The online racing simulator
the old "i-am-too-tired-to-answere-this" snakeish way out of this discussion...

BTW. the Trackfiles are maybe done in the program Pro/Engeneer which is a CAD-Programm, which uses .lgh files (maybe someone needed just that hint for going further...) but i don*t know if this is a good hint....
@ Fischfix - LFS has the unique position of being a racing sim that is actually raced online with a good number of public servers and people racing all the time. If mods start coming along that will all go to pot like I here it has in rFactor. The best sort of mods in terms of cars are those which are done totally without support or easy tools, this way the few mods that do get done have big teams and a lot of time and effort put in to get them really polished, look at N2003 GTP and GPL 65 + 69. Now look at rFactor and the number of crap mods that have come out for it, do you actually want LFS to turn into this? I don't.

As for tracks if you want addon tracks look to N2003 or GPL, both don't get much good public racing on road courses although there is good league racing. If you can stand them then also look at the ISI games as they have plenty of mods to keep you happy.

As for oval racing look at either N2003 or maybe mods for rFactor. LFS atm doesn't have proper oval racing and that's a very good thing IMO the oval rules and so on can come later but finally a sim since GPL that hasn't been a constant battle to get rid of traces of ovalness (or ISI). The oval in LFS does serve a purpose, it keeps those who otherwise would be all over the place on the race tracks doing something they can manage and maybe keeps some true oval fans happy although I guess most of them will still be in N2003 or NSR.
We do need more ovals....this I can agree on 100%. Everyone is entitled to their preferances so if you prefer road coarses then so be it and if you like ovals as well then it should also have more than 2 choices available...whether you like ovals or the people on here does not matter....what does is the fact that we would like to state a request and it is that we would hope to see something like this for testing purposes and possibly 1 or 2 other ovals configurations.
I'm not much of an oval racer, but I don't see what's wrong with the suggestion. Although I would prefer a bigger (like 1 minute in BF1) pear-shaped Oval (i.e. two turns with very different radii). In the in-field maybe have a small dirt oval that can be combined with the narrow turn of the oval or something like that.
I think if LFS was to go for another oval it should be either a speedway or short track. As for oval cars, Nascars have been done too many times too well in Papy sims, however, there's not been a decent recent simulation of Cart or Indycars could be interesting to have one for the R/C racing as well, kind of a heavier more powerful turbo faster FO8
Quote from ajp71 :I think if LFS was to go for another oval it should be either a speedway or short track. As for oval cars, Nascars have been done too many times too well in Papy sims, however, there's not been a decent recent simulation of Cart or Indycars could be interesting to have one for the R/C racing as well, kind of a heavier more powerful turbo faster FO8

Short track! We want a 1/2 miler in LFS, like Bristol.
users are already doing good mods like ghostcar, slickmode eg.. AND
they do a MC1 and a MC1GT for LFS. look at these pictures:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/kegetys/lfs/shots/junk/

A FREAKING MCLaren GT for LFS (proof that its possible to use other models of cars in the game.)

Blackwood without dirt, and with full of dirt (and not just changing the skin but also the physics). Carpark able to position ALL objects which are ACTUALLY right now in the game, but not accessable...

so maybe it is also possible to implement new tracks,...

i don't think the developers can force people not doing such things, and i really don't think the will do it...
Quote from Fischfix :
i don't think the developers can force people not doing such things, and i really don't think the will do it...

The Devs have already banned modding the car shapes so I dobut they'll be too happy with new tracks, just accept that at this stage is officially un-moddable, obvioulsy it could be done with enough reverse engineering like Kegetys has managed to do but the Devs have said no and that's final I'm afraid.

If you want modding go to either a sim/game which actively supports it like rFactor or to one where the Devs aren't connected to the community and can ignore trademark breaches and reverse engineering without making themselves liable for it (GTR/GPL/RBR).
Another bigger oval would be cool. IIRC, the Kyoto Oval is really short and has a certain shape. Another oval like Indianapolis (wider corners, wider track, longer straights) would be awesome.
A larger oval? The oval would be interesting if it were smaller IMO.
Quote from Bob Smith :A larger oval? The oval would be interesting if it were smaller IMO.

I totally agree, what would be the fun in a larger oval?
Yeah, something like bristol or atlanta... A track where you would need to use your brakes
maybe this one will get moved but:

some people should take their head out of the developers ass....

i don't think you get anything for free just by replying the stuff they've said. modding will come, no matter if it is official or not. and i don*t think its bad, because the official game will still support only things the developers want to have in it.

back to topic:
indianapolis would be nice, but yes, a smaller one where you actually have to brake would be nice too. actually i*ve build one on the autopad. but there are no bankings sadly....

www.360degree.tk
or direct
http://www.konzeptundgestaltun ... ks/AU1_360speedway180.lyt
Quote from Chris_Kerry :....what would be the fun in a larger oval?

More draft, more speed, more cars in a corner, more skill......
Yes, smaller oval would be nice. Very very short and high banked one, can't remember the names but there some. And maybe a third one with 2 low banked long corners, but if we had 3 ovals we would allso need a oval car of some sort. Maybe the long wanted heavy american muscle car wit thundering V8 would do it. Ovaling is great if you have to use brakes, then it can be a challenge to drive it and be fast, and when we have brakes heating up simulated...oh boy But in that kind of circle? Hell no.
Quote from Crazy Harry :More draft, more speed, more cars in a corner, more skill......

I agreed until the last point. And I don't the first two as being big plusses. More cars in a corner is good IF all racers are reasonably skilled and aware. Fat chance of that happening.
Quote from Bob Smith :I agreed until the last point. ... More cars in a corner is good IF all racers are reasonably skilled and aware. ...

And why you don´t agree with the last point then?
because you need more skill to race side by side through a turn, where you actually have to brake or at least lift the throttle.
Bob's right - the current oval requires zero skill level (above the basics of turning one way and pressing a pedal hard).
Quote from tristancliffe :Bob's right - the current oval requires zero skill level (above the basics of turning one way and pressing a pedal hard).

so you did many races on the oval and know what you are talking about right?

I mean you like to bring this stupid oval - curcuit racer disscussion foward dont you? I remember you made a post once and i replied http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=158584#post158584 but i bet you havend even read it. I respect you for your know-how at other threads but tbh this is bs.
Quote from tristancliffe :Bob's right - the current oval requires zero skill level (above the basics of turning one way and pressing a pedal hard).

In hotlapping mode, I can see his point. To get those last few hundredth you have to be quite skilled, but I'd say in general, the overall skill level to be able to have a decent lap is quite low.
Quote from Chris_Kerry :In hotlapping mode, I can see his point. To get those last few hundredth you have to be quite skilled, but I'd say in general, the overall skill level to be able to have a decent lap is quite low.

uhm ok maybe you need a bit less skill because there are only 3 corners but if you think this way chris, drafting together is nothing else then hotlapping no matter how many cars are around. So finally i do not agree that the "overall skill level" is that low like you think.

8 laps = 7 laps hotlapping and @ final lap the race starts :P
Quote from 510N3D :uhm ok maybe you need a bit less skill because there are only 3 corners but if you think this way chris, drafting together is nothing else then hotlapping no matter how many cars are around. So finally i do not agree that the "overall skill level" is that low like you think.

I understand your point.

My generalisation comes from my experience of how long it took to get reasonably quick, when I used to race a lot on the oval in the FO8 days compared to how long it too get half decent when I race more on the tracks now.

In oval racing I disagree that when you race it's still just hotlapping. When you bump draft, yes, but when you do the standard draft and pass etc it isn't.

I think you could implement that rule quite safely into your server, the quality of the racing would go up.
Quote from Chris_Kerry :I understand your point.

My generalisation comes from my experience of how long it took to get reasonably quick, when I used to race a lot on the oval in the FO8 days compared to how long it too get half decent when I race more on the tracks now.

In oval racing I disagree that when you race it's still just hotlapping. When you bump draft, yes, but when you do the standard draft and pass etc it isn't.

I think you could implement that rule quite safely into your server, the quality of the racing would go up.

well drafting works best when you stick to the ideal line, you miss it or your partner the lap time gets slower. And yeah i agree mastering the track itselfs do not takes that long compared to any curcuit track but, the track is not the same with 23 cars. Its like there are obsticles added...or some chicanes or whatever...so its getting more diffecult. Hard to explain.
I think I understand, but that's the same in any type of racing. Moving chicanes and all.

Hotlapping though, I think you see my point.

Nardo Highspeed Test Facility
(205 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG