The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
ignore what alot of posters are saying on the forums,its an improvement but you cant give a proper impression as there is so much work to do,winds me up when people say,`wow the z4 is brilliant now`,its using Formula A slicks for crying out loud !!
Tango
Quote from Tango :ignore what alot of posters are saying on the forums,its an improvement but you cant give a proper impression as there is so much work to do,winds me up when people say,`wow the z4 is brilliant now`,its using Formula A slicks for crying out loud !!
Tango

I am happy to see the game progressing, but a few of them are mindless fanboys. every game's got their fanboys, and reading their comments probably makes the developers cringe.
Quote from Gabkicks :...probably makes the developers cringe.

Some of them, maybe, but Ian seems to relish in it.

All the political BS aside... I'm itching to skin that Z4 and I really am still hoping that this turns out to be a top notch product. It's gorgeous to look at, and I want to love it so much. Time will tell...
I have finally moved to C.A.R.S. and I can only say one thing about it:

Two patches a week!

It has a working netcode now and many tracks and cars. GREAT CARS! GREAT TRACKS!

but, oh, I need a faster computer and graphics...my framrate is only arround 22 with minimum resolution on a computer which frankly is great for lfs.
those patches wont be so frequent once the multiplayer is smoothed out,it needs alot of work and so they release the updates to the lower members to help speed up the development,maybe this friday multiplayer might be available to team members and lower(?).
Tango
Go buy the license off EA then, it's RUF or nothing far as licensing goes.

Heck when Porsche won't even let mod teams use their cars then it really is EA or nothing.
as long as its a real licensed car everything is great. There are so many small manufacturers (Mosler, Weineck, Artega, Wiessman, Veritas etc.) that I haven't seen in a game yet, and guess are pretty easy to get licensed, and would like the free advertising.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Go buy the license off EA then, it's RUF or nothing far as licensing goes.

Heck when Porsche won't even let mod teams use their cars then it really is EA or nothing.

Sad state of affairs, for sure. Bloody EA

Quote from ACCAkut :as long as its a real licensed car everything is great. There are so many small manufacturers (Mosler, Weineck, Artega, Wiessman, Veritas etc.) that I haven't seen in a game yet, and guess are pretty easy to get licensed, and would like the free advertising.

I'd actually prefer a notPorsche 911 GT3 Cup car than a licensed RUF.
Porsche would still slap WMD with a lawsuit for anything that looks vaguely like a Porsche, this was discussed over at VirtualR when the Enduracers mod got stopped by Porsche's legal department
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Porsche would still slap WMD with a lawsuit for anything that looks vaguely like a Porsche, this was discussed over at VirtualR when the Enduracers mod got stopped by Porsche's legal department

Just tweaked enough to be classified as different is what the team has been doing so far. Their lawyers have told them 3 changes is all it takes. Obviously it's not rock solid, but I'm sure they could come up with something. A GT class with no Porkies is just... weird.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Porsche would still slap WMD with a lawsuit for anything that looks vaguely like a Porsche, this was discussed over at VirtualR when the Enduracers mod got stopped by Porsche's legal department

Porche's legal department? You sure ?

I would think EA with their apparently-for-life -Porsche-Unleashed -license would be more interested in their moneymaker being used in any game/sim rather than Porsche GmbH.
What is there with RUF that PD were able to 'exploit' to include them in the Gran Turismo games which now stops them, or others, licensing RUF content and it looking 100% like RUF content, let alone this '3 changes' rule.

Personally, i'd rather have fictional content than 'Asano' type cars and their impossible to spot changes which are enough to wriggle free of legal action, but deep down its still dishonest and replicating content without owning the license to do so.
I've never given a hoot about obtaining any license, im sat at a computer playing a game where im pretending im driving a car around a track, as long as it feels right and provides all the right challenges, i dont care whether it happens to be a virtual replica of a real world car/track, so FZR @ BL1 or Z4 GT3 @ Brands Hatch, im not fussed. As long as theres a decent spread of car types & performances, and track styles, thats all i need, and any 'Not-' content just feels dishonest personally. Obviously its justified at the moment, pre-release, but if any unlicensed content appears as 'Not-' content then i'll be very disappointed.
Quote from Krane :Porche's legal department? You sure ?

I would think EA with their apparently-for-life -Porsche-Unleashed -license would be more interested in their moneymaker being used in any game/sim rather than Porsche GmbH.

Yes, they after all stopped EnduRacers releasing their rf mod thanks to legal problems (i.e. a C&D letter), that had zero to do with EA at all.
Quote from PaulC2K :What is there with RUF that PD were able to 'exploit' to include them in the Gran Turismo games which now stops them, or others, licensing RUF content and it looking 100% like RUF content, let alone this '3 changes' rule.

Personally, i'd rather have fictional content than 'Asano' type cars and their impossible to spot changes which are enough to wriggle free of legal action, but deep down its still dishonest and replicating content without owning the license to do so.
I've never given a hoot about obtaining any license, im sat at a computer playing a game where im pretending im driving a car around a track, as long as it feels right and provides all the right challenges, i dont care whether it happens to be a virtual replica of a real world car/track, so FZR @ BL1 or Z4 GT3 @ Brands Hatch, im not fussed. As long as theres a decent spread of car types & performances, and track styles, thats all i need, and any 'Not-' content just feels dishonest personally. Obviously its justified at the moment, pre-release, but if any unlicensed content appears as 'Not-' content then i'll be very disappointed.

I'm more or less in the same boat; though I'd still like something very close to a 911 GT3 Cup. Doesn't have to be a 1:1 replica, but something close.

Quote from DieKolkrabe :Yes, they after all stopped EnduRacers releasing their rf mod thanks to legal problems (i.e. a C&D letter), that had zero to do with EA at all.

The ultimate irony is that Porsche got into a big thing over Automaniax, when they essentially stole work from SMS and showed it without their knowledge.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Yes, they after all stopped EnduRacers releasing their rf mod thanks to legal problems (i.e. a C&D letter), that had zero to do with EA at all.

You'd be foolish to think that EA didn't have anything to do with the whole automaniax or Enduracers saga
Quote from DejaVu :You'd be foolish to think that EA didn't have anything to do with the whole automaniax or Enduracers saga

EA has nothing to do with Automaniax. It's been commissioned by Porsche themselves, EA can't stop it. The problem with that title was that SMS did work for it, wasn't paid, the deal fell through, then they used it anyways without SMS's knowledge or approval.
Just try it.. with the new SETA Tyres Physics its awesome.. Its not finished yet, but look very interesting!

Guys keep your minds open!
Is the new tyre physics on all (more) cars yet, or is it just the Formula A? I've stopped following things so closely, and at that point it pretty much becomes impossible to follow where things are at, the forums are a mess and theres nothing to explain what stage anything is in really.

Cant say ive been that bothered about racing online, but i've done some hotlapping with Pecker/rc10racer online, which is pretty much the same as we were doing months ago, its just a bit more fun being able to do it online, even though its currently quite restrictive in comparison because you cant tweak the setup, or even change the fuel load (always full tank).

I dont think the netcode is as smooth as LFS, its very good, and im not sure what it is but it doesnt feel quite so silky smooth when around others when theres been plenty of people in there.
Nordschlieffe in the Radicals is fun though

Btw, has anyone seen the screenshots (ive not) which have accidentally been posted on the forums from time to time (and then pulled) which have included Aston Martins?? I've seen it mentioned a few times, just never managed to see it myself. Need someone to grab the image and post it elsewhere so we can all have a nosy
Pictures of Aston Marin? All I can think off is this, then again they just used the shift models in a animation

The new tire model is enabled by default by now (since some days, so probably not in the latest friday release). The tire physics are used on every car however the tire COMPOUND for every car is the one from the FA. So the size of the tires is correct on every car but the compound itself are the FA slicks for every car.

FYI the funding will most probably be finished this/next moth, so if you want a great package for 10€ you get it quickly

Edit: The Capri is the first car with its own tire compound, but of course with the first pass of physics
Those animations are AMAZING!
Quote from John5200 :Pictures of Aston Marin? All I can think off is this, then again they just used the shift models in a animation

The new tire model is enabled by default by now (since some days, so probably not in the latest friday release). The tire physics are used on every car however the tire COMPOUND for every car is the one from the FA. So the size of the tires is correct on every car but the compound itself are the FA slicks for every car.

FYI the funding will most probably be finished this/next moth, so if you want a great package for 10€ you get it quickly

Edit: The Capri is the first car with its own tire compound, but of course with the first pass of physics

Not sure why they've forced FA tyres, i know it was possible to do but it seems a little backwards to give a Rookie the FA levels of tyre grip etc.

The Aston comments come from here:
http://forum.wmdportal.com/sho ... amp;viewfull=1#post261335

and here (same thread)
http://forum.wmdportal.com/sho ... amp;viewfull=1#post261664
"Not to mention these NotAston_Martins we've seen a couple of times by accident on some of the pictures. "

2 separate sightings confirmed, but none by me which is the most important thing
Quote from John5200 :FYI the funding will most probably be finished this/next moth, so if you want a great package for 10€ you get it quickly

Cashflow must be getting tight again. They seem to say this every now and again and then nothing happens.

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG