The online racing simulator
Driving tips for rallycross?
(48 posts, started )
Does anyone have (links to) driving tips for rallycross? I've just started to appreciate rallycross, and I'm trying to figure out what is helpful and what is harmful for my laptimes. I have read lots of tips for tarmac racing, but the do's and don'ts for driving on the black stuff are not (all) valid when you're racing on dirt.
RallyX = Contact Racing, don't be afraid to chuck it up the inside and slide along someones door, a move deemed dangerous and stupid in circuit racing is pretty much fair game on RallyX

This doesn't mean wrecking is acceptable though!
If your new forget about Locked diffs WR sets.
Start with LSD but with hi lock percentage (you need traction after all) and a good NON understeering set; this way the car will be easy to handle and you will learn trottle control
This will apply also to rb4, dont know for the FWD cars, but who drives FWD in rallycross?
Work on consistancy and control of the car, good lap times will automatically follow.
If you dont have a good control of the car go FERallyx with LX, and practice a lot, then the other cars will became toys.
Yes rallycross allow some more contact, but it's not banger racing, and lot of people seems to dont know that.
You can be more aggressive but dont count on contact to pass someone.
I will post some easy but still fast sets this evening, now gotta go!
Have fun!
Rubenz81, sadly thread author is demo player, so LX @ FE is not possible.
I guess you drive XFG+Blackwood Rallycross. Keep full throttle in every corner (or in nearly), a part from the first corner and try to not slide too much. With XRG its quite the same, but with a little more sliding. With XRT its like drifting, slide through the corners and try to keep as much throttle as possible..
Quote from MorroW :Rubenz81, sadly thread author is demo player, so LX @ FE is not possible.

Correct, but it will be possible a few days from now, when the license payment arrives.
Besides, other readers of this thread might benefit, too.
Quote from wsinda :Correct, but it will be possible a few days from now, when the license payment arrives.

Best tip i can give you, is become a Rally Slag! Just go flat out, all the time, and not care about the corner or the car!

Typically a rally slag would drive a vehicle such as this :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi ... .2.8ghia.x.arp.750pix.jpg

Or this :
http://img271.imageshack.us/img271/932/27mj.jpg

But these are not available within the game, so you're going to have to improvise.

I remember taking my first steps into Rally Slagdom, at the ripe age of 15 on a private :woohoo: green lane road.

Or just listen to all the other useful comments suggested by other members.
#9 - nihil
Quote from Rubenz81 :If your new forget about Locked diffs WR sets.

Ah, wsinda may be new to LFS, but if its the same person who raced the Summer Cup and Winter Challenges in 'Racer', then I wouldn't underestimate his speed!

:wave2:
#10 - FL!P
Quote from wsinda :Correct, but it will be possible a few days from now, when the license payment arrives.

Great news, wsinda!
Thanks for all the tips!

I'm currently in the low 1:13s (XFG @ BL2) and low 1:14s (XRG @ BL2), driving with the mouse. I use the WR setups from Team Inferno, and they don't seem too hard to handle. The tires' response does seem a bit "spongy" at times (caused by very low pressures, I guess); that makes it hard to keep my line under hard braking (for T1).

What's still difficult is to guess how much sideways you can go, without losing too much speed. The various tire sounds on tarmac are more informative than the single "rumble' sound for dirt.

Hi nihil and FL!P, great to meet you here! :grouphug:
When RX'ing in LFS try not to slide around too many corners. Unless you can really carry the speed in a drift around the corner, don't try it, and treat it just like you would on a tarmac track. You'll get, on average, better times.

Most of the corners on the mud you can cut. Provided you've got a clean line, it'll shave some time off.

The first corner where you come back onto the tarmac (BL GP's straight) is a killer. If you loose speed there, you've lost the whole lap (imho). I treat this one as much like a fully tarmac'ed track as possible; as soon as you get onto the tarmac, you don't want to be going too much sideways - which is the mistake a lot of people seem to make.
RallyX Driving Guide
General tips:
  • First and foremost, forget scandinavian flick and handbrake turns because in LFS rallyX you must be ultra smooth if you want to be quick.
  • Use all the track, and then some. When you are on the loose stuff you should never just drive straight. Always begin setting the attitude of the car for the next bend as soon as you exit the previous turn.
  • Always keep a little throttle on. If you don't the car will lose all momentum and will understeer. As a rule of thumb you want to leave about 20%-40% throttle as you enter each corner. If the car is turbocharged you may need even more throttle to keep the momentum going.
  • On the loose stuff, you can trail brake into corners a lot. On tarmac sections however, try to brake in a straight line.
RWD specific tips:
  • Don't powerslide too much. You can drift the car as you enter a turn but try not to let the tail step out of line as you accelerate out of a corner.
FWD specific tips:
  • Be careful on the tarmac with your gravel tyres. You can overheat them easily if you wheelspin.
  • Don't be tempted to move the brake bias too far back in your setup, because you will find the rear tyres wear out very quickly and unevenly causing blowouts.
4WD specific tips:
  • Experiment with left foot braking. Using throttle and brakes together can help improve turn in and allow you to hold a tighter line. Also it keeps the turbo spooled up and ready to launch you out of the corner.
Quote from the_angry_angel :The first corner where you come back onto the tarmac (BL GP's straight) is a killer. If you loose speed there, you've lost the whole lap (imho). I treat this one as much like a fully tarmac'ed track as possible; as soon as you get onto the tarmac, you don't want to be going too much sideways - which is the mistake a lot of people seem to make.

Right. I often go wide coming out of that corner, and lose lots of time and speed (plus the HLVC). It's probably best to not go sideways at all when the car hits the tarmac, and also to have the nose pointing exactly right.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#15 - CSU1
    Quote from wsinda :Right. I often go wide coming out of that corner, and lose lots of time and speed (plus the HLVC). It's probably best to not go sideways at all when the car hits the tarmac, and also to have the nose pointing exactly right.

This probably isn't the fastest approach, but I do have a LOT of fun doing this, and it can provoke some close racing (specifically I'm thinking back about 9 months or so ago, when I had a few fun (and pushy ) races against Vendetta, where we both used similar tactics).

What I try and do on this corner is get the car into a bit of a sideways slide and align the car so that all you have to do is floor it and go in a straight line, directly cutting across the tarmac to the opposite side of the track. This lines you up for a smooth entry into the following corner onto the mud again and you avoid as much steering as possible on the tarmac; which lets you carry loads of momentum. As soon as you try and make any signifcant steering when you come off the mud, you've lost it. The other way around isn't so critical.
    How to keep car intact till the end of the race?
    Hello,

I am beginner with this game, and have only been playing the demo so far (considering to register it though).

I've been trying the rally cross mode on the blackwoods track, but I seems my car breaks down most times before finish line.

It puzzles me because I don't collide with anything, and I think that I drive quite carefully except some slides and little jumps that happens here and there during the track.

However, so far I've always broken my gearbox or get right / left rear damage. Can anyone give any tips how to keep the car intact in the racing mode?

Meanwhile I keep trying Thanks for all the possible tips.

-v
    Is it really a faulty gearbox, or does the clutch overheat?
    Faultygerabox I don't think it's faulty gearbox (). I think it's clutch overheating.

v01i0 - everytime you shift up, release your throttle for a moment (the moment you are shifting), also you shouldn't keep pressing the throttle while in air if you aren't going for a hot-lap.
    I don't really have advice but:
    Quote :
    wsinda
    S2 licensed

EDIT
    Oh bummer... 2006 :-/
    The biggest difference will come by just lifting off the throttle whilst the drive tyres are airborne (just think - motocross riders always lift off when airborne too).
    Quote from v01i0 :Hello,

I am beginner with this game, and have only been playing the demo so far (considering to register it though).

I've been trying the rally cross mode on the blackwoods track, but I seems my car breaks down most times before finish line.

It puzzles me because I don't collide with anything, and I think that I drive quite carefully except some slides and little jumps that happens here and there during the track.

However, so far I've always broken my gearbox or get right / left rear damage. Can anyone give any tips how to keep the car intact in the racing mode?

Meanwhile I keep trying Thanks for all the possible tips.

-v

Hello,

firstly you must use a manual gearbox

secondly you must have a good setup
    Here are the WR Setup for XFG/BL2
    Attached files
    XFG_WR_bl2.set - 132 B - 1009 views
    best thing to do is drive as clean as you can without any hits then ever so slightly drive faster and faster and still.. faster again...

Aggression doesn't mean fastt, especially on Rally but then again demo racing online is a minefield
    server [MRc] Master Rally is the best demo server so you can find,
    The server is only reachable with Rally tires and locked to a limit of PB 1:12:00.

Of course if you choose the bad servers as [AA] Rallycross or France Pro Crash is the same, many crashers!
    Quote from Sobis :Faultygerabox I don't think it's faulty gearbox (). I think it's clutch overheating.

v01i0 - everytime you shift up, release your throttle for a moment (the moment you are shifting), also you shouldn't keep pressing the throttle while in air if you aren't going for a hot-lap.

Thank you. Okay, I'll try that one. I use manual gearbox (I guess, I mean I have to press gear down or up -button every time I wish to gear up or down), and I didn't realease the throttle so it might be that.

And thanks for everyone else for their tips as well! A tip of a hat.

-v

(48 posts, started )
    FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG