The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6B5 (now B8 - multiplayer improvements - no change to physics)
WARNING : THIS IS A TEST

NOTE : THIS DOES NOT CONTAIN NEW TYRE PHYSICS / VW SCIROCCO / ROCKINGHAM

PLEASE TEST BEFORE YOU POST

NO OFF-TOPIC FEATURE REQUESTS

NO UNRELATED COMMENTS

Hello Racers, here is a new TEST PATCH : 0.6B8

You can read about why this update was needed in the main forum thread :
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=80675

0.6B8 is NOT compatible with version 0.6B
0.6B8 CAN play replays from version 0.6B

You cannot upload hotlaps made with 0.6B8 because it is a test patch.

Please keep a backup of your LFS.exe from 0.6B so you can easily go back if there are any problems.

Changes from 0.6B7 to 0.6B8 :

FIX : Two instances of LFS no longer write to the same MPR / SPR
Connection now closes if no packets are received for 40 seconds
SHIFT + N : sound on / off now works in multiplayer screens
Pit exit direction arrow now works in open configurations
Updates to Latvian, Serbian, Indonesian, Romanian
Latvian training lessons now included

Changes from 0.6B6 to 0.6B7 :

FIX : Guests were often kicked after another took over their car
Instead of "LAG (seconds)" now "username (seconds)" is displayed
Timer bounding increased to 30 sec for normal LFS (graphic mode)
Timer bounding stays at 6 sec for non-graphical dedicated hosts

Changes from 0.6B5 to 0.6B6 :

Repaired most translations with a small update on one line
FIX : Guest disconnected if host used InSim IS_PLC packet

Changes from 0.6B to 0.6B5 :

Improved multiplayer system :

Game only needs host packets to continue processing
Quicker joining to host - no waiting for other players
No waiting for packets from players with slow connections
Leaving a host is instantaneous even if a guest is connecting
Longer timeouts avoid disconnection due to short interruptions

(NOTE : no change to physics - old replays are still valid)

Other changes :

Two new translations : Indonesian and Romanian
New hacker protection applied to multiplayer packets
Improved checks on validity of user names while connecting
User names now confirmed with master server after connection
OOS / CPW messages now show user name instead of player name
Removed message "Got master packet" from network debug output
No buffer overflows from hangs or operating system time changes
User name in brackets now shown at end of disconnection messages
New "Authorised" message on host links user name with ip address
Race setup screen /clear command can now only be used by admins
Ability of guests to vote or select tracks now enforced by host

InSim :

Added new leave reasons (CPW / OOS / JOOS / HACK) for IS_CNL
Change to in-game usage of IS_REO - only valid after SMALL_VTA

Fixes :

Custom view was not set to new car type on replay restart
Duplicate lines in scripts could cause unexpected results
Virtual speedo sometimes overlapped numbers (e.g. XRG km/h)
Circuit length is no longer displayed for open configurations
LFS could crash when displaying laps for fuel after short laps
Ready status in lobby is now checked when a player disconnects
Load WE1R on dedicated host - Checkpoint 1 path node not found
User's controller type was not shown after taking over a car
SHIFT+R near end of SPR could make cars swap between players

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS :

A FULL version of LFS 0.6B (or later) must already be installed

To install the PATCH using the SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
4) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

NOTE : You can see if the patch is correctly installed when you run
the program (LFS.exe). At the bottom of the entry screen : 0.6B8

DOWNLOADS :

PATCH 0.6B TO 0.6B8 (SELF EXTRACTING ARCHIVE) (if you already have 0.6B) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6B_TO_6B8.exe (2.0 MB)

PATCH 0.6B TO 0.6B8 (ALTERNATIVE ZIP) (if you already have 0.6B) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6B_TO_6B8.zip (2.5 MB)

DEDICATED HOST 0.6B8 (non-graphical version for hosting only) :
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_6B8.zip (1.6 MB)
-
(DANIEL-CRO) DELETED by DANIEL-CRO
-
(DANIEL-CRO) DELETED by Flame CZE : corrected
Every now and then I notice I get DCed without the timeout bar capping off. (normal ping and while all cars around me appear to be visible).

It is just a random disconnect without a laggy timout - encountered initially in 0.6B. I am still unsure of the cause.

I'm looking for the same issue in B5, but hoping it might have been resolved accidentally with this patch.

It's hard to catch this however in some submittable evidence. Looking for a way to reproduce deliberately.

Ill linger on one listed test server (assuming that with hopes that this might reappear( and maybe appear in logs? ) with hopes the cause could be found ( assuming it isn't my ISP being an ass to me ).
didn't seem so laggy
I moved the "thanks" and "thumbs up" posts to the spam.

It's nice to say thanks but on the test patch threads we only want your thanks if you can also comment on the results of your testing, good or bad.
Oh i love the new patch!
#6 - OTone
Going to try it out

Update:

Looks it is working cool so far. No problems what so ever.

I notice joining the track now is faster, much faster. Joining the server is also much faster.

Incredible
I can connect a lot faster now.

How much time do I have to update the translation, before you make this patch official?
#8 - troy
My god, there's huge red letters about not posting random spam and still people manage to do it.

Question regarding one change that doesn't seem to be mentioned:

There is just one single lag bar now, is that on purpose? In the stable version we get one lagbar for every player connected.
Attached images
lagbar.jpg
I guess it's intended now that we aren't reliant on other connections while leaving and joining.
Bug: All cars disappear and show as "lagging (...)", unable to recover without reconnecting.

Reproduce steps: Enter windowed mode while on server, keep window in drag mode by holding down the left mouse button on the title bar for more than 10 seconds.
Attached images
lfs-b5-lag-1.jpg
If LFS is windowed and I hold the title bar for 15-20 seconds and let it go, I can't see any cars, all I get is LAG (time), but the chat is working normaly.
Attached images
lfs_00000073.jpg
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Bug: All cars disappear and show as "lagging (...)", unable to recover without reconnecting.

Reproduce steps: Enter windowed mode while on server, keep window in drag mode by holding down the left mouse button on the title bar for more than 10 seconds.

Quote from kitu_gudu :If LFS is windowed and I hold the title bar for 15-20 seconds and let it go, I can't see any cars, all I get is LAG (time), but the chat is working normaly.

Reproduced here, except it recovers itself after a little while.
"^8" after username is missing in "Lost connection to X"
I noticed this little mistake in the translations. Now when the username is displayed in brackets after a disconnect message, it is needed to have a default colour code (^8) after the username. But it is not there after the "Lost connection to X (Y)" message (3a_lostcn_x).

It seems to be missing in most translations.
› ‹host› : Security (93)
The following error is triggered when I start my InSim application (see attachment): › ‹host› : Security (93)

consequences:
===========
• All players online get disconnected.
• My InSim application does not crash and the IS_CNL reason reported is LEAVR_DISCO.

I'm confident my InSim application is to blame, the library used by it (InSim.NET) has not yet been updated so the IS_CNL reason might not be accurate. However, it might be helpful to know what this Security (93) stands for.

I have replays saved but I will continue testing in order to report something more conclusive next time.
Attached images
0.6B5 log.jpg
Wow, yeah.. Airio is incompatible now too because of this security 93.. hmm
Quote from sicotange :The following error is triggered when I start my InSim application (see attachment): › ‹host› : Security (93)

consequences:
===========
• My InSim application does not crash and the IS_CNL reason reported is LEAVR_DISCO.

I'm confident my InSim application is to blame, the library used by it (InSim.NET) has not yet been updated so the IS_CNL reason might not be accurate. However, it might be helpful to know what this Security (93) stands for.

I have replays saved but I will continue testing in order to report something more conclusive next time.

Quote from cargame.nl :Wow, yeah.. Airio is incompatible now too because of this security 93.. hmm

Thank you - this is caused by the IS_PLC packet.

It is 100% my fault, the guests believe the packet that the host sends is a hacked packet because I set a value wrongly in the protection table.

So B6 will be out within an hour...
"Timer binding" seems to be working fine. LFS no longer freezes on abrupt time jumps backwards and InSim apps don't timeout when time jumps forward. However, all sounds go silent when such a jump takes place and the only way to get it back is to switch the sound off and on again with SHIFT+N (sound buffer reset?).
Quote from Flame CZE :I noticed this little mistake in the translations. Now when the username is displayed in brackets after a disconnect message, it is needed to have a default colour code (^8) after the username. But it is not there after the "Lost connection to X (Y)" message (3a_lostcn_x).

It seems to be missing in most translations.

Quote from sicotange :The following error is triggered when I start my InSim application (see attachment): › ‹host› : Security (93)

consequences:
===========

These issues are now fixed in 0.6B6

Everyone who downloaded B5 must now get B6, or they may disconnect themselves from hosts with the security error.
Guest connection is very fast, taking around half a second. Observed both as guest and seeing other guests connecting. On only one occasion it was taking about two sec at which point i left server without a hitch (not possible before). After that i tired joining same server again but i got username already online msg for about half a minute. Although I can't say that it has to do with test patch, can't say that it doesn't either

Seen a lot of lost connections messages but not a single timeout. There was no previous sign that it would happen (bars rising), it just happened without any problems for other cars. Didn't observe the car prior to losing connection yet so can't tell whats happening - if there is a nasty sign like car jerking all around prior.

Generally it feels like B with better, smoother netcode. Like singleplayer
This all was on server with around 20 people.

One thing i feel is made worse tho. Like troy written there is only one connection bar visible bottom-left. So the only way to identify someone is lagging is to visually identify him. When that's done it usually too late, if u get me. As i said we can't tell if someone has connection issues as there are no signs of it except directly visual. Multiple bars showing was the other, not ideal but something
"TIMER BOUNDED"

when connect. what this mean ?
Tried it, everything seemed fine but i couldn't really tell a huge difference as there were only 2-3 people on a server
running it now on wkd soo much quicker to join and leave really good patch nice one =)
In definite time have disconnect users... I joined in this server "0.6B6 TEST".
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Bug: All cars disappear and show as "lagging (...)", unable to recover without reconnecting.

I followed these steps and am also able to reproduce this problem, however the first time I tried the track disapered instead strangely (whilst spectating another user)

I found that after about 300 seconds when I tabbed back into LFS everything had fixed itself but it was not the tabbing that did this because I had tabbed in/out multiple times before this
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG