The online racing simulator
iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
Quote from Jertje :The fog does change the behaviour of the cars and engines.

Yea.. but it doesn't. Did extensive testing and there's no significant difference at all.

People just think because it's a car from the 60's it must automatically have been the most difficult car to drive ever made because Jim Clark was superhuman etcetc.

As I said before, I'll try to hold back on hating iRacing's GPL revival and focus my hatred on iRacing physics themselves.

Oh, I heard they went BACK in their tyre model 'updates' on the Radical and V8SC so that might be why they handle somewhat decently.
Quote from BlueFlame :Yea.. but it doesn't. Did extensive testing and there's no significant difference at all.

People just think because it's a car from the 60's it must automatically have been the most difficult car to drive ever made because Jim Clark was superhuman etcetc.

As I said before, I'll try to hold back on hating iRacing's GPL revival and focus my hatred on iRacing physics themselves.

Oh, I heard they went BACK in their tyre model 'updates' on the Radical and V8SC so that might be why they handle somewhat decently.

<3 skippy now
The top 4 drivers in the road DWC refuse to race due to the F1 car being that broken.
Quote from PMD9409 :The top 4 drivers in the road DWC refuse to race due to the F1 car being that broken.

Broken? What's wrong with it?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Broken? What's wrong with it?

Feels more like a hovercraft than an F1 car, has no mechanical grip and aero isn't great either. Drifts everywhere but is so twitchy that slides are almost impossible to catch. Has so little grip that 200 km/h 1st gears are needed just to get a little traction, and the Lotus 49 literally has more grip under traction and more mechanical grip.
What you mean by mechanical grip?
Quote from The Very End :What you mean by mechanical grip?

Grip generated by the tyres and the chassis/suspension etc. The opposite of aerodynamic grip.
Quote from StableX :I really thought I'd hate the L49 but it's really the rewarding car of restraint!

did I just hear you say restraint. You and restraint . You are the first person to go ballistic on track
Quote from PMD9409 :The fog changes nothing, the humidity and temperature does.

Tomato, tomahto. I guess I didn't notice that humidity doesn't have a linear connection to fog, although it is the same slider. My bad then.

There are still weather conditions which have a profound effect on grip and engine performance though. It's a (small) step towards something of dynamic day/night transitions with the resulting weather changes, so all good in my book.

The Lotus I don't care much for. I thought I might, but it's a little too much for my taste. I have no doubt that Jim Clark was a genius, but then so was Chapman. The car I'm driving in the sim wasn't designed by a genius however, but by a madman. Anyone who drove it would have been bonkers as well, because a car that starts to wander around on a perfectly straight track above 200kph but still has lots more speed to gain... well I'm not sure anyone from the era would have survived even a single race weekend.

I get the feeling that the success of the Lotus on iRacing is based more on the comparison to GPL, which was of course ridiculously difficult. People are reminded of that difficulty and rejoice in the fact that they can finally spin out in the middle of a straight, over a tiny bump, in top gear again. I'm just not so sure about the car yet, but that might be because the whole era falls completely out of my scope of understanding despite having read books, seen documentaries, etc.

We'll see if it holds true in a next iteration of the tyre model. The Skippy was crazy intense for the better part of 5 years, and the last tyre model dumbed it down to a mere shade of its former craziness.
I wish I knew what wheel you guys are using. All this "the car feels great" stuff I just don't understand. The ffb in iracing is nothing more than a bump detector.
Quote from PMD9409 :The top 4 drivers in the road DWC refuse to race due to the F1 car being that broken.

oops.
Quote from Jshort :bullocks. Those guys will race no matter what is given to them. Considering how well Huttu has been treated by iracing he is very loyal to them I'm sure.

They didnt race today, because the car wasnt fun to drive.
Quote from IsaacPrice :They didnt race today, because the car wasnt fun to drive.

hehe. just noticed. Huttu will win the championship anyways. He doens't have too.
Drove the 49 some more. Now I'm not qualified to say much about the tyres but I do think you guys have a point. There's several points around The Glen where I've been running straight, hit a bump and then get sent into this wild fishtail all the way to the next corner.

That's at a relatively smooth track too, I think I'm going to go try Limerock now.

Perfect time for Assetto Corsa to release their game
Quote from Jshort :I wish I knew what wheel you guys are using. All this "the car feels great" stuff I just don't understand. The ffb in iracing is nothing more than a bump detector.

How about you tell us what wheel you are using, and we'll take it from there..

Whilst I would agree that the feel of track bumps through the wheel is greatly exaggerated, you should have no problem at all with feeling the tyre grip and weight shift perfectly well if your wheel is set up correctly.

EDIT: Are you Joshua? (the thread in the iRacing forum calling the FFB just a bump detector is the giveaway) If so, try actually giving people the information the want so they can help you

EDIT 2: Ahh, you must be Jamie
Quote from Jertje :Tomato, tomahto. I guess I didn't notice that humidity doesn't have a linear connection to fog, although it is the same slider. My bad then.

There are still weather conditions which have a profound effect on grip and engine performance though. It's a (small) step towards something of dynamic day/night transitions with the resulting weather changes, so all good in my book.

Oh I agree, just pointing out that the fog was nothing more than visual.

The "dynamic" weather that is currently there is quite interesting. I haven't seen the temperature itself change, nor the humidity, but the wind speed and direction changes rapidly. Within 3 seconds I've seen it go from N @ 5kph to SW @ 23kph. I'm assuming it is the preference of who hosts, but it can be quite drastic for the lighter cars (can lose like .3 on straight).
My one rage about Montreal...

If you oversteer into one of the many chicanes and have to really correct yourself to save it, you often end up cutting the next turn and getting a black fag to add to the time you just lost nearly spinning out. Gets real annoying when you drive a car that spends 90% of its time sliding.
Saying that the L49 is the most communicative car in iRacing says it all, doesn't it?

I feel the bumps, but I get no aligning forces at all. If I slide out and let the wheel go it does nothing.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
T500RS/ TM8RS with latest drivers and firmwares and default iRacing settings. Others sims give great feedback, but iRacing feels numb with some bumps thrown in. Looking at videos and descriptions, the L49 should at least try to fight me a little.
Quote from atledreier :
I feel the bumps, but I get no aligning forces at all. If I slide out and let the wheel go it does nothing.

This... The way the 49 sort of loses control all on it's own when after it has been fully settled on corner exit, you squirt it on teh straight and it's almost like the open diff is transferring the power from left to right like a pendulum.
Guys, try the 49 at Lime Rock. It's absolutely shit your pants hilarious.
I can imagine
Bought the L49 - I think it handles better than what I anticipated. It doesn't spin too easily and doesn't feel oversteery as hell. It has a consistent swaying feel for the suspension but it feels predictable and natural.
Quote from Bmxtwins :It has a consistent swaying feel for the suspension but it feels predictable and natural.

Have you ever driven a car?

A constant swaying feel is most certainly NOT natural behaviour.

iRacing - chapter III
(1141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG