The online racing simulator
Good first car for 17 year old UK
(121 posts, started )
Get a NA RX-7, that's what I did for my first car. It's listed as a 1.3 so the insurance and tax bills are tiny.
I think the insurance on an RX7 of any kind would be a crazy price for a 17 year old in the UK anyway.
sa22c for my first car, insurance was $482 a year lol
My FC was somewhere around 500€ a year to insure with 0% NCB when I was 19, that's around the same that I pay for my shitty Yaris insurance now almost 10 years later.

But yeah, UK insurance system doesn't make ANY sense.
Quote from Mustafur :They should get the cheapest price because the insurance cost is a joke.

It cost me the equilivent of 200 pounds when i was 17 to insure a Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS.

Explain how your countrys insurance is probably about 20 times that for the same age person.

If it were only £4000 to insure a impreza then everyone would be driving one, I paid much more then £4000 to insure my 120hp Celica. Insurance is just completely stupid here.

Then when you need to pay about £1.45/L (which is like $10.50/G) you can sort of justify why everyone drives around in a Prius
#56 - Jakg
Quote from Matrixi :Get a NA RX-7, that's what I did for my first car. It's listed as a 1.3 so the insurance and tax bills are tiny.

Not that insurance in the UK is affected much by engine size, but usually something like an RX8 would be treated as a 2.6L engine.

Plus side is once you get even slightly older, it gets a lot cheaper. I got quotes as low as £350 this year...
So really what you guys are saying is, I could go for most of the cars on that list, apart from the Opel Manta and Opel Ascona OR try to find a not so common car which is driven by teens in the UK which will lower the cost of insurance?

And yeah I would ask my Dad for advice, but sadly he isn't around any more , but I remember him saying that he either had a Ford Cortina or an Opel Manta GT as his first car, although times have changed where insurance was probably a lot cheaper back then......so either I will have to try and find a car which is not commonly used by UK teens or hope for the best at the ones off of my list.

Thank you everyone for commenting, one other thing though, out of that list and if you were me living in the UK at almost 17, which car would you go for and why? Feel free to add a car which isnt on that list though .
Quote from KiRmelius :I've had Peugeot 205 1.1 . Well it lacked a lot of power, but was actually pretty fun to drive. If it was 1.6 or 1.9 GTI, I wouldn't have sold it.

A friend used to have a 205 1.4. It was genuinely funny car to drive (especially during winter). Another friend currently drives a 1.9 GTi which is very nice car too, altho he isn't the type who really abuses his cars.

My first car was RWD and I owned it for 8 years. Never crashed it altho it took a real beating during the winters (rear bumper was barely hanging, it had a close relationship with snow banks).
I understand why people say no RWD for first car, but you have to learn to drive at some point I think lol. I have only owned RWD cars (well all of them Sierras but anyway).

I can't comment on the insurance because here in Finland our insurance quotes aren't mental.
#59 - Jakg
Quote from eddy678 :So really what you guys are saying is, I could go for most of the cars on that list, apart from the Opel Manta and Opel Ascona OR try to find a not so common car which is driven by teens in the UK which will lower the cost of insurance?

What were saying is get a quote. Then you'll know.

You'll struggle with older cars as while classic insurance is cheap, very few companies offer it to <25's and usually it also comes with a very low mileage stipulation / no commuting use - a friends Dad bought him a Triumph TRsomething as his first car, had to sell it (after making some decent money hiring it out!) as not a single company would insure him on it.
Quote from eddy678 :out of that list and if you were me living in the UK at almost 17, which car would you go for and why? Feel free to add a car which isnt on that list though .

Something unusual. Volvo 340 / 440? Seem to remember a 106 Rallye was quite cheap as well although somehow I doubt it will be anymore. My car was also quite cheap to insure (comparatively) which is why I bought it in the first place.
My first car was a 1994 Pontiac Bonneville, like this but green:

Volvo V40/S40, Opel Astra, Golf Mk4, MB C class (W202)
Quote from eddy678 :So really what you guys are saying is, I could go for most of the cars on that list, apart from the Opel Manta and Opel Ascona OR try to find a not so common car which is driven by teens in the UK which will lower the cost of insurance? .

Best thing to do is go to somewhere like http://www.gocompare.com/ and fill in details as if you were already 17. Then you can try different cars and see what kind of quotes you get.

Remember to tick the 'do not contact me' button or you'll get insurance brokers calling you with quotes for your entirely fictional cars.
Quote from BigPeBe :A friend used to have a 205 1.4. It was genuinely funny car to drive (especially during winter). Another friend currently drives a 1.9 GTi which is very nice car too, altho he isn't the type who really abuses his cars.

My first car was RWD and I owned it for 8 years. Never crashed it altho it took a real beating during the winters (rear bumper was barely hanging, it had a close relationship with snow banks).
I understand why people say no RWD for first car, but you have to learn to drive at some point I think lol. I have only owned RWD cars (well all of them Sierras but anyway).

I can't comment on the insurance because here in Finland our insurance quotes aren't mental.

Same here, my current car and future plans are only RWD, actually only bought that pug to sell for small profit.

Quote from TexasLTU :Volvo V40/S40, Opel Astra, Golf Mk4, MB C class (W202)

The most Lithuanian car advice possible
Quote from Crashgate3 :Best thing to do is go to somewhere like http://www.gocompare.com/ and fill in details as if you were already 17. Then you can try different cars and see what kind of quotes you get.

Remember to tick the 'do not contact me' button or you'll get insurance brokers calling you with quotes for your entirely fictional cars.

and never give your real name and phone number,everytime u get a quote it gets more expensive. i aint bullshittin
Quote from KiRmelius :
The most Lithuanian car advice possible

What would you suggest?
Go to buy some used condom like 1994 civic, and put some drop on it, like all morons do and like it that way
What about a 316i e36/46 compact?
That or a old c230 kompressor. Start small and work your way up to a e36m3 or e46 330ci.
Just get a gutless little city car, the insurance will be affordable and you'll be able to go wherever you like, whenever you like, for the first time in your life, so you'll love it.

I'd suggest you look for the least-fashionable Daihatsu you can find. Very reliable and cheap to run, totally gutless, very cheap to insure because nobody your age will ever want one. The money you save can go towards getting a 2L bimmer when you've got a few years' no-claims.
Plus, if you manage to get laid while pulling up for a date in a car like that, you know you got game!
I would like to say " Don't be so sexist, Women are deeper than that"

Experience however suggests differently, at least the 'pick up in the pub and impress with your epenis' variety.

Go for the cheap car and add in all the money saved by not visiting the Dr quite so regularly.
Man... I'm so glad I grew up when I did. YOu kids today.... I know you're from the UK, so I can understand not even almost wanting an American Car...
But back in the day, you could get used muscle cars dirt cheap. I imagine the same could be said about the UK for jensen interceptors and Tr7s and that one jaguar model that looked like a 1070's MG. Oh well. Different day. Different age.
LOL whatever car you get, you need these:
www.texanwireandwheels.com/wir ... 15-inch-84s-extreme-poke/
....OK so maybe not...
Stupid Americans.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :That or a old c230 kompressor. Start small and work your way up to a e36m3 or e46 330ci.

Quote from Mustafur :What about a 316i e36/46 compact?

haha, good luck getting a 17 year old insured on either of those for less than £5000, if they'll even do it at all.
#74 - Jakg
Also remember location is very important - middle of nowhere, expensive premiums, live in Bradford, get a buss pass...

EDIT - In the interests of fairness our cars and car-related-taxes are very cheap compared to similar European countries so we really can't complain that much.
Quote from Racer Y :But back in the day, you could get used muscle cars dirt cheap.

But in UK you can get pretty fast JDM cars for price of a sandwich - since they're not useful anywhere else in Europe due to steering wheel being in wrong side.

Good first car for 17 year old UK
(121 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG