The online racing simulator
C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Reading the marshall character thread it seems quite a lot of UK marshalls have been used as reference

I was just mocking around because most marshalls I see from the UK are what Crashgate said...
My favourite entry from the ongoing trailer movie competition...

http://youtu.be/IkC2K5trI3I

O_o

(downloading new friday build atm... )
Decided to drop some cash on this, just to enjoy the pretty graphics if nothing else.

Quite confused about the content availability related to payment status though. Will I have access to all the cars and tracks with the team member status? Like that twisty mountain track?

Slow torrent download is slow.
FFFFUUUUU download speed is jumping somewhere between 2 and 700 kb/s

Anyways, maybe the rain comes sooner then expected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... p;feature=player_embedded

(Ian already made a joke about the NFS shift physics )

Edit:
Quote from Matrixi :Decided to drop some cash on this, just to enjoy the pretty graphics if nothing else.

Quite confused about the content availability related to payment status though. Will I have access to all the cars and tracks with the team member status? Like that twisty mountain track?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the mountain tracks are for full member and up (because they wanted a bigger seperation between team and full member). <--- foreget that ^^

At the moment full members have full access to all game content. But at some point there will be some exclusive cars and tracks for senior and above I guess.
Quote from Matrixi :Decided to drop some cash on this, just to enjoy the pretty graphics if nothing else.

Aye, you get them as a Team Member.

The only restriction at the moment is that Juniors don't get the 2 open road tracks.

Currently, yes. The senior+ tiers have an exclusive track perk, though, so in the future there might be a track you won't get for the duration of development. Right now the only tier locked content is the country roads pair of tracks, which are not available to juniors.
Allright, thanks guys. Guess I'll upgrade to senior member in the future if the physics aren't completely hopeless.
Today's build already brings the Zonda R (even with know issues and bugs) and the non-Indianapolis Raceway, as other improvements to all other stuff, including a brand-new FFB code for testing.
This keeps getting better and better...might "need" to invest
Indeed starts to feel gooder, ive had some quite old build that had all the cars handling about the same like the r500 really. But the pre-last build was very mint, the whole view of the thing is amazing and ffb was decent. Im just curious how can they make a game look so good yet so fps capable as the rest are just hopeless if you go anywhere near high quality settings, that atleast on my pc.
Cant wait to get a grip on that R...
Quote from ZanZi :ffb was decent

I wouldn't call it decent yet.... it's WIP so no point bashing it too much.

Apparently it is basically the same form as ISI games and not as in LFS - as in FFB needs be tweaked and scripted to match each situation. I.e. in lowspeeds in Leonus Turbo FFB is wrong, very strong pull to left, high speed is ok. In the Caterham there's severe oscillation in center position no matter the speed. This was with the old version with T500RS - not the most popular wheel, still, the devs have one in-house and I don't think Scawen does, yet had no such problems with LFS's FFB.

Today's build apparently has lots of changes to FFB - still downloading....
Didn't really want to download another 3,5GB but with 4mb/s it's not too bad. I can't wait to try out the new FFB.
Quote from Bose321 :Didn't really want to download another 3,5GB but with 4mb/s it's not too bad. I can't wait to try out the new FFB.

10Mb/s unlimited internet that actually is unlimited the torrent doesn't take too long.. it's not much of chore, watching a movie while waiting and posting to forums

ed. completed in 65mins@890kB/s avg and still 40min left in the movie..... watching Amy Smart get hiccups and get boinked, guess I'll watch the movie first...
Though graphical part looks stunning, i'm not going to invest a single penny to the product until i have tried it myself...bring on the goddarn demo already!!!
Quote from Krane :10Mb/s unlimited internet that actually is unlimited the torrent doesn't take too long.. it's not much of chore, watching a movie while waiting and posting to forums

ed. completed in 65mins@890kB/s avg and still 40min left in the movie..... watching Amy Smart get hiccups and get boinked, guess I'll watch the movie first...

Crank? Awesome movie.

Quote from -NightFly- :Though graphical part looks stunning, i'm not going to invest a single penny to the product until i have tried it myself...bring on the goddarn demo already!!!

It's still much, much too early for a demo...
Quote from MAGGOT :Crank? Awesome movie.

That's the one! Was it the hiccups or gettin' jiggy with it that gave it a way?
Okay.. having messed around a few good hours with this I can speak of my "first" quick impressions on this alpha/beta/whatever it currently is. I had tried some older build version briefly at my friends place some months ago, but that doesn't really count.

Graphics: With one word, wow. I think these guys have some of the most talented artists out there right now. It does really look bloody fantastic. The effects aren't overdone like in some racing games in the past couple years, they are just the right mix of eye candy and realism. Photorealistic would be a term I think would fit this game. It's a shame the SLI support seems to be very bugged out at the moment, the moment I turned it on the game turned in to a complete slideshow instead of increasing the framerate. One GTX 680 was still enough to run it smoothly with everything except the anti-aliasing cranked up to ultra/max.

Sounds: So-so. Some cars sound pretty good at certain revs (Gumpert, Nascar-thingie, Zonda etc.) but some of them sound very generic and the modern formulas nearly made my ears bleed. There doesn't seem to be any dynamic engine load based sounds though, it's just RPM based samples.

Physics: Sadly this is where things start to fall apart. I wasn't really expecting much in this area, considering the devs are the same guys who made the rubbish "simulator" NFS games, but I was still very underwhelmed. The oversteer effect seems to be completely canned and sometimes the car just behaves totally illogically related to your inputs. It felt a lot like NFS Shift that someone has tried to mod and tweak to be more realistic, but the core game engine just isn't set up for realism. I know it will all be developed further, but I honestly believe this game engine to be completely unfit for this kind of task that they are trying to put it through.

FFB: I first tried driving with my G25 and after spending an hour I finally managed to make the control settings somewhat drivable. There was still quite a nasty input lag (just like in NFS shifts..) and it never really felt like any of the controls were directly connected to the car. It felt more like I was trying to influence the car to do what I wanted it to do, not the instant input you get in LFS or iRacing where you feel like you are one with the car. The actual steering feedback in most cars was also very numb even with all the force settings cranked up to the max, which made the laggy inputs even harder to control. The numbness reminded me a lot from GT5, but pCars is even worse in this regard. In GT5 you can atleast catch and control a simple slide the way you expect, in this game that is a very hard task even for a seasoned drifter. With a 360 gamepad the driving was much more enjoyable, as the numb feedback was no longer a factor and the game became much more like a semi-sim.

Tracks: I figured this needed its own category, because the devs have gone for quite a strange approach here I think. Some of the unlicensed tracks that are obvious copies of real world tracks are kind of a strange hybrid between fantasy and real tracks. They remind you of the real deal, but some of the proportions and corner radiuses are just completely wrong. The licensed tracks seem to be fairly well modeled, but driving the "unofficial" real tracks just made me really confused having learned them in other sims where they are modeled properly. I honestly think they just should keep the properly modeled official tracks completely separated from the unofficial ones by simply replacing the unofficial tracks with fantasy tracks if they can't get a proper license for them.

Overall: I don't regret spending 25€ on this, I think the graphics artists deserve it. As an actual racing game, I don't think they will achieve very much with this game engine if they keep trying to go for the simulator approach. The physics and FFB needs to be started from scratch and completely rewritten, trying to tweak the NFS Shift engine for realism simply doesn't work.
Matrixi, I haven't test this new build, but I assure you that I haven't had any issues with input lag since the first build of December. You should check the post where people post controls configurations.

Apart of that, this build has a brand new FFB engine for testing and feedback from everybody. Honestly, I don't have that feeling of unilogical behavior. You have to take in consideration that some content (mostly cars and the newer tracks) are in a very early phase of development. I recommend you to test the Audi's (Asano, both the DTM and the Lemans) and the Lotus 1967 F1 at Conecticut or Bologna, because they are the cars and the tracks that have more working hours on them.

The tracks are slightly changed on purpose, for licensing reasons.

Check the "The A.J.'s Thread" to follow the work that has been done and what is coming. The most exciting thing is a tire deformation engine (that is not working actually) based on the same principals as LFS, unlike rfactor and the others.

And regard that although all the fancy looks, this is only planed to be released in Summer 2013.
Ok, now I tested it and I have to say that I don't have any lag, but the FFB has made a clear step back. The humps and bumps like high kurbs are not represented and I don't know why. I had to put the FFB values up to 100 to get a minimum feel, and I used to have it at 76 at last week's build.

Here I go post my opinion and discuss with the other guys on the PCARS forum.
Quote from NunoMike :Ok, now I tested it and I have to say that I don't have any lag, but the FFB has made a clear step back. The humps and bumps like high kurbs are not represented and I don't know why. I had to put the FFB values up to 100 to get a minimum feel, and I used to have it at 76 at last week's build.

Here I go post my opinion and discuss with the other guys on the PCARS forum.

One good thing is the notchness and oscillations seem to have been dialed out. Personally I felt that pre 174 (probably 169) was the best in terms of FFB.

Can't make an omelet without breaking eggs I suppose..
Quote from Electrik Kar :One good thing is the notchness and oscillations seem to have been dialed out. Personally I felt that pre 174 (probably 169) was the best in terms of FFB.

Can't make an omelet without breaking eggs I suppose..

I only had time to try out the Zonda and the FFB is really weak. Is it just the Zonda? or are all the cars like that?

Anyway, the Zonda was great fun. Just like Clarkson said on Top Gear, the Zonda R is actually incredibly easy to drive, tons of grip under braking and cornering. You just chuck it into a corner and it sticks, I am liking it so far.
Quote from NunoMike :Ok, now I tested it and I have to say that I don't have any lag, but the FFB has made a clear step back.

There was something wrong with yesterday's build's ffb. They've released a fix that fixed most of the problems, lowspeed ffb problem is still there.

Quote from Andy Garton :I've attached a very experimental exe with a couple of subtle FFB changes, please try and see what you think. Unzip to your pCARS folder and run the exe (keep the existing build exe so you can go back to it to compare). I won't say exactly what has changed yet as I don't want to skew your feedback.

(Usual disclaimer also that it just might not work at all as it's built from latest code, not on the official build machine.)

http://forum.wmdportal.com/sho ... amp;viewfull=1#post144890

A fix right away due to the concerns and feedback given by the people testing the builds. That is why I say PCARS has potential to be a great sim.

Quote from NunoMike :

Check the "The A.J.'s Thread" to follow the work that has been done and what is coming. The most exciting thing is a tire deformation engine (that is not working actually) based on the same principals as LFS, unlike rfactor and the others.

Where is this thread? Can you post a direct link please

... nevermind, I found it

http://forum.wmdportal.com/sho ... d.php?4868-A.J.-s-Thread-)

C.a.r.s.
(968 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG