The online racing simulator
We know it's practically dead, so
(147 posts, closed, started )
Funny thread.
just saying, anyone who hasn't had a try at creating their own setups is missing out on the best "content" LFS has to offer.

it's not a content candy sim! those who love it love it for its depth.
Quote from CarlLefrancois :just saying, anyone who hasn't had a try at creating their own setups is missing out on the best "content" LFS has to offer.

it's not a content candy sim! those who love it love it for its depth.

so years of perfecting these?
Quote from The Very End :Saying someone is wrong and that they have not done everything LFS has to offer because they have not driven all the cars on all the combos so far - is just wrong. I dont need to drive Blackwood with every car in the LFS universe to know that Im tired of that track.

You make it seem like I told him to drive UF1000 on Kyoto tracks or something.
Drift1r has really only driven the XRT, all other cars are ~3 laps or so.
And even on the tracks where he has 300+ laps with XRT he is as far as 19 seconds slower than WR. To me that looks like he has NEVER done even one race.
It is not comperable to saying "oh you yes look, you have driven all combos, but you forgot LX4 o SO5r, you have only driven it with LX6" or anything like that.

Sorry Drift1r for using you as example for my posts
Similiar are others who do nothing else but 5 laps races in FZR on some oval servers. Yes, maybe you have driven thousands of miles but you have not experienced anything at all.
Some people contain themself in their own niche (drift, cruise, whatever) and get bored of it because they forget about the "online racing simulator" part.

Quote from Drift1r :there has been 2 moments in LFS where i really felt refreshed, the first was switching from a 240 degree momo to a G27, the second was teaching my ex girlfriend how to drift.
they both have 1 thing in common, they both had nothing to do with LFS development.

You will feel the same refreshment once you finish your first real race. Really, try it.
Before this whiner thread gets locked, I'd like to state that I want some additional content too.
I want as I've always wanted the last ten years two things.
I want flaming trash cans instead of tires in so. city tracks and a track with a loop in it.
Quote from Racer Y :I'd like to state that I want some additional content too.

Everyone wants it,most wouldn't mind to throw in few bucks for it,but - we can't do anything. Devs have decided it that way and we're stuck with the same old stuff for a while. Seeing AC now starting to rise,when they add multiplayer and it's not $#!t,I'm afraid that LFS is screwed if nothing is done...

PS. Nice post count Mr. Racer Y!
#59 - Be2K
Quote from Eclipsed :Everyone wants it,most wouldn't mind to throw in few bucks for it,but - we can't do anything. Devs have decided it that way and we're stuck with the same old stuff for a while. Seeing AC now starting to rise,when they add multiplayer and it's not $#!t,I'm afraid that LFS is screwed if nothing is done...

PS. Nice post count Mr. Racer Y!

If scawen is reading this Maybe he could hire some Track Modder and publish new Tracks in a 5er Pack for 10$ or something

Could be quite Usefull to flush LFS with Content and earn some cash this way. So we still get new tracks and they are managed by him (LFSDevs.).

MAYBE ! Theses Modders could do it for free !
That's basically what i was thinking, even if they're already modelled but missing textures.
I've done 80% of my own lfs textures, i can handle a track and i'm sure most guys here can handle any additional modelling.
The problem is they dont even tease us with those new tracks and cars. I'm pretty sure if they posted a teaser picture of those new tracks and cars every couple of months it would generate a bit of hype and make the game look less "dead".

Anyway, people bored of LFS should try Asetto Corsa. I bought it and its awesome, finally a sim where cars feel more natural (although not as natural as LFS).
I remember playing this game with a mouse over 10 years ago. It was hard to drive, but it was awesome. The demo cars were a bit slow but fun to drive. Then I got a MOMO and really loved playing the game. I played it with my dad and his brothers hot-seat style when my sister had her confirmation party in 2004. At some point I bought the S2 license and my MOMO got worn out. I got a G25 and I really, really loved playing the game online with my friends. We still do, occasionally, on a private server.

This game has been my go-to race sim for a decade now, and the only racing sim with car handling that truly feels realistic. But the lack of development and updates in the past 5 or so years really is starting to get to me. I know my online stats don't show many laps around various tracks on different cars, that's because I usually just drive around alone or mess with the AI drivers in single player / offline mode. Also, I haven't been active on the forums. Actually, this might be my first post, I'm not sure. So go ahead, laugh at my stats and mock me, call me a noob. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, however.

The new tire model sounded exciting and awesome. The Scirocco sounded like a welcome and interesting addition. New laser scanned track(s) sounded awesome. None of those have been released, although they were promised to us years ago. What I'm saying is that I truly love this game. I've played it for over a decade. I have fun memories with the game. But I also feel sad for the game. It hasn't received the love and care it deserves from its developers. Sure, they have their own lives, but they also have this amazing game and a very dedicated community of people who still play the game actively, and they seem to have abandoned both almost completely. Now there are new racing sims coming out that seem very promising. If LFS doesn't get the updates it has been promised, people WILL abandon it eventually. If they release the S3 pack 5 years from now, who will be there to buy it and play it? I'm pretty sure I won't, and not many of you either.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just wanted to share my history and thoughts on this awesome, neglected game.

- Aleksi
Kexi, with just the one post in 10 years you're entitled to write a novel
Didn't expect to see this.

Went ahead and live with my girlfriend now, last time I visited here it says 14th October 2012, last post was in June 2012.

Wanted to see what's going on lately, figured I'd come and see how S3 would work, since last time I checked in it was on the verge of being released. Was very curious about the Scirocco as well.

So now I'm VERY surprised to see my version of LFS isn't outdated, I only need a patch from 0.6B to 0.6E, wow...

I don't call this practically dead, to me this is dead. Especially since I last checked last year, there already were threads about when those updates would FINALLY happen, cause it was taking so darn long.

I am dissappointed All the time I took to get out extra speakers for my laptop and getting the good old DFP out again, for nothing.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Didn't expect to see this.

Went ahead and live with my girlfriend now, last time I visited here it says 14th October 2012, last post was in June 2012.

Wanted to see what's going on lately, figured I'd come and see how S3 would work, since last time I checked in it was on the verge of being released. Was very curious about the Scirocco as well.

So now I'm VERY surprised to see my version of LFS isn't outdated, I only need a patch from 0.6B to 0.6E, wow...

I don't call this practically dead, to me this is dead. Especially since I last checked last year, there already were threads about when those updates would FINALLY happen, cause it was taking so darn long.

I am dissappointed All the time I took to get out extra speakers for my laptop and getting the good old DFP out again, for nothing.

spend a little time looking in the forum and you would find otherwise, as a matter of fact scawen has been active on here quite a lot recently in relation to a few different new things hes working on
Quote : spend a little time looking in the forum and you would find otherwise, as a matter of fact scawen has been active on here quite a lot recently in relation to a few different new things hes working on

I respect the fact that he's still active, but I think his energy is being projected in the wrong direction. Is there really a need to rush to get updates to get Oculus Rift working on LFS? How many people in this community will really benefit from this update? Isn't there something that is more important than getting Oculus Rift working on LFS? I don't know... maybe an update that was "announced" 5 years ago.

There is a reason behind wanting to get more content beyond getting the actual content. If ACTUAL updates are made, we will be seeing some people come back to LFS. The online community is just too small. I don't personally see myself running Aston or something when the only servers up running it are empty. That's why I have like 3000 laps in BL1.
Random anal secretions.
Quote from GenesisX :Is there really a need to rush to get updates to get Oculus Rift working on LFS? How many people in this community will really benefit from this update? Isn't there something that is more important than getting Oculus Rift working on LFS?

If you look at it from Scawens perspective, who has invented LFS (together with you know who) and probably has a mindset to "discover" what you "can do" on a computer, it might not be so strange. Innovating, exploring possibilities and "taking things further" is probably a fundamental blueprint forming the thoughts of a programmer breaking new grounds. Otherwise we wouldn't have had LFS to begin with. It is not that exiting to make a new track (it's been done) compared to see how LFS would perform in a 3D-environment. I would do the same.

This might not be the case at all, just how I look at it, and yes, I would like to see new cars/physics and tracks, but I also understand that a programmers motivation almost always comes from testing "new" things, see how it turns out, and then try to perfect it. The tyre physics issue is of course such an undertaking, but the Oculus rift idea is perhaps more accessible (and current) at the moment and I can see the ideas spinning from that.
Just glad to have LFS, whatever comes along in the LFS-future, I'll probably enjoy just as much .
Quote from GenesisX :I respect the fact that he's still active, but I think his energy is being projected in the wrong direction. Is there really a need to rush to get updates to get Oculus Rift working on LFS? How many people in this community will really benefit from this update? Isn't there something that is more important than getting Oculus Rift working on LFS? I don't know... maybe an update that was "announced" 5 years ago.

There is a reason behind wanting to get more content beyond getting the actual content. If ACTUAL updates are made, we will be seeing some people come back to LFS. The online community is just too small. I don't personally see myself running Aston or something when the only servers up running it are empty. That's why I have like 3000 laps in BL1.

i can only state what he says and i can also understand peoples sceptism,but he has mentioned that he will continue with s3 after hes finished working on the occulus rift support.
i do agree that the s3 content should be the priorty also
I didn't read the thread, but I want to point out one thing about new content. First of all I feel okay to play LFS and I consider it very cheap compared with what we get from that money.

When you start championship or event you can get like 15-30 drivers on track. And there is always some people who made like 300 laps on a particular combo. And there is always some people who made nothing here. First ones feel boring cause of second ones. Second ones feel frustrating from first ones. And then both 2 groups widthdraw...

So to make racing more talent-demanding you need either to release new tracks, or make track creation and modification available for race/leagues organisers (there are many ways to make more tracks available).

I do think that devs are completely aware of it and they just want to stick to old scheme - release some amount of features/content, get their money and get back to fixing or any other area of their interest in development.

So in the end the only reason why there is much people online is because LFS is still one of the best simracing thing out there. And I fully understand devs and won't argue with current development policy. But still I leave myself right to cry about more tight hairpins or speed-reducing chikanes and I do not like people finding arguments to stop others to cry about that.
Quote from sgt.flippy :Didn't expect to see this.

I remember you! Yeah, you're right. I started re-playing about... I dunno a year or so? I was looking forward to having to plunk down another 20 pounds for S3 too. I'm not really disappointed as I got more than my money's worth from LFS but I am quite intrigued as to why it's been this long (I think I quit playing around 2007?) and not much was needed to get current.
I only play single player and I don't even bother with the wheel. I play old school with the mouse and K/Board now LOL I think I have more fun that ways anyhow. I lost all the skins I had and ain't quite sure how to get them back. Oh well. It's not all that high on my priority list anyways.
But I am stuck on something. I'm trying to make a decent rally set-up for the RAC.
I was going to make some more skins, but I dunno. I really could care less what the car looks like and I doubt anyone out there is that hard up for car skins anyways. Plus, they changed that all up now. I wouldn't know how to upload a skin nowadays if Scawen himself held my hand through the whole process.
Quote from Racer Y :
I was going to make some more skins, but I dunno. I really could care less what the car looks like and I doubt anyone out there is that hard up for car skins anyways. Plus, they changed that all up now. I wouldn't know how to upload a skin nowadays if Scawen himself held my hand through the whole process.

!!

Why is this so difficult!

COULDN'T CARE LESS MAKES SENSE

COULD NOT CARE LESS MAKES SENSE

COULD CARE LESS IS A STUPID THING TO SAY AS INFORMING SOMEONE THAT YOU COULD, IF YOU TRIED, ACTUALLY CARE LESS IS A POINTLESS STATEMENT.

ALSO THE SKIN UPLOAD PROCESS HAS NOT CHANGED, JUST ADDED THE ABILITY TO DRAG+DROP SKINS IF YOU HAVE A BROWSER THAT WASN'T BUILT IN 1982.
Quote from Bose321 :Don't get excited though. It didn't live up to the hype and certainly is not better than LFS.

Oh dont be so silly. AC surpasses LFS in every aspect. (well, every aspect of the features it currently has) You don't have to be some sort of AC fanboy to recognise that.
It's just a matter of time people realize what Early Access or even BETA means. I hope that time comes really soon. Any hype over a non-released game is bullshit. Talk crap about the actual thing if it comes and and would suck, which I doubt cause the current version already owns every sim out there.
This thread is closed

We know it's practically dead, so
(147 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG