The online racing simulator
You are so slow Phil.......
Felt fast.

Got addicted to it and drove for about 20 laps straight. Went over 2 seconds faster than before so figured might as well upload another.
20 laps? so you spent a whole hour doing this deadly thing

Good on ya though! it's a very nice laps!
Beta can be cracked easily enough for people not wanting to pay for beta access, but I'm so impressed with it that I'm buying it.
Finally got a chance to do a couple laps last night. Above all, what I learned, was that I would have died many, many times over had I been a driver back in the 60s.

It was fun, though. I enjoyed the old cars on a track far more detailed than what we have in GPL. I have a lot of knock in my steering wheel, though. I've done the suggested torque setting in the player ini as per the thread on the rF forums, but there's still a lot of hard pull on the wheel in some bumps while the rest of the FFB feels a little flat by comparison. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more driving sometime soon and then I can dig a little and sort out my FFB.

Graphically it's ugly, imho. Really just not good, but if I can get the FFB working well and enough 60s content is released for it I think I'll be satisfied with my purchase. Does anyone know if more 60s content is planned from ISI or just have to wait for third party stuff?

Has anyone started sorting out new paint schemes for any of the cars? Now I'm itching to give my "Frankenstein" a new look. (Brownie points for anyone who catches the Death Race 2000 reference!)
Quote from PMD9409 :Here you go BBT (or anyone else): http://youtu.be/-vxJgLS7MVI?hd=1

Still on default setup.

Must've had a grin on your face that whole lap, no?

Quote from MAGGOT :Finally got a chance to do a couple laps last night. Above all, what I learned, was that I would have died many, many times over had I been a driver back in the 60s.

It was fun, though. I enjoyed the old cars on a track far more detailed than what we have in GPL. I have a lot of knock in my steering wheel, though. I've done the suggested torque setting in the player ini as per the thread on the rF forums, but there's still a lot of hard pull on the wheel in some bumps while the rest of the FFB feels a little flat by comparison. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do some more driving sometime soon and then I can dig a little and sort out my FFB.

Graphically it's ugly, imho. Really just not good, but if I can get the FFB working well and enough 60s content is released for it I think I'll be satisfied with my purchase. Does anyone know if more 60s content is planned from ISI or just have to wait for third party stuff?

Has anyone started sorting out new paint schemes for any of the cars? Now I'm itching to give my "Frankenstein" a new look. (Brownie points for anyone who catches the Death Race 2000 reference!)

As far as I know there is more vintage content planned, this is what they say should be ready for the full release:

1960′s Historic Racing (includes both open-wheel and hard-top vehicles)
1970′s stock car racing
Renault Meganes and Clios
Modern Endurance Racing (multiple vehicle classes)
Open-Wheel Trainers
Formula Renault 3.5
Formula ISI

Since there's no 60s hard top vehicles yet I'd assume they're still to come.

What don't you like about the graphics? I think they're a good balance between detail and performance (I can run the game on one video card at max with a full grid, so even for a beta, when it's working right, optimization is decent already). The models look pretty good so far... Not really sure what there is to complain about especially on the LFS forum . If the lighting isn't your taste you could use a post process injector to get it to look how you want I guess?
Only thing annoying me about the graphics is a lack of AA, I don't mind the rest.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Must've had a grin on your face that whole lap, no?

Well during the lap that lap I had this face, because I never knew what was about to happen.

After the lap I had this face.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :As far as I know there is more vintage content planned, this is what they say should be ready for the full release:

1960′s Historic Racing (includes both open-wheel and hard-top vehicles)
1970′s stock car racing
Renault Meganes and Clios
Modern Endurance Racing (multiple vehicle classes)
Open-Wheel Trainers
Formula Renault 3.5
Formula ISI

Since there's no 60s hard top vehicles yet I'd assume they're still to come.

Good news

Quote :What don't you like about the graphics? I think they're a good balance between detail and performance (I can run the game on one video card at max with a full grid, so even for a beta, when it's working right, optimization is decent already). The models look pretty good so far... Not really sure what there is to complain about especially on the LFS forum . If the lighting isn't your taste you could use a post process injector to get it to look how you want I guess?

They just feel.. bland. I don't know how to describe it, but I just find it kind of ugly to look at. Models feel a little low poly (I didn't look for tessellation so they may not be, but I get that impression) and the car body shaders look more like a weird fake gloss from a CAD program than a nice gloss. I don't really know how to put it into words, but I just don't find it to be an attractive looking sim. I find LFS to be much more attractive... at least at South City and Blackwood, anyways. I can't really put my finger on it.

Performance for me is fine, but I've had my new computer for like 8 months and it's fairly quick so I'd be pissed if I had FPS issues. I also had to turn off HDR because the road surface was pure white. I'll have to look into that.
Damn! I don't know what a fast time there is, but that looked smooth.
Got a chance to do some more laps, and a quick race at Spa in the F2... What a blast. Did a wet weather race... was really hairy in some areas where there was a torrential downpour and not in others. Kept me on my toes.

I tried the Megane as well and it felt like rF1 to me. No feel at all in the steering and randomly steps out sometimes? There must be some settings I need to tweak, I must have a different experience than you guys with that car.
I like the feeling of rfactor2. It's not all slidey like iRacing, but has a bit more of a dangerous edge on the limit than LFS. Which would seem to me to be what's right. Overall, I think my favourite sim feel to date. But the crash physics and even external motion of the cars looks poor and arcade-like compared with iRacing or LFS generally. Which is odd. How can it seem right driving, but look wrong on the outside?

I also think the graphics are ugly, like a comic illustration. LFS and Simbim stuff don't look like that. You can see it in the menus too. It's an aesthetic thing I suppose. Hopefully modders can put that right. But it's hardly a big step forward for graphics.

Cockpit sound is great IMO, external sounds of other cars are shite- like a bunch of munchkins imitating a motorbike.
does the world touring masters run with rf1 or 2 these days?
I must be too tired to understand.

Do I need the lifetime license if I never ever will play online? (only offline)

"It say lifetime access to online matchmaking and services". So its about what services include.
No you can get the standard license and you will be able to race online for 18 months (so throughout beta and then 12 months after). Every year after you would have to pay $12 for an extra year of online racing. If you buy the lifetime, you obviously bypass all the "pay per year" nonsense and just get it outright forever like normal.
Quote from PMD9409 :No you can get the standard license and you will be able to race online for 18 months (so throughout beta and then 12 months after). Every year after you would have to pay $12 for an extra year of online racing. If you buy the lifetime, you obviously bypass all the "pay per year" nonsense and just get it outright forever like normal.

That part I do understand. But will there be any degradation in the offline experience after the 18 months?
(like no more mods, no more reactivate after reinstall, no more bug fixes)
Quote from heson :That part I do understand. But will there be any degradation in the offline experience after the 18 months?
(like no more mods, no more reactivate after reinstall, no more bug fixes)

You should still be able to get mods and the sort, and everything should function as normal, however you will just be missing the ability to race online with others.
Quote from Postman Pat :I like the feeling of rfactor2. It's not all slidey like iRacing, but has a bit more of a dangerous edge on the limit than LFS. Which would seem to me to be what's right. Overall, I think my favourite sim feel to date. But the crash physics and even external motion of the cars looks poor and arcade-like compared with iRacing or LFS generally. Which is odd. How can it seem right driving, but look wrong on the outside?

I also think the graphics are ugly, like a comic illustration. LFS and Simbim stuff don't look like that. You can see it in the menus too. It's an aesthetic thing I suppose. Hopefully modders can put that right. But it's hardly a big step forward for graphics.

Cockpit sound is great IMO, external sounds of other cars are shite- like a bunch of munchkins imitating a motorbike.

rFactor2 and iRacing but you are a demo racer here?
What gives?
Quote from CheerioDM :rFactor2 and iRacing but you are a demo racer here?
What gives?

Good point. I was a conscientious objector about something in LFS so long ago now I can't remember what it was - engine sounds or transmission maybe. Transmissions OK I think now probably. I'd have to search my posts to find out. Then waiting for the update it didn't seem worth it 'till then....

I just had another drive of NkPro (ahem), and after rF2, it seems too easy holding slides. Can't be that easy in RL. Even top drifters are more busy with the steering doing it. And iRacing feels bad now. I think rF2 has the best tyre model out. I never got on with rF1 btw.

No, there's always been elements of LFS I approved of greatly. But to me (I think this is part of it) it seems more like a hobby for Scawen - an intellectual puzzle of solving the tyres that's gone on too long now from the point of customers. You've got to have some vague time frame, and then just say it is what it is. And work on the next iteration. Unless he's getting no where and going in circles. Either way something needs to happen. And no other track content is laughable when you think what modders have put out for free in this time.
Quote from Postman Pat :And iRacing feels bad now. I think rF2 has the best tyre model out. I never got on with rF1 btw.

I wonder if Todd is/will try it, I'd like to know what he thinks...
Is it bad that I'm sitting here jonesing for more vintage open wheel action? I've never wanted to play anything more than I do right now.

Damn work and commitment! >:|
Painting templates for the BETA cars released.

I know what I'm doing next time I can get away from my girlfriend for a few hours

The Rfactor thread. (rF & rF2)
(431 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG