The online racing simulator
Quote from Bigbob1993 :Maybe your CPU does not catch up with your GPU . O have the same problem.

Yes, probably. I've noticed this on other games, too.

Btw... what is this? I don't remember this "bug" or what is it. If this is known one, sorry. Check the attached picture (resized by 80%, so I can upload it).
Attached images
Untitled.png
2014-01-20 22:19:39 - LFS
Frames: 9676 - Time: 108000ms - Avg: 89.593 - Min: 57 - Max: 118

2014-01-20 22:24:06 - LFS_6E12
Frames: 8757 - Time: 108313ms - Avg: 80.849 - Min: 54 - Max: 104

Hmmm.
Quote from MadCatX :I did a quick test with the WINE 1.7.11 and opensousdafrce drivers on Intel HD3000 and Radeon 6400M. As far as I could see there were no problems.

Hmm, I'm having some issues with wine-1.7.11.

LFS is complaining about not being able to open jpeg files. For example:

Can't open : AX_ADS1.jpg

Tried with a clean install of LFS with the 6E12 exe and dll added only.

It still runs though (but without the jpegs, obviously).
Quote from MandulAA :Btw... what is this? I don't remember this "bug" or what is it. If this is known one, sorry. Check the attached picture (resized by 80%, so I can upload it).

"LX4 number plate goes through spare tyre"

It was a bug in 0.5Z13. Was IIRC fixed in 0.5Z16.
Quote from MandulAA :Yes, probably. I've noticed this on other games, too.

Btw... what is this? I don't remember this "bug" or what is it. If this is known one, sorry. Check the attached picture (resized by 80%, so I can upload it).

The original bug was indeed fixed in Z19. It seems that your car's rear is damaged, so that's why the number plate moved a bit into the spare tyre. It looks OK on an undamaged LX4.
Quote from felplacerad :Hmm, I'm having some issues with wine-1.7.11.

LFS is complaining about not being able to open jpeg files. For example:

Can't open : AX_ADS1.jpg

Tried with a clean install of LFS with the 6E12 exe and dll added only.

It still runs though (but without the jpegs, obviously).

WINE depends on libjpeg (or in my case libjpeg-turbo) library to do some JPEG file processing. Perhaps your WINE has been built with libjpeg support disabled or the version it was built against does not match to that installed on your system?

FWIW, this is the framerate I can squeeze outta my GPUs, everything was run at 1600x900:

Radeon 6400M 4x AA Max
2014-00-20 22:42:36 - LFS
Frames: 2698 - Time: 107963ms - Avg: 24.986275 - Min: 15 - Max: 36

Radeon 6400M no AA Max
2014-00-20 23:00:28 - LFS
Frames: 2703 - Time: 107962ms - Avg: 25.034140 - Min: 15 - Max: 36

Intel HD3000 4x AA Max
2014-00-20 23:06:52 - LFS
Frames: 2099 - Time: 107837ms - Avg: 19.464994 - Min: 13 - Max: 26

HD3000 struggles badly when AA is enabled whereas the Radeon seems to be CPU limited. DX8 version performance is very similar.
using xp 32b and a radeon 7950 : slightly improved at the fps counter (not enormous anyway)
did a short test (now Haze enabled) on AS, BL, SO, and well, all the tree textures and numerous other textures (grand stands, banner bridges) are fully transparent, and I can't take a screenshot (turns out black) only if I enable Anti Aliasing.

AMD HD 6800 here
Quick test, AS6, me+20AI at start (Win 7 x64, 5760x1080):
DX8: 88-90 FPS
DX9: 117-118 FPS

Sorry for off-topic - some may know about the bug with the fence/driver name & tyre smoke transparency. Can it be fixed more easily now with DX9, or does it not depend on the DirectX version and would require a more elaborate fix?
Attached images
o3kvESo.png
Slightly better FPS, but still huge difference in performance when comparing Windows XP versus Windows 7, in my case like 70% better on Windows XP. Talking about that replay from lfsbench with 20 AIs. When only one car there isn't much difference in FPS between different Windows.

Some short test gave me clues about why some people improved their FPS, while some not. If you are CPU bottlenecked you wont see any improvements, but if case is GPU bottleneck things are better

BTW (maybe (something) more interesting for Scawen)
Clicked X (Close) on LFSs parent window and... (happened only once)
Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: LFS_6E12.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 52dd512c
Hang Signature: fa5b
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1050
Additional Hang Signature 1: fa5bfbb6e64c284cc81c85bd30f0abd0
Additional Hang Signature 2: fe15
Additional Hang Signature 3: fe1525c23aea2fcc3fbc1074e01654a3
Additional Hang Signature 4: fa5b
Additional Hang Signature 5: fa5bfbb6e64c284cc81c85bd30f0abd0
Additional Hang Signature 6: fe15
Additional Hang Signature 7: fe1525c23aea2fcc3fbc1074e01654a3

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

EDIT: Look like AMD fixed that thing where textures go funky in newest drivers released just few days ago. Tested 6E and 6E12 both look fine on newest drivers.
Thank you for the bug reports, I've been through the thread since the E12 update and made notes of things to fix. For most things I do not need any more information.

Quote from MandulAA :EDIT2: Added a pic of the rolling credits screen having no bkg.

Thanks, that does happen to me now. I don't know why it looked OK when I checked yesterday.

Quote from ACCAkut :did a short test (now Haze enabled) on AS, BL, SO, and well, all the tree textures and numerous other textures (grand stands, banner bridges) are fully transparent, and I can't take a screenshot (turns out black) only if I enable Anti Aliasing.

AMD HD 6800 here

How are you enabling antialiasing? Using the setting in Graphics Options, or with a driver setting? What level of AA are you using? I have no idea why this would happen...

It's not 100% clear from your post, does enabling antialiasing make the textures transparent, or stop you taking a screenshot, or both?

One more question, which method are you using to take a screenshot and are you doing it in a window or full screen?

Quote from Flame CZE :Sorry for off-topic - some may know about the bug with the fence/driver name & tyre smoke transparency. Can it be fixed more easily now with DX9, or does it not depend on the DirectX version and would require a more elaborate fix?

Found a comment in the code

// NOTE : These are drawn after the alpha...
// They do not write to z buffer, so if drawn before alpha they would be overwritten by car windscreens.
// The negative side effect is the puffs cannot be seen through fences.
// An expensive solution would be to alpha sort all puffs and include them in the alpha sort tree.

If I understand it correctly, the fence does update z-buff, and the puff is then "behind"? Can't you mark some alpha textures as "don't write to z-buff" either? Like fences which basically can be seen trough almost completely. Or now with DX9 shader stuff (which *I* never worked with) maybe there's a way to write a shader which will update z only when the texel is opaque? That way the puffs would be clipped only against track/walls/more solid textures. But I bet even that would be far from trivial change. Nevermind.
Quote from Scawen :Thank you for the bug reports, I've been through the thread since the E12 update and made notes of things to fix. For most things I do not need any more information.

Thanks, that does happen to me now. I don't know why it looked OK when I checked yesterday.

How are you enabling antialiasing? Using the setting in Graphics Options, or with a driver setting? What level of AA are you using? I have no idea why this would happen...

It's not 100% clear from your post, does enabling antialiasing make the textures transparent, or stop you taking a screenshot, or both?

One more question, which method are you using to take a screenshot and are you doing it in a window or full screen?

I just tried changing the Anti Aliasing Method in the AMD Vision Center, and now those errors seem to have disappeared , no matter which method I choose (was on Adaptive Multi-Sampling while I had the error yesterday, changed it to Supersampling for a try). All textures appear as they should, and screenshots (via "print" button) work as well.

I'll report when I get the error again.

Edit: The error appears while using the "Adaptive Multi-Sampling" method
I have a clean installation to benchmark each version, and these are my results.

I find it weird how the 1st test has a noticeable better performance. And it looks that DX9 performs just a bit worse than DX8, who would have guess that?

LFS_0.6E Avg: 45.669 - Min: 26 - Max: 66
LFS_0.6E Avg: 41.971 - Min: 26 - Max: 60
LFS_0.6E Avg: 41.764 - Min: 25 - Max: 61
------------------
LFS_6E12 Avg: 41.020 - Min: 22 - Max: 60
LFS_6E12 Avg: 41.078 - Min: 25 - Max: 59

Flame, it looks like my AMD HD5750 is neither doing any improvement
Maybe performance differences are only related to Nvidia chipsets (* but Nilex proves otherwise)...

Looks like you are a bit high in settings anyway. You shouldn't score that low with that card.

I guess I could be CPU bound (though no core is near 100% :S), as I've run the benchmark on my real LFS (1080 vs 1280x960) and I got pretty much the same result.

LFS_0.6E Avg: 41.877 - Min: 24 - Max: 61

In some games I'm CPU bound, and in other is the GPU that can'¡t keep up. But LFS never uses all it has available. But I don't worry too much, this is South City with full AI grid, most of the time my situation is better.
With E12 my game keeps jumping when on full settings and any other settings? I'm getting steady 250fps then a sudden loss of fps to about 50 and the game jumps? Only started since i installed the test patch.
Quote from Scawen :

// An expensive solution would be to alpha sort all puffs and include them in the alpha sort tree.

Yes please! This could be made as an option in menu. I would give up my 2XAA to have this and still run the game smoothly on my PC
However, it is up to you, what will you spend your time on... this is just my little wish
found on ( sort of )

6e11
http://puu.sh/6sUZ5.jpg

6e12
http://puu.sh/6sV05.jpg

the car in the garage on 6e12 seens to be higher that the 6e11

also i'be noticed some times the menues are not as fast as on 6e11,
when i choose the track and click on garage i have some sort of 2 o 4 seconds delay before the actual click trow me to the garage menu

same happens when closing the game via menus, the final screen ( were credits comes ) have some 2-3s delay before close the game

this dont happen on 6e11, only on 6e12
Quote from Whiskey :I guess I could be CPU bound (though no core is near 100% :S)

Hmm, when you say "no core is near 100%", are you saying that all cores are sharing the load, and if so, is the total CPU load from LFS equal to one core's worth? If so then you really are CPU-bound because LFS only seems to use one thread. For example, on my PC, I get 50% CPU load whenever LFS is CPU-bound because I only have two cores...
Quote from Inouva :found on ( sort of )

6e11
http://puu.sh/6sUZ5.jpg

6e12
http://puu.sh/6sV05.jpg

the car in the garage on 6e12 seens to be higher that the 6e11

also i'be noticed some times the menues are not as fast as on 6e11,
when i choose the track and click on garage i have some sort of 2 o 4 seconds delay before the actual click trow me to the garage menu

same happens when closing the game via menus, the final screen ( were credits comes ) have some 2-3s delay before close the game

this dont happen on 6e11, only on 6e12

Are you sure it doesn't happen in 6E11? For me it happens in 6E8 and higher. It is most likely a result of the change of how 3D objects (cars & driver) are drawn in the menu sceeens (to enable 3D support).
Quote from Flame CZE :Are you sure it doesn't happen in 6E11? For me it happens in 6E8 and higher. It is most likely a result of the change of how 3D objects (cars & driver) are drawn in the menu sceeens (to enable 3D support).

sorry, i checked again happen my lfs is 0.6e and jumped to 6e12 and got that "misplaced" car in the garage

only happen with 6e12
Quote from Nilex :The unwanted graphic effect i mentioned, is clearly noticeable when comparing the two screenshoots. Manifestation is exactly the same as raising the "Mip bias" setting before.
Anyone else having this as well?

Thanks for this useful report - I got the same results and it is now fixed. The anisotropic filtering (Texture filtering / AF slider greater than 1) was being set incorrectly.
E13 - DirectX 9
Here is the second test of the DirectX 9 version. I'll just post it here at first, and if it seems OK after a few people have tested it, I'll update the first post.

Changes from 0.6E12 to 0.6E13 :

FIX : LFS did not get past the entry screen if Haze effect was disabled
FIX : Starting LFS in full screen set mouse cursor to top left - now centre
FIX : Anisotropic filtering (Texture filtering / AF slider > 1) did not work
FIX : FOV in helicopter view is now back to the same as it was before
FIX : Credits screen had a black background

Changes from 0.6E11 to 0.6E12 :

LFS now uses DirectX 9 instead of DirectX 8.1 (no visual changes)

FIX : Mirror texture is now 32-bit (as it was until recently)
FIX : Suspension view in garage did not work in 3D modes

DOWNLOAD :

EDIT : E14 IS NOW AVAILABLE
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E8 (now E14 - DirectX 9 + 3D / VR support)
(405 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG