The online racing simulator
Honestly, Oval racing is quite decent in LFS, though not sufficiently done. Kyoto Oval only? There are much bigger ovals IRL and some cars even need to lift for the final corner(unless one uses ultra-speciallized staggered setups). This idea of a Nardo Style test track is exactly what LFS needs. Nothing like a slalom, skidpad, acceleration and topspeed run all on the same place all at once. No need to shuffle around different arenas like we do with the autocross just for thoses tests.

So far, there is no place to test the top speed potential of most of the cars. Same for slaloms (transient tests).
156 posts in this thread....hmm....and still the old oval/circuttrack discussion....isn`t it sometimes funny? we`re all writing in here and know what? don`t think the devs even read this cauze when they would have closed it in my oppinion!

why are so many people against another oval? you don`t like it? you don`t drive it! why say "NO" if you get something new in a game? and don`t come out with "the devs are working on other thinks and `shouldn`t waste the time bla bla bla"! that`s bullshit! they worked on other languages and something for the menu in the other patch! if someone comes out with this then tell me why waste the time with the menu and languages when it is about racing like they ever say?

@VIKTOR: you saied that lfs is not an oval sim! that`s right BUT what is the most used track? and maybe then you see what people would like to have in the game...
Quote from Jamexing :Lets clarify the true nature of ovals.

Yes, they look vastly oversimplified compared to even the simplest road courses. But look again.

IRL, each oval, rioval or any circuit of such nature has its very unique characteristics. Every bump, every imperfection, every nuance... the technicalities are infinite. This is one place where winners and losers are defined by hundredths of a second or mms. The dedication, the discipline, the perfection of the racing line...

So, before ANYONE bashes ovals, think of the above statements.

But that can easierly be applied to Circuit racing as well.

And isn't blackwood the most raced track?
Try doing constant 200+mph on a massive oval 1 hour straight with consistantly fast lap times. Then say its easy if one thinks so.
i`m talking about S2 not Demo + S2
Jamexing: Try doing consistantly fast lap times for an hour on any track :/. Sure it ain't at 200mph constantly, but it will be a hell of a lot harder imo.
My point is, none is truely EASY, so don't underestimate oval skills. There was once a race of american oval drivers against WRC drivers on a rally special stage, just for the fun and good show. The WRC camp includes the likes of Marcus gronholm and other European rally drivers. The Americans have your Indycar and Nascar oval guys. All drove WRC style rallycars.

Guess who wins in the end? The "stupid americans that can only turn left". After the race, one eof the european drivers said, with his index finger spinning anto-clockwise:

"I thought americans could only turn left. Surprise, surprise."

So much for the road courses always require more skilled than ovals theory.
Quote from Jamexing :My point is, none is truely EASY, so don't underestimate oval skills. There was once a race of american oval drivers against WRC drivers on a rally special stage, just for the fun and good show. The WRC camp includes the likes of Marcus gronholm and other European rally drivers. The Americans have your Indycar and Nascar oval guys. All drove WRC style rallycars.

Guess who wins in the end? The "stupid americans that can only turn left". After the race, one eof the european drivers said, with his index finger spinning anto-clockwise:

"I thought americans could only turn left. Surprise, surprise."

So much for the road courses always require more skilled than ovals theory.

Uhm btw. Nascar Racing includes even curcuit tracks like Watkins Glen (i love it) and Sears Point (Infinion). Dont know if they are still there or if there are any new tracks but Nascar = pure Oval ? hmm i dont think so. Would be a shame to use these cars only at ovals
Got a link to this race? never heard of it before. And I bet most oval racers have at least some circuit experince.

I think alot of the oval bashers don't underestermate the drivers skills. They just find it alot more boring then circuit racing. Most of the stuff that happens in an oval happens on a circuit, and its usualy more interesting.
Quote from Jamexing :Honestly, Oval racing is quite decent in LFS, though not sufficiently done. ...

have you tried nascar 2003? that's what i call "decent". racing the bf1 in the oval feels weird.

btw.:
the oval racers got destroyed by everyone else when i was at the race of champions 2 years ago, but as i said: this isn't about RL Oval racing.
I just happen to believe most major disciplines of motorsports should be as well represented as possible. And yes, that game's a true oval haven.
Quote from Ecret666 :
@VIKTOR: you saied that lfs is not an oval sim! that`s right BUT what is the most used track? and maybe then you see what people would like to have in the game...

In terms of laps of miles yes, because no other track is 200mph all round and few others take 31 secs to lap. By simply looking at your connection list you'll see the oval isn't very popular and it's a few people who are always on the oval server just racking up there distance/lap/win count for LFSW.
Quote from ajp71 :....a few people who are always on the oval server just racking up there distance/lap/win count for LFSW.

Sorry, but that´s wrong. It´s about nice close races and pb-hunting. We don´t care about the LFS statistics. The statistics are too easy to cheat. (Own server, 1-2 lap races)

BTW. I hate to win on the oval. Good to have a breakpedal to use on start/finish. =)
Quote from Ecret666 :@VIKTOR: you saied that lfs is not an oval sim! that`s right BUT what is the most used track? and maybe then you see what people would like to have in the game...

The most used? I dont think so. All you have to do is look at lfsw for that. How many oval server's are up? And how many non-oval? Those "most used" stats are a bit decieving.
Attached images
1 server.JPG
Quote from Crazy Harry :We don´t care about the LFS statistics.

That doesnt fit together with your sig.
But these miles shown there are almost exclusively driven with the fastest car (pre-patch FO8, post-patch BF1).

The other tracks are also driven with UF1, XFG/XRG... Takes a little bit longer to drive 1 km, doesnt it?
Average speed at oval tracks, typical race (BF1) 200 mph+

Average speed at circuits, typically less than 100mph

You don't have to be a genius to work out that the oval should wrap up double the laps than any other track.
Quote from zeugnimod :But these miles shown there are almost exclusively driven with the fastest car (pre-patch FO8, post-patch BF1).

The other tracks are also driven with UF1, XFG/XRG... Takes a little bit longer to drive 1 km, doesnt it?

...used by the fastest cars that do not even need to brake. i think the average speed on the oval is twice as high as on "normal" tracks.

edit: ajp71 was faster.
yeah ok! fastest car and fastest track. but if it all that genius tell me one thing!

how many ovals are there and how many for example blackwood tracks are there? 1 oval what the picture shows that another one posted! so how can it be double up when there is only one oval server and don`t know let me say 3 or 4 blackwood server?

you don`t have to be a genius to work out (to say it in your words ajp71!) that more server = more people = more cars = more (in this case 3 or 4 times biger) amounts of driven kilometers

and please don`t come up with "the servers aren`t full all the time!" so isn`t the oval!
Leaving "stats" aside: You dont want to seriously say, that the oval is the most popular track in LFS, do you? illepall

And IMO, theres just no sense in having another track with 3 or 4 left corners. One is enough.
did i sayed that in any post? maybe one of the popular track but not the popular itself!

does it hurt you so much to have another oval like nardo or any other? did at one point a oval driver ever sayed "ohh great another circut track! that is so stupid!"? can`t remember something like that! you got your leages like the OWRL why not letting us go maybe with something like a OWOL (Open Wheel Oval Leag)? we only want something new like everyone does!
Quote from Ecret666 :yeah ok! fastest car and fastest track. but if it all that genius tell me one thing!

how many ovals are there and how many for example blackwood tracks are there? 1 oval what the picture shows that another one posted! so how can it be double up when there is only one oval server and don`t know let me say 3 or 4 blackwood server?

you don`t have to be a genius to work out (to say it in your words ajp71!) that more server = more people = more cars = more (in this case 3 or 4 times biger) amounts of driven kilometers

and please don`t come up with "the servers aren`t full all the time!" so isn`t the oval!

But if what you say was true, and the oval was the most popular, or most used track, wouldnt there be more than one oval server? If not, wouldnt the one server be full all the time? If not for the [FM] team and a few other's, that "driven distance" would be no where near where it is. No offense to Failure, but if you delete just his laps, the oval would drop to 4th or 5th.

I think people dont want another oval because they/I feel that it is a waste of the dev's time when they could/are work/working on something that is more gratifing to the majority of lfs users. If you want a game that is a oval sim, may i recommend n2003. That game is actually challenging, where the current lfs oval is just a handy way to catch up on some sleep.

I just checked lfs world again, and it is 7:00pm here on the east coast of the U.S.(prime time here for all the so called "american oval racers") there are approx 210 people racing online, only 5 are on 2 oval server's.
stay on topic guys and forget the statistics because theres no goal at all. This is not a oval - curcuit discussion but a discussion about new test tracks, areas - you name it. And one more thing, sure the devs got more things to do that are way more important then adding tracks or whatever but it could be added later when there is time. And to everybody that dont like the idea thats ok, you dont have to play it, just like you dont have to play the Oval right now. And removing tracks because some of you dont like it is illepall. This is not a oval simulation but a simulation for everybody that likes racing no mater what kind of. Or am i wrong with that?
Quote from 510N3D :And to everybody that dont like the idea thats ok, you dont have to play it

well if there not gonna use it why should they ask the devs to stop doing something else to get it? illepall

Nardo Highspeed Test Facility
(205 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG