can safely say the modding system sucks, and the gameplay must suck because you can't get into the game unless you have version 1.003058838 of Rfactor and version 5.49732 of the mod you want to play.
#47 - JTbo
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :On the basis of this thread, I can safely say the modding system sucks, and the gameplay must suck because you can't get into the game unless you have version 1.003058838 of Rfactor and version 5.49732 of the mod you want to play.

That is correct, if there would be even bit of thought put into modding system, then it would be really great thing, but as it is now, it is offline sim to have fun with, at least it is that for me

@LFSn00b, you can get track from rFactorcentral, it is quite new ORR track, car is not yet finished, I work very slow
Sorry to raise an old thread
I got Rfactor free with my G27 wheel purchase and I have finally installed it, just to see what it is about.

I have downloaded the RealFeal plugin as recommended but I was wondering from anybody with experience, what is the mod's to have?

I did a little goggling, and I have got the V8 Aussie Mod ( very impressive ) and the FRR Clio Cup ( yet to test )

Mostly interested in closed wheel mods.

Cheers

Fordie
Test the Niels NSX
Quote from Fordman :I got Rfactor free with my G27 wheel purchase and I have finally installed it, just to see what it is about.

I have downloaded the RealFeal plugin as recommended but I was wondering from anybody with experience, what is the mod's to have?

I did a little goggling, and I have got the V8 Aussie Mod ( very impressive ) and the FRR Clio Cup ( yet to test )

Mostly interested in closed wheel mods.

Cheers

Fordie

If you have GTL then get the Historic GT mod, both GTL cars and quite a lot of new stuff with much improved physics, you need GTL for the disc check.

Anything else that Niels did the physics for is worth trying, Corvette, Supra, F1 Turbo car and although I haven't tried it I'm sure the NSX is great as well.

Rfactor ?
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG