The online racing simulator
OLFSL needs you!
Alright, the time has come for the OLFSL to reach out and have some community participation.

The OLFSL are currently seeking racers who are fluent with english, to commentate on live races. After the trial done by myself over two race weekends, the commentary has been a big success which has led to bigger things.

So heres what you need:

Confidence in yourself
LFS S2
A Microphone
Winamp
Free weekends
And to be able to chatter randomly if nothing is happening on track (lol)

And one FINAL point (VERY IMPORTANT)

We want both regular and non-regular commentators, so if you could manage a regular spot, then please say so in the reply. This is the same for non-regular's.

Please note that regular drivers will have a priority over temporary drivers, regular drivers are making a commitment so we'd like to show our respect for that.

***** HOW TO APPLY *****

To apply please reply to this post and state your name, racername and whether you want a permanant or a temporary post.
#2 - Scoop
I can be (at least now) a temporary comentator duno what hours u need me if it's past 19:00 CEST then i can do every weekend

And about talking u're gona have to stop me cause once i get started i don't stop ask my teammates
#3 - LawVS
I wouldn't mind doing some commentary mate. In my other online hobby I'm an online voice actor so I can talk gibberish for hours on end! :P So yeah, I'm LawVS ([tsr.]LawVS) and since I only just joined the OLFSL season I can easily accomodate a permanent position.
Quote from Scoop :u're gona have to stop me cause once i get started i don't stop ask my teammates

Ermm yes, I can confirm that... illepall
PM's sent to those interested...
Is there no way of these being recorded like what they do when the MoE is on? Commentary and also game footage?
*coughs* shut up and wait :P don't spoil my MoFo'ing surprise ! *edit* right here is the deal, we ARE considering a live race stream for two races per race weekend, this is because im the only one currently with the hardware to make it happen.
Another thing is bandwidth - UK DSL lines can only upload a max of 256kbps, and Streaming servers can cost anywhere from £80 to £110 per month...

That is until I remembered a little loophole, I don't really wish to disclose here until we get it up and running but the Fiendi's have sent me a spare pc to get the Live stream working :-)

The live stream WILL be running for Round 7 on August 27th for Pools 1 and 4 (and 7 if applicable)

More details when I have the pc and the whole process setup :-)
Sounds great m8...good luck with it all.
Thanks, well thats two new hopeful commentators added to the list anyone else interested at all, :-)
#10 - nilo
Bandwith
Regarding bandwidth/streaming server I maybe can help a bit here. 512kbps upload and 24/7 running server at home.

Plus experience in running a shoutcast server.
ahhh nice one on your connection, but what i mean is we are paying for the video stream to be hosted, the problem we have is getting the source UP to the server fast enough,:-s

Are you interested in commentating ?

Dave
#12 - nilo
Quote from f1r3b4ll :ahhh nice one on your connection, but what i mean is we are paying for the video stream to be hosted, the problem we have is getting the source UP to the server fast enough,:-s

Are you interested in commentating ?

No.

256kbps isn`t fast enough???? So, we can expect a hi fi quality stream?
the 256kb stream is currently under testing, at the current moment I'm dedicating 48kbps to audio and 160-180kbps to video, the odd thing is that with high quality resizing in the codec - it seems to make no difference to the quality of the video if its 320x240 or 512x384 :-s hmmmm
What about using a p2p tv application for the stream? It would be free.
p2p is a good idea also but it still doesnt get past the fact that the broadcast ing stream is limited to 256kb/s - A p2p would just share the load from the server, and since the video server is paid for - it can handle 100people connecting.

One question i would like to pose is this: Is anybody actually genuinly interested in watching a live stream provided by the OLFSL... ?
Quote from f1r3b4ll :One question i would like to pose is this: Is anybody actually genuinly interested in watching a live stream provided by the OLFSL... ?

What a question. YES!
Quote from f1r3b4ll : One question i would like to pose is this: Is anybody actually genuinly interested in watching a live stream provided by the OLFSL... ?

Yes

Now were gonna get 100 posts in a row all just saying "Yes".
YES!!!

And for selfish reasons I'd love a 256kbs stream or even a bit less, cause thats maximum for my connection (and still for many more people). But I wouldn't mind more if stream is gonna be available for download like it is on Gamer-FM, I always watch those later since they are 384kbs.
your max download is 256kb/s and my max uplaod is 256kb/s so you can expect the stream to be running at about 220kb/s :-) so you CAN watch it live

And sorry for the rather dumb question but it had to be asked... the one main point of doing the video stream the way i am is that it costs next to nothing to set up and uses the software that you all either already have installed or that can easily be installed :-)

well everythings fitting into place, I should have the Stream PC arriving and setup by next week and ready for a good old testing,...

Dave
#20 - nilo
what kind of stream you will use? I hope not wmv-crap ;-)
of course its not WMV Crap - its NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video) using the ON2 VP6.2 codec - Quality @ 10 and sized at 320x240...

Of course this is the first estimate based on some converted videos... so its going to be pretty ad-hoc over the next few weeks..

Dave
This is looking way better then i expected i'm changing status to permanent comentator
excellent :-) well expect to hear from me thru next week :-) we will be trialing you new guys out during the summer break :-)

Dave

P.s. Live commentary on now during the NASSA Tune-up Race

http://204.13.175.241:8008
HI, I would like to try my hand at commentating

hell yeah to live race feeds
Lol -will get in touch with you then mate re: getting that sorted

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG