The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Quote from atledreier :What I can't get my head around is the fact that the NTM works on some cars and not others. if it was all that good, it would work on all cars, or none?
And tweaks made to cars all the time? In my book that screams "fudge" long and far.

Not really. Tire models aren't quite as cut and dry as that. Everything (especially tires) is subject to garbage-in/garbage-out to an extent. The model could be perfect, but the stiffnesses or load sensitivity or anything else could still be a little too far off just because of the input data you used in an attempt at recreating a particular tire. A set of tires on one car is bound to be closer to the real set than it is on another. There's always room for a little bit of improvement on any given car or tire, so I take the updates to tires on various cars as a good thing. It means they're paying attention.

The split between front and rear tires on a particular car is especially critical. Changing the grip or lateral stiffness on one end or the other by only 1% can have a noticeable effect.
I think hyper is right. They need to go for the 4wd version or a toned down 2wd RUF. 700bhp will be to much of a handful.

edit: Has anyone else found that paypal/iR like to keep the dollar they take of you as a credit check?. I'm wondering if they keep everyone's $1 payment?? (yeah its a small amount, but take a small amount from 25,000 people!!)
That looks and sounds good!
I've just gotten back into iRacing and am enjoying it once again, but jeez do people have sticks up their asses.

I just got chewed out for racing a guy too had because I was 'slowing him own'. I'll admit, I bumped him once (0x), which I apologized for before and after the race, as well as backed off to give him a break, but he bitched me out because I ran too much side-by-side! Honestly, what do you want me to do, wipe your ass for you instead of challenge for the lead?

I didn't even beat him in the end, he ran himself off the track trying to pull away from me. Such a sore loser, I ended his 4 race win streak.
Quote from Rappa Z :I've just gotten back into iRacing and am enjoying it once again, but jeez do people have sticks up their asses.

I just got chewed out for racing a guy too had because I was 'slowing him own'. I'll admit, I bumped him once (0x), which I apologized for before and after the race, as well as backed off to give him a break, but he bitched me out because I ran too much side-by-side! Honestly, what do you want me to do, wipe your ass for you instead of challenge for the lead?

I didn't even beat him in the end, he ran himself off the track trying to pull away from me. Such a sore loser, I ended his 4 race win streak.

Well that's actually good racing as far as I'm concerned, too bad the guy doesn't know that. I won many a race in LFS just by pestering the guy in front of me - unseasoned racers will almost inevitably make a mistake if you just hang around and act like you could do something at any moment. Then they generally out-brake themselves or something, seems to me there's a lot of psychology in racing. I was never the fastest guy out there, but I was consistent and fast enough that I could usually pressure the guys ahead into doing something unfortunate... It's actually quite rewarding to hang in there for a lot of laps, watching your prey crumble and sweat and then eventually going wide or getting on power too early Makes me want to race online again
It can be very annoying when people keep fighting for every little inch in every corner, because it means everyone in front is getting away and those behind are catching up. It costing more positions for both is a real possibility. Being able to keep up some semblance of race pace while battling for a position is a part of racing..

But he was still a douche for whining about it.
Okay so I just tried out the NTM for the very first time. (just renewed my subscription)

Are the cars suppose to be this loose on the rear end while turning? or is it just my shitty driving? Normally I can easily adapt with other video games. But I tried it for an hour and I still find it really difficult to keep the car on track.

(I was driving the skipper and the MX5)
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :
Are the cars suppose to be this loose on the rear end while turning?

No, in a nutshell they're not but iRacing forum fags will tell you it's realistic.
Quote from anttt69 :I think hyper is right. They need to go for the 4wd version or a toned down 2wd RUF. 700bhp will be to much of a handful.

I have a feeling that the physics model might not be ready for 4wd yet.
Quote from Falcon77 :I have a feeling that the physics model might not be ready for 4wd yet.

I think all that power to the rear wheels could be even more of a headache.
I had it when im driving on road and suddenly im floating on ice....no wait thats just iracing. I actually really do dislike it. They cater to the oval side long before the road.
The snap of oversteer is really sudden and unpredictable. I liked the OTM.
Quote from AstroBoy :I had it when im driving on road and suddenly im floating on ice....no wait thats just iracing. I actually really do dislike it. They cater to the oval side long before the road.

Like I said previously, I think they focused the NTM on the oval racing (which feels good) but it's like the road racing community just got the left-overs.
Quote from PMD9409 :I think all that power to the rear wheels could be even more of a headache.

I meant the physics model
Oh course, it's high time they made it capable of 4wd, but a lot of things regarding physics development happen very slowly at iR. (Not that I'm really faulting them, I know perfectly well how time consuming something seemingly trivial could be to implement. This is mostly due to the hardship of matching the new feature with your existing codebase if you didn't take that feature into consideration previously.)
Quote from Falcon77 :I meant the physics model
Oh course, it's high time they made it capable of 4wd, but a lot of things regarding physics development happen very slowly at iR. (Not that I'm really faulting them, I know perfectly well how time consuming something seemingly trivial could be to implement. This is mostly due to the hardship of matching the new feature with your existing codebase if you didn't take that feature into consideration previously.)

Yeah I should've known that is what you meant. The scary part is that sometimes I believe there physical model can be behind their tire model. When reading the Assetto Corsa review on AutoSimSport, this is exactly what came to mind.

Oh, and Corvette GT2 driver Jordan Taylor had this to say about iRacing's Corvette:
Quote :It's really hard to compare to the iRacing Corvette. This is the GT2 car, and the one on iRacing is the GT1 car. From talking to Gavin and Magnussen, they said that the GT2 is getting close to making the same downforce as the GT1 used to make, and is only lacking in horsepower. The biggest difference I feel on iRacing is the braking and the cornering. I have a tough time in the iRacing Corvette to feel the tire, it almost feels like it is driving on top of the track (and the tire isn't 'digging' into the track). I think the HPD is really good for this, you can feel the grip, and you can feel it build grip throughout the corner, through the tire. I have very little feel for the Corvette, even on power, it feels like the rear tires are on top of the track, and it's really easy to get wheelspin and snap oversteer. Braking in the real car is extremely good, and when I brake in the iRacing Corvette, I can't attack under braking as much, seems to lockup very easy (even at the start of a brake zone).

I don't wear hats, but thank you.
Anybody here wants 20 iRacing Dollars for 20 actualy dollars on Paypal? I don't think I intend to continue racing on this game, and I have $20 in spare, that I won on some competitions. If interested in exchange pm or write here.
Unless you have them on a unused certificate it's useless since you can't send those between other members.
You can't send credits to someone else.

EDIT: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Dammit. I thought you can gift iRacing credits same way as dollars.
Hmm, can you buy giftcards with iracing credits?
Nope
Quote from PMD9409 :Yeah I should've known that is what you meant. The scary part is that sometimes I believe there physical model can be behind their tire model. When reading the Assetto Corsa review on AutoSimSport, this is exactly what came to mind.

Oh, and Corvette GT2 driver Jordan Taylor had this to say about iRacing's Corvette:

Source for that quote?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG