The online racing simulator
#526 - col
Quote from cargame.nl :
I blame Scawen for making it possible to race with <50 FPS

It depends on what class of car. Turbo class or slower is no problem at all at 30fps and manageable dipping to ~20fps occasionally. F1 car on the other hand can be a problem because the car reacts faster to inputs, and everything just happens much faster.
The ideal situation is of course to put this kind of data in the InSim system and let the server manager decide what to do with it.

Actually, I don't get it why this hasn't been done or requested earlier.

Quote from Franky.S :get used to it after some while.

When something goes wrong you have the biggest mouth of how wrong the server is and this and that... I refuse to get used of that moaning.

Most spending a lot of time and money on this then you come across with your 2004 system saying everything is wrong except you. Not cool.

Quote from tobiro :Nope. A majority is 50 % and more, right?! Regarding the dual-cores you're right, but the 5GB+ option just got 30%, that means about 70% have less than 5GB. So the majority has less than 5GB. And also only 42% have DX11, so about 58% have DX10 and less. 58% being the majority of course.

The numbers I took from the above link, at the time I posted.

you're right, sorry, i interpreted it wrong.
Quote from Si Mclaren :Its not me, its because over 10 FPS, its already playable... Anyway, i get 12 just sometimes... The average is 16, what is nothing so bad...

Bullshit! Nothing under 25 fps is playable. I have limited fps to 15 and You can't catch any oversteer in time, You have to drive about 10 second slower on lap to be able to predict how car will behave because You can't see what is happening to Your car in present, there is about 0.0667 s delay between every frame + time of Your reaction + delay in steering (which is greater than normal - A LOT!) gives You about 0.25 - 0.3 second too late reaction.
And when You play online with others You have to see and predict correct route of other cars driving along with You, and when You drive over 150 kph (every car in LFS can reach that speed) even small move of Your controller changes line that Your car is driving on too much to see it in time and react to it with 15 fps!
30 fps is playable but only offline, 40 fps is enough to go online but not anything under it. Even when You switch from 40 fps to 60 You can still see huge diffrence. And as cargame.nl said there should be option to set ping limit on server as in America's Army for example, but as we know LFS is outdated in everything and i don't think anything will change...:mad:
Are you serious guys? I pretty much always play under 30 fps and everything is fine, so you CAN'T say playing <30 fps. online is impossible.
It's all about what you're use to. Back on my old computer I had 15 FPS max, 5 with a full grid, on a 1024x768 with a joystick. Adimittedly, I was shit, but I played LFS for 2 years this way and enjoyed it enough that I was willing to deal with the terrible framerate.

Nowadays I have 100+ FPS consistently and 50 or 60 with a full grid, 3840x1024, and a nice wheel and pedals set. In the rare instence my computer dips below 40 fps because of something in the background, I can't deal with it. In fact, I can't even imagine how the hell I wasracing while running single digit framerates.
16 FPS... Oh my... Why don't you use just photos of LFS?

You don't even imagine what you are causing to other players online...

I admit that playing at 25 to 30 FPS is pretty acceptable... but below that is totally umberable for the ones on a grid with you.
Quote from Si Mclaren :Its not me, its because over 10 FPS, its already playable... Anyway, i get 12 just sometimes... The average is 16, what is nothing so bad...

No.. just... no.

30 FPS is the bare minimum for playing anything and 60 FPS is highly recommended.
Driving around @ bl1 with xfg does not make such a huge difference perhaps...but go with Fzr with 12 fps, clearly impossible to get any decent laptime under the belt. I for one noticed that switching from old p4 to core 2 duo back in the days, i got instantly nearly half a second faster (on my demo years) for some reason. Sure yeah, you could get used to it...but if you are serious about sim racing then anything under 30 is out of the question.
Anything under 20fps is not playable IMO. At 35+ is fine. Around 55-60 is the sweet mark. Of course anything over that doesn't really make any difference.

Oh also the amount of epenis in this thread is hilarious. Even that cute asian chick above is thinking "oh yes"
Quote from edge3147 :LOL @ GT and Forza being racing sims. I've seen better physics in a toilet bowl than those 2 games combined.

You ever seen a crash from either of these games? Pathetic

love this post.

Yes I quoted myself, get over it. hehe
blah blah blah
golden showers this
golden showers that.
-
(Si Mclaren) DELETED by Si Mclaren : Double post
So you guys want to say that im awesome and can be a new WR holder if i get a better PC?

I never had any problem driving with <16 FPS, so the problem is not about the FPS... Also, just to remember: Movies, both on cinemas or Youtube, are just 24 FPS...

Any difference over this CAN'T BE NOTICED BY NAKED EYES...
Quote from Si Mclaren :So you guys want to say that im awesome and can be a new WR holder if i get a better PC?

I never had any problem driving with <16 FPS, so the problem is not about the FPS... Also, just to remember: Movies, both on cinemas or Youtube, are just 24 FPS...

Maybe I could help you to get an upgrade.
Please tell me your system specs.
Frame rate can always be a difference in ability.
Even if it looks smooth on your end.
Most people would not feel comfortable racing at 20 fps.
Or that rate in any other games.
Quote from lol_men :Bullshit! Nothing under 25 fps is playable.

I have limited fps to 15 and You can't catch any oversteer in time, You have to drive about 10 second slower on lap to be able to predict how car will behave because You can't see what is happening to Your car in present, there is about 0.0667 s delay between every frame + time of Your reaction + delay in steering (which is greater than normal - A LOT!) gives You about 0.25 - 0.3 second too late reaction.

And when You play online with others You have to see and predict correct route of other cars driving along with You, and when You drive over 150 kph (every car in LFS can reach that speed) even small move of Your controller changes line that Your car is driving on too much to see it in time and react to it with 15 fps!

To prove that you are wrong, i separated 3 parts, in Bold, Italic and Underlined:

Bold: Adaptation... When i get good FPS (~20, alone on track) and then the FPS fall back again, takes a little time to myself adaptate to the conditions...

Italic: You need to predict how the car will be every corner, not react. This is a difference between a good and a bad racer (not saying you are bad or i am good racer, but you really should know)...
I imagine if Scawen implemented rain, you would spin at the first rain drops...

Underlined: Same as above, you need to predict where/how the others cars will move... Basic tips for be a good overtaker or to avoid crashs...

Give a look to this video and see about what im talking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF8hsSsiQVA
Quote from CheerioDM :Maybe I could help you to get an upgrade.
Please tell me your system specs.
Frame rate can always be a difference in ability.
Even if it looks smooth on your end.
Most people would not feel comfortable racing at 20 fps.
Or that rate in any other games.

Celeron D (2,26 Ghz)
1 GB Ram
HD 40 GB
Video card onboard 32 MB

Anything will be a help...
Quote from Si Mclaren :

It actually can or am i missing something here...but nevermind, if you actually are satisfied over your fps then let it be.
Quote from Si Mclaren :So you guys want to say that im awesome and can be a new WR holder if i get a better PC?

actually you can see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RrtYnMl3i4

I uploaded this video some years ago, it was saved 60fps, and you can see it's smoother than other videos, one guy even commented there "such a high framerate", and got thumbs up
Quote from edge3147 :Nothing says crap like 10 fps.

Compare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... eature=watch_response_rev (10 FPS Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... A8WSE&feature=related (60 FPS & 30 FPS Comparison)

Disclaimer: If you have a crappy computer, chances are you will not see a difference in the videos.

Quote from Amynue :AFAIK YouTube can't go faster than 30FPS so this video doesnt make sense, because both left and right side of video goes at 30fps.

Quote from Skagen :You are correct, Youtube support a maximum video framerate of 30 frames per second.

Very funny , just because you thought the other had higher frame rate, you thought that it is smoother

I've got a hint for you, edge. Cut a piece of paper and write a large number to it, e.g. 10000. Then tape the paper to the upper corner of your monitor, over the FPS display. You should now be a second or two faster per lap.
Quote from Si Mclaren :Also, just to remember: Movies, both on cinemas or Youtube, are just 24 FPS...

Videos/movies at 24 FPS are frame blended to create an illusion that they are actually running smooth. Games aren't.

@Specht77 Ah, I miss the old days when youtube supported 60 FPS.
Quote :Any difference over this CAN'T BE NOTICED BY NAKED EYES...

The actual limit of human perception is in the 50-60 fps region.

25fps is the threshold for observing movement rather than individual images.
Quote from Si Mclaren :Also, just to remember: Movies, both on cinemas or Youtube, are just 24 FPS...

That may be the case for the moment, but it won't be for long. Many directors and executives are moving or wanting to move to 48fps or higher.
Quote from Becky Rose :The actual limit of human perception is in the 50-60 fps region.

It goes even further when trained.

"The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to perceive 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS. "

source: http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html but Ive read that somewhere else a while ago.

Personally I find quite unpleasant to play under 40fps~.
I personally don't note a difference @ over 100 fps in LFS, 80 not much but under 60 is a bit annoying. 35 with full grid is playable but makes it a bit dangerous for a driver like me that is used to be playing @ higher fps.

Altough, on Skyrim, it's still playable @ 30-40 fps and I don't see a difference as quickly as I do in LFS, but that's propably because a racing game is more intensive than some role playing game
I can spot the difference between 90 fps and 100 fps in CS 1.6. Same in LFS. I have constant 100fps in both now, but my old computer was right at the edge in CS. I have been playing LFS @ 30-40FPS, which now I can't do. But it is possible

[Merged] Discussion regarding LFS development
(1577 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG